Isaac
Years ago

Isaac Humphries commits to Kentucky

Calipari:

To have a 7-footer who just turned 17, he has a lot still in front of him, and the best part is he wants the challenge of playing at UK.

Kentucky Basketball:
The reports are true. We've added a big piece to this year's team.
Already loaded with one of the best recruiting classes in the country, the Kentucky men's basketball team has bolstered its 2015-16 frontline with the addition of Australian big man Isaac Humphries. UK head coach John Calipari announced the signing on Thursday.

"I watched Isaac when he first came over to the United States in high school in Indiana and was impressed with his skill and size," Calipari said. “He reminded me of a much bigger Josh Harrellson. He’s very skilled, has great hands and is a great passer. To have a 7-footer who just turned 17, he has a lot still in front of him, and the best part is he wants the challenge of playing at Kentucky.”

A 7-footer from Australia, Humphries was originally a member of the 2016 class before just recently reclassifying to 2015. As a member of the 2016 class, he was rated a top-50 prospect by most major recruiting services.
Full story

Topic #37757 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is mature enough to reclassify, being born very early in the year makes it less of an issue about his age than people may think. Big hands, strong body, he will be fine, good luck Isaac!

Reply #544819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's just hope that he doesn't play 2 minutes a game in his first season

Reply #544827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ On my above comment, I am just hoping that with the depth of talent UK have, that Isaac doesn't get buried in the rotations and plays very few minutes.

I realise it's his first season but I believe if he doesn't get decent minutes, it will holt his development.

Training with great players is nice but as we all know, playing in games, is what further develops players.

I season of very little playing time, will be a set back for him IMO.

Thoughts?

Reply #544864 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I'm sure he would have weighed up his options, I doubt he would have reclassified and signed with Kentucky if they aren't promising a decent amount of minutes.

I'm getting excited for this years college season though!

Reply #544869 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Hopefully ESPN will be playing Kentucky and LSU games all college season.....fun!!

Reply #544883 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Some awesome Aussie talent in college hoops this coming season...

Reply #544892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC how many minutes (approximately) do you see Humphries playing this coming season?

Reply #544894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does it matter if he plays significant minutes? He's likely only missing out on 20-25 high school games, and he gets to replace those with practices against Skal Labissiere everyday. I just wonder if being on the bench at Kentucky isn't going to help his progress more than dominating high school competition, at least next year. Actual court time is probably a bit of a bonus. If he didn't get minutes as a sophomore, when he could be starting for a significant number of NCAA teams, then I'd wonder about the decision. And it's quite possible he gets recruited over the top of when you look at who Kentucky has on their 2016 list.

Reply #544901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No coach is going to promise minutes.

Reply #544903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches don't decide minutes, players do. Coaches want to win and play players who contribute to that happening. Isaac will get every minute he deserves

Reply #544908 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

^Spot on...

Reply #544944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he'll get 10 mins a game this season.
If he's 7'0 250 now...
What's he gonna weigh when he does some weight training?
We know ben simmons has gone from 220 lbs to 245 In just over a year.
Humphries Could be 265 plus by season 2. Baynes and Bogut are 260.

Reply #544977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will probably depend on upcoming recruiting classes, if Kentucky recruit and get lottery bound big men the next couple of years which is likely based on last couple of years does Humphries become 3rd string and stuck on bench.
There's no way in hell he'd be guaranteed minutes. My prediction is that he'll transfer after his sophomore season.

Reply #545012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way he transfers.. He will be there 2-4 seasons.
Look at their recruiting for next year and their after a couple of power forwards/small forwards.
If ulis, Murray, Briscoe, Poythress and labisieere go to the draft then the other draft spots are open for guards only.

Reply #545018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see him having a better pro career then a college one. Kentucky are usually up-tempo offences which won't suit him.

In saying that though Labisierre, Murray and Trier suit Humphries skill-set.

Reply #545054 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

will they platoon again ?

Reply #545085 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754