Anonymous
Years ago

Cats should consider nevill

If they're interested in jawai and can't get him what about nevill could fill a similar role as off the bench centre. Cats missing a taller shot blocking type. Has history with the Perth program. Mobility defensively isn't great but neither is jawai. Might actually pair up with knight better given he has a Better mid range shot than jawai. Can never have too much big man insurance when you have matt knight. Also would expect nevill can fit under the points and salary cap easily given his current market value isn't great.

Topic #37751 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

No, I don't think they should.

Reply #544588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sure they have already weighed up the pros and the many cons...

Reply #544589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@isaac: why not

Reply #544591 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

No thank you

Reply #544596 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Tom Jervis already adds more than this guy so there is no reason to waste a roster spot.

Reply #544599 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he's a headless chicken and I think that sort of player is really damaging at this level of basketball. The team that had him last season passed (including ignoring the remaining year on his contract). Every other team has seemingly passed. Perth have seen him before and I'd be surprised if they wanted another go.

Reply #544604 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

No thanks. I'd much rather see Jervis get extra court time then sign Neville.

Reply #544624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should sign Mathiang Muo

Reply #544627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nevill? Pfft I'd rather my grandma on the team than him!

Reply #544642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many points is she?

Reply #544645 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

She fits under the shower cap, if that helps.

Reply #544646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking on behalf of the 7 other teams, I really think Neville would be great at Perth

Reply #544660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Already have Jervis. I think the cats need a swingman.
Thanks for the thread though Luke

Reply #544667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would like to know what GWB has to say on the matter

Reply #544668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If nevill gets signed, i hope they consider my grandma for a roster spot also.

Reply #544671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only one spot left for a slow passive player with zero hops and poor long term prospects so it's either Nevill or your grandma but not both sorry

Reply #544681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised at the negative response here.

When putting a team together You can't look at things in a vacuum but you must look contextually.

The context here is a 10th man roster spot, so you're not looking for a star but someone who can fill a specific role. The game is evolving away from lumbering big men but that is not to say they have no value, i would just say their value is now more situational. Take bogut and the warriors for example, he barely played in the latter half of the finals but that franchise would tell you he is still valuable to them just needs to be deployed in the right situations.

People have said with knight and Jervis you don't need another big but nevill is a fair bit bigger than those two so offers a slightly different dimension.

More context, experienced cats fans will tell you knight missing games is 'inevitable'. Jervis can't play 40 and the team nearly came off the rails during the chunk knight missed last season.

If he stays healthy then great you don't need to use nevill as much.

Further context and the realisation moment is, what is the alternative? Jawai has been spoken about but sits outside our points availability. The other that had been mentioned is burdon who would be pretty much useless.

Definitely rather nevill over burdon. Anyone got any better suggestions?

I'm still waiting for the nevill detractors to actually articulate why he wouldn't be a Good signing in this situation. Not saying there aren't any cons but i haven't heard any legit ones. At least make something up about him being bad for team chemistry rather than tell me your grandmother is better

His market value appears to have hit rock bottom so he can only offer value from a salary cap perspective too.

Reply #544682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't you look at things in a vacuum?

It's a very valuable thing to do. My missus found a misplaced earring that way, and with today's models often featuring transparent dust receptacles it is easier than ever.

Reply #544709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

P.S. Knight, Nevill and Jervis in the one team is a waste of salary and points at one position. Doesn't make sense for the Cats.

Reply #544710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Greenwood departing, I guess the Cats now have enough points to sign Jawai.

Reply #544726 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Nevill has a good bench player for us, and had a small cult following in Perth. Unfortunately he got dudded by the points system.

I'm not sure old Nevil is , but potentially when Knight retires, he could resume his place on the bench.

If he could appeal his points down, he MIGHT be a good option for a team that lacks a genuine 7' and needs a BACKUP centre.
Cats already have Jervis, and need to fill their other two spots with guards, or maybe a guard and a swingman. Need another centre like a hole in the head.

Reply #544727 | Report this post

J-dogg  
Years ago

Nevill = 29

Reply #544786 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'682, I think "headless chicken" says enough, right? Not a good trait in a game where team structure and movement is critical.

I'd be delighted to see him go to an opposing team. But the suggestion was that they should and/or asking why they wouldn't.

Reply #544788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or not!

Reply #544808 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754