Change again
Years ago

New NBL referee boss?

According to Boti, he has written a blog that the Nbl have changed referee boss & sacked Mal Cooper, Hunt & Mildenhall
I wonder why?
It's a person from Fiba in Sydney so maybe to line up with fiba rules?

What rule changes would be good for the Nbl?

I think the circle should be like the NBA
No Defense at all in that area

Topic #37813 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sacking refs can't be about rule changes, I am sure those refs could handle different rules and interpretations.

Sacking would have to relate to inadequate performance, or a refusal to apply new rules or interpretations (I'd be shocked at the latter).

Reply #546141 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think the circle should be like the NBA
No Defense at all in that area
Why is everyone so keen on banning defense?

Reply #546155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So games actually get scores that are respectable.

Offence brings in fans. NBL has basically zero fans.

Seems like a smart idea to make it easier to score

Reply #546160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They weren't sacked. The job was advertised and the ol skool boys dint get the job.

Reply #546161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new boss has been an NBL referees evaluator for the past 10 years in Sydney. He was appointed to the FIBA Oceania referee superviser role 12 months ago.

To the uneducated above there have not been referee sackings but at change in management team. Cooper hasnt refd for 15 years and Mildenhall and Hunt for approx 3 and 4 respectively.

Reply #546174 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just a quick memo, most seasons the NBL has a higher scoring rate than the NBA.

Re this appointment, Cooper (the others were assisting) did a very good job in his first season but last year the refereeing was very inconsistent and overall the games weren't nearly as attractive as the year before.

I would have liked to have seen Mildenhall in charge, but I'm prepared to give this guy a chance.

Reply #546180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2012-13 average NBL score 152 points combined a game
2012-13 average NBA score for the two lowest scoring teams 186 points combined a game

No one cares about scoring rates. They care about scoring. Make it 12 minutes or reduce defence so we see some big scores.

Reply #546197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh refs supervisors. Love to hate them. Generally they go by the book and teach those coming up in the ranks to be totally anal about what the rules are and how they need to be enforced.
Many have little current experience, let alone at elite level, nor do they have good communication skills.
This appointment will be a very interesting chapter of the NBL to watch.
Mal and co were always accessible and Paul it's far more about points scoring. If any team plays well who cares what the points are. Never heard so much rubbish. So you want the refs to call more fouls? What is the comparative in regard to fouls?
It sounds like a nerd in charge already to me.
Let's hope that they are publicly accessible and accountable. Lets hope like the old guys you can talk to them on FB ;)

Reply #546207 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hope it is not Bruce Keirs.omg if it is.

Reply #547073 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Maybe Alby Joseph's?

Reply #547076 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"No one cares about scoring rates. They care about scoring. Make it 12 minutes or reduce defence so we see some big scores."

Actually they do, because 170 points in 40 minutes is generally more offensive action that 180 points in 48 minutes. And as I said, most years there are more points per minute in qt he NBL than in the NBA, and up until a few years ago there were more points, full stop, in the NBL most years.

Reply #547084 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754