Luke
Years ago

Skill needed for Division 3 US College?

Hi Guys
Was wondering what you guys think the skill level that would be required to play div 3 us college ball
Representing your state in juniors?
Or being say a top scorer in the country premier league (NSW)
Thoughts?

Topic #37870 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

jump onto you tube and watch some videos of Div 3 schools.
Main difference is the overall size and level of athleticism across the team , drops away markedly between Div 1 to 2 and again to 3
If you played State you should probably be looking at Div 2 but who knows.
No athletic scholarships in Div 3 either.

Reply #547557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant get a scholarship in d3

Reply #547560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Div 3 don't offer scholarships but in many cases their fees are substantially cheaper than a d1/2 school. If a D2/NAIA/Juco was offering you partial you may find the d3 school cheaper in some cases still, even without a scholarship.

Reply #547587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some guys who aren't even getting minutes in Youth League are getting Div 2 scholarships now. Div 3 College isn't that great a standard

Reply #547591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a number of mid to low D1 conferences that are not as strong as the better D2 conferences.
The top D1 leagues are markedly better but after that it is not as simple as saying that D1 is better than D2.

Reply #547618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does the same apply for the girls? My daughter is state level, what should she be looking at if she wants to go to college?

Reply #547620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it is not the same. Girls College basketball is easier for Aussie girls.

Reply #547632 | Report this post

CollCon  
Years ago

I agree with anon above. I've know of half a dozen players who have recently set off for College across D1 and D2. It seems to me that there is more opportunity for girls than boys ie the girls seem to find it easier to play at a higher level. If your daughter is state level(with good academics and further potential) then she should have opportunities at D1 level and top end of D2.

Reply #547638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, thanks for the above did not realise the standard she is playing at was that high. She has lots more potential. If she wanted to pursue the college option, what is the best way of going about it?

Reply #547646 | Report this post

CollegeHooper  
Years ago

Div 3 is awful competition. Aim for D2.

Reply #547655 | Report this post

CollCon  
Years ago

Not an easy question to answer with so many factors to understand your daughters situation eg:
- why does she want to go - the basketball, the education, the experience???
- current academic performance
- what level can she play at
-what courses does she want to do
- is she eligible (academic and amateurism)
- what $ do u need to make it work
- what schools have a culture that would suit her

And depending where you are located what help is/isn't available to assist you with a fairly complex process. You can do it yourself but it is tricky and takes time if you want a good result. (Apologies to OP for taking this a bit off topic).

Reply #547658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very good players in d3, just not the depth. There was a d3 top level player who moved up to play for university of michigan last season.
3x NBA champion starting sf for lakers, Devean George, played d3 also.

Reply #547660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many thanks CollCon, and yes apologies to OP.
I understand there are many factors to consider. I believe her current academic performance would be good enough as she is a good student, and she can handle YL no problem. We are in Sydney, but just have no idea regarding the process. Should she seek out an agent if she wanted to consider college further? Just concerned she gets good unbiased advice...

Reply #547667 | Report this post

CollCon  
Years ago

D3 schools tend to be smaller, private universities that focus relatively more on the academics and less on the sport than the D2 and D1 colleges. Some of America's best universities (ie some of the best in the world) compete in D3 eg MIT and Caltech. D3 competition is also less intense than D2/D1, shorter season, local conferences, which may suit some players. For example, it may suit super smart players who want a degree from a top university and can use their basketball skills to get there. There is no athletic scholarship $ but many of these private colleges have academic merit funds that can help substantially.

Reply #547668 | Report this post

CollCon  
Years ago

Anon, my daughter went to D1 school on full ride track & field scholarship so I understand the process and the difficulty of getting good advice. I'd be happy to talk you briefly off-line if u wanted but not sure how to arrange that??? Or start a new thread on this topic?

Reply #547705 | Report this post

CollCon  
Years ago

Anon, my daughter went to D1 school on full ride track & field scholarship so I understand the process and the difficulty of getting good advice. I'd be happy to talk you briefly off-line if u wanted but not sure how to arrange that??? Or start a new thread on this topic?

Reply #547706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any Aussie kid who can make a decent state team should be capable of div 3 standard, the question is just how/why you would fund it when the basketball opportunity doesn't outpace anything available here.

If you're Sydney based, the US consulate should be able to give you some info about when you can do some of the standardised testing (like SATs) that colleges require, and maybe even some visa advice. You should NOT hire an 'agent' as few of these will provide unbiased advice and doing so may affect eligibility by way of undermining amateur status.

Reply #547707 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

Thanks for the offer CollCon, I am the anon above. Isaac are you able to provide email details?

Reply #547710 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Keep your options open and be realistic. State level representation is often somewhere between NAIA, JUCO, D2 and D1. Your academic standing will also play a role as to the options available.

Two articles worth reading.

Preparing Aussie kids for US college basketball

This one helps outline the practical steps and considerations for Aussies specifically, including links to helpful links.

NCAA Men: McKay one of six Aussies transferring

This one is about potential pitfalls, and while based on 6 men, easily translates to the women as well.

Reply #547741 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

Many thanks LC, much appreciated.

Reply #547753 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

LC, weren't there also some more late transfers from D1 to D2 at the end of this season, I seem to recall more than those mentioned in that article, maybe written in another article also...

Two words for you @Proud Dad - Due Diligence

Reply #547758 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

There were more that did so between that article and now.

Biyendolo landed at Southwest Baptist
Johnny Crnogorac - Southwest Tennessee
Sam Daly - Chaminade
Matt Hancock - West Alabama
Durrell McDonald - Mercyhurst
Geremy McKay - Eastern Washington
Cade Towers - Georgia Southwestern
Jack Purchase - Hawaii.

Deng Deng at Baylor is not eligible to play at Baylor this coming season but is able to have his scholarship honoured from a tuition perspective.

Reply #547816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your daughters already playing yah league and has been at state level( did she make a state team for NSW) then I am assuming she's at least 16, you need to ensure she has the right subjects required for college, and she will need to sit her SATs, to get the marks required. The subjects must be taken over a number of years with consistent grades to get into a div1 school in particular. But their are lots of opportunities, contact a reliable recruiting agent they might help

Reply #547833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your daughters already playing yah league and has been at state level( did she make a state team for NSW) then I am assuming she's at least 16, you need to ensure she has the right subjects required for college, and she will need to sit her SATs, to get the marks required. The subjects must be taken over a number of years with consistent grades to get into a div1 school in particular. But their are lots of opportunities, contact a reliable recruiting agent they might help

Reply #547834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just been through it with my boy. Can get very stressful, to be honest I am glad it's all settled now and fingers crossed it worked out well in the end. Definitely use a recruiting agent. Will cost but they will help to avoid the many pitfalls in the process. We used Randy Livingston at Livon and would recommend him in an instant but no doubt there are many other good ones others here could recommend.

Reply #547883 | Report this post

CSports  
Years ago

Www.collegesportshowtogetthere.com is an attempt to collate all things about trying to get your child to an American college. The site is in it's early days but/so feel free to contribute your experiences!

Reply #548157 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:53 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754