Mentor Simon Mitchell

Topic #37766 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance ! Is Ray Borner coaching at Ballarat ? with Rob Baker

Reply #545039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do any of these coaches have kids in these age groups vying for possible state team spots?

Reply #545053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are they thinking with Anstey? Wow

Reply #545095 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Darren Perry's boy will play 18s.

Reply #545104 | Report this post

Team Player  
Years ago

Simon Mitchell, did he play Juniors for Melbourne Tigers? Would be in his early 40's.

Reply #545108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes these coaches do. Also find many of those coaches do well at recruiting from these teams for there local sides as well.

Reply #545111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, they do a good job of offering state positions for players who come too their club teams.

Reply #545114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simon yes, current MU assistant

Reply #545118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Ray Borner coaching ?

Reply #545150 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I thought Ray was involved at Ballarat?

Reply #545173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can BV possibly appoint coaches with kids in that age group?

Reply #545472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculous!!! They must think this is domestic ball LOL

Vic Basketball seems to be lurching from failure to failure atm.

Reply #545475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to see that coaches in the National Program aren't good enough to coach Vic Country.

Reply #545499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodman !!!

Reply #545607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's who's missing goodman!!!

Reply #545643 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How could they leave out Goodman? He is the best coach in the country area!

Reply #545667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, this is not domestic basketball.

Where's the governance on this. No doubt some of the individuals are or were respected former players/coaches and individuals, but seriously to allow them to coach in a state program where their kid is involved is deplorable. It is just wrong on so many levels.

I find it amazing the number of former players that get involved either when their kid is in the mix for state duties and/or will be in a few years.

Come on BV, show some leadership on this. It is not a 'Boys' club.

In my opinion, one of the coach's kids didn't deserve a state spot the last two years & I wouldn't be alone in thinking that and now his dad is the head coach.

Come on we all see it for what it is and so do the players.

There has always been talk of State coaches picking 'Favourites' from their own club & over the last 8 or 9 years I've seen this, but this is on a whole new level.

Reply #545677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The above can be said for State Team Managers and BV employees that have kids in the mix for State Team selection.

In the corporate business world this is covered by governance and employees need to own up to a Conflict of Interest situation and recuse themselves.

It is just plain wrong.

Reply #545683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load of crap

Reply #545712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perry is arguably the most decorated and successful men's coach in the last 4 years in Melbourne who put their hand up. And his kid is a gun. He's also been involved in NITP for just as many years. A great selection as coach. So to answer your question on how they could appoint him... He applied

Reply #545736 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I concur, he has the credentials, and is a great choice. So why not give him the U16's and avoid the perception of conflict?

Giving him the U18's begs the question of whether he applied in order to Coach his kid. If so, poor call to allow him to do so. If not, then no problem with him having another age group.

Reply #545748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is ridiculous that he was appointed. By all reports he is a great bloke, and a really good coach, but that is irrelevant because there is a conflict of interest. If he wants to coach in the state system, that is GREAT, but he can coach 16s or 20s.

The SA 20s coach - probably the best coach in juniors SA - will undoubtably not be reappointed as his son is an U20 this year, and he will probably be in their best 3 players!

Reply #545769 | Report this post

Ariel78  
Years ago

I think it is such a shame that Basketball Victoria Country don't select their own coaching staff for their own teams.

Reply #545781 | Report this post

ICYMI  
Years ago

He has a younger son also that might be bottom age 16's if not 14's and last but not least contrary to belief you are harder on your own kid than others as a coach. If you are questioning his integrity over loyalty you need not worry. His kid has made the team the last 3 years so I doubt he will be a conflict but if there was anyone that would not select his own kid because he wasn't good enough he is the man. Perry will be a benefit to those men and that out weighs any conflict there might be.

Reply #545785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ICYMI, what you say is generally correct, that coaches are generally harder on their own kids, but that isn't the question here, the question is about the conflict at the selection table. He can't be harder on his kid if his kid isn't selected in the team. And the conflict clearly comes when he selects, just like it comes when one coach selects from within his own club.

Plenty of instances over the years of selections that are very questionable. Why put someone in that position in the first place? I don't blame the coach, I blame BV for making the appointment.

Reply #545791 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ICYMI, its just not that simple.

If the team performs poorly and he plays his own kid a lot, he gets criticized. If he underplays his kid and they perform poorly he gets criticized.

If the team has a great tournament, and his kid is the MVP, someone has a crack because another kid didn't get court time.

I don't think anyone is questioning his integrity at all. I don't think anyone thinks he is a poor choice as a State Coach generally. I think its fantastic a guy like this is putting up his hand to do this.

However, the coach should not have been put in this position.

Reply #545804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then he should not have applied .... Simple really , but DP will be just fine and he will cope with all the flack he knows he's bound to receive

Reply #545808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO's got it nailed, coach should not have applied, and BV should not have made the appointment. It's a train wreck looking for a date.

Reply #545820 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Goodman had a great country girls team at 18 nationals and got beaten in the semis I think it was or the quarters.

when they lost it was believed his comments were not worried about the team it was whether he would have a job next year.

Reply #545885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the Perry thing. It comes back to motivation for doing it. If he wants to coach a state team then that's great, coach a state team. If he wants to coach his kid's state team then no way should he be appointed.

Clearly the motivation here is that he wants to coach his kid's state team.

Has he coached a state team before? Why not? Why is he doing it just now that his kid in the age group? What's his motivation?

It really is a no brainer if he is wants to coach a state TEAM then give him another team or get him assisting a younger coach they're bringing through.

Reply #545890 | Report this post

Cali  
Years ago

So anon, seems like his concerns were well founded and it could be believed that he lacked support from above and was actually undermined.

Reply #545896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Perry is sick of sitting on the sidelines watching the Vics lose and he thinks he can do a better job with this group. Possibly not about coaching his own kid at all. He'd have watched this group grow up since u/12's, it's likely that he knows these kids better than anyone else, and that combined with his coaching ability makes him a solid choice. Here's hoping he puts the Vics back on top!

Reply #545902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodman is too ingrained in metro he's not a country coach regardless of where he is/was based that's the most likely thing

Reply #545903 | Report this post

shez  
Years ago

Goodman is a good bloke but his values dont mesh with that of bvc, nothing to with not being supported blah blah blah. Is a capable coach better suited for metro than country imho

Reply #545937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what's the deal with Trevor at Werribee? Was he stiff to be overlooked for the State Program?

Reply #545941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perry had applied in the past and was knocked back

Reply #545945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: U18 player.)

Reply #545969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't always measure a point guard by stats

Reply #545974 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Perry's boy plays Seabl and by passed Youth League. Must be pretty talented to achieve this?

Reply #546008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be #008. Wouldn't have anything to do with his dad being the coach

Reply #546009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spare a thought for the kid guys. No need to be analysing his game on a forum.

Reply #546013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a starter on the team but managed 11 ast.. Looks pretty expressive to me

Reply #546015 | Report this post

yahoonotserious  
Years ago

Trevor burnette wasnt stiff, he is simply not a person you want around your elite players and probably wont be touched by any club that has sight to see through his bs. Is a guy who is ultimately in this for his own personal gain and i think his actions at Werribee prove so.

Reply #546025 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Trevor Burnette may ruffle feathers but he can coach. Should be part of 16s state program again. Far better qualified and skilled than the appointed Ass Coaches imo.

Reply #546027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RE: #546025

Spot on... It's all about himself it is for Trevor...

Reply #546033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His game was only brought into the topic when it was stated that he was a "guarantee" to make the team regardless of the coach and he was a "gun". You are right though it shouldn't be analysed here, BUT it appears neither BV or his new coach are that concerned, as they both must have known this would come up once the appointment was announced!

Reply #546035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RE #546025

I struggle to comprehend why Trevor likes to claim that 'he made' several Aussie born players including one NBAer when they were in fact nurtured and developed well and truly before he step foot onto our shores... If he is supposedly a good Coach why would he not be still in the State program?

Reply #546058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one guaranteed he would make the team and their positive personal opinion about his intangibles are warranted. Anyone who watched at nationals the past two years would see his importance in both squads. Not everyone has to be kyrie Irving to be valuable to a team. And averaging 11 assists on what's considered a state all star team is a monumental feat especially in today's game.

Reply #546063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate he averaged 2.11 assists.

Get a clue.

Reply #546070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

902, the success of a state group has very little to do with the state coach. It is more about the work done at club level and overall strength of the age group. If DP thinks he can make a difference then he really has little clue. Vic need to get their High Performance program and club issues in order to develop the talent to win championships.

If he isn't there because of his son, then it is simple coach one of the other age groups on the boys or girls side of the program. If he won't do this, why?

Reply #546116 | Report this post

Sigh...  
Years ago

#116 If you think the coach has little to do with success of the team then it is you my friend that has little clue. What a stupid thing to say!

Reply #546139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've had kids play in State & National teams and IMHO coaches generally fall into two categories.

They can either:

1. make a difference & make the sum of the parts to the team better or;
2. they can crush player's instincts to the detriment of the team and make players play on fear.

Unfortunately, in my observations and experiences, most coaches fall into the 2nd category.

No coach would like to hear this, let alone admit it. My own kids have been champions under certain coaches, yet also rans and bench players under others.

It has been a frustrating experience.

Reply #546431 | Report this post

Sigh...  
Years ago

^^^^ Certainly agree with your categories of coaches. I think this supports my feelings in that coaches are certainly very relevant, this can be in a negative way, but a good coach can certainly make a big difference in a positive way.

Reply #546432 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Perry's son was in the last 36 or 24 (not sure which but think it might be 24) for Aus U17 national team. Clearly that program rates him as a player so maybe time to lay off. Has made bottom age 18 state selected by other coaches so is very likely to make it top age.

While the optics may not look good, if you know DP, he is an unbiased parent, an outstanding coach and should do well. Parents and players involved in the state program are very happy with the selection.

Reply #546436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#139 I wrote the above post. Can I ask are you a coach by any chance?

Reply #546442 | Report this post

Vic watcher  
Years ago

#116 you are embarrassing yourself with your comments. Coaches don't make a difference? You must be kidding.

Absolutely the club program's develop players through the years but put a group of talent together for a few months and get them to play together offensively and defensively as a unit, you reckon the kids work that out for themselves?

Reply #546443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who says the state coach has little impact has zero credibility.

Reply #546490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches in state programs really rate themselves. It is about the players and THEIR talent, not about YOUR x's and o's or genius subs! Why is it some coaches do so well one year then tank in other years? Why, in the past, did so many poor Vic coaches do well with amazingly talented teams? The Vic robot model created prima donna coaches where they thought their robotic ways were bringing success. It was talent that bought success, all the talent did was encourage poor development and poor junior coaching.

Don't rate your x's and o's above player and talent development. THAT my friends is where Vic programs are falling down now. It won't get better until the clubs there sort themselves out which they are slowly beginning to do so.

If DP wants to contribute he can contribute anywhere, but lets wait and see what happens with this group - I can tell you now, but lets just revisit this when it all fails - but then it will be the player's fault according to the pundits.

Reply #546499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unbelievable the a amount of crap dished up about former coaches Vic here and robotic ways. Anyone think the free flowing boomers style was very sexy last week ?

Walk in their shoes for a campaign and see how much support there is, how much you have to prepare players to play a week of tournament play all the while being critics by " Wanna be"s who have their heads up young players backsides fuelling dick head parents about how good their kids are and how the " Wanba be"s will get them a college gig .......

Throw out the balls, let the " Talent " play and you go coach it

Reply #546526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers offence.........it's such a winning offence lol, when the boomers start bringing home medals then you can talk about how good their offence is

Reply #546842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #526 I hope you aren't a coach cause you can't string 3 words together. Any chance we could see a translation into English?

What does 'Wanba be"s' actually mean?

Reply #546844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As for Trevor brunette. He is doing to Dandenong what he did at Werribee. He has taken three girls that pay him to train them into 1st teams 2 bottom age. How many kids will he get in to teams cause he trains them. State team last year a prime example.

Reply #554892 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I don't believe he is a State Coach or selector so perhaps not the influence he had to manipulate in prior years

Reply #554907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State Tryouts seem to be late this year?

Reply #554908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now I know why kids moved from Werribee to Dandenong. I knew there must be an agenda.

Reply #554909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dandenongs loss

Reply #555001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trevor has no credibility. He was an assistant in USA and has won nothing here. And now sacked from Werribee and BV. He will blame but take no responsibility

Reply #555002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I don't like a guy being spoken about on this forum but I think names should be left out if negative. He has a family and nothing to be gained from venting here

Reply #555044 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Don't know the guy that well personally, but I do know he had a tough job at Werribee, just like all DOC's, it is a thankless job at times and you never make everybody happy no matter how hard you work at it.

To slur someone on here like that anon #002 is showing poor form and is likely to be achieving nothing...

Reply #555048 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:17 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754