Anonymous
Years ago

Mitch McCarron signs in Spain

Mitch McCarron signed his first deal with Spanish club Palencia. They play LEB Gold in Spain. Interesting choice for a young Aussie out of college as I though the comforts of home in the NBL for a season or two whilst you workout what pro life is may have been a better choice. Money talks, but so does career longevity and as an import, you r time can be cut very short.

I hope he does well as he is an awesome talent, and if successful, may not see him in the NBL for some time to come.

Topic #37691 | Report this topic

Wookiee  
Years ago

bugger... I was really hoping that he could be enticed back home for a season or two, but I guess without a Brisbane team to really be the drawcard, the lure of the Euro experience was too strong... I don't think he's the sort of guy to be too afraid of jumping in the deep end, he looks pretty tenacious on the court, this would just be the next big challenge...

A shame we won't get to see him play but I hope he does well...

Reply #542536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better deals on offer than as a Rookie in the NBL.

Reply #542551 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

The points systems strikes again!!!!

Reply #542586 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Would only be a 3 point player. That aint the problem Flinders (if there is one)

Reply #542591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Euro League is still a great option for pro ballers. Greece's financial woes and the war in the Eastern block asside, there is still plenty of money to be made. Plenty of post college D1 and D2 players go over and have ago, good for them and best of luck to him.

Reply #542593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never heard of him

Reply #542596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Google is your friend my ignorant anon poster, try using it and you will discover a whole big bright world at your finger tips.

Reply #542599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The points system strikes again.
NBL rookie or EU player. Not difficult is it?

Reply #542618 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interesting choice to sign in Div2 in Spain, could be a launching pad to the ACB (like Ingles and Devries) or we could see him back in the NBL after a year or two (like Loughton or Duinker).

Anyway, good luck to him, it's not easy but the rewards on and off court can be great. I wonder if he had any decent NBL offers?

Reply #542738 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

I doubt he has problems playing in the NBL if he wants to in the future. Why wouldn't you have a crack at doing things overseas?

Reply #542761 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah for sure, if you can get somewhere decent in a good league, go for it... Spain would be amazing and much easier to work your way up to a better division from there than over here perhaps... Hard choice, play in Spain or get to travel to exciting places like Townsville and Adelaide as an NBL rookiee ;)

As for "points system strikes again" posts... wtf? Yeah, I'm sure he would really struggle fitting in with his 3pts value...

Reply #542762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I looked at some stats (can't remember the twitter account). Very few players these days go straight from NCAA Div 1 or 2 directly into any top tier European league (or team playing euroleague or euro cup).

There were more from the D League and then a lot of transfers from other european leagues. Eg stepping up from the Greek or Italian league into the Spanish ACB or VTB league.

Reply #542769 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:22 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754