CatChat
Years ago

Greenwood replacement options

Given the news of Hugh Greenwood's defection to AFL who are the potential replacements the Wildcats could look at?

Jarred Kenny? (looked ok vs Boomers)
Peter Crawford? (too old?)
Drake U’U? (also opted out of his Wildcats contract already though)
Brad Newley? (long shot)
Ryan Broekhoff? (even longer shot)
WA local?
College returnee/overseas based Aussie?
Or they try and get Scott Pendlebury to get one back on the AFL!

Options:

Martin/Back up PG
Beal/Back up SG
Prather/Hire
Wagstaff/Redhage
Knight/Jervis

OR

Martin/Back up combo guard
Beal/Prather
Redhage/Hire
Knight/Wagstaff
Jawai/Jervis

Topic #37758 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Earnest Ross lol. Make it happen

Reply #544850 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Maybe a surprising suggestion, but Jarrad Weeks looked like another player vs LSU, after his stint in Germany. Freak athlete who deserves a spot in the NBL, if that game wasn't a fluke.

Reply #544851 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

'Or they try and get Scott Pendlebury to get one back on the AFL!'

LOL

Reply #544852 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Burdon!

Reply #544858 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think Kenny would do a serviceable job.

Better ball handler than U'u who is not a natural PG

Reply #544860 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

If the Cats now have 11 points, do they go for broke and get a big 9/10 player plus a local 1/2 point rookie or get two mid range 5/6 players?
Personally I would go for broke.

Reply #544862 | Report this post

"Marvin: Forcing someone to fulfill a contract wouldn't benefit to us. But we've made moves to ensure he won't crop up at Melb Utd next year"

hahahahaha

Reply #544865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PC!

Reply #544866 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

PC, for me considering there situation and time frames, seems a simple answer. Has played for Trev before, was not fit at all last season, played well for West got in some form but more so fitness. Has played at Perth before, savvy vet.

Having said that, I dont know much about the other options besides Ross haha

Reply #544871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Option 1

Cut Prather
Sign Ennis or a better shooter than Prather who can backup the 2 then bring U'u and Burdon/Robbins back and hope lightning strikes twice

Option 2

Sign a 1pt ex-development player
Sign a SG/SF aussie from Europe *cough* Newley or Broekhoff *cough*

Reply #544872 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Newely and Broekhoff are contracted in Europe though, granted that this apparently means nothing these days but I cant see them pulling a contract where they are getting paid considerably more then Perth could offer them.

Reply #544880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Karma is good. Until the Wildcats support WA kids coming from decent college programs, how do they expect the WA basketball community to get behind them!?

Iliadis, Salinas (Prob too old), Armor, Godfrey, Field... All decent combo Guards - three out of the five from very good D1/D2 programs, Trian in particular with ODU! Iliadis has been ultra consistent in SBL this year and wouldn't look out of place but same ol story with the Cats - if you're good and from WA, good luck over east. Sh!ts me to tears but they've been like that forever so why change now? Examples - Wortho, DJ, Loughton, Gliddon, Burston & thats just off the top of my head. They should change their name to 'All of our supporters but no actual players who grew up in..' Perth Wildcats - Greggers & Tommy are the only exception to the rule and even they had to work their asses off to get the recognition!

Reply #544891 | Report this post

What has Perth not signing WA kids got to do with Greenwood pulling the pin?

Reply #544895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon

Wortho - the infamous brown paper bag
DJ - told Bevo he would sign with Perth then signed with Adelaide while Bevo was overseas because they offered the starting position.
Loughton - We had him straight out of college; he went to Europe when the NBL looked like folding and then when he decided to return he had no interest in returning to Perth Gliddon - yep, this one was botched
Burston - 6 years at the 'Cats where towards the end he could barely get on the court

poor examples

Reply #544897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac is half right with Burdon although Weeks could be a good addition too.
I actually like the idea of going after Jawai and bringing Prather off the bench as a swingman. Beal will have ro play some point guard.

Reply #544899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tracy McGrady

Reply #544905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allen Iverson

Reply #544911 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

If now isnt the time for Perth to sign Jayson Wells I dont know when is.

Reply #544915 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

What about E. Bartlett? Is he contracted to an NBL team? Played ok for NZ recently.

Reply #544916 | Report this post

imm  
Years ago

Brad RObbins??

Reply #544923 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

What about Jackson Aldridge, outstanding junior aussie PG went to Butler to ride the pine.

Not many options out there. Daniel Dillon would be a great pick up though still in lower Euro leagues.

I agree Illiadis is the best WA option and would now be a 1 point player.

Reply #544924 | Report this post

imm  
Years ago

I think Luke Martin would be worth looking at if he is out of prison.

Reply #544929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOLOLOLOL ^

Reply #544930 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon 544897...DJ was at Melbourne before Adelaide. Why didn't Perth pick him up before Melbourne?

Reply #544932 | Report this post

Because the McPeake Tigers offered him a ridiculous amount of money to be stashed at the end of their bench.

Reply #544934 | Report this post

rummy  
Years ago

Daniel Joyce is a solid combo guard and also a free agent atm. Kings did not renew him and hasnt pursued overseas options as of yet.

Reply #544938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Joyce is rubbish. Serious suggestions only please.

Reply #544941 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

People saying Brad Robbins... I love the guy, he was great for the Cats a few years back, but guys c'mon. He's old and fat and hasn't been able to manage more than 10 minutes on the court per game for the Wannaroo Wolves this season. He has barely played for them recently, and hasnt appeared for them during the playoffs.

Burdon, sure, maybe. Bartlett, unlikely. Weeks, eh. Kenny, unlikely. PC, maybe, but age?? Ross, nope. U'u, could be an option, but he is now working as an Account Coordinator back in the US, so unlikely. They will probz have to go with at least one SBL guy...

It's gonna be tough, they will have to decide rather quickly.

Reply #544952 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I say we look for a gun even if that is Outback Shaq or another guard and with the other player I'd love to see James Harvey return...

But Ideally I think everyone else is already contracted up that is worth a look

Maybe Benny Madgen during the season if things pan out like they did for Rhys Martin in Europe

Reply #544959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rummy is trolling

Reply #544964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No need to recycle the lukes of Harvey, Burdon, Joyce etc.
Look at recent college graduates and SBL talent

Reply #544971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harvey, Burdon, Joyce etc., I have heard of but who is Lukes?

Reply #544973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry faggot was a misprint i meant likes.

Reply #544974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get Jawai and Naburgs. Problem solved.

Reply #544992 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

What's with the Jawai idea? Wildcats have four big men already, and by signing Jawai, that would push Redhage to SF and Hire to SG, both no goes. Redhage is a bonafide PF, and Hire is definitely not a SG. Hire played PF in college and SBL, and only started playing SF for Wildcats in his first full contract season. Heck, Hire's first NBL play was Schenscher backing down on him in the post as a DP. I just don't think signing Jawai is a good idea, and I don't reckon the Wildcats will.

Reply #544999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats, for some reason continue to sign Matt Knight despite the fact he can barely stay on the court! For the last 4 seasons! WHY?????

So sign Jawaii and Tommy can back him up. Knight can spend another season rehabbing his calf and wait for the Wildcats to sign him to another contract for next season.

Then sign Gavin Field. He is an NBL pickup waiting to happen. Provides some great versatility, length and plays both ends of the floor.

Reply #545000 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Options:

1) Sign a big Aussie to the front-court (Jawai, or one of the Majoks?)
Return to the days of the "Perth (Great) Wall."
Move Prather to the SG role, and Beal to PG.

2) As above, except replace Prather with an import PG or combo.

3) Throw everything they can at getting the best available (but WHO is there?) Say 8 or 9 points.
Either do a points dodgy with Martin & Redhage, or get someone like Crawford or Ross to appeal their points down, to fill the 10th spot.

4) As above, but just sign Muo (2pts)or some random returning College kid (3) to the 10th spot.

5) Sign both Ross and Crawford

Reply #545006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember the Canberra cannons once had an exemption allowing 3 imports in their lineup. Perhaps Perth could apply for something similar given the nature of greenwoods departure and the timing leaving not many local options to replace him.

Reply #545011 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Anonymous: Not likely to happen.

A) Its the Perth Wildcats. Can you imagine how many people here would cry murder and then how many of the other teams?
B) Larry would want his first season in charge to follow the rules as is, not make an exception in the first season
C) Am Honestly not sure what they can do at this point in time. A lot of the options they would have gone with are gone and they arnt the team to turn to the SBL for a replacement.

Reply #545016 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Hope they have some local faith and grab someone from SBL.
1. Gavin Field
2. Benny Lewis
3. Trian Iliadis

Reply #545024 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Benny Lewis is headed to England, signed with Plymouth Raiders.

Reply #545026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cannons didn't have an exemption to suit 3 imports, back then there was a rule (briefly) that the wooden spooners or two bottom teams from the previous season could sign 3 imports instead of 2 the following season.

Reply #545030 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Or we could "discover" that Beal's Great-Grandfather was from American Samoa.

Reply #545035 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

From Boti : DON'T be surprised if the ever wily Wildcats turn Hugh Greenwood’s decision to quit the club to play AFL into a big pay-off.

My (e)mail is that while Greenwood’s decision to quit the NBL franchise one month into a three-year contract completely blindsided Perth - why wouldn’t it? – the club already has been in contact with New Zealand Tall Blacks international guard Jarrod Kenny.

Word too is that Perth is looking to have Kenny re-rated to a "1-point player" from, I think, an 8.

Low and behold, suddenly Nathan Jawai might become an additional option.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/hugh-goes-but-wait-theres-more/

Reply #545045 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'd be happy with Kenny and Jawai :P

Reply #545046 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Word off court is that it will be PC or Chris Cedar. Dont shoot the messenger on this scoop

Reply #545070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Cedar shit no thanks.
PC i don't mind

Reply #545073 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Jawai and Kenny would be decent additions, as Prather looks like he can play SG.

Jawai/Jervis/Knight
Knight/Wagstaff/Redhage
Prather/Hire/Wagstaff
Beal/Prather/Kenny
Martin/Kenny/Beal

The task would be a lancing minutes and making sure they were comfortable at two speeds given Te potential variability of their line-ups.

Reply #545074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Mick Cedar also no thanks

Reply #545075 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Pushing Knight to PF and Redhage to SF, with Jawai, is a no go I reckon. Kenny signing makes sense as Cats need a PG, but they need a SG now, not another Centre.

Reply #545077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be chasing hard after Jawai and Kenny.
Imports are expendable. Perth will be fine.
Sydney look the team to beat

Reply #545079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ Bruton?

Didn't PC leave the wildcats because he couldn't handle the amount of community work they require? So why would they want him back?

Reply #545084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me more about Kenny's game?

I watched the latter part of the Boomers game at Rod Laver and saw him splash a couple of spot up treys but is he a point guard playmaker type too? Or purely a spot up shooting type? I guess for 1 point I would take a good shooter who will be a hard nosed defender and good team guy. Is he a NZNBL player?

Reply #545090 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Kenny plays for the Hawke's Bay Hawks in the New Zealand NBL, and has been apart of the Breakers system in the past. In the NZNBL, he's worth about 10 points and 5 assists per game, so scale that to ANBL and he could be decent off the bench.

Reply #545092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would Kenny be a better option than Bartlett?

Reply #545094 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Different players. Bartlett is an offensive spark off the bench who can swing the game either way, Kenny is a hard working defensive PG who isn't a great offensive threat, not a great shooter, but can hit the three if given space, as the Boomers and a few other opponents found out this international season.

If you want discipline and D you'd sign Kenny, if you want x-factor and O you'd sign Bartlett.

Reply #545097 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

PC is in Whyalla all next week doing for peanuts, so doubt that it was the community work that was any potential issue. One of the better locker room guys going around, for what he would dictate price wise could be a valuable pick up.

Reply #545098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't one of Gleeson's first moves as coach to get rid of Bartlett?

Having said that, desperate times call for desperate measures so he might be considered.

I think Gleeson's preference is for defense-first though.

Reply #545115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson has no idea. Wasn't it his call to sign luke Martin?

Reply #545119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Fair comment. With this disastrous off-season and the amazing recruiting at the 'Gong, I yearn for the days of Bevo once more...

Reply #545129 | Report this post

Jude  
Years ago

Oh wasn't it Gleeson that sign Ennis go wildcats.

Reply #545137 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Kenny would in theory be a 9 point player, having played I think 1 game in Germany, but I think it would be reasonable to appeal that down somewhat.

As a back up to Martin, I think he would be fine, sounds a very similar type of player. But I would still want somebody with offensive spark. Beal can only do so much.

I don't mind the idea of Jawai. Historically Perth have run a big front court, and they showed last year that Jervis & Knight could start and play together to great effect.
No problem with Redhage/ Wagstaff/ Hire playing 3 or 4, as I said that's the historical Perth line-up.
But this presupposes that Prather can play SG, or at least a 2/3 type role.

I don't know on that, except that when recruiting the Cats said they were after "a swingman who could playy on the wing," and supposedly Prather is that guy. And he IS very short for a SF.

Still leaves them very tall though.

But I think the reality, when it comes to locals, especially at this point in the season, is that you grab advantage wherever you can.

Keep in mind that the Run, Gun, Stun & Fun days are long gone. The Cats play slow, bump & grind ball, with the emphasis on D.

Reply #545143 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Bartlett originally was forced out because of the points system. I think he was rated a 5 or 6.

For me, Get both Kenny and Bartlett.

Points systems a joke. Rate bench warmers on the best teams and players who played in Europe too highly.

Reply #545158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's rediculous that they brought in the points system because they openly admitted they couldn't police the salary cap. Just spend more effort in policing the salary cap and the points system isn't needed!

Reply #545167 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the last time Bartlett was playing for Perth. I would prefer Muo over Bartlett.

Reply #545174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai looks confirmed according to Twitter

Reply #545184 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Who's Twitter? Couldnt see anything on the Cat's, nice replacement if so. With some our bigs a little shaky health wise at adelaide pity we didnt have a crack at Jawai...

Reply #545187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be very happy with Jawai.
Kenny would be handy

Reply #545189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone think that if the Wildcats sign Jawai it could lead to them releasing Jervis or Wagstaff? Or even Redhage pulling a surprise retirement effective immediately? Probably highly unlikely, but could explain what they are thinking looking at another big. Plus they could still sign two back up guards.

Reply #545192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I highly doubt Wagstaff or Redhage will go but agree that cats are very thin okin the backcourt. The opportunity to add Jawai is too good to pass up

Reply #545195 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Jawai looks confirmed according to Twitter "
Where are you getting that source ?

Reply #545196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't seen it on Twitter either

Reply #545197 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

David Pick ‏@IAmDPick 2h2 hours ago
Source: Nate Jawai - Aussie muscle, Euro center - finalizing deal with homeland club Perth Wildcats.

Reply #545198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome

Reply #545199 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Wildcats are going big. May need to bring Beale or Redhage off the bench as a sixth man, more likely Beale.

Also, Redhage will move from 4 to 3.

Wildcats will need to another guard.

Reply #545200 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Wow that would be big pick up for Perth. Hope its true. My only concerns would be players having to play out of position. Kinght would have to spend time as a PF and Redhage/Wagstaff having to possibly spend time at SF.

Reply #545201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@IAmDPick is normally spot on with these.

Reply #545202 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Spread could look something like this;

Knight 10/ Jawai 15/ Jervis 15
Wagstaff 20/ Redhage 10/ Knight 10
Prather 15/ Hire 15 / Redhage 10
Beal 25 / Prather 15
Martin 30 /Beal 5 / ? 5

Reply #545203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai is not necessarily going to play huge minutes. So there will be times when guys have to slide to a different position, but that's modern basketball these days anyway.

Reply #545204 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Atleast they would have an insurance policy for if/when Knight is out with injury

Reply #545205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bigger concern would be if Martin is injured otherwise that's a good squad imo.
Talk of players playing out of position is slightly overrated

Reply #545206 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I hear Jawai will make his decision by Tuesday.

Reply #545207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fingers crossed GWB he goes to Perth and not Adelaide

Reply #545208 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The reality is that Bench players don't get a whole lot of minutes, unless they are a genuine 6th man, or the starters are getting old, BUT they really come into their own when injuries hit.
Part of the Cats problem last season was lack of depth when injuries & illness hit.
Given that Knight is getting on, and injury prone, and Redhage is past his prime and seeing less minutes, signing somebody of Jawai's talent is a good move.

There doesn't need to be radical "out of position" moves. Knight can and has played PF, including alongside Jervis. In the Wildcats/ NBL style of game, Redhage, Wagstaff, and Hire can all play 3 or 4. Beal IS a 1/2.
The question remaining is what role(s) can Prather play in the NBL.

Plus nobody's pretending this doesn't leave a massive hole for a backup guard. Reality is that the NBL could cut them some slack filling that spot. With some tweaking, the Cats COULD have 15 points spare and/or the NBL could allow their replacement player to appeal his points.

Reply #545226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only one who might be left out in the cold a little from a Jawai signing might be Jervis, but I think he's a bit overrated in any case and wouldn't be fussed to see him relegated to 3rd string centre to be used "as required" i.e. in the case of Jawai foul trouble or Knight injury.

Reply #545235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They better get his ass in shape

Reply #545242 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I like the idea of having Jervis playing less minutes and I'm not being disrespectful in my opinion but if you tell him to go out there and be physical and not to worry greatly about foul trouble then he will be more of an asset.

He gets good numbers when given Knights minutes but he doesn't impose himself like I'd like... He is a big angry dude and he should be changing shots and taking no shit from anyone

Reply #545281 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

I wouldn't mindjerrvis is at the Sixers. We won't get Jawai I am sure

Reply #545282 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Boti twitted last night Jawai will be going to Perth

Reply #545310 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754