NZB - $3.6
Syd - $4
Perth - $4.3
Melb - $6
Cairns- $6.5
Illawarra - $9
36ers - $10
Tville - $26

Pretty even spread which backs up most people thinking its likely to be very open championship. and not too far away. Dangerous to say given recent records but I think both NZB and Perth a little short. Illawarra and Adelaide prob should be closer to cairns and Melbourne .

Topic #37855 | Report this topic

dave  
Years ago

9 dollars for the Hawks is great value.Also is this the firs time since 2010 the Cats aren't in the top two bookies odds?. It seems every year they are either one or two in the market.

Reply #547198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Odds of the Crocs winning the title = $26
Odds of the Crocs being around next season = $5
Hope the new Brisbane team is ready to go

Reply #547200 | Report this post

LHS  
Years ago

Hawks worth a flutter at $9 I reckon. If anyone can make it happen Bevo can.

Reply #547201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra deserve to be with the top 3 imo

Reply #547213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Odds of the Crocs winning the title = $26
Odds of the Crocs being around next season = $5
Hope the new Brisbane team is ready to go"

So you're saying they're close to a sure thing for next season? COOL!

Reply #547224 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Illawarra were $15 a little while ago so I had a flutter on them and United at $6, figuring they were the two value bets.

Even at $9 Illawarra are still good value imo.

Reply #547225 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NZB - $3.6
Syd - $4
Perth - $4.3
Melb - $6
Cairns- $6.5
Illawarra - $9
36ers - $10
Tville - $26
NZB about right. Sydney, Perth, Melbourne and Cairns a bit too short. I think Perth should be alright, but not at NZB level, and Kings are quite unproven. 36ers should be a touch longer. Hawks in to $6 IMO - rejigged roster, but solid coach and team-first import.

I'd keep question marks over Sydney and Melbourne until we're a few games into the season. Both should be interesting though.

Reply #547232 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

agree Isaac, Sydney and Melbourne have decent players it's just a matter of how they gel.

Reply #547239 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

putting question marks over Sydney and Melbourne, but not illawarra? Really I don't think they've done much more

Reply #547248 | Report this post

LV, you've made a few comments about the Cats risk of having little backcourt depth yet no mention of the Hawks having Demos and White as their back-ups.

Reply #547252 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Illawarra's the only one that stands out as obvious value to me, and Perth the only one that stands out as poor value. 36ers might be a touch too short at $10 too- should be $12 or $15.

The rest seem about right.

We’ll know so much more once we see all the new imports and new players. For United, I can’t wait to get a look at Holt. And Majok will be important too- he’ll need to play 4, but all the reports I read called him a Centre. Makes me wonder if, like Perth, we have 3 of them....

Reply #547253 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yes Chalmers you're right, an injury to Martin has potential to be catastrophic for the Hawks. He’s the only true point guard on their roster.

The difference is, in this discussion anyway, that Perth are right up there with the favourites while Illawarra is rated behind the pack.

Reply #547269 | Report this post

Any injury to any starting player on any team has the potential to be catastrophic. The league is close enough as it is, and the small salary cap plus the points cap can be restrictive for making mid-season replacements.

My point is though, the assessments and what-ifs you are making to one team can be applied to everyone else, but you aren't so I think your critical thinking is based on what you hope happens.

Reply #547271 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

All teams might have question marks and weaknesses, but that doesn't mean all question marks and weaknesses are equal.

Reply #547292 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Also, take Alex Loughton out of Cairns and they've still got Wortho, Tragardh and Burston. Will Loughton start, or Wortho? Who knows.

Reply #547294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight and Martin are both injury prone so there chances of more injuries this season are higher than most players

Reply #547295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These odds are the bookmakers basically saying "we don't know".

I don't like making a futures bet if there is a decent chance the team I back won't make the playoffs, and that could happen with every team.

If Illawarra are a $15-$9 chance i'd probably just prefer to back them in the first few games if the bookmakers are going to under value them.

I assume they will be $3+ on the road v Cairns and same again on the road v Melbourne and underdogs at home v NZ.

If they cover the spread in each of those 3 games (1.9 * 3 = 6.859) you are already getting a decent return compared to the futures price.

Reply #547303 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

putting question marks over Sydney and Melbourne, but not illawarra? Really I don't think they've done much more
They've kept a solid core: Martin, Demos, Coenraad, Forman, Davidson.

They've added a strong centre in Ogilvy and great guard in Lisch who understands the NBL. Then they've added a veteran in Penney who's played everywhere and is going to keep defenders from sagging - again, he knows the NBL. He's not going to struggle to fit in. And then Ellis and White have played NBL before - they're not hapless rookies. They don't have a rookie coach (Melbourne), they don't have imports who've never played NBL (Sydney, Melbourne). Lisch is import impact with local understanding which I think is really valuable in this league. And they have an import spot spare which we've seen is valuable in the past.

If Martin is out, Lisch can play point. Demos and White can harass other guards - they have ample teammates to pass to. Almost every player on that team is going to rain threes, leaving Ogilvy wide open. I wasn't sure about Ogilvy at first, but he was very motivated and active against Cal. He'll get to the line a lot.

Hate to jinx, but Illawarra at that price reminds me of when I got the Dragons for $9 in their championship year. Elite coach, good locals plus imports still to sign at that point. At that price, you aren't assuming a championship, you're looking for value. Sporting Bet had them at $15 the other week - insane.

Reply #547304 | Report this post

"Also, take Alex Loughton out of Cairns and they've still got Wortho, Tragardh and Burston. Will Loughton start, or Wortho? Who knows."

And now you're using frontcourt depth to try and solidify a point about the Cats backcourt? If the Cats take out Redhage, they've still Knight, Wagstaff, Jervis and Jawai. What does that prove?

The point is (again) that by saying "the Cats are at risk because what happens if their plane crashes and they all die so therefore I really can't see how they will be favourites" can be applied to every team so you need to weigh up all the pros and cons, not apply a best case scenario to one while using a worst case scenario for another.

Reply #547306 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Chalmers.

You said "any injury to any starting player on any team has the potential to be catastrophic". I was merely using one example (of many) to counter that. Do you think Fearne would lose sleep over Loughton's absence (or Wortho) the way Gleeson would if Martin missed? Of course not.

Perth doesn't deserve to be $4.30 in my eyes. For several reasons, this being only one of them.

Reply #547308 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And again, you have not showed any inconsistency on my part. When comparing Perth and Illawarra I never said The Hawks depth wasn't a problem and Perths was, all I said was that Illawarra are value at $9 where as I wouldn't touch Perth at their odds.

Reply #547309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised Cairns have dropped so much; Minor Premiers by 2 games last year, only loss is Wilbekin but have replaced him with an import who is probably only slightly lower level in Starks - although Wilbekin was a rookie import whereas Starks has played a year in Italy which will be a good thing.
Replaced Maynard and Young with Worthington and Heuir which is a massive improvement, even just with Wortho.

Reply #547324 | Report this post

Gman  
Years ago

Illawarra have a well balanced roster, with an improved inside game, their main risk is Ogilvy with no one to cover his interior presence.
Melbourne might not have enough inside scoring and D, and Cairns look too heavy at forward /centre.
Hawks approach to build a roster that can score with ease gives them a great shot at taking on NZ and Perth. Sydney will improve but don't think they are $4 chance, Hawks chances at least as good as Kings.

Reply #547325 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hawks at $9 is awesome odds, even with an injury they have a import spot up there sleeve! Perth at $4.30 is cheeky, more like $8 but gamblers will play the odds of household names and think they are hedging bets. Hawks and even Kings for mine from a betting point of view.

Reply #547330 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Scarp kings didn't realize they were so short. Having said that if childress is fit and they start rolling that could be great value come 5 rounds in ahhh betting!

Reply #547337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nzb are too short. Have lost two important players in ibekwe and carter

Reply #547380 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:02 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754