Anonymous
Years ago

Hawks confirm Cody Ellis signing

Cody will be announced as 10th signing so the Maric talk will be squashed and second import up their sleeve ala the Beveridge days in Perth.

Topic #37671 | Report this topic

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

it's good that he's back in the league, he played great with the Kings last season even if Cotter bearly used him. Also they should call them selves the illawarra Kings I mean seriously White, Ogilvy and Ellis!

Reply #541933 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

The Hawks are looking good. Get 2 guard import to rounds off their team pretty well.

Reply #541934 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

Bevo is too good, ntohing you can do about it

Reply #541935 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

sorry but whats so great about this signing?

Sure the kid has some potential but he hasn't exactly developed at a great rate so far since leaving St Louis and apart from an up and down outside shot isn't a threat offensively nor a reliable defender for any stretch.

He fills a void and probably fits the budget in terms of whats left after Lisch, Ogilvy and Penney get paid but he isn't going to be setting the league on fire this season.

Reply #541938 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

The Illawarra Hawks are the Perth Wildcats 2.0 with Bevo, Lisch and now an Ellis connection. Also, going with just the one import in Lisch, classic Wildcats days.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3265126/hawks-ready-to-complete-roster/

Reply #541939 | Report this post

FIG JAM  
Years ago

If this is correct it's a great get for the Hawks,
Gives us plenty of punch off the bench!!

Reply #541941 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

sorry FIG JAM but what is this punch of the bench you speak of?
Defensive? Offensive? He can throw one?

sorry but I haven't seen a performance by Ellis in the NBL yet that says he deserves more than a few spot minutes here and there for any team.

Reply #541943 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

which was the last team to win a championship with one import?

Reply #541944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fairly talented offensive player but unless Bevo gets him in top shape and he makes a commitment to defense he will struggle.

Reply #541948 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Lol every one who's hating on Ellis clearly hasn't watched enough Kings games.

Reply #541951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty safe bet Hawks won't finish last in points scored this season, solid squad indeed, I think other teams will be nervous knowing bevo still has an import option up his sleeve, as unfortunately history will show davo will go down at some stage, they also have points available.

Reply #541954 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree with Rex, the Kings regularly looked better with Ellis on they court last season as he plays team basketball. A smart signing by Beveridge IF he can get him fit enough to play at intensity for decent periods.

At least he will get the chance to prove himself this season after an interrupted start to his pro career.

Reply #541960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All this anti Hawks from Mystro. Running scared?

Reply #541964 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"All this anti Hawks from Mystro. Running scared?"

All this Hawks hype is very very similar to the big song and dance everyone made of all the talent United apparently had last season and how they were the firm favorites for the title along with Perth.
Then there was all the "Sixers" are the form team and favorites blah blah blah, cue clean sweep.

The only thing in the Hawks favour over the United fiasco is the fact Beveridge can Coach and Ogilvy, Lisch & Penney are proven players.

Who ever wins the title this year is going to have to go through NZ, ask Cairns and Adelaide how that went....

Reply #541972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So really, nothing like United then.

Reply #541973 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't remember Ellis being a rebounder, and I thought that might have been what they were after?

Reply #541976 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ellis was severely under-utilised last season. His 3pt wasn't dropping, but he was probably our best defender, and a surprisingly good shot blocker too. I think this is a quality signing for Wollongong, and as a Kings fan I hope it turns out well for him.

Reply #541978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro id say the title runs through the hawks this season.you certainly seem a little concerned... its underatable the hawks are the team to beat.

Reply #541987 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I think if Ellis is to improve his game anywhere it's going to be with Beveridge.

"Mystro id say the title runs through the hawks this season.you certainly seem a little concerned... its underatable the hawks are the team to beat."

says some anon poster who will be nowhere to be seen at the end of the season much like all the posters who talked up Melbourne last season before they had even played a game.

I have no doubt Beveridge is a good Coach and he'll get his shooters open and they'll put points on the board, I just don't think they'll be able to stop the other teams from scoring consistently. Time will tell and I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Reply #541994 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it runs through NZ. Core still there, MVP calibre import still there, etc.

Reply #541995 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Mystro, a United did have a very, very talented team last season. The question was always surrounding their coaching, ego management and lack of inside scoring. As it turns out, they were massive problems that derailed United's season.

Of course NZ, along with Perth will be the teams to beat - literally nobody is doubting that.

With an import spot remaining, the Hawks seem to have all bases covered personnel-wise: if Demos/Ellis are your 9/10th players, you can boast Penney, Lische and Ogilvy, a plethora of proven role players and a championship-winning coach, chances are you're gonna be hyped up - and with good reason!

Btw, New Zealand wasn't exactly a defensive juggernaut last season. At least the Hawks have Ogilvy.

Reply #542002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis is a decent stretch 4. He will be able to back up Foreman without changing the structure of the offense.

Reply #542003 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Do you think Ogilvy is a quality defender?

Reply #542004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have gone with a Lucas Walker type, or a player in the Vukona mould.

They needed a rebounder and a strong body. Ellis is a bit soft, more of a finesse stretch 4.

Nonetheless this is a team worth getting hyped about.

Reply #542007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(LV)

Reply #542008 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Beveridge will be looking to get Ellis playing like Wagstaff.

Reply #542011 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I agree PlatmakerMo. But every team has question marks before the season has kicked off and a game has been played.

United issues were ego's & coaching, the Hawks will be cohesion and defensive ability.

NZ's question marks are...

#1: the new Import Charles Jackson, can he contribute as much as Ekene Ibekwe did and gel with the established group?
#2: Shane McDonald, can the 30 year old guard contribute as much as the departed Rhys Carter?
#3: How long till Alex Pledger is fully fit and healthy?
#4: Have TeRangi & Bailey developed and improved?

Cairns is can they replace Wilbekin?

Reply #542014 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

which was the last team to win a championship with one import?
Perth started with one import in 2010, before bringing Young in to replace an injured Rogers.

Reply #542026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not forget bevo pulled cam toovey out of retirement to become a very useful role player on a championship team when at the time he looked to be useless.

Bevo is magic with young players.

Reply #542101 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Tovey did play some. Good ball before injuries struck, but he didnt get a title, just a runners up medal.

Reply #542105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this confirmed? Looking at the usual sites and nothing is even mentioned

Reply #542123 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The only thing in the Hawks favour over the United fiasco is the fact Beveridge can Coach and Ogilvy, Lisch & Penney are proven players.

That's a pretty good "only thing" though, you have to admit... Having a coach that can coach and high quality players that have proven themselves in the league before... Other than that though, what have they got? The core group of a team that is known to work pretty well together?

I understand your defence of NZ and having to go through them is justified, but your arguments against the Hawks aren't very valid...

Do you think Ogilvy is a quality defender?

Before he got the grumps about a LOT of unbalanced calls going against him in the second half of the season and Young came in, ruining whatever team chemistry there was, AJ was a really solid inside defender early on... The secret is for him not to get down and sooky, as that's when his game turns to fluff...

As for Ellis joining the Hawks, I think this is a good fit for him and that he'll have a bit more room to grow and prove himself... As others have said above, he was one of the Kings better defenders and was a pretty good shot blocker in very limited minutes... The pressure to nail outside shots will be off him and if he gets the minutes I have no doubt he'll do well with them...

Reply #542124 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree he's a very good shotblocker and defensive rebounder, but I reckon he struggles in some of the other areas. Hopefully Bevo will drill that into him.

Reply #542126 | Report this post

BigMD  
Years ago

Ellis has been great in the WA SBL this season. Great signing by the Hawks

Reply #542150 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Ditto BigMD ...has had a stellar season in a crappy team and carried the load pretty darn well.

Reply #542237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ He's played great offensively. He literally doesn't even try on the other end.

Reply #542289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice Team

Lisch - Martin
Penney - Demos - White
Cooenraad - (Penney, Demos, Forman)
Forman - Ellis
Ogilvy - Davidson

Reply #542326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you even try playing D for a team with two stiffs for imports, the worst bruton out of the three eldest sons (elliot was better back in the day, and he's since given up the game, why doesn't austin take the hint!) and a refs son who is as big a sook as you will see in the League. Good on bevo for signing cody though - I hope for CE's sake it all works out well

Reply #542327 | Report this post

captain obvious  
Years ago

sick team - i'm on the hawks bandwagon like a madman

Reply #542333 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

How long was Ellis signed for ?

Reply #542507 | Report this post

Bucket Getter  
Years ago

What about Kyle Adnam

Reply #542676 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Hawks don't look like they have much depth with their guards. I mean signing White or Demos alone is crazy! Let alone both of them! But other than that team is looking pretty good

Reply #542682 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:24 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754