Sixers Fan
Years ago

Boti: Jawai linked to Wildcats

From Boti's blog:

"Meanwhile it remains unconfirmed at this stage but the hottest rumour of the day has Perth Wildcats reaching out to Nate Jawai, an NBL Rookie of the Year with Cairns Taipans and All Star Game MVP - that was before he played NBA, in Europe and for the Boomers.

Apparently the Wildcats still have a lazy $1.5million left in their salary cap funds and are keen to add Big Nate now that they've noticed every team has been improved.

Oh. And in case you missed it, United has announced Steve Holt and Ekene Ibekwe as its two imports for NBL season 2015-16."

Why don't Adelaide do the same thing!? They see the league is improving but they do nothing about it. As much as I love Petrie he isn't up to starter quality any more and I think the import needs to be a PF/SF who is marquee quality. And go after another quality Aussie like Ben Madgen or Mitch McCarron. I know that points might be an issue and people will say money is too but we have new owners for a reason, why go from someone struggling to provide $$ to a bunch of tight asses.

Topic #37685 | Report this topic

Matthew  
Years ago

Sixers Fan: I dont know much about Jawai: what are his key attributes?

Reply #542378 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Interesting rumor.
Only way i could see him fit in is if Matt Knight moved to PF spot.

What's Jawai's point rating ? I would of thought he was rated 9. Cats only have 8 points to spend.

Reply #542385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not April 1st is it.
Just another silly Boti Nagy rumour

Reply #542387 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see how he competes back home after all his health/physical issues. Can't see him being the force he once was though

Reply #542390 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

I thought the salary cap was only 1million. So how do the cats still have 1.5 Million left in the cap even with the team!

Reply #542393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'd be better off getting Ryan Broekhoff

Reply #542394 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Jawai was one of my favourite players in his rookie year - he was simply dominant for Cairns. But his Boomers play has me wondering why any team would want him really.

He might be okay as a bench centre, but he would need to lose about 10 kilos to keep up with the NBL pace.

Reply #542396 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Boti wouldn't say it if there wasn't any truth to it. Jawai would be a solid fit I guess.
Jawai / Jervis
Knight / Wagstaff
Prather* / Redhage
Beal* / Hire
Martin / Greenwood

Reply #542397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sure he is a 9 point player

Reply #542399 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Reads like a pisstake to me. I could be wrong of course, but there's been a bit of clever story generation this off-season, which is good to get people talking.

Reply #542400 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lol. Knight and Jervis are already there, yes?

1.5mil?

Sounds like someone's telling porkies

Reply #542401 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

GWB, Jawai would be a top 5 centre in the league. On the Boomers for a reason, even though he's on the chubby side he still is a solid athlete vertical wise but you are right about keeping pace but their are slower players out there.

Reply #542402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An obvious pisstake i agree Paul.

Reply #542404 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Jawai will bring something unique to any team he is on. It is hard to guard that kind of size, but top 5 in the league? I don't know about that. I think he will just be a serviceable back up centre who is probably a touch slow for this league.

Reply #542405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti with the career low in PER and Win Shares this offseason. His field goal percentage of 15% has him holding on to his spot by a thread.

Luckily his loyalty points rating, and reputation as a good guy to have around the locker room will see him remain in the rotation this season.

Reply #542406 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Backup centre? Are you serious? He is on the Australian national team. Would start on most NBL teams.

Reply #542408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smart play by Boti. Pass it off as a joke so that it doesn't further hurt strike record if it's wrong, but he can still say "you heard it here first" if it's right.
Jawai to the Cats doesn't make a lot of sense to me but hey if it gets him back to the NBL that's cool I guess. I never really rated him but I assume he has improved in all those years away? It didn't really seem like it from those Boomers games I saw last week.

Reply #542409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather have Nevill

Reply #542412 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks Jawai is a starter hasn't watched him play in the World cup and the warm up games thus far. He might be on the Boomers, but you could easily name guys just on the Wildcats who would perform better - even an undersized Matt Knight and even Tom Jervis (just my opinion).

The thing Jawai has is unique size. He used to use it very well and had nice touch, but he has been nothing but a walking turn over in every Boomers game I have seen in the past 2 years.

Reply #542413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai's famous for some habits that will not fit in at Perth and their culture

Reply #542414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's fat, could've been a star, but couldn't put down the fork. This is the type of stupid signing the 36ers would make throw a bunch of $$ at a out of shape guy....

Reply #542415 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anonymous, you have sparked my interest - what habits are these?

Reply #542416 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

They can pay him in Cheeseburgers......

Reply #542421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti Nagy lol

Reply #542423 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Unfortunately Nate might be closer to a poor mans Ontario Lett these days than to the young star who did so well as a rookie all those years ago.

As other have said looks like a piss take from Boti to point out the 6ers lack of big name recruiting.

Reply #542433 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Nate would only play for Fearney!!

Reply #542436 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I would much rather Mitch McCaron he fits the current roster a lot more.

Reply #542438 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well mitch is playing SEABL right now, with presumably no other contract happening. Its baffling that he is unsigned to anywhere.

Reply #542439 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

As for Adelaide not having a big signing, this off season has really been a head scratcher. Adelaide picked up Lucas Walker, who would give us the same things Mitch Creek does but is a number of years older. Then they picked up Sobey and that big guy whose name escapes me, neither were being chased by anybody, and are bench fillers at best, and then we get the Mongolian league MVP. I see all these big signings everywhere else, but it seems like Joey almost wants to be undermanned. The team could probably run and gun and get up and down the floor, but I want to see a big, good import to tie this in and make sense of the other signings Joey has made.

Reply #542442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats need to hurry up and sign Mitch McCarron

Reply #542443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was seriously meant to be Ebi, but its been way too long now since the news was heard, it wouldve been announced by now. Im hoping this means it fell threw as an option and the 36ers will bite the bullet and get someone legit. Not Nate though....

Reply #542446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Scott Christopherson still available? Or Montreal

Reply #542447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh id love some DQ! Haha sure Ira Clarke is available somewhere in a retirement village...

Reply #542448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I forgot about Ira Clark. Adris Deleon, Showron Glover, Joe Shipp, Ayinde Ubaka there are choices sixers fans.
or go aussie with Daniel Joyce

Reply #542450 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I respect Joey for taking us from last to second in a single season, but someone else needs to recruit imports for him - sometimes he scrapes too deep in the barrel looking for bargains.

Reply #542453 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

fstos, why would it be a dig at the 36ers? Boti shows sympathy towards Adelaide and generally gives players/rosters benefit of the doubt before they've played.

I'd guess he's just commenting that the Wildcats had built their roster using the cap, assumed they'd be in the mix again, then saw that a few other teams have stepped up the pace a little. $1.5m is probably a dig at what they spent last year or what they profited - who knows. Imagine it's far too high as a figure for a past Jawai contract.

If they haven't used the marquee rule, I assume they can't use it unless they have $150k spare under the cap? Is that how it's supposed to work?

Reply #542455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Boti wouldn't say it if it didn't have some truth to it"

Now THATS funny.

Reply #542472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai would probably only be a role player given fitness and foul trouble but a unique and worthy one. Hope this is true!

Reply #542476 | Report this post

the Cats would be better off promoting Matty Neilsen to the playing roster rather than signing Jawai.

Reply #542480 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Agreed

Reply #542481 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He was fun to watch last time he played here but hopefully he's with Perth rather than either of my teams. I'm always surprised that he gets a Boomers gig as he seems to lack a bit of drive.

If he came good though, that'd be great. I remember that ASG where he was MVP - he can be very entertaining.

Reply #542488 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think those days are long gone with Jawai. Stash him nice and deep on the bench and bring him in to set big ugly screens and foul opposition big men.

He had such great potential; having been drafted, the rookie of the year in the NBL (by a country mile) and the MVP of the allstar game, but he seems to just coast through life pie by pie without putting any effort into his shape and fitness - a prerequisite for professional athlete.

I feel that at merely 28, his best days are already behind him. He has gone from NBL star, to Euroleague player, to borderline useless before most big men even reach their peaks.

Reply #542491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget he played two years in the NBA too, even lead the T-Wolves in scoring one game during his season with them too.

Reply #542501 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I can't believe the hate on here for Big Nate. It just shows how some posters are swayed so easily from recent games.

Reply #542510 | Report this post

Um well yeah, if his recent games aren't good then people are going to question any signing, especially as he doesn't seem to have resolved his fitness issues.

Are you saying we should look at his games from 5 years ago to rate whether its a good signing?

And one more thing - STOP CALLING ANY CRITICISM OF SOMEONE "HATE"!

Reply #542521 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

It's certainly not hate. And I'm not judging on just these four games, there is also the entire world cup campaign including the lead up to that, too.

Reply #542522 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tom, why wouldn't you be influenced by recent performances? You aren't hiring 200x Jawai, you're getting 2015 Jawai.

Someone like Nevill struggles to stay in the league for a reason. Guys like Schenscher endure, and guys like Garlepp or Jervis have a future. Effort and court smarts so often trump physical ability.

Reply #542523 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth may be a great option to get Jawai back into shape and form. The club has great resources and a hard working culture and that may be the sales pitch they are throwing at him.

Reply #542537 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The last time I was impressed by Jawai he was wearing Cairns colors. Since then, whether it be NBA, Europe, or with the Boomers, I have been underwhelmed... particularly on defense. With the way fouls get called in the NBL, I think it would be tough for him to stay on the court too... but hey, he has size on everyone in this league, so who knows.

Reply #542540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would he be able to appeal his points rsting?
He would start season slowly but is handy insurance if Knight is injured and allows Knight more time at power forward

Reply #542542 | Report this post

He can appeal based on the strength of the Euro league he is playing in. I'm going to guess that a top tier league in Spain isn't really something he can try and get appealed though.

He could try and appeal based on other comparable players eg Khazzouh.

Reply #542545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought he played well at Worlds. His passing was great, he moved well and finished inside.

If Sofoklis Schortsanitis can still be a game changer in the euroleague at times (limited burts of minutes) then Jawai would beast people in the NBL, although its unlikely we will see him for a few more years until he hits Harry Kewel semi retirement mode.

Reply #542550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way Wildcats cut anyone to make room. With McCarron off to Spain they should go after Ben Madgen

Reply #542554 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

"has Perth Wildcats reaching out to Nate Jawai" is the same chance as when I "reached out" to Jessica Alba!

Reply #542560 | Report this post

At least he is in the country and not in the form of a crusty sock you keep under your pillow.

Reply #542572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't surprise me if Perth settled for Erik Burdon yawn!

Reply #542577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Dillon would be good pick up

Reply #542605 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Perth would set him on a path where he's bound to lose weight

Reply #542809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they wrote into his contract that he could only eat at Perth Arena then even or marquee money he couldn't afford to gain weight

Reply #542810 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Daniel Dillon has signed in Poland.

Reply #542848 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'd love to see Nathan in the NBL. Not sure we need ANOTHER big guy on the bench though???
Still waiting to see what kind of role Prather fills.
Maybe he's going o be more of a 2/3 6th man? In which case they probably could go for a massive front court???

Reply #543043 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

If he hasn't signed with any club it would be worth them signing Jawai on an off court role/training partner and have him in the bank as insurance if Knight goes down with an injury.

Otherwise the only way I can see Jawai fitting in is as Dazz mentioned.

Reply #543068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:49 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754