Train
Years ago

Change to qualifying for FIBA World Cup

"AUSTRALIA now will not only have to win its way through Asia to qualify for FIBA's 2019 World Cup but will have to do it without its NBA contingent.

But no-one is too alarmed about the format change because it means many more meaningful games for the Boomers on home soil."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/boomers-tall-blacks-to-qualify-through-asia-for-future-fiba-world-cups-but-nba-stars-missing/story-fndkzqrr-1227509607402

Topic #37869 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

I like the idea of the Boomers playing more games to qualify. Shame we wont have most of our NBA players but it will be good to blood some new talent.

Greenwood may of jumped ship a bit too soon.

Reply #547526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about our cousins from across the ditch?

Reply #547533 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I take it your referring to New Zealand?

From the article: "Instead of the Boomers qualifying through the Oceania region - which basically comprises Australia and New Zealand battling it out for one available berth - they now will contest the 16-team Asian region, along with the Tall Blacks. Seven teams would qualify from Asia for the World Cup which will be played in China in 2019.

Reply #547535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good for the national program - the nbl needs to get its stuff together if it's going to become the feeder for this team for the future

Reply #547548 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

As long as there is big money in NBA and Europe then the NBL will never be a feeder league for the Boomers.

Reply #547549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Aussie college players be available?

Would love to see Isaac Humphries get a taste of Boomers action

Reply #547563 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

You know what, I like this news, because it finally gives the Aussies and Kiwis both a chance to qualify and to do so on their merits similar to the Soccer qualification process(in Australia's case at least)...

Reply #547609 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, this is good news for both Australia and New Zealand basketball.

Reply #547634 | Report this post

Frenchy91  
Years ago

With many New Zealand national team players playing for the Breakers, they will be ripped apart during the season. Big blow for them, Breakers will need to have depth.

Reply #547637 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Haven't read the details of the FIBA proposal but my observation that this is for the World Cup - what happens with Olympic qualification?

Reply #547644 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:00 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754