Anonymous
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood quits Wildcats to pursue AFL career

Heard on the rumour mill last night that a recent Perth signing will be switching codes. Possibly linked to your hometown crows?
Not a happy camper with BA and being left off the team that recently played a two game series.
Heard it from a good source, but find it difficult to believe due to as stated only recently signing in the NBL.

(Mod: Timestamp adjusted on topic to peg it to the top of the forum tonight, but original topic was between 8-9am. Credit to anonymous for the rumour!)

Topic #37752 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Assuming this is Greenwood and there's any truth to this story at all, if he's upset about having Mills, Delly, and Gibson picked over him.... well, good luck in the AFL.

Reply #544590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unhappy not named as Martins replacement. Was apparently informed it would be him. Gliddon named instead.

Reply #544592 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

If the contracts signed how is this possible without the wildcats allowing it, which would surely be unlikely...

Reply #544593 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

have you ever forced a person to perform a duty when they don't want to do it?

Reply #544594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee that sooky attitude would really see him as a success in AFL...

Reply #544597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgrace Gibbo was picked but greenwood needs to prove himself as a pro before he gets Hugh and mighty!

Reply #544602 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gibbo has been comfortably competent with each Boomers stint IMO.

Reply #544603 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Greenwood has been chased for a long time by the AFL and was a VG junior player. He is no where near ready for the Boomers so it might be a good decision.

Reply #544605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo performs better for Boomers than he does in the NBL tbh

Reply #544606 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

That's because he only tries when he feels like it!

Reply #544609 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I somehow dont think Greenwood would run to the AFL just because he didnt make the Boomers once. Sounds like a crock to me.

Reply #544612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is an anon post with no facts at all, why are we even discussing this rumour?

Reply #544615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hugh is too pretty for AFL, he would get messed up big time.....

Reply #544616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pointless thread a rumour that can't be substantiated

Reply #544621 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Can't see it happening.

Reply #544622 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

This rumor doesn't make sense at all. If he believes to be good enough to warrant an auto selection in the boomers then surely he would realize he would make more money playing basketball in Europe or making the NBA.

Reply #544623 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hugh doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would do something like this. I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

He didn't warrant selection in the Boomers team IMO. He isn't a true PG and you only have to look at his college stats to see he wasn't/isn't as good as what people think he is.

Very good at the junior level because he was very good at everything and a fantastic leader.

At the next level I don't see where he will be more than solid at any one thing. Needs to get a part of his game downpat

Reply #544625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on, MACDUB.

Reply #544626 | Report this post

Schen  
Years ago

Don't know why Gliddon is picked.

Reply #544629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With new tv rights, average afl player will earn 400k. That is a better option than playing nbl for 150k max.

Reply #544630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon,

I'n a few years Hugh might be able to go play in Europe for more than what he is making here.

And could end up like an Ingles making $2.2M in the NBA.

He could also fail at football and not make it past his $50k rookie contract.

Reply #544631 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

I believe this is just a made up rumour..

As for someone commenting on afl players earning 400k that is not right in this situation. A good player might earn that.

A rookie would only be offered anywhere from 40-80k I believe . Teams can pay higher then that for a rookie but that is around the mark that gets paid.

A guy like greenwood would only have a shot at a 400k comtract in 2/3 or 4 years if they worked out and established themselves.

Greenwood could just as easily be earning above afl rookie contracts in the nbl , and in line for anywhere from 400k to 1mil+ overseas in 2-3 years.

Reply #544633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any relation to Levi Greenwood?

Reply #544634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Hugh went to college he said I could play AFL but you can't play AFL around the world. I want to play a word game and with a 3 year Wildcats contract, this is just a pointless guess.

Reply #544635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Phil pick up the paper and read about the TV deal.I expect a lot of ballers will be thinking about football.

Reply #544639 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am confused why Lemanis picked Gliddon over Greenwood when you consider Greenwood would know the plays and he didn't even play Gliddon. I think that maybe Lemanis wasn't so very taken by Greenwood as a player?

Reply #544643 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

GWB maybe he read your post that you would pick Gliddon over Exum :P

Reply #544685 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I stand by that comment. Potential is great if you actually use your attributes.

Reply #544698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many other Basketball players are on the AFL to watch list

Reply #544701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you get picked up for AFL if you've
Been focused on Basketball

Reply #544703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Q - How many other Basketball players are on the AFL to watch list

A - basically every NCAA player that goes underdrafted and is willing to attend a skills and athletic testing camp (especially if 6"6 and above).

Reply #544706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What age are the AFL looking at 22+ or before these kids go to college

Reply #544707 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Unfortunately TRUE
Just confirmed by the Cats

Reply #544715 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood leaves Wildcats

Guard Hugh Greenwood has requested to be released from his contract with the Perth Wildcats to pursue an Australian Rules football career.

Greenwood informed the club this evening.

Wildcats managing director Nick Marvin said he was very disappointed to receive the news.

"Unfortunately Hugh Greenwood's decision not to honour his contract poses a significant challenge for us. Whilst he leaves with our best wishes, it does require us to revise our recruiting strategy immediately," he said.

“We made numerous decisions based on his commitment to us, so we are disappointed to lose him.

“However, the Wildcats family has always dealt well with adversity and this occasion will be no different.”

Hugh Greenwood was in the first month of a three-year contract with the Wildcats.

Subject to board approval, the Wildcats will allow him to breach his contract.

The club will hold a press conference tomorrow morning at the Bendat Basketball Centre.

Reply #544716 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wildcats just sent out an email confirming Greenwood had requested his release in order to pursue AFL, and it will be granted pending board approval.

Reply #544717 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Just received that email from the wildcats , looks like the OP anon was spot on.

Reply #544718 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It was reported a while back, prior to his signing, that he was being looked at by a couple of AFL clubs.

The advantage is that they can add him as a B list Rookie, so basically a bonus.

It stings because the Cats seem to have done SFA about recruiting another guard, and don't have a lot of points to play with to secure two more players.

At this rate, Prather or Beal will have to play off the bench.

Reply #544720 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If we assume that he's not good enough to get a gig in Europe, then AFL is potentially much more lucrative.

Reply #544721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its official just got an email from the cats

Reply #544722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgraceful behaviour by Greenwood

Reply #544723 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

After all the work he has put into basketball it is hard to see him just give it up like that.

Reply #544724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Astounding. Had to check if it was April 1

Reply #544725 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

This is really disappointing. There are not a lot of options left for the cats to sign a decent replacement.

Reply #544728 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How can you get picked up for AFL if you've
Been focused on Basketball
A few NBL players would've played football at school or have basic skills to build on. They'd have a start on strength, fitness, etc. If they are athletic, tall, and not scrawny, they've got a practical start.

AFL squads are big enough and have enough money that they can hire speculatively.

Sounds like Greenwood has some Aussie Rules history anyway?

Reply #544729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, the worst thing about this is the timing. Very strange timing at that. I find it interesting that he has a change of heart after arriving at his club, having introductory press conferences, starting training? Surely he would've been considering this after he completed his college career? Why not make the call then instead of screwing over a team like that?

Very flaky. Mug.

Reply #544730 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I spoke with a friend recently who has played with Greenwood & played for a while in the NBL. I said I was surprised Greenwood didn't get drafted, or even a gig in Europe. The friend's opinion was that he will be a good guard in the NBL.

Based on that assessment, I think Dazz is right - he's got more potential to make money in the AFL, since Europe is likely off the cards.

Reply #544731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Article from last year below. Looks like this was strongly in his plans - that being the case, why didn't the Wildcats thoroughly scope out whether he was committed to hoops and once he had signed include a no-out clause for AFL in his contract?

Unprofessional on Hugh's part for mine.

TASMANIAN basketball star Hugh Greenwood admits the lure of crossing codes and playing AFL is in the back of his mind if his NBA dream fails to materialise.

The University of New Mexico point guard, who heads to Perth today to join the Boomers for the first time since 2012, played football as a youngster before being snapped up on an AIS basketball scholarship aged just 15.

He will enter his fourth and final year as a Lobo when he returns to America midyear and while he is determined to make it in the professional basketball ranks, the appeal of kicking the Sherrin on the MCG still remains.

Football runs through Greenwood's blood - his grandad Peter Marquis played 99 games with Melbourne, featured in three consecutive premierships from 1955-57 and also represented Victoria.

A number of former basketballers have already made the switch in recent years, including Tasmanian Jack Osborn, who is in his second year as a rookie in Adelaide under the "Alternate Talent Rule".

Greenwood admitted a number of AFL clubs have contacted him, but would not go into specifics.

“It is in the back of my mind but right now I’m focusing on my basketball and getting my [psychology] degree,” the 22-year-old told the Mercury yesterday.

“Depending on how it goes, if I give the NBA a crack and it doesn’t work out and Europe is not as enticing as I first thought then I would certainly come back and give footy a crack for sure.

“My grandfather played 99 games, I would love to get that last one.

“I can’t say specifically which clubs have reached out to me ... I think that is just from my footy background and with the rule being if I haven’t registered in footy for three years I’m technically a free agent.

“That is the enticing part.

“When I come back to Australia it is a bit easier for clubs to approach me which is very humbling, but at this stage I’m focusing on my basketball.”

Reply #544732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Gone down in my estimation that's for sure.
His father was a good footy player and all the hype that he has sprouted about basketball is now all crap.

Reply #544733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he secretly hated Perth all along and wanted to screw them over haha

But seriously this is very unusual to happen at this time. Wonder if something pissed him off about the Cats or a AFL team has thrown a shit load at him based on potential alone and he simply couldn't resist. Would be hilarious if it was the Dockers or the Eagles!

Reply #544734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not try and be a dual-sport star, a la Bo Jackson?

Reply #544735 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Disgraceful behaviour by Greenwood

Assuming that he's not signing with the Eagles, then yes I am shocked, disgusted, and outraged by this!!!...

But seriously, it could be worse.
The actual signing window for an AFL club is October~November, so better to know now.

It stings, because he was really impressing in pre-season training, and as a 3 point player he was looking like a bargain.
The problem is that the Cats put everything else on hold pending the USA trip, and now have a squad with only two guards, one of whom is injured. Lack of depth has been their achille's, and we've done it again.

If they re-sign Muo just because he's still hanging around the Gym, I will lose it.

Reply #544736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hoops.com.au with the scoop!!

Reply #544737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not going to happen this day and age. AFL is extremely gruelling he would break down within 3 years, not to mention no AFL club would touch him, can't pay a guy big bucks only to get injured fatigued in the 'off season' via playing NBL.... plus the schedules cross over. Plus its just a stupid idea...

Reply #544738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time for an SOS call to Drake U'u?

Reply #544739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats mojo really does appear to have run out. I was a non-believer of all those calling that the play-off streak would end this year, but this appears to be a nail in the coffin.

Reply #544740 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

OP delivered. Congrats.

Reply #544741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, plus your main guard can't make a shot to save himself. Greenwood played his cards right, took the NBL offer had some financial security, and obviously now an AFL team has come along and guarnteed similar $$$ most probably over 1 season, and its too good to refuse. Good luck to him, bitter taste as an outsider, but when it comes to money you have to look out for number one.... god knows the pro sports teams do!!!

Reply #544742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who knows, maybe during training camp Hugh released playing against pros he was a hack and decided he would have more success in the AFL.

I guess I'll comfort myself in this way, but who else is available to fill the void?

Reply #544743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Robbins?

Reply #544744 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

His father played waterpolo (AIS) not AFL. His grandfather was a gun with Melbourne

Reply #544745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly and mills were eventually going to be replaced by exum and McDowell white long term anyway...

He made the right choice if it was about money.

Reply #544747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much talk about money, what happened to good ol' fashioned passion for the game?

Reply #544749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what will they do now
they need 2 x SG

Reply #544750 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Extremely unprofessional from Greenwood. I see he trained this morning. Feel for the Wildcats for once!

If he had of at least done it earlier the club could've signed someone - Rhys Carter was signed by Sydney yesterday!

I also wonder why he did it too.

Be interesting to see what Perth do.

Can't AFL develop their own players!?

Reply #544751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Passion for the game doesn't pay the mortgage. And considering some of the things the Cats people have gotten up to throughout the years, tough luck... one less guy to get all those home calls!

Reply #544752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad robbins would actually be a good signing as hes cheap, knows the system, and a solid backup.

Reply #544753 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Who's left out there to sign ?
Wonder if Jawai has ever played PG or SG lol

Reply #544754 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

As an avid Oz Basketball fan it hurts to say this, but I reckon if a young guy in Greenwood's position (ie. NBA&Europe doors closed) has half a chance to play a game of footy on the MCG, it's worth the risk to change sports. He could always fall back on Basketball if it doesn't work out.

Reply #544755 | Report this post

Boris  
Years ago

It's the most dedicated fans in the NBL vs one of Tasmanias favorite sons interesting to see how this plays out

Reply #544756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How's Dean Brogan travelling?

Reply #544757 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Absolutely shocked.

To think that he made the All Star 5 at the FIBA U19 World Champs..guys like Valucuinas and Lamb in the NBA and he is giving up on the game.

Seems like he is throwing his toys out of the cot a bit..didn't make NBA, didn't get a Boomers invite so he thought bugger it I'm not going to dig deep and work hard to get to higher ceilings.

Is there a priviledge element coming through here - always got the best treatment and held in high regard - Emus, AIS, Tasmania - and hence he can't deal with not being "the man". Id say its awfully hard for a guy who was the man at Jnr levels to adjust to playing 3rd, 4th fiddle etc.

Awfully funny that he would say that the AFL basically sucks because it has no international concept yet he jumped at it straighy away.

Reply #544758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter Crawford could offer immediate offensive impact. In better condition than this time last season, and the defense has to honour his shooting atleast. Id take him over Robbins anyways.

Reply #544759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^

Not a bad suggestion. What is his points rating?

Reply #544760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL have an eye on most NBL playing lists

Reply #544761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is it with the youth of today? Clownish behaviour from Kyrgios, Tomic, Kokkinakis and now Greenwood.

Reply #544762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwood is just looking to get financial security, not fair to throw him in same ring as the Tennis youth of today coming out of Aus. This is a pure business decision, and as much as it annoys the die hard ball fans, it'll keep happening until the NBL takes off financially and can compete. Goo luck to him for having the options.

Reply #544763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball players offer the best combination of height, athleticism, agility and co-ordination. This is why basketball is the most beautiful game to watch.

Really for a basketball player to be successful in the AFL all you need to add is the running power.

It's a shame however, that in terms of popularity and financial power, the more attractive game with the superior athletes is the poor cousin.

Reply #544764 | Report this post

M  
Years ago

MACDUB is was the 3rd fiddle at the Lobos for four years .....

Reply #544765 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Bit surprised it's taken him this long, tbh. There's been heavy rumour and speculation since 2013 about Hugh joining the AFL.

There's a bunch of talented basketballers we've lost to AFL over the years, Tom Cutler, Heath Shaw, Scott Pendlebury, Todd Goldstein, Tom Boyd, Dean Brogan, Jarryd Roughead and Terry Wallace although all made the jump earlier that Hugh.

Even Rhys Carter who was mentioned earlier in this thread, has played AFL reserves, I think for Werribee.

That being said, none of them have made the decision at 23 years of age and I don't think this will help him at all.

Reply #544767 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah and by all accounts he struggled.

Few of these popping up

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college/nevada/2015/02/24/mw-notebook-unms-greenwood-frustrated-teammates/23953693/&ved=0CC0QFjAFahUKEwjfi66L3rfHAhWi3KYKHYlqAYg&usg=AFQjCNFGs81iHD1agExt7j-_XXfBJ1ensA

"UNMS GREENWOOD FRUSTRATED WITH TEAMMATES"

Reply #544768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems a bit silly to play basketball for free for 4 years before making this decision.

Reply #544770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting link MacDub. Seems like Greenwood is very precious.

Reply #544771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really, just called out some lazy team mates and proved he hates losing... nice try.

Reply #544772 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

I hope he crashes and burns. I think he is having a so ok because he didn't make the boomers team, and rather than just go through the necessary channels and development he chucks it in for the first thing that comes up - ridiculous. He might not even make more in the afl. Yes thrown it all in for a pipe dream and has wasted the wild cats time while doing it.

Reply #544773 | Report this post

Lo 40  
Years ago

Yep call to Drake U'u

Reply #544774 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The players who usually succeed switching to Aussie rules from another sport (apart from Gaelic footy) are big guys who are in demand. It's much tougher for small-medium sized players, competing against so many good players who have been busting their balls getting better at the sport.

Pretty pisspoor to make a three-year commitment and then back out of it. Does't say much about his character.

Reply #544775 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Wonder if the Jason Holmes thing inspired him.

Absolute killer for the Cats. Had a nice backcourt trio locked in, not world-beating, but a good versatile mix. Now suddenly we're in deep shit.

Reply #544776 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Paul how about Pendlebury and Danyle Pearce?

Reply #544777 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"Pretty pisspoor to make a three-year commitment and then back out of it. Does't say much about his character."

It is.
I hope Chris Masten bites him for this.

Reply #544779 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

the difference with Pendlebury and Pearce is the went to footy reasonably young while Greenwood has not played footy for a number of years. There have been a number of players that have not made it from basketball as well.

Reply #544780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats will struggle to find suitable replacement. Now have 11points remaining for two guards.

Reply #544781 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

why didn't the Wildcats...include a no-out clause for AFL in his contract?
That's what a contract is.

Reply #544782 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

Might be a bit harsh on Perth but the fact that something like this can derail their plans says a lot about the efforts they made in building this years roster.

If a 3 point rookie is the player who you are basing recruiting decisions around maybe some of the blame should be apportioned to Wildcats management who have gone with an import who does not come with a pedigree that we have been come accustomed as well as persisting with an ageing injury prone core.

Time will tell and I hope I'm wrong but this could be the season that the Cats learn a lesson about taking short cuts

Reply #544783 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Short cuts? "Locking in" a young aussie with a very bright future, for 3 years, was one of the best off season signings in the league.
You're sounding pretty ignorant, Roger.

Reply #544784 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

I was more referring to import signing and retention of Veteran players.

Probably didn't articulate it well but I feel like Greenwood should not be the fall guy for the Wildcats season the administration should wear the blame

Reply #544785 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I'm guessing that you base recruiting decisions around the pieces that are already locked in. Identify the remaining needs and fill them as best as possible.
I'd say the Cats have got a pretty respectable track record of recent rosters.
Not much they can do when the longest term locked-in piece of the puzzle disappears totally out of their control. I don't think it's unreasonable to have assumed that Hugh's contract, which I assume did not have an AFL out clause, would be honoured.

Reply #544787 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Roger, I think calling him a 3-point rookie is a little disingenuous. Had Bogut come to the NBL rather than entered the draft after college, he would've been a "3-point rookie" too.

This is a league where small decisions make a difference and this sort of issue can be enough to disrupt recruiting and put a team behind the eight ball.

Reply #544789 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Tragic.

Wish him all the best, but have to think that he'll regret it.

Was it Ben Richmond who was the last AIS kid to go to the AFL without playing a game as a pro? (Subsequently hasn't played an AFL game, last seen kicking around the VFL)

Reply #544790 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'd be interested to know if the Cats can free up more points by renegotiating contracts for Martin and Redhage?

I don't know why U'U CHOSE to leave, but I'm also surprised they cut Ross without any replacement.

@ Roger, the problem is that regardless of being a 3 point player, Greenwood was seen as a BIG signing and an important part of the future. It was hard for them to chase anyone else, because it was assumed that Greenwood would be getting all the minutes he could backing up Martin AND Beal.

Mostly I am just peeved at the timing.
He should have made this choice a couple of months ago.

At this point, we really need to know how well Prather can play outside, becuase I didn't see much in his highlights.
Otherwise, when you look at who's potentially available, the Cats may need to scrap Prather for a Import PG or combo-guard, and sign an aussie big man for the front court.

Reply #544791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit funny that this Saturday night AFL history will be made when Jason Holmes becomes the first ever American born & raised player to play an AFL game for St Kilda against Geelong.

Reply #544792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol this is exactly what happened to Briana Davey.
The Australian women's soccer goalkeeper didn't make the World Cup squad so she ended up leaving. she then got drafted by the Western Bulldogs womens afl team.
Bit different without money involved....

Reply #544794 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I am still shocked by this to see he has actually done it.

Top guy, but gee wiz...

Reply #544796 | Report this post

mav dav  
Years ago

I would suggest to make a massive decision like this an AFL has all ready committed to him and he will be picked up under the alternate talent rule 11.1, will be added to an afl list between the afl grand final and October this year,

Reply #544798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mickey Luxford got 80k rookie base minimum for 3 years, then 1000-4000 per game depending on which team selected for. Once elevated to senior list the base increases.

Reply #544801 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul how about Pendlebury and Danyle Pearce?"

They both played footy fit through juniors. Greenwood has had a long break from the game. That's ok for athletic bigs who are a rarity in Aussie rules, but smaller guys are a dime a dozen so he's actually going to have to be an exceptional player to make it, not just an athlete, and the long break will make that hard.

Reply #544802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luxford was a PG for Aussie under 17s, had never played footy apart from mucking around at school

Reply #544803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Greenwood was a very talented junior footballer

Reply #544804 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

I know who's throwing the toys out of the cot, you lot! Settle down he was never going to start for Perth. So you need a new back up guard, whoopee!
Grow a pair and move on.
And as for all the insults,I'm sure he cares what you whingers think..Laughable!

Reply #544805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hugh would of been earning good coin in the NBL. Surely around the $100k mark i would of thought. Europe would of been an option as well. I'm not sure this is a financial decision, as i think he would of taking a pay cut to pay AFL.

He got called up for the boomers when he was 18 and now after college he get dudded for Gliddon. I think it would be a feeling that basketball wise he feels like he is going backwards perphaps.

Reply #544807 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Perth were planning on making Greenwood the successor to Martin at PG. It will sting them this season but will be a huge pain in the future after Damo slows down.

Reply #544810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah Hugh wouldn't have done this unless he had the commitment of $$$ by a club. He will be on a playing list and its good publicity for the AFL. Especially because of the code switch. We have seen the hype behind Carmichael, Folao etc. Its a good look to have the best of other codes come across.

The fact is that the AFL can and will pick the cream of the crop of NBL and offcuts of NCAA. We have seen it with most of our best such as Patty.

There is an ongoing strategy by the AFL to get basketball players (especially American) because of the athleticism and overall Americanization of the game. That's why the recruiters are spending much of their time in L.A. In 10-15 years the AFL will be a different game.

Reply #544814 | Report this post

"So you need a new back up guard, whoopee!"

Do you think you could deliberately downplay the entire situation any more?

Reply #544816 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Didn't Ricky Henderson play for Ballarat Miners and Josh Jenkins for Mount Gambier in SEABL.Stand to be corrected.

Reply #544818 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I get the feeling he was good at both growing up, but getting that AIS scholarship at 15 is too good of an offer to pass up. He's now maybe realised he's not quite as good as he was hoping he'd be so is going back to the spot he loves more?

Pretty bad to do it after making a committment to the Wildcats, but the heart wants what the heart wants

Reply #544822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As the OP I knew my source was a good one!
Still surprised though.
Lets see if the second part was right also and see if it is indeed the Crows that have committed to him.

Reply #544824 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Absolute dog act by the kid.

Reply #544825 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"not going to dig deep and work hard to get to higher ceilings."

because AFL players get it so easy. Every week there are 31 in each team's squad that don't get to play in the first 22. In NBL there are half a dozen. AFL players get hit and tackled for a living. NBL players call for a foul when that happens. Yeah, he's not accepting a challenge at all.

Remember folks, the stereotypical career path for the modern generation is to make multiple career changes throughout their working life (2-3 changes is the contemporary normal). This guy's just made his first, after focusing on a basketball career for ~7 years.

He didn't handle this well with the Wildcats. That said, it's a bit of karma for their handling of cutting Muo to sign Ross, 4 weesk before the start of last season. "Professionalism" cuts both ways.

For those querying AFL's interest in recruiting players without AFL experience, there was a really interesting article on tv earlier this year about the annual AFL recruitment camps in the USA. They run testing sessions over a few days to test graduating college athletes from different sports. They focus on the ones who don't get into elite leagues and for whom the professional options in their chosen sport are limited or nil. The ones who test okay get invited to a subsequent camp and they do a little bit of footy-specific skill development and education about the game. Not sure where it goes from there.

Reply #544826 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

He should of completed the season with Perth then asked to be released from his contract to pursue AFL. Leaving it this late to find a replacement is not a very honorable thing to do, I sure hope the club had not spent money ordering Hugh Greenwood merchandise.

The OP mentioned it had a lot to do with Gliddon being picked over him as a replacement which, if true, is a pretty sad reason to turn your back on the club and the sport.

I'm probably being a little bitter here also but it feels a little unethical for an AFL club to poach a player that they know is already contracted even if its from another code.

Anyways I hope it works out for him, I guess he feels he has made the best decision for himself and his future.

I wonder if the Cats might look at either Kenny or Eli from NZ ? They both looked decent against the boomers.

Reply #544828 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The West Australian have also confirmed he is heading to the Adelaide Crows.

"It is understood the 23-year-old will join the Adelaide Crows as a Category B rookie, allowing him to be accessed by the club immediately."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/29314873/greenwood-quits-cats-to-become-crow/

Reply #544830 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

PeterJohn,

I was referring to the "higher ceilings of basketball". Not sport in general.

Sorry should have made that clearer.

Reply #544831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit harsh to call it a dog act.
I don't think it was linked to his recent boomers snub.
The timing isn't ideal but the Wildcats do have 11 points to play with so don't feel to sorry for them.

Reply #544832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As mentioned above, it is apparently a dog act for him to quit 7 weeks before the season but when the Cats cuts Muo 4 weeks before the season last year that is all good?

Reply #544840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a sook. What sport will he jump to when he doesn't get AFL games handed to him on a plate?

Reply #544843 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I don't agree with the treatment of Muo or how he was cut, but didn't Perth pay out his contract ?

Reply #544844 | Report this post

Muo would have been compensated, and its not like he was in high demand from other clubs. Greenwood has left the Cats in a very tough spot at this stage of the pre-season.

Reply #544846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you almost feel sorry for the wildcats but karma has come back to bite them for signing earnest Ross last year. seems like they can't handle it going both ways

Reply #544853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have thought Greenwood could have had a similar career to Damo or Gibbo if he avoided major injuries or personal problems.

12+ years on well below an average AFL salary (although still earning 6 figures) although the average AFL career is only 4 years.

2 teams this year have had their multi year deals ripped up, so if his heart isn't with basketball he should have a crack at footy. If it works it will be a major windfall financially. If it doesn't work at least he won't have regrets.

Reply #544854 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kind of similar to the Cherry-Evans backflip.

That left GC in a similarly difficult position having passed on other players/let players go..and are now in a position where they have no adequate cover.

Reply #544855 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Muo was paid out. Have a problem with how late Greenwood has quit if he had of done it a month earlier or end of the season I wouldn't have as much of a issue.

Reply #544857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because rejecting a NBL contract to join the Crows worked out so well for Ben Dowdell :P

Good luck to him but it is going to be a long road.

Reply #544867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can always go back to basketball if the AFL doesn't work out. This would be is only shot at AFL though. Good luck to him.

Reply #544868 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

On the one hand I feel that this is a great loss to basketball that I should be very sad about.

On the other hand, it screws my least favourite basketball team and possibly advantages my football team. What's not to like?

Reply #544875 | Report this post

XY FTW!!! Can't argue with that logic!

Reply #544876 | Report this post

That's Karma Cats  
Years ago

No sympathy from me for the arrogant wildcats.
Best of luck to Hugh. If that is where his passion is then that is where he should go.

Reply #544885 | Report this post

That's Karma Cats  
Years ago

Actually he should take Matty Knight with him. Didn't he mention an interest in AFL?

Reply #544886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the guy saying cats shouldn't have been basing their recruiting plan on greenwood the main issue here is the timing and the fact their ability to secure a replacement is hurt by it. 11 points but who is actually left?

Reply #544887 | Report this post

Two quality posts there!

Reply #544890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why people are saying karma in reference to Earnest Ross

Reply #544902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch Creek is next..

Reply #544904 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Nick Marvin fronts the press:
https://audioboom.com/boos/3489539-nick-marvin-press-conference-21-august-2015

Reply #544913 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Interesting comment here which makes his actions over being excluded from the boomers more sense.

"n November 2013, before his junior season at UNM began, Greenwood told the Journal his plan to return to the pitch one day.

"If I wasn't on their national radar (for basketball), I’d be off playing footy right now," Greenwood said. “My dream is to play in the Olympic Games and obviously that happens through the national team. If they weren’t still interested in me, I’d be playing Aussie rules footy.” "

http://www.abqjournal.com/631238/sports/former-lobo-greenwood-drops-hoops-to-pursue-aussie-rules-football.html

Reply #544914 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

A shame yes, but Id prefer this happen now than 8 games into the season. He is late to the party to get into the AFL though, by his age he would normally already been in a team for a couple of years.

Would be interesting to see if we do try for Drake again.

I esp like the part about the 'Making sure he dosnt just pop up for MElbourne united next season'. Its possible Hugh could change his mind again, and this way the Wildcats make sure he either comes back to them or sits out of ball for a while.

Reply #544921 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Losing Mitch Creek to AFL would be a blessing in disguise for Adelaide.

Reply #544928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty clear he doesn't love basketball, just a means to an end. Best gone now.

Reply #544937 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Gaze on S.E.N. had some things to say about this, I haven't got the quotes but some of his points were interesting, going something like this.

1. Greenwood has moved for the money, don't be fooled into thinking it is anything else. (Well there are 2.5 billion reasons for this now I guess)

2. College athletes in the US will continue to be targeted by the AFL, because very few actually go on to pro sport careers, they get jobs but are A+ athletes compared with many Aussies here. (He has a point there).

3. Greenwood was touted as a decent footballer at the age of 15, he was probably always going down this track. (Appears this may be the case).

4. The NBL needs to be an open market, no salary or points limitations to compete. (This is interesting because it may lead us to losing teams before gaining in the long term, but is the NBL in a position to do this)?

Let's face it, the AFL is a juggernaut on the AUS sporting landscape and the NBL is only a small player at best in dollar terms, what can we do but ride this out and hope it provides some other baller an opportunity in his place...?

Reply #544940 | Report this post

rummy  
Years ago

Greenwood could have a way longer career in bball than afl also. Most afl careers last 4 years on avg and even the high end players are cooked by age 30.

Reply #544942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't see how an open market would have solved this problem. Greenwood's value on an open market in the NBL is still not high.
AFL is sinking millions of dollars into expanding there recruiting scope and I'll bet that they are subsidising Greenwood's salary. He is worth very little to the Crows right now as an AFL player but I'll bet the AFL's "poach players from non traditional fields" kitty fund will be happy to pay Hugh's bills for a while.

Reply #544945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom line: AFL has shit loads of cash to throw around but even the richest NBL teams do not and even if they did no one in their right mind would be signing Hugh Greenwood as a marquee player.

Reply #544947 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"He can always go back to basketball if the AFL doesn't work out. This would be is only shot at AFL though. Good luck to him."

Would an NBL team take him after this, though? Hugh might decide to go back to basketball, sign to a team, and then decide he was born in the wrong body and wants to be a woman.

I think the main assumption is right; it is a mixture of money, and the fact that his Olympic dream is unlikely at best.

Reply #544976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB, are you saying that Hugh is switching to the AFL after being snubbed by the OPALS??

Reply #544980 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

4 years at $200,000

10 years at $150,000

Poor business decision IF he doesn't excel in the AFL

Brogan was the only notable to switch and he stuck more because he was 6'8

Reply #544989 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Totally agree an "open market" would not have solved this issue. Wildcats offered him what was his market value in the NBL.

Heck you could even argue what the Wildcats offered him is his market value worldwide (he could have gone to Europe but it would have been a lower league paying similar to what he would have got with Perth).

Sad if the move is financially drven as I presume the Wildcats deal would have been for $230k odd over the 3 years im guessing - not exactly peanuts lets be honest

Reply #544991 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Much as I am disappointed with the timing of this, maybe we should look at the inherent falsehoods that are foisted on young athletes. Promising young players are lured to US Colleges to play for free (in return for degrees in basket-weaving) based on the lure of the bright lights of the NBA. They probably have a better chance of becoming astronauts.
For every Bogut, there's a hundred Greenwoods, and for every Greenwood, a thousand discards we don't even hear about.

Much as I LOVE the NBL, you couldn't recommend it as a career, especially when there is doubt every year about its continued existence.
Greenwood would have got a RUDE shock when he went to rent a place to live in Perth. No wonder he has opted to join the Crows.

Reply #544998 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

When you haven't got a job and something comes along you take it. If something better comes along you move on. Its a job for these guys and while its probably not the right thing to do no one seems to care too much when the clubs cut players that have years left on their contracts.

I know a couple for ex pro players and the way they see things is completely different to how we see things as fans..

Still, pretty shitty move.

Reply #545001 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

"Brogan was the only notable to switch and he stuck more because he was 6'8"

The same reason he got a look at basketball at which he was sort of scrub like. Great decision on his part because his basketball career would have been lucky to support him.

Is Ben Dowdell still listed with an AFL team? Is he any good at it?

He made the switch straight out of college but unlike Greenwood I believe he had no AFL background.

As for Gaze's suggestion that an open market would keep players like Greenwood in the NBL, thankfully a few others on here have shown a much better understanding of the NBL and it's financial state than A Gaze has. Gaze's suggestion has about as much sense to it a Barlow's crap about the points cap a few seasons ago.

Reply #545004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave - that is if you are a full-time employee - NOT a contract worker!

Reply #545009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So greenwood gives up on his boomers dream before even playing one professional game. Why wait until now? Either you're an exceptional talent who can make the team at a pre professional stage like exum or ben Simmons or you have to prove yourself in quality professional leagues. Clearly he doesn't belong in the former category so why sign a professional contact if you aren't willing to work towards your goal? Surely he knew before signing he was not a surefire boomer and couldve pursued afl. Just seems like an extremely flaky decision

Reply #545014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fstos,

Last I heard Ben Dowdell was playing footy in the mickey mouse NEAFL league after getting delisted by the Crows.

When he was on the Crows list he couldn't get an AFL game with them so was playing for South in the SANFL and was struggling in South's reserves team so moved to Centrals and played some SANFL league games with them but when the Crows cut him moved east to play in the NEAFL league.

Reply #545033 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kinda sick of people on social media saying "Aw but Hugh is a great humble bloke and is one of the nicest guys ever" etc.

Yes i know that. And i don't doubt that he is all of the above.

But that doesn't take away that what he has done is poor form and not a "good faith" practice.

He probably deserves a bit of stick (as long as its not over the top personal attacks as that is unnecessary)

Reply #545083 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Luxford was a PG for Aussie under 17s, had never played footy apart from mucking around at school"

And he's an OK VFL player, nothing more at this stage.

Reply #545086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Greenwood had done his ACL at training yesterday then Wildcats would be in the exact same position trying to find a replacement for the year... If replacing your rookie 3 point rated back up guard ruins your whole season like people here are acting like it has then your team must have something going wrong in terms of personnel, no matter how good he could potentially have been.

Reply #545091 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't think people here are saying that Perth's season is over??

If anything I know a lot of smart people in this forum will realise that they could potentially get even better from this i.e Jawai & Kenny. If they can get Kenny re-rated to a 1 they would essentially get 2 extra points to get Jawai or the like.

The general consensus as I understand is that people know Perth are still going to be a helluva team.

Do fans have a right to be angry? YES. Very much so. More than fair enough.If it happened to your team you would be equally upset. Hell call me sensitive but I'm even cut up and angry about Ibekwe chosing United to chase bigger $ considering we gave him the key to open up his NBL door per se.

Reply #545096 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

After stewing on this all day and being highly annoyed moreso because Greenwood was who excited me the most about my memberships this season I guess I've cooled down a bit and realized that Wildcats have a recent history of achilles injuries and had Hugh done that then he'd be out for the year and we would be back needing new players.

Sucks about the timing but no monies should be lost for this club (but it's not like the games will be any cheaper to attend)

@MACDUB, I certainly understand where your coming from but atleast Ibekwe's talent isn't lost upon us viewers all Greenwood changing sports

Reply #545144 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Greenwood is no Ibekwe!

Reply #545157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ironic that in the week Ashley Madison names get leaked, Wildcats and their fans feel like they've been cheated on by this guy and the AFL :(

Reply #545177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weak move by Greenwood. Came out of AIS with more hype than Mills and did nothing in the NCAA besides attain shaggy hair and tattooes. Bogan to the core. Who signs a contract and then jumps sports at the last minute? Embarrassing. He will flame out of footy too. Nothing surer.

Reply #545225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like Greenwood would not have succeeded as an NBL player even if he did stick it out. It's almost better to have him bail now before he has proven himself to be a flop than to find out for sure and then have him spit the dummy and quit mid season.
I honestly don't see him making it as an AFL player. He has totally the wrong mindset. He sounds like the stereotype of an entitled generation Y kid, and those types do not tend to work hard to climb to the top of their field. If he truly had a passion for AFL he would already be there. I predict that 3 years from now he will either be back in the NBL, or fallen off the sporting radar altogether.

Reply #545248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. My AFL contacts tell me Hugh has been through AFL draft camp style fitness tests while he was still a Lobo. Apparently he excelled.
Didn't he show up day 1 and ace the WCats Shuttle & Yo-Yo, 2nd in agility, milliseconds behind in the 20m sprint, 2nd in broad jump? Does he still own the AIS plank record? Not listed on the vertical but he has super long arms for his height.
He's an athlete and his body strength is maybe a season behind that of a decent AFL player.
2. How many players followed Goorjian when he was the Boomers Coach? Why did Hugh select the WildCats?
3. You mention his elder age for AFL, what about his window for Olympic Representation? With all the up and coming players, does he think it was Rio or bust?
4. Here's my 'guess', he was probably lead to believe (told) he was next in line. He (who else?) possibly should have gone to the last worlds instead of Peter Crawford (why not a younger player sit on the bench?). After Martin went down, He was probably feeling let down by his NBL Coach/Boomers Coach(es).
5. Who's heart is in to playing for someone who's paying you less and you feel has let you down?
6. No Brainer or impulse decision? Hay, he'll have to be better than Jack Watts - Time will tell.

Reply #545262 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crawford didnt go to the last worlds, he went to the 2012 Olympics.

Reply #545263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Jack, :-) I mean Paul. I stand corrected.
How quickly the years pass.
At least for a footy person, Other Basketball experts agreed that Crawford shouldn't have been there. Nor in London. That was part of my guess section anyway. Should I stick my neck out and say Gibson? Should I stick my neck out and say some insights are not a guess?

Reply #545266 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

What does it say about the skill needed for football that they can just grab someone with athleticism from another sport and mould them into a player?

Yes, Greenwood played as a junior, but how long ago?

They are now trying to lure American college players over to play a game they've never ever seen before. Is it fair to say that football is a ridiculously simple game that doesn't take a lot of fundamental skill if you have the right natural gifts?

(I am actually asking the question - I don't overly watch the footy)

Reply #545268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saw that Hugh tweeted
"Let not the opinions of man interfere with the directions given to you by God."

My responses
1 LOL
2 SMH
3 Good luck in the AFL Hugh. If that's where God wants you then who are any of us to argue!!!

Reply #545275 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

He thinks he is Moses now

Reply #545277 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

@ GWB in regards to how easy Aussie Rules is to play ...

A decade ago teams wouldn't play skinny dudes because they felt they would struggle with the physicality

We have also seen them hate on shorter players regardless how good you are at winning the ball

These days they don't want to recruit you if you are slow....

Basically if you have height and a decent jump and good lateral movement then you will attract the AFL talent scouts. They also love that basketballers can understand the contexts of zones or man to man defence...

The rest they can mould into you...but sadly for afl if your not star at 23 then you'll highly unlikely ever be one and your basically cooked by 28 and by 30 the media want your head...

Compare all that to basketball and it wouldn't surprise me if an AFL star with a basketball background wins an AFL premiership and then chooses to play in the NBL in his 30's providing he gets a chance but if it was Pendlebury then I think he could be great at attracting sponsors and people to the game and speak very eloquently about the club, league etc

Good question mate

Reply #545283 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Oh and lastly the ruckman in the AFL is roughly 200cm and skinny as a bean pole and the club get him to put on size and by the time he gets to AFL standard he has the size to compete in ruck contests but literally has sfa agility... Compare that to your stereotypical small forward running around in the NBL who is also 200cm and is expected to be the third best rebounder, passer, outside shooter on the court...

I understand why an AFL club would atleast ask the question to basketballers far more than the rugby codes or soccer players

Reply #545284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree on much of that. When it comes down to it, Basketball is a far more Skilled sport, particularly, thanks to the Europeans, with the Bigs not being pigeonholed in today's game. I think the Bigs used to be able to make the change either way. But this has changed. Physically, the development of Bigs seems to be the same in both sports. Most (yes there are exceptions) don't peak physically until their later 20's. Close to home you can Look at the changes in the bodies of Longley & Bogut from college to their peaks. Numerous examples in AFL.

Reply #545289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: I'm all for calling out religious hypocrites, but this is subjective, personal and a bit unfair.)

Reply #545356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a lot of hate out there.

Well, it's Hugh's life and he should know what's best for him. Maybe the insecurity of the NBL bothered him. Also that fact the NBL clubs can & do cut players regardless if they have a contract & how long is left on it. At least that doesn't happen in the AFL. AFL clubs honour player contracts.

Anyhow, good luck to him. Hope he makes it.

As for poster above^, I think you'll find games at any AFL team accumulate. That is why it is games played, not games played at one club.

Reply #545442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ I wonder if you'd say that about his Mum if your Mum, Grand Mother, Aunt, sister, etc had Breast Cancer or had died from breast cancer! You're a Knob!

Reply #545445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its a betrayal for all the Pink Pack basketball fans that raised 10'000s of dollars for his mum and others. let's see if he continues it on in the AFL. Knob.

Reply #545461 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hey Anon, you're hurtful words and personal opinion of Hugh are a disgrace. This forum is about basketball. For personal reasons it is obvious Hugh made a tough decision and a life decision on a sport he left home for at 14yo and has committed to for 10years 24/7. This is nothing about his choice of religion, nothing about the 100k he has voluntarily raised for Cancer Research in the USA, nothing about his dying mother's secondary cancer battle. You know nothing...you brave little anon keyboard warrior. Hugh has more integrity and respect than you can only dream of...but to know that you will need to crawl back into your hole and do a little research...."basketball" that is.

Reply #545539 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

More than a few years back there was a tall clumsy kid playing basketball in Dampier.
His Uncle suggested he come down to Perth and try AFL. Fortunately the uncle had friends in the football world an convinced the Eagles to take a punt on his nephew with their 2nd pick in the ROOKIE draft.

Dean Cox went on to play a record 290 games, revolutionised the role of the modern ruckman, picked up a premiership and several AA's along the way.

I'm NOT fan of trying to convert players to AFL, but most Aussie kids grow up kicking a footy.

Reply #545697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/former-nbl-player-hugh-greenwood-caught-training-with-crows-as-deal-looms/story-fnia3xzy-1227510650618.

$240k for 3 years. Easy pickings.

Reply #547927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

250 for 3 yrs and about what we he will get in AFL as rookie, if he doesn't dominate.

After 3 yrs of NBL if he was any good he could go to Europe and get as much as the highest paid guy in the AFL. Note when Euro contracts are mentioned they don't include tax.

Plus with boomers qualifying through asia he would have been a boomer.

Shoulda stuck with hoops!

Reply #547928 | Report this post

His heart wasn't in it, so no, he shouldn't have stuck with hoops.

Reply #547929 | Report this post

Years ago

^^ that's fine and I respect for him for that. But lets not make it about money yet. People don't understand our AFL is just not an international game. Australia is a very small sporting country as a far as athlete salary goes, likewise for the AFL.

Reply #547930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't going to be a Boomer, me thinks.

Reply #547966 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:15 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754