Train
Years ago

Perth Wildcats secure Jawai

Looks like this is a done deal now according to Boti " ADELAIDE 36ers' ambitious bid to recruit superstar centre Nathan Jawai has been thwarted, with NBL arch rival Perth Wildcats securing his signature.

The decision last week by guard High Greenwood to quit the Wildcats one month into a three-year contract, in an effort to pursue an AFL career — reportedly with Adelaide — allegedly left the NBL powerbrokers with sufficient salary and player points cap space to nab Jawai"

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-beat-adelaide-36ers-to-signature-of-boomers-centre-nathan-jawai/story-fndkzqrr-1227495258756

Topic #37784 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

"NBL general manager Jeremy Loeliger said Perth had re-rated several players under the player points system, using "loyalty" benefits, to create space for Jawai."

Curious to know who was re rated and how many points are left in the bank.

Reply #545338 | Report this post

High Greenwood  
Years ago

"High Greenwood"

LOL. This is hilarious. Anyone else find it funny?

Reply #545339 | Report this post

LUL!

Reply #545340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also curious to find out how many points Perth have remaining to use on final spot

Reply #545342 | Report this post

I don't understand what the GM is on about. How can the Cats re-rate any player using loyalty benefits to fit Jawai in? He's either been misquoted or he doesn't understand how the system works.

Reply #545343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Jawai is a 9 then wouldn't they have 2 points remaining

Reply #545344 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Train - from the player ratigns for the season and the loyalty discounts, I reckon Perth are on 69 points with Jawai:

Beal 10
Knight 8
Martin 8
Jervis 8
Redhage 6
Wagstaff 6
Hire 4
Prather 10
Jawai 9

Loyalty discounts apply to Knight (-2), Martin (-2), Redhage (-4), Wagstaff (-2) and Hire (-2).

They may actually have a lower points total. I've assumed the multi-year contract ratings apply to Redhage (current rating is 8 but his multi-year contract rates him a 10) and Martin (current rating is 8 but his multi-year contract rates him a 10).

If Wildcats argue the multi-year ratings shoudl not be applied for those 2 players and they won, they'd be on 65 points.

This is all based on the ratings published a couple of months ago. As best I can tell, that list has been taken off the new NBL site.

Reply #545347 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

The last line of the article is interesting.

"The 36ers, meanwhile, have finalised their roster, former Melbourne United forward Lucas Walker arriving this week."

Have they confirmed a second import yet? I haven't seen one confirmed yet.

Reply #545349 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea saw that too.

Didnt someone mention Ebi Ere or someone who could have been him was at the trial v norwood watching, maybe he has arrived in Adelaide but not been announced for some reason.

Any reason why the 2nd import hasnt been confirmed/announced, even Boty hasnt dropped it on his blog like he does for many other teams a few weeks before its announced.

Reply #545350 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

"208cm Cairns-born colossus" Boti is a retard, Jawai was born in Sydney and moved to Cairns as a youth to attend high school.

Reply #545351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez they got rid of the loyalty points for the exact reason we know see.

Reply #545352 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti explaining the points changes that Perth made:

Damo was released, then re-signed for a lower rating, couple of others NBL didn't name, also rated lower for loyalty. #loopholes

Reply #545353 | Report this post

What reason is that? I thought they got rid of them last time because they made them transferable.

Reply #545354 | Report this post

Still doesn't explain things though Isaac. Did the league decide to give three points discount to some Perth players now?

Reply #545357 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Haven't seen Ebi confirmed anywhere as a signing. Last I saw they were still looking at a couple of options.

If you drop a line that matter of factly to end an article surely you mention who they finished off their roster with.

Reply #545358 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Unless he still can't confirm who it is.

Reply #545360 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Redhage and Martin were both rated lower than when they originally signed their contract. For example, Martin was a 10 when he signed and an 8 this year. The player keeps it rating that it had when they signed that contract for the duration of the contract. By releasing Martin and re signing him as an 8 it frees up 2 points. The same would of been done for Redhage I imagine.

Personally I think the cap should and will go after this season. By the time you work these loop holes, loyalty discounts and asking for players to be re rated it just l loses its purpose.

Reply #545361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Train.

It's like good accountants finding ways to pay less tax for big companies!!

The small organisations get shafted...

Reply #545362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope that if Damo was released every other club had a chance to hire him. Otherwise the LK group are now running the same ship that BA did.

That's simply another way of cheating.

Reply #545363 | Report this post

This is the league that everyone wanted...

Reply #545365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loopholes? There aren't any if their existing contracts are enforced. The NBL has simply changed the playing field yet again.

Reply #545366 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It's a clever move but I don't think they have broken any "rules". There nothing to stop a team tearing up a contract and resigning them. Pretty sure other teams would have done something similar with the salary cap if they needed to squeeze some one under.

The players are rated as they would of been if they signed this year. But yeah it shows how pointless the points cap is.

Reply #545367 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

How about we just get rid of the points cap. The bigger question is how will the wildcats line up now will Knight play the 4? then where does that leave Redhage and Wagstaff

Reply #545369 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

"208cm Cairns-born colossus" Boti is a retard, Jawai was born in Sydney and moved to Cairns as a youth to attend high school.

He grew up in Bamaga and only moved to Cairns to play state league basketball in the early 2000s when he was in his teens. Initially scouted as an Aussie Rules prospect.

Reply #545370 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Redhage, Martin and Hire were all rated lower for the 15/16 season then they were we hen they signed their contracts.
Martin was 10 and is now 8 (-2 loyalty)
Redhage was 10 and now 8 (-4 loyalty)
Hire was 7 and now 6 (-2 loyalty)

If all 3 of those players were released and resigned this year it would free up 5 extra points, if Jawai was rated 9 then they would have 7 points left ( they had 11 originally when Greenwood split)

Lol at Redhage being at 4 points !!!!

Reply #545371 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

It's going to be interesting to see how DJ, Petrie and Walker deal with Knight, Jawai and Jervis.
That's an awful lot of height and size.

Reply #545372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By all means tear up a contract. That player is then a free agent and should be available to every club in the NBL. I bet that didn't happen. That's cheating in my book.
A club may have plenty of points and more money. Yet don't have the opportunity to recruit Damo in this case. That's cheating.

Reply #545373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A player can be released and then sign a new contract. It's not cheating it's available to all clubs and most clubs do it and have done it.
They don't need to wait and tell all other clubs.
It's a way around the rule and all clubs have done it. It's smart

Reply #545374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Damo wanted to play for another team I'm sure he would have pursued those opportunities. That said, the points system is a joke. But these 'loopholes' are there for any team to exploit, not just Perth

Reply #545375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 'loopholes' are only an issue now because Boti has a problem with Perth doing it. Look at last season when the breakers signed tai Wesley there was no problem but when Perth signed earnest ross they are cheats

Reply #545376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti has written an explanation which doesn't make sense but because he can use it to point the finger at Perth, he'll run with it. That's poor journalism.

Reply #545379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess this means perth only have room for two cheap young first season rookies to fill the backup 1 and 2 spots? I personally think this is a bad move for perth. I think that finals record streak is in serious danger now seriously can't see them finish above Illawarra, Sydney, New Zealand, cairns or United especially with Gleeson at the helm so Devo

Reply #545380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With jawai signed it leaves room for only one backup guard. So I'd imagine we'll see Casey Prather play the 2 more often with greg hire playing backup 3 minutes. Don't know how redhage and wagstaff's minutes are going to be split though

Reply #545381 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I think Boti has either worded the article badly or plain got it wrong when referring to the loyalty bonuses. The loyalty bonus has no bearing if a player is in an existing contract or not . It's automatically applied regardless. The advantage comes from them beibg rated lowere this season due to last seasons performance.

Reply #545383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cats don't even need to rerate anyone to fit Jawai in.

Reply #545386 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

There should be plenty of quality guards they can get with 7 points available

Reply #545388 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

They were looking at Jarrod Kenny. Not sure what his rating is

Reply #545391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only reason to re-rate is to get a better combo guard as they had enough for Nate already

Reply #545394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be happy with Jarrod Kenny joining the wildcats.

Reply #545395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai + Kenny would be a good save from Greenwood + Burdon.

Any word on Kenny's interest?

Reply #545398 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I don't think that any tearing up on contracts is required.

The loyalty discounts kick in even mid contract.

Reply #545405 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Pathetic reporting by Boti(love the guy) but puts he's mates, Joey and others before actually reporting facts. Prime example Joey tells Boti in the recent article that his team is complete, but did Boti report who the last import was for Adelaide even though we all new for weeks now that it's Ere. Boti knew longer than all of us but when his mate asked him not to reports it, that's just pathetic journalism!

Reply #545406 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"A player can be released and then sign a new contract. It's not cheating it's available to all clubs and most clubs do it and have done it."

This loophole was closed last decade after Melbourne used it, but sadly it seems to have been opened up again. Time to get rid of the points system if this is how it's going to operate, it's just a sham now.

Reply #545407 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

The real question is will Redhage, Wagstaff and Hire induce Jawai to become a flopper and whiner or will he generate some spine into their backs ?

Reply #545412 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

This loophole was closed last decade after Melbourne used it, but sadly it seems to have been opened up again. Time to get rid of the points system if this is how it's going to operate, it's just a sham now.
It was only in the last year or so that they changed it so ratings stuck for the duration of a contract, rather than the lower of the two possible ratings being used. They simply shouldn't have changed that rule in the first place.

Reply #545413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very Old, you should change your name to Very Funny because... na, that wasn't the slightest bit funny.

Reply #545414 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Gutted Adelaide couldn't land him, but it makes me feel better that they attempted to. Would rather them try and fail then be sitting on their hands. Win or lose I'm a 36ers fan just like to be able to get behind the players

Reply #545415 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

According to Jawai he hasn't signed anywhere

Reply #545416 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Hopefully Boti is wrong then and he comes to SA.

Reply #545418 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

A "Boti knew longer than all of us but when his mate asked him not to reports it, that's just pathetic journalism!"

How is that bad journalism? Why would Wright tell Boti anything in the future if Boti went and wrote that the Sixers are signing Ere when Wright and the Sixers asked him not too? When the Sixers are ready AND it is official, then he will report on it.

Reply #545419 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The kiwi commentators in the nz game referred to Jawai as a Torres strait islander, but Aussie commentators refer to him as 'indigenous'. Interesting.

Reply #545422 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

By all means tear up a contract. That player is then a free agent and should be available to every club in the NBL. I bet that didn't happen. That's cheating in my book.
The player doesn't have to notify other clubs of his free agency. If he'd signed a contract, it's because he wants to be there. If he cut the contract and re-signed, why would he care about moving to another team? He's doing that to improve his own roster and his chances of success.

It's a silly loophole that's been used in various places. That rating should last for the duration of a contract with that club, whether you're cut or not. If you move teams, the rating changes, otherwise it stays.

A, you completely fail to understand the industry. If Boti respects anything said to him off the record, he retains that source. If he burns them, he won't get the access again. If he hears the information from a solid source elsewhere, he might write it up, but it's possible he hasn't or has another arrangement. It's entertainment journalism. I'm not sure that public interest on one non-story* really trumps his ability to keep reporting for even just the rest of this season at a minimum.

* Does it really matter if someone finds out the second import today or when the 36ers announce it? It's akin to gossip. We're not talking about whistleblowers and embezzlement of public funds.

Reply #545424 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The kiwi commentators in the nz game referred to Jawai as a Torres strait islander, but Aussie commentators refer to him as 'indigenous'. Interesting.
Hardly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Australians
Indigenous Australians are members of groups that existed in Australia and surrounding islands prior to European colonisation. The phrase is therefore somewhat broad in scope, including such ethnically diverse groups as Tiwi people, Noongar people, and Torres Strait Islanders

Reply #545425 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

All this aside , how good is it that Jawai is back in the NBL. Just about every team is loaded this year.

Reply #545429 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

He hasn't signed anywhere apparently. Still looking at options and ADL in the mix

Reply #545430 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Isaac, I don't care who the 36ers sign or who have signed, I believe Boti has double standards when it comes to his reporting/journalism and Blogging and you can't deny he doesn't, it's fine for him to speculate on every other club but not his beloved 36ers, sources or no sources. Other than that, like I mentioned earlier I think Boti is great and the guys fantastic for basketball.

Reply #545431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey Wright already said in the article the 36ers missed out on Jawai.

A,

Whether you like it or not Boti's first allegiance is to himself i.e. keeping his job. If he sold out every off the record source no one would tell him anything and he would be out of a job.

Of course if the 36ers tell him not to report on something until it becomes official he will abide as he works for an Adelaide newspaper not a Melbourne one or Perth one etc.

Reply #545433 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A, of course his relationship with his hometown club is going to be different. Different access (a lot more face to face encounters, spectating in person, etc), different history, and the core audience for his employer.

And why shouldn't he have bias as an Adelaide-based reporter primarily covering Adelaide basketball? His longevity in the industry suggests he's doing something right. I imagine I'm not the only person who visits Adelaide Now solely for his basketball news, or used to track down the Thursday paper back in the day for his bigger column, etc. I don't think a robotic voice would have become synonymous with Adelaide basketball.

And are there sports reporters without bias? Covering AFL in Adelaide - I doubt it. Further afield, Woj is the only one who springs to mind from my limited reading.

Someone like Bill Simmons is open about, and more entertaining as a result of, his biases. How many of his stories include shared rants with his dad about the Celtics or whoever they go on about.

Reply #545436 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Jawai has officially signed the dotted line. The contract is signed - it is done.

Adelaide's second import will be announced September 1.

Reply #545440 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Well said Isaac, I never looked at it this way but Boti is my juicy bit of gossip for the day lol.

The true test of the points system is whether or not Brisbane and hopefully Tasmania go at recruiting talent next season and how they compete with existing teams and their loyalty discounts... If that makes any sense

I can't wait to see Jawai in a Wildcats Jersey and Jervis an 8?

I love Tommy's game when he is agressive but he will rely on injuries to get to play 1/4 of a game this upcoming season... He's good but he isn't an 8 and it's good to see that he hasn't been lost to the league through his high rating such as others have in the past

Reply #545443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan born in Sydney hey, got to love the not so bright section of this forum.....

Reply #545453 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Great to see Jawai back in the NBL, but I don't know if it's the best fit... If Prather isn't a shooter, is anyone not going to play zone against Perth?

Reply #545455 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Proud. "such as others have in the past"

Who?

Reply #545456 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Why Sep 1st?

Reply #545465 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Tom

I have no inside line on it whatsoever, but it would not be a long bow to draw to suggest that he is still under contract with Puerto Rican team until 31 August 2015 and hasn't got (or can't get) a FIBA clearance until the contract expires.

If that is the case, no team can sign or use him until that occurs.

That is a wild hypothetical from long distance, but it explains the public (and private) attitude not to confirm anything until 1 September.

There could be another reason, but seriously, what does it matter? It should be enough that there is a reason, and there have been more than enough informal insider leaks on this site (which is the normal way of disseminating information your are not yet allowed to disseminate!)

Reply #545473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if the Adelaide 36ers have missed out on Jawai, the Adelaide Crows are still in the running...

Reply #545523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Koberulz for your informative posts Lmfao

Reply #545525 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great to have Nate back, it's fantastic to see quality players coming back here to better their games. They know our teams have a level of care to make them better they will rarely get in Europe.

I am fascinated to see how Perth make this roster work, and who they get in as the back-up PG. I think they're going to need Knight, Wagstaff and Redhage shooting the ball well this season.

Reply #545530 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Can't wait to see Nate trying to defend DJ and/or DJ trying to defend Nate.

Nate's return will certainly create interesting miss matches at both ends of the court when he encounters some of the more mobile 5's in the NBL.

This year though every team bar Adelaide and to a lesser extent Cairns (where Burston and Trigger share the minutes)now have a more traditional close to the basket big man as their main option.

Reply #545537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep matty knight should focus on his jumpshot for the rest of the pre season. He needs to be knocking down the mid to long range shot so he can share the floor with nate effectively

Reply #545546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well on the plus side the last time Matt Knight started at PF in this league was 2009 and he was runner up MVP to Penney by 2 votes.

Reply #545556 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"This year though every team bar Adelaide and to a lesser extent Cairns (where Burston and Trigger share the minutes)now have a more traditional close to the basket big man as their main option."

Melbourne will be running Ibekwe and Kickert, who are both "non-traditional" centres, but you're right, there's a real mix of styles this season from first option to third:

Knight/Jawai/Jervis
Johnson/Hodgson/Petrie
Ibekwe/Kickert/Patton
Jackson/Pledger/Wesley
Ogilvy/Davidson/Forman
Khazzouh/Brandt/Garlepp
Schenscher/Kay/Conklin
Burston/Tragardh/Loughton

I'm pretty sure there has never been this much talent at C in the NBL before.

Reply #545560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember what happened the last time a Gleeson coached club went with a really unbalanced (top-heavy) playing list. It would have been a nice milestone for the wildcats finals streak to hit 30 but I predict it won't.
Fans can cope with losing if the basketball is entertaining. Fans can cope with boring basketball if the team is winning. But fans won't put up with ugly basketball if the team is losing and I think that is what Perth will be dishing up this season. That's even before the injuries come, and they will definitely come when your team is that old.

Reply #545589 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Redhage and Knight would be my main injury concerns on that team, especially Knight with his concussion based stuff, you can't take that stuff lightly. Look forward to seeing Jawai play, will actually watch Cats games now, if they are even available too us on tv or net.

Such an odd week in WA, bounced back a little too quickly imo wonder if there was more behind the scenes stuff here, and it didn't play out the way the club would have you think.

Reply #545634 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I think Jawai would have been worth it had the Greenwood situation not occurred.
Now though, I'm not so sure. Ploughing heavy points and dollars into the paint seems foolish now that the backcourt is so weak. To me it is a luxury we can no longer afford. (Happy to be proven wrong of course)
Hope the team has been working hard on their jump shots!

Reply #545640 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

DD. After Greenwood left the problem was that even if Perth wanted to plough the money and/or points that they have used on Nate into the backcourt there was nobody available to spend that resource on.

Reply #545646 | Report this post

gaikokujin  
Years ago

I love it!

Wollongong assemble a superstar team, Sydney have possibly the best side ever assembled in the NBL, and the Melbourne United owner just bought the league, and the Perth Wildcat are cheats because they read the rulebook?

If you're angry about the loyalty points system, perhaps your club should have been loyal to its players too?

Even with Jawaii the cats will struggle for the top 4. The last spot is going to be crucial, they need a combo guard who can both play the point and prove a threat outside when Beal subs out. I cant think of any Australians left that fit that mould.

Reply #545647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with ftsos, cats had to this move, it will either pay off handsomely or result in missing of finals but that likely would've happened anyway if they responded by replacing greenwood with your run of the mill bench guy. At least this way there is upside that team is so dominant in paint it compensates for lack of backcourt depth

Reply #545658 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Prather is the key now. If he can play some minutes as a combo he can help cover the backcourt deficiencies.

My guess is that if the Cats were in this position prior to signing their second import they would have selected a player with a different skill set to that which Prather appears to have.

Knight played a lot at the 4 with the Spirit because they had Khazzouh at the 5 from memory did he not. They sort of rotated through the 4/5 with Gruber.

DD played the 3 last season so I see no reason why Wagstaff who probably handles the ball as well as DD and certainly shoots it better should not be able to play big minutes there.

Reply #545663 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Why do people always accuse Perth of cheating for following the rules?
To be honest, its a rather stupid rule that says Player X is an 8, but because he signed last year he has to be a 10.
Renegotiating a contract is a no-brainer. The downside is that a player may not WANT to renegotiate, or may ask for more money, giving the club other problems.

So the Cats would have had 11 points, now they have upto 15.
Assuming that sign Nate (and they have NOT confirmed it yet) that would still leave them 6 points.
Nate doesn't solve the problem of "High" leaving, but I don't think they are any worse off. They're still scraping the barrels looking for a guard. If there as a 9 point guard out there, they would have snaffled him already.

As mentioned Prather remains the key, but its also a lot easier to replace an import.

Reply #545680 | Report this post

A Ness  
Years ago

Perth for the spoon

Reply #545690 | Report this post

P Ness  
Years ago

Dont be silly.

Reply #545692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if you can cut a player and resign them at any time with lower points, the points cap is a joke as is any contract now. The new NBL has just undone what the old NBL did. Loyalty points included. They got rid of them for a reason and we can now clearly see why.
The CLB is looking a far better option already. No points cap, no salary cap and no import limits. Bring it on. Get rid of the stupid scoring system and in 12 weeks it's all over with a new fan base.

Reply #545693 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The CLB is looking a far better option already. No points cap, no salary cap and no import limits.
No teams, no players... Talk is cheap. Let's do the comparison when they've actually done something real.

Reply #545696 | Report this post

I agree that this cut and re-sign business is nonsense but I don't see how that translates to a victory for CLB?

Reply #545702 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's got nothing to do with "cutting," its a contract issue. Nor is it nonsense.
It would be nonsense if you COULDN'T
The NBL rates your players at "X" but hey you can't actually have those ratings because they signed more than a one year contract?
So every other team can spend 70 points on their squad, but you can only spend 66.

The existing contract rule, as it applies to INCREASES, is there to limit the immediate penalty for improvement. I get that imposing the reciprocal might be seen as balanced, but penalising clubs and players for longer contracts would be silly.
It's also arbitrary. If your contract expiry coincides then no problem, but if not its tough luck???

The points system is supposed to impose "equality" not arbitrarially penalise teams just because some people don't like them.

At the moment Perth have 8 players collectively rated at 55 points, yet people think allowing them to use those other 15 points somehow makes the system a joke?

Reply #545738 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

Sign a ten point player and sit them on the bench for a season

They are then rated 5 at seasons end as they have little to no stats

Sack and re-sign player to long term deal at 5 points

It has happened in the past and shouldn't be allowed

Reply #545747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the footy show in Vic last Thursday one of the commentators thereand I cant remember who is was mentioned 'to expect to see Collingwood involved in 2017' So it will either be CLB or a 2nd Melb team.
The CLB are working quietly in the background with EOI's already in place.

Reply #545754 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Yolo. Enlighten us on who the 10 pt player/s are who were deliberately sat on the bench in the past to reduce their points for the following season.

Reply #545755 | Report this post

Dazz, the NONSENSE is that the rules say that your rating is yours for the duration of the CONTRACT, but they then allow players to be cut and re-signed for the LOWER rating. Why bother having a RULE in the first place which also has a loophole attached that says you can manipulate it, providing you waste time pretending to cut someone? Just say that your rating each season is what counts, not this "rating for the duration of the contract" rule as it stands.

Reply #545789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the bitter tone of Boti's blog article about the Cats signing Jawai. His butthurt was palpable, and his tears tasted delicious.
I also loved how he called into question the speed of the signing following Greenwood's departure as if there was something sinister at play, but then ruined his own pot shot at the end of the blog when he couldn't help talking up the way he had scooped the Jawai news back on August 10.

Reply #545790 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think he was deliberately pointing out how long this has been in the making. His comment about it happening so quickly was squarely tongue in cheek.

Agree Chalmers, it should be one way or the other, that is rating changes each year regardless of contract status, or you can't cut and re-sign.

It's sad all the changes made to ensure the points system worked have now been undone with owners back in charge. The arms race is well and truly underway again, let's just hope the league can generate the commercial deals to survive it.

Reply #545793 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Or making it clear you get the benefit of signing a person at the lower rating for the duration of their contract, but are not held to higher ratings that subsequently drop.

That means players who go to Europe, end up a 9, don't get stuck at that rating for the duration of their contracts even if they are, in reality, only a 7.

I am coming around to the view that the whole points system is a nonsense. I do believe it served a purpose once upon a time, but has been tinkered with and manipulated so many times that it is merely a sham. You can still only put 5 players on court at once, that is pretty much all that should matter.

Reply #545794 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yeah I think the intent of the rule was to avoid clubs being caught out by having players bumped up and suddenly being unable to field the same team this season as they did last season, but the execution of that has been a fail.
I agree with XY, that decreases should just take effect automatically while increases should come into effect at re-signing time.

Reply #545807 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's how it used to work. They changed it two years ago. Given that's also how it should work, I find it difficult to get too upset about teams using this loophole.

Reply #545877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Credit to the wildcats for having the intelligence to use the loopholes

Reply #545880 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I agree XY, and that's effectively how the Cats have used it.

I note that there is STIL nothing official on the subject of this thread.

Reply #545900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like seeing talent on the floor...

I'm guessing at least 4 teams are over the cap this year, so with a rich guy putting his money up for a few years I'm all for an arms race.

The points system has always been a joke and I'm glad teams exploit it anyway they can.

Having another boomer in the league is a great thing and I'm glad Perth could get the job done.

Reply #545901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would boti be bitter about Perth signing jawai? He is an unbiased writer

Reply #545920 | Report this post

Hahahahhahahahaha what?

Reply #545922 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Is it opposite day or something ?

Reply #545925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add the * to the Wildcats right now.

Reply #545936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats and Breakers have * every season. Hawks * this season also.

Reply #545938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half the teams have a * next to them for this season.

Reply #545947 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Townsville C***s

Reply #545952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

H*h*h*h*h*h*h*

Reply #545955 | Report this post

Wildcats officially announce Jawai signing.

Reply #546563 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754