imm
Years ago

Which AFL club will sign Greenwood?

Will Hugh Greenwood join a vic club given its close to his tassie home?

Will most clubs be interested in his services? Important to note he does not have to go through the draft as a non afl player and can go where he likes.

Could he command 6 figures + per year in his first season or two? or will he be base wage with a short term contract...

I sense he will either go to the Crows or a big Victorian club such as Richmond or Collingwood. Discuss..

Topic #37761 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its Crows. Although not confirmed their has been a lot of social media hints indicating he will join the Crows. For example the CEO just started following him on twitter, he became friends with Josh Jenkins on Facebook and also started following numerous Crows players on Twitter.

Reply #544935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Collingwood spoke to him before his college career.

Rumour has it now though, the club which he is going to is Adelaide.

Reply #544936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The article about it in The West also names Crows as the team.

Reply #544939 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

So we will be watching him run around the SANFL for the next couple years till he realises "what the hell have I done"

Reply #544943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minimum rookie wage is $57k next season according to this link - http://aflagents.com.au/images/uploads/AFLPA067_Wellbeing_Program_Factsheet_WEB.pdf

I imagine that is slightly below what he would have been on at the Wildcats this season ~60k; if Adelaide is offering a 2 or 3 year rookie deal it might be enough if his heart lay with australian rules rather than basketball

Reply #544948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will have to wait and see. He has good physical attributes. Whether he has the right skills and instincts for AFL is yet to be seen. The odds are probably against him considering how many others he is up against but then again he will get an easier path because he would make a good story so will be given every chance to succeed.

Reply #544950 | Report this post

No Crow  
Years ago

As an Adelaide Crows supporter I don't want him. Has been a total knoblet with the way he's handled the situation. Hope he goes elsewhere.

Reply #544956 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Surely he would have been on more than 60k at the wildcats, if thats all he was on then I guess this is low risk for him

Reply #544961 | Report this post

The Captain  
Years ago

No Crow you are not a Crows supporter. Jack off with your stupid comments.

The way it works in the AFL, a Category B player such as Greenwood is a free hit for the club. If he works out - great, if he doesn't it is of minimal cost. It is a great move by AFL clubs to use this to see if they can unearth a good player outside the normal draft constraints.

Normally it tends to attract Irish players, cricketers or the odd basketball player that is at a much lower level.

Greenwood might be the most talented basketball player to have made the switch (even including Brogan).

Reply #544963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely he has been signed already if he's jumped ship. Massive risk to leave guaranteed money on the table in the NBL without something organised in the afl

Reply #544967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What number will he wear? Omg guys seriously.

Reply #544968 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I have a feeling this will end up more or less like the Karmichel Hunt experiment. He might have one or 2 solid games over say a year, but for the rest of the time he will either be playing for the Adelaide reserves or he wont get many touches.

Im guessing the Wildcats wish this had happened before Lisch signed somewhere else.

Reply #544969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will be like Ben Dowdell again struggling to get a kick at SANFL level.

Saying that though Josh Jenkins used to be a squad member with the Townsville Crocs before switching to footy with Essendon and then the Crows.

Reply #544985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Osborn left tassie to to play for the crows. Reportedly of far more than the minimum. People here talking about playing a couple of senior games dont know anything about the recruiting process. The afl system is expected to hire 2 players ever year that meet certain requirements. Hows is Ben Richmond doing at collingwood? Another good basketballer and Tassie basketballer too. Now no where.

Reply #544988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't really work out too well for guys like Ben Dowdell or Ryan Bathie (Geelong).

Ricky Henderson has put together a decent AFL career with the crows after playing seabl basketball for ballarat.

At age 23 though he will need everything to go to plan. If he was really that good at basketball wouldn't he be playing in Europe anyway?

Reply #544990 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

He is the same height as Ricky Henderson of the Crows and a few kg heavier. It is the aerobic capacity and agility of the basketballers that make them appeal as an alternative recruit.

Only time will tell if he made the right decision. Still time to go back to basketball later if it doesnt turn out.

Reply #545010 | Report this post

Johl  
Years ago

Surely nbl players get paid More then 60k a year that's woeful no wonder the league struggles

Reply #545031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minimum wage for a season in the NBL is actually $38k.

Reply #545034 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The Eagles signed Cory Adamson under this rule, he had a brief stint as a baseball player in the USA.
He has been playing for East Perth in the WAFL, and he is a GUN.
He would have already made his AFL debut except it's not allowed as he is a category B rookie

Reply #545036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lesson I've learned from this saga is beware of trusting a Tasmanian

Reply #545044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank goodness he didn't sign for the Eagles. I will be booing my guts out at him when he comes to town (assuming he gets a game with the Crows)

Reply #545056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously nobody can knock the dude for looking after himself first and foremost.

There is minimal coin in Aus hoops and he either didn't want the euro path or wasn't good enough.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Reply #545057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats fine but he should never have signed with the Cats then.

Reply #545059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His closest comp is prbably Jack Watts in terms of a talented player who looks quite feminine and chose football over basketball.

Jack Watts hasn't met expectations yet probabaly saves more money in a season then I will in my working career. I hope Hugh can do the same.

Reply #545066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I LOL at your looks quite feminine comment because at some point in the last day there was a pic of him in my twitter feed and at first glance I thought it was Lauren Jackson

Reply #545067 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Wasnt Scott Pendelbury a gun basketballer?

I thought Patty Mills took his spot at the AIS when he moved to football. The change in sports worked ok for him

Reply #545082 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

So IF he wins a Brownlow, one day will everyone still say he is a dog and he is a disgrace or that he was just young and made some mistakes at the beginning but it all worked out well in the end... just curious, lot of hate his way right now.

Reply #545101 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I thought Patty Mills took his spot at the AIS when he moved to football. The change in sports worked ok for him"

It wasn't really a change of sports, Pendlebury was playing both.

Reply #545102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Kobe24, let's be clear we ain't hatin on Hugh because he wants to play footy, it's that he decided to d1ck the Cats around by signing a contract and then leaving them in the dust after a whole month.

It would seem that Hugh's passion has always lay in footy so why sign the contract and mess a club around like that? I guess some blame should also be apportioned to the Wildcats - was sufficient due diligence done about this and how strongly did they "interrogate" him to make sure he was fully committed to the cause. I guess it's fair enough to assume that most guys who do 4 years of college at a high level and sign a contract are fair dinkum.

Reply #545116 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He is a kid who had poor judgement on what to do with a contract offered to him with a guarantee for a heap of cash. Realistcally what would any of us do? I damn sure know what his agent wouldve been telling him to do, then when the AFL came knocking, im pretty sure I know what his agent told him to do... again! Its business its cut throat, these teams dont care about feelings its cut throat and its starting to go both ways more these days. The Cats shouldve done alot more research on this one, the timing sucks, but in business that happens sometimes, but the chance of him leaving was always on the cards. Very interestig situation though.

Reply #545165 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

test post - having [problems with posts not working]

Reply #545182 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

For those interested in Greenwood's chances of making the grade in the AFL, this article may be of interest: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/aug/20/st-kildas-jason-holmes-set-to-become-first-american-to-play-afl-game

Jason Holmes is a USA college basketball player signed to the St Kilda rookie list 2 years ago. He makes his senior AFL debut this weekend.

Reply #545183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe24 yes it is part of business at the end of the day. But bad behaviour is bad behaviour and we are going to call that out and he should understand that too is part of business

Reply #545209 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Dont forget Greenwood was playing state footy at 16 for Tasmania so can clearly play.

Fitness is right up there as indicated in beep testing at pre season Perth.

Not sure if he'll make AFL but its worth a shot.

Reply #545291 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

116 thinking Greenwood when he signed for the Cats may have been thinking he would have a spot on the Boomers team as many of us thought he would with his previous appointments showing real promise. Instead took Martin who is getting on and a great player but youth is needed and experience at boomer level. Martin is now also becoming injury prone and would have huge risk of degenerative injuries due to length of time playing hard ball. Greenwood wants to succeed but knows how it all works and he can have some glory playing football and a great income as well. Maybe he is just over it. So don't sook over he cats thing, they have enormous advantage with all their imports naturalising and money to burn and a government funded facility. No one else is crying for them except cats supporters. Good luck to Greenwood. LOss for Basketball and if it doesn't pan out at footy which is sometimes doesn't then he can return with welcome arm as as he is young enough. THinking Adelaide as they have a close relationship with the Sixers and has Boomer players he has a relationship with in Peach and Gibbo and Motto Motto even though he has moved on to Europe.

Reply #545295 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754