Isaac
Years ago

Sturt beat Eastern, 108-82

Only a couple of people in the Semi-Final Predictions thread tipped Sturt men to win, but they came good regardless. This one was for all the doubters.

Without Oscar, they thrashed the Mavericks, holding a lead of 20-30 points throughout the game, finishing winners by 26 points, 108-82.

All contributed, but the main difference was their interceptions which was a marked improvement on past apathy.

Shining light for Eastern was Brad Bungey who got on the boards, scored inside and hit some good mid-range jumpers -- impressive.

There may or may not be a boxscore for this game, unfortunately. Stats weren't kept for the first half, though I believe that someone will be trying to produce them from a gametape.

At the game: Liam Flynn, Matt Ryan, Stephon, EC, Bizzy, Dunkenstein, Moscow.

Sturt will face Woodville in the preliminary final at the Dome to see who faces Forestville in the eventual grand final.

Topic #3767 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

Where were you sitting tonight Isaac? Lately I seem to have a problem of not noticing people (DC will confirm that) although I do always see you at the game, I just didn't spot you tonight.

Reply #43947 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In the first half, I was about three metres to your left and one row up. For the second half, I was behind the Sturt bench talking to Bizzy.

Best atmosphere at Pasadena all season I think. Eastern fans can always be counted on to make noise, even when their team is down. Sturt fans were uncharacteristically loud which was great.

BTW, Dunkenstein was the first to identify (well, the first to actually go up and ask) Bizzy.

Reply #43948 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

I must admit that i wasn't sure who was going to win this one, but I am definately amazazed at the margin that Sturt won by. I thought that eastern would put up much more of a fight...especially in a final...anyone got any more info on the game?

Reply #43965 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Sturt jumped Eastern out of the blocks. The first quarter was quite up and down, with Sturt getting lots of cheap (fast breaks) points. Eastern worked hard for their points, but it was about even at the quarter. Bungey playing well, getting 3 blocks and 12 points (according to the stats person in the bar). Bauer and Trebilcock had words, and a bit of a push and shove, resulting in a double unsportsmanlike.

The second quarter Sturt turned up the defensive intensity, running lots of traps and doubles, really scrambling on D, and getting loads of stops. Meanwhile sturt managed more breaks. Finklmyer shot well in the first, and Paul Bauer played in spurts. No Eastern player managed to shine.

In the third sturt continued to hustle on D, getting stops as Eastern struggled to find a open looks. The game was effectivly over, as Sturt's lead flrited with the 30 point mark. Sturt coach out-coached Eastern when he subbed P.Bauer out and letting the sub (D.Ng) take Bauer's three free throws.

The fourth quarter was trash time, as all players from both teams got time. M.Fellows and N.Vaughan got into a tussle, resulting in a double unsportsmanlike foul. Perhaps we are seeing a new Brad Bungey. After getting a heavy foul from N.Vaugan, Vaughan proceeded to have words, but Bungey walked away. Is this the new, attitude-free, Bungey?

Sturt's suffocating defensive in the second quarter won the game for them, and they played exceptionally well as a team. If they can replicate that team form + Oscar, thei game against Woodville will be an absolute cracker.

Reply #43980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - have you heard whether we are going to get a complete stats sheet from the Eastern v Sturt men's game???

Reply #44096 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, haven't heard. You were in the thick of it after half-time -- what info do you have? Even a list of scorers would be good.

Reply #44097 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

What happened was... the usual sturt stats people were attending S.T.O.P. business at the Womens game.

In previous years, this round of finals (semi's??), BASA has organised stats people.

Sturt assumed this year it would be the same, no-one was there to do it (busy at the womens game).

They got there at half-time.

We did stats on the last two quarters, but missed the whole first half. The sturt stats guy said he'll probably have to re-create the stats from the tape.

Not sure if he has/is going to/isn't going to.

Don't know scorers, only got the second half stats. sorry.

Reply #44098 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

In The Advertiser today it has the Top Scorers from the Sturt v Eastern game.

Sturt:

Ng - 25 points - He had a great game came to life in the 3rd with some big shots.
Finkemeyer - 23 points - He had a solid game.

Eastern:

Bungey - 33 points - I didn't realise he scored that much, but he had a great game. Was the only one really on song for Eastern. Had a nice alley in the 3rd although he looked to be getting quite angry.
Madgen - 12 points - He seemed pretty quiet from what I could tell.

Was definately a good game with a couple of minor scuffles. With one of the little eastern guys trying to act tough even though he is the size of an overgrown midget.

Reply #44120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new Bungey attitude was noticable - he was best on court.

Davis was quiet.

Funky played a blinder, knocking down shots left right and centre.

Reply #44134 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Darren's fade-away would have to be the highlight for me!

However, as he is doing medicine, he used that to his advantage cos he knows how the body can move and work!

Reply #44137 | Report this post

white guy  
Years ago

overall a really good win by sturt

Reply #44188 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754