Callisto 75
Years ago

Sydney Kings sign Dion Prewster

The Sydney Kings will soon announce the signing of New Zealand Tall Black Dion Prewster, league sources have told Downtown.

Prewster, a 6'4″ swingman, was involved in the recent FIBA Oceania series vs the Australian Boomers, having received the late call-up as an injury replacement.

He will join the Kings on the back of a strong season in the New Zealand NBL with the Wellington Saints where he averaged a career-high 14.3 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 20 games, helping Wellington advance to the Grand Final series.

Prewster, 25, was born in the USA to a Samoan mother and American father, but moved to New Zealand at the age of seven. He returned to the U.S. to play college ball before joining the New Zealand Breakers as a development player for the 2011/12 season.

The Kiwi is keen to take his game to the next level over the next 12 months.

"I’ll be 26 next year, so I’m starting to creep up into my prime years and this is a pivotal point of my career where I can really propel myself and play at a really high level," he told stuff.co.nz recently.

With the addition of Prewster, the Kings have now completed their roster for the 2015/16 season.

Topic #37762 | Report this topic

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Eh, cheap 10th man option I guess. While he's been serviceable in the New Zealand NBL, he will play sparingly for the Kings as most 10th men do. Will help him build his career for sure though.

Reply #544975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't they just sign Rhys Carter?

Why would they need Prewster?

Reply #544987 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Different positions. Prewster sounds like a 3/2, while Carter is a 1/2.

We don't have a true backup SF, so it kinda makes sense from a position standpoint, but I can't say I know much about him outside of recognizing his name from the Oceania series.

Reply #544994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will fill in the bench 3 spot, therefore giving Childress a breather when needed.

Reply #544995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So 3-5 minutes a game :)

Reply #545008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent signing. The Kings are loaded

Reply #545043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better than white. Definite upgrade

Reply #545055 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This kid has real potential. Can play D, board, handle, get to the hoop and has added a three-point shot. The thing holding him back was a lack of intensity, but he seems to have figured out what's required.

Reply #545068 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

NZNBL Highlights this year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyQlSmyAgrQ

His 3 point shot has improved over the past couple of years. Think he is as good as you'll get for 10th man backing up Childress. Would rather take a chance on him instead of Hill or Muo.

Reply #545080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

26 next year, not exactly a kid.

Reply #545099 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah he is. Has only just started to tap the potential he showed on the U19 world stage a few years ago.

Reply #545100 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:34 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754