Isaac
Years ago

Taipans announce Torrey Craig will return

He's BACK! Torrey Craig will return to the Taipans on a one-year deal for 2015/16.

Topic #37664 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice work SNAKES

Reply #541775 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

great signing, he had a decent NZNBL season.

Reply #541810 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

needs to recover from a minor knee op

Reply #541812 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good player. Can be a bit chaotic on offense at times, but have to appreciate his energy and hustle.

Reply #541814 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I would not be too carried away.

Craig averaged 19 ppg across 7 games against Adelaide and Perth, dropping to 17 ppg if you include his last game against Perth (where he scored 0 pts in 8 mins).

Across the rest of the competition, he averaged 6.5ppg.

Obviously he fit in well with the team, but he is only averaged 19.8 minutes a game.

Reply #541817 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If this was an Adelaide signing, there'd be endless cries of "budget!" and "David Cooper was NZ NBL MVP!"

Reply #541819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps but compared to ebe and mcneil i would love craig as one of the imports. Would very interested to know what craig is on compared to mcneil... the flashes I saw from craig i liked alot. Seem to buy into taipans system very nicely. Not many imports would want to return having played 20min a game!!!

Reply #541821 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I'd take Torrey in a heart beat. He lit us up!

Reply #541822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly seeing what he did against good teams like us and Perth last season I'd rather Craig as our starting SF than Ebi Ere.

Reply #541824 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He didn't hold the ball a lot or force much and is athletic. His numbers would have been better if he was more selfish but his contribution helped the Taipans get to the finals so I imagine they're pretty happy with what he gives for what he costs

Reply #541825 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Hmm, no thanks.

There was this guy once who lit us up completely who was going to be the best ever signing for the Sixers (Nathan Herbert). No offense against Nathan, but that game was not representative of his likely or usual output.

If you only watched Sixers' games last year, you would take Craig in a heart beat. He was the 'Pan's best player in those games (which were all early in the season before the Sixers started playing well). But in other games he was largely a non-factor or just a minor (if useful) part of the supporting cast.

With respect to him, Craig is not even in the same conversation as Ere, who was an MVP calibre player in his early years in the league. Can't vouch for him now, but you need to compare apples with apples.

Reply #541830 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong - I think he's a good player who fits and role and doesn't upset a team. But 36ers fans will complain about everything!

Reply #541832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

XY Herbert suffered a ACL here and as far as the Ebe comments its the can't vouch for him now part. Long long time since he starred in this league.

Reply #541839 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This signing just makes me mad at the 36ers,

Reply #541847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

XY, You're kidding mate. When 36s top Taipans then spruke it up sport!

Reply #541854 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

not sure if Torrey is the type of player who can play through/with injury/recovery.
I didn't mind what he bought to the table the first time around....a bit hit or miss and one dimensional at times.
with that injury you would think it is a a "financially safe gamble" for the Taipans......one I don't think will work this time around.

Reply #541864 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Adelaide wish they could sign a budget import like Craig who actually can deliver according to the teams needs. He had a very selfless first season but bought into the team culture and has been rewarded for that.

Reply #541953 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree with some above, a good fit for Cairns but Adelaide can do better.

Reply #541966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Drake U'u is close to signing with Cairns as well;

Just a whisper around Perth

Reply #542287 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Oh dear, hope there's no merit to that U'u rumour.

Reply #542294 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Its good to see some good imports stick around in the league, it is a big vote of confidence as many of these guys could get contracts elsewhere - possibly for more.

As for Drake U'u, what's so bad about him? I thought he was a pretty serviceable back up?

Reply #542296 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I suppose U'u has some potential, and if anyone's going to extract it it will be Gordie and Fearne.

Reply #542298 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:11 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754