Isaac
Years ago

Boomers ask Mills to play vs NZ

Sounds like it's firming up.

Mills, who always was available for the two-game Oceania Series against the Tall Blacks next Saturday at Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena and the following Tuesday in Wellington, has been contacted by Basketball Australia.
"We’ll always do what’s right for the team," Lemanis said when asked if Mills now was an option.

“The reality is at the moment we have 11 guys (and) we’re allowed to play with 12.

“Anyone we bring in will not have participated in the European tour with us so we just need to assess if that’s in our best interests.”
Full article from Boti

Topic #37667 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

It is a very hazy issue indeed. If you watched the press conference you would see that Lemanis was vague as to whether he would even go in this direction (Using Mills).

He offered up other possibilities, such as grabbing some (comparative) scrub from the Uni Games team or even just rolling with 11 players.

I think there is a few issues at play here; one being that Lemanis wouldn't want to go back on his word, and another being that there might be more to this issue than simply Patty's availability for the Europe tour.

Boti vaguely alluded that the story isn't as clean cut as has been presented, and Lemanis' demeanour at the press conference further confirms this.

At this point we are 3 days post the Exum injury, and we are suppose to believe that Basketball Australia has not successfully made contact with Patty. We also have this strange situation where they say they have tried to contact Patty, but Lemanis isn't sure whether that is the way he would want to go. It is all very odd.

Interesting times ahead.

Reply #541857 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

It would seem a no-brainer but bigger things are at play. Lemanis has set standards & good on him! No one or there egos are above the team!!

Let's see what happens....

Would have thought Patty was not high maintenance?

Reply #541858 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well I can't imagine him being high maintenance, but I have never met the guy to know.

If things are as they appear, then Lemanis' standards shouldn't matter. If he does things simply for the good of the team, then bringing in Patty in light of Exum's injury is a no-brainer.

I am getting the vibe that things aren't rosey between Lemanis and Patty, and that maybe it had been that way before the snub.

Reply #541861 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

GWB, where did Boti make that inference?

Reply #541862 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

On his facebook.

Reply #541863 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think most concerning for the Boomers is the preparation leading into the series.

NZ are 10 times more settled and prepared than the Boomers. It at least appears that way.

The Boomers are a level above the Kiwis in terms of skill, talent, depth, size and should progress.

But be wary of this NZ team. This exact same team (if not worse) had LTU on the ropes last year. They have been playing great in their preparation games and mentally they truly believe they can compete.

I can't stand Henare as a coach but in his short time with the team it has created an unbelievably focussed, hard working and thus far successful culture within that TB program.

Reply #541897 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am not for a second sitting comfortably and secure about a Boomers series win. I think we are as in danger this time as we have been in our lowest times - despite the talent we have.

The preparation was not good enough, and Lemanis' is still looking like keeping our best player off of the team. We might be favourites on paper, but I am uneasy about this series.

Reply #541899 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We don't really have great talent. Both teams have six or seven proven international players. We have more size and depth but we have to be able to execute to take advantage of that.

The problem NZ have is the issues they cause European teams through ball and player movement, changing defences and physicality don't bother Aussies who are used to that style.

Can the Kiwis match the Boomers' physicality without turning the ball over? That will be the key to the series.

Reply #541900 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't know NZ well, do we have height mismatch?

Reply #541901 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, they've only got one true big (Rob Loe) and he's a perimeter player, perhaps NZ's younger version of Dave Andersen. Having said that, Vukona and Fotu are a world-class frontcourt duo who present their own issues even if undersized.

Reply #541902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we could be in trouble this series.

Reply #541909 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

I think we need Millsy, and sometime the rules need to be bent. Still not sure Lemanis is the Coach to take this team forward.

I only managed to watch one of the Lithuania games, and our defense looked disjointed and awkward. Millsy gives us backcourt speed, perimeter offense, and better PG rotation.

Come on BA, throw some money at Goorjian and get the program back on track.

Reply #541914 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anonz, we did play much better in our last game against Slovenia. But I agree, I doubt Lemanis is the guy who will give us results internationally.

This Mills thing is turning into a real fiasco. We are meant to believe that after 3 days they haven't been able to get through to Patty, and we have Lemanis talking like bringing patty in is simply an "option" to weigh up between taking a Uni games player, or going with 11. When we're talking about our best available guard (and possibly, best available player) the thought of any other option is laughable to say the least.

But here we are, and we really don't know where we stand. Those saying that Patty will almost definitely play for us are jumping the gun, and we may even be jumping the gun in assuming that the Boomers have given a real honest effort into contacting him. Boti alluded to their being more to this story, but wouldn't give any specifics. His article does mention that Mills arrival in Melbourne coincides with the beginning of Boomers camp, which is heartening. But will Patty be on court come August 15? Hmmm...

I think Lemanis has talked himself into a corner. If he brings Mills in, he will be contradicting his earlier comments about 'needing' to be in the European tour. His little 'synergy' will be disrupted, and he will have to effectively grovel to a player he cut. However, if he doesn't bring Mills in, he will continue to feel public pressure and scorn, his synergy will be fine, but he will probably be less likely to beat New Zealand. In the coming days, we will see which face saving measure was deemed appropriate for Lemanis.

Reply #541918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you stop with the novels please

Reply #541923 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Agreed GWB. Just from a logic perspective, the Australian Basketball public want to see the best players available representing us on the world stage.

This means Millsy suits up. There are a bunch of Coaches who could provide more value than Lemanis is at the moment.

I'm wondering if the lack of work ethic on defense reflects the rumors that the players and Lemanis have a chemistry problem (ie they hate his guts).

A lineup of Mills-Broekhoff-Ingles-Motum-Bogut would deal with most teams they play against and that's with the luxury of Dellavedova-Goulding-Baynes-Bairstow being on the bench. Alternate Mills and Dellavedova depending on who we play, and what we need at any point in time, and everything's fine especially now that Exum is injured.

Reply #542009 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"I think we could be in trouble this series."

^ Kiwi posting that, presumably ;)

Reply #542012 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Funny how CJ Bruton, Tony Ronaldson, Dillon Boucher, Paul Henare, Mika Vukona & John Rillie all got along with Lemanis fine.

If the Boomers don't want him I'm sure the NBL would love to have him back.

Reply #542018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A lineup of Mills-Broekhoff-Ingles-Motum-Bogut would deal with most teams they play against"

Most under 16 teams maybe. Not internationally

Reply #542020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're an idiot and a hater

Reply #542022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And you're probably someone who thought Delly deserved $5 mil a year

Reply #542024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ranked 11th in the world for a reason. Finishing top 8 is successful, forget about medalling

Reply #542027 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Yawn. I guess only those ranked in the top 3 currently should bother, hey anonymous?

Rankings don't change, teams don't improve, underdogs never beat more heralded teams, and basketball is a completely predictable game. There is apparently not great parody between the top 10-15 teams, and all results are pre-ordained.

I assume this is the same anonymous who said the NBL was one of the worlds worst leagues? (and was proven to be completely wrong)

You're out of your depth in this conversation. Go talk your hate with people who never watch basketball

Reply #542030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably a 9 year old that thinks anything outside of the NBA superstars are crap.

Just ignore him

Reply #542031 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

GWB, Lemanis openly stated that any replacement in the team would be coming in cold, whether it was Mills or someone else. If they're bringing in someone cold, why not make it the best option?

Doubt he had to grovel. Mills strikes me as the sort who would accept whatever team decision was made, then be happy with an opportunity to play regardless.

Reply #542034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proven wrong the NBL is a joke? Can you link to that?

You think dellavedova is a good player. I instantly disregard anything you say in your long winded, stupid replies.

Just lost to a spud Slovenia team. They'll do real well against good teams though. Lol

Reply #542037 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Here's an interesting joke. Of the 13 men who have been top two in scoring at the Olympics or World Cup this millennium, five of them have played NBL.

Reply #542044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty is on the way back now. He will play.

Getting buckets for Australia is what he does.

Reply #542045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Patty and the 9 games he never would have played here if there wasn't a lockout is one of those 5, who are the other 4?

Reply #542047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

World Cups

2002: dirk, victor Diaz
2006: Yao, dirk
2010: Luis scola, KIRK PENNEY
2014: JJ Barea, Andre blatche

Olympics

2000: GAZE, HEAL
2004: pau, PHILL JONES
2008: pau, Yao
2012: MILLS, durant

Two played prior, three played after.

Reply #542052 | Report this post

Rock-Me-Armadelly  
Years ago

Have played, not had played. Shane Heal and Andrew Gaze are untouchable legends of the game, yes it's a cool stat to pull out but you can't claim that Mills playing 9 games during a lock out and Penney coming in and out each year and Jones pretty much coming home to retire really show how strong the league is.

Reply #542056 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

Sure, fair. But what other leagues are represented in that example? Only the nba.

So the nbl really must be terrible and the boomers, awful! Do I have to show this kid the praise Kobe and LeBron had for the boomers for him to see things clear?

Reply #542070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia doesn't have genuine stars playing in the NBL anymore. Who is there that you could compare to Gaze or Heal. Phil Smyth or Brett Maher. Those were the days. When the best players are undrafted or one and done NBA stashed players of course it's gonna make the league look bad

Reply #542074 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

What a stupid and contradictory comment. Eon one hand you list genuine stars, on the other hand you talk about undrafted players and nba stashed.Every name you mentioned as a great was undrafted,nine of them played meaningful nba minutes. By virtue of being in any league that isn't nba, it could be said someone didn't "cut it" at the nba. So I can only assume your argument is everyone who is not in the nba sucks unless you have fond personal memories of them . Is this correct?

Reply #542083 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

*none of them played meaningful NBA minutes* that should be

Reply #542085 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Two played prior, three played after."

Actually, all had played in the NBL prior to being top two in scoring and four played afterwards. The reason this shows how strong the NBL is, is that with the exception of Gaze none of those players stood out above the other quality players in the league.

If the NBL was a joke these world class players would dominate. It's still true today, with Corey Webster as a classic example.

Reply #542086 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am not sure how old this Anonymous is, and how much he actually follows basketball with the real rules. He keeps getting disproven yet continues to press his case. The Jig's up man! NBL is not a crap league, it is a very good league talent wise when compared to other nations, and the Boomers do not suck in regards to talent, and are comparable to the best teams (on paper) outside of USA and Spain.

Watch some international leagues a bit and you will form a new appreciation for the NBL.

Reply #542088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comparable to the best teams

Ranked 11th

Reply #542098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess when you only have six teams you are going to get a concentration of talent. Unlike decent leagues that aren't in trouble of failing each and every year

Reply #542099 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Apart from the obvious factual error you are spot on, the NBL has a high concentration of talent and as a result is of high quality. If you expand significantly the standard will drop.

Reply #542103 | Report this post

PeteK  
Years ago

Patty mills didn't stand out? There was talk he'd win MVP wasn't there?
Shane heal didn't stand out?
Kirk Penney didn't stand out despite four first teams, an MVP, and averaging 24 points in at least two season?

Reply #542106 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I actually said didn't stand out "above the other quality players in the league", which they didn't, they fit nicely in that group.

Reply #542109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aren't comparable to Lithuania and Slovenia in actual basketball. But looking good on paper counts I guess

Reply #542110 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Australia v fellow second tier teams (USA & Spain as top tier) since 2012:

Lost to Brazil by 4
Beat Russia by 2
Lost to Slovenia by 10
Beat Lithuania by 7
Lost to Turkey by 1

On that basis I would say definitely comparable, but it is a concern we haven't been able to seal the deal more often in close games.

Reply #542113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You forgot losing to Lithuanias B team by 12

Reply #542116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is China's league better than the NBL?

(I know you'll say no of course)

Then why did Patty choose to play there in order to face better competition?

Reply #542117 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is that noise I can hear you scraping the bottom of the barrel?

Anon two above, those results are from World Cups and Olympics, painting a pretty clear picture we are comparable with those good teams on the big stage.

Reply #542118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah, that ones my bad. Be nice if we could win those close games as you say, wouldn't mind coming something other than 7th for once.

Reply #542119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back on topic. It has been quite a few days since Exum was injured. Why is it taking so long to name a replacement?

Reply #542121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because everyone knows it's Mills so they don't need to rush?

Reply #542125 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I hope you're right!

Reply #542127 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Then why did Patty choose to play there in order to face better competition?
People play there for the money. It's a country of a billion people and there is a lot of money being pushed through basketball right now.

Reply #542129 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Chinas league is not better than the NBL overall as the standard of chinese players is much lower. They do, however, have good money to pick up some great imports. The chinese contingent is only about at SEABL level if that, and doesn't have the height or size of the Australian league.

I remember the starting point guard of the China team (and he was considered best point guard of the china league) was going to get a gig in the NBL. They tried him out by making him guest in the all star game, and while he pulled a nice pass or two, he was pretty much dominated by everyone on floor (even in a relaxed all star setting) so he was not picked up by the team in the end.

Also, anonymous, the 12 point loss to Lithuania's B team was in a warm up game where they are trying new rotations and figuring things out. I don't think people in the know sit there and consider such games when ranking the ability of teams. I believe that was a game that Delly and Bairstow were rested as well. Have a look at the warm ups from other teams, all sorts of strange results happen because winning warm ups is secondary to trying plays and rotations. I really wish you would stop writing things because you are scraping the bottom of the barrel and everything you say looks foolish in light of evidence.

Reply #542136 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anonymous, you contradict yourself repeatedly. You just said "Aren't comparable to Lithuania and Slovenia in actual basketball. But looking good on paper counts I guess"

1. You forget we beat Lithuania in the World Cup (when it actually mattered)

2. Only just before you implied that the Boomers do not look good on paper.

You just want to hate, don't you? Facts don't support you

Reply #542137 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"Comparable to the best teams

Ranked 11th"

11th out of 230 countries.

You don't know international basketball dude, and with every sentence you write, you further underline that fact.

The difference between 4th and 12th in world basketball is very very close. Anybody within that range could beat eachother on any given night. Might I add we didn't have Patty Mills or Andrew Bogut to compete last year? Yeah, we almost snuck in the top 8 with our B team - so take a rest you troll

Reply #542138 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"I guess when you only have six teams you are going to get a concentration of talent. Unlike decent leagues that aren't in trouble of failing each and every year"

Ah, so before you said the NBL had no talent, now you admit there is a 'concentration of talent' - in affect admitting the NBL has a high standard of talent. You are having to concede a lot, aren't you?

You are better off just saying the NBL has been run by a pack of morons, that is the only claim you could justifiably make out of anything you have said that wouldn't get swatted out with a mutumbo "no you don't" finger.

Reply #542139 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"Australia v fellow second tier teams (USA & Spain as top tier) since 2012:

Lost to Brazil by 4
Beat Russia by 2
Lost to Slovenia by 10
Beat Lithuania by 7
Lost to Turkey by 1
"

We were without Bogut for all of them and without Patty for half, too. Two of our most important players.

I am done with this convo for now. Anonymous is either too young to know better, too stupid to know better, doesn't follow international ball, doesn't follow anything other than NBA, or is just hating for the sake of hating.

Reply #542140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You need your own blog site where you can write this rambling replies and people might actually care

Reply #542175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thinking Delly and Bairstow will make this team better. Lol

Reply #542176 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Haha yeah, how stupid of me? Funny how a couple of NBA teams think the same thing ? ;)

Reply #542183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah so many teams thought Dellys good he got offered more than 6 offer sheets and ended up signing as a back up point guard for 4 million a year

OH WAIT

Reply #542185 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Only need one team to give you a contract and you're in the NBA. Huge shame for Delly that it's the current favourite to win the championship.

Reply #542188 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Should we be concerned that we haven't heard any news on the Patty Mills issue, or is this because we are just more likely to get this kind of update on a week day or something? I am sure that call must have got through by now - if indeed there was a call.

Reply #542236 | Report this post

Dellynquint  
Years ago

Coach said in the media he would be calling Mills. Don't see why that wouldn't be true.
What reasons would Mills have for saying no?

Reply #542238 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Not sure what to make of the silence.
If I was BA I'd probably prefer to wait until after the weekend to announce the good news, so that it's not lost amongst all the footy, cricket, etc. So hopefully that's all it is.

Reply #542240 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

Fibs has a time limit for how long before a vame you can name your team. If he isn't announced Timor, I expect they are going with 11

Reply #542241 | Report this post

Some_fulla  
Years ago

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238977/Boban-Marjanovic-Wanted-To-Play-In-Eurobasket-Spurs-Held-Decision-Power

Spurs are probably going to keep him out.. Wouldn't want the shoulder injury coming back!!

Reply #542242 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

They said he would be available for the series, so I don't think it is the spurs that will be the issue

Reply #542243 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

I don't think he willbee playing. Basketball Australia just did a Facebook update about some home coming event with the team and no Mention of patty, and they'd definitely know by now if he was playing with the training camp to begin tomorrow. I think the douche bag coach wants to stick with his 11

Reply #542259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Nzl get through

Reply #542263 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

I don't think he willbee playing. Basketball Australia just did a Facebook update about some home coming event with the team and no Mention of patty, and they'd definitely know by now if he was playing with the training camp to begin tomorrow. I think the douche bag coach wants to stick with his 11

Reply #542264 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Surprised we haven't heard Boti or literally anyone on the issue.

Reply #542286 | Report this post

Mills will be playing Saturday.

Reply #542358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills/Martin
Delly/Goulding/Gibson
Broekhoff/newley
Motum/Bairstow/Anderson
Bogut/jawai

Wish they switched jawai out for Ogilvy.

Reply #542361 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

You know something we don't, supernintendo?

Reply #542369 | Report this post

Dellynquint  
Years ago

That BA have confirmed it?

Reply #542373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Mills plays it will be infinitely more entertaining ... I really hope BA can arrange this

Reply #542417 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754