Isaac
Years ago

Tertzakian pushing for an NBL team in Darwin

DARWIN basketball boss Joe Tertzakian wants a National Basketball League team based out of the Top End and says it could happen inside three years.

It is not the first time the topic of a Darwin NBL side has been raised, but Tertzakian, Darwin Basketball Association's executive officer since May, could be the man to make it happen.

He knows what it takes to run an NBL club, having worked as a team operations manager with former franchises the Brisbane Bullets and Gold Coast Blaze.
Full story

Topic #37876 | Report this topic

Baller#3  
Years ago

TBH, this is probably not a bad idea. No professional sports in Darwin right now would mean that the NBL team would generate some good interest.

Reply #547674 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

i feel like as a business Darwin would be more successful than Brisbane in the short term.

Reply #547677 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For anyone curious, Townsville's population is about 170k, while Darwin's is about 120k.

Reply #547696 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

No venue. Convention centre wasn't made for a drop in court and would lack capacity. You have the CEO of basketball NT saying Darwin needs a 5,000 person venue and Darwin CEO thinking he is ready to go.

Bit rough saying no professional sport when Territory Thunder is quite successful as a sub-professional team. Success in hockey with Stingers and a number of Australia's star hockey players. Australian champions in tenpin, squash and pool.

The true reality check here is next weeks warm up NBL game is played in a stadium that struggles to fit 400 spectators in. Not to mention a PBA team also gets put in a 400 spectator stadium. It is disrespect to the three teams that are all traveling here.

I would be worried about the ability for Darwin to provide a packed stadium to support a full time NBL team of this is the projected attendance for this weeks games

Reply #547702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But in money cause of gas and a U.S. Army base might help with spectators but it's to small apopulation base with no venue or true corporate support!

As mentioned above they only play in national leagues for tenpin blowing an the like, so let's get fair dinkum! Small town that will be another slow burn until it burns down

Reply #547704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I the only one that thought Tertzakian was some Eastern European country I had never heard of?

Reply #547708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be interesting to see the NBL engage better with the indigenous Australian community - you'd think there is a lot of potential there, as the AFL have thought. Basketball is also popular within those communities? A Darwin-based team might help encourage this direction?

Reply #547715 | Report this post

They should merge with the Alice Springs team.

Reply #547731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always good to merge with a place that is an 18 hour drive away.

Reply #547763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why engage with a community that don't have money to buy shirts/tickets? Afl can target them but the NBL needs to focus on the real revenue generating demographics that the afl have done so well winning!

Reply #547777 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

FM - Marrara indoor stadium seats up to 1500 pax last time I checked. No idea about Palmerston but I doubt it would be any smaller than than when they play at Starplex in Gawler or wherever they play in Mt Gambier for warm up games. I wouldn't say that is disrespectful to schedule the fixtures in either venue.

As for the Darwin Convention Centre, as some of you may recall the Perth Wildcats played a few seasons with some home games in Darwin. This was back when Vlahov was running the show. From memory he was in talks with the NT Government at the time to put a team in Darwin based out of the new Darwin Convention Centre. Of course the NT being what they are decided that Basketball was not what the convention centre was for so they refused to build retractable seating into the centre. They did make the offer that a potential NBL team could rent the space and bring in their own seating for each game.

Next thing you know the NT Govt are scratching their heads wondering why Singapore gets a team and the Wildcats have moved on from there regular Darwin trips. From memory the Wildcats games were regular sell outs at the 1500 seat stadium. Now is a 1500 seat stadium selling out every week enough to support a team? I doubt it but it would be a good start.

Reply #547779 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Darwin's population doubles in Southern Australia's winter with transitional workers and tourists so the 120K number is misleading. I'm guessing it would always be quite a bit higher than that.

Reply #547810 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I am all for putting a team here and a team in Tasmania as well... I think we have enough talent in Australia to support these teams players wise.

What is the difference in people living in Darwin to Cairns?

I would imagine you would pigeonhole them as being roughly the same with the same tropics type lifestyle and basketball in Cairns WORKS so good onya Big Joe.. I hope we see a team within 2 years playing out of NT

Reply #547817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any extra dollars in tassie or nt?? It ain't about the avg punter it's bout sponsors getting to those punters

Reply #547839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been sitting here trying to think of a worse idea but can't.

Reply #547842 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I think there should be a team here, but in reality. I would think a 5,000 seat venue would have to come first. In my opinion, the NBL should be looking to only consider new bids where there are 5,000 seat stadiums.

Reply #547846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think it should come before the team on Christmas Island?

Reply #547847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is rumours of a Darwin team being included in the 2016 QBL. Interesting if true!

Reply #547856 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

They should base the team in Darwin and play their home games in Wellington, NZ?

A joint Joe-Mills bid? ;)

Reply #547884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Lord Howe Island?

Reply #547885 | Report this post

captain obvious  
Years ago

good discussion i think the following teams in this order are all a chance to come back next season particularly with the great news that fox sports are covering all games in HD

darwin
brisbane
tassie
dragons
second perth team
wellington
west sydney
hunter valley region
newcastle
south west wa team
canberra

only problem would be either you make the season longer or squeeze more games in but i think doubleheaders every night would not be out of the question

Reply #547896 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Lol a south west WA team... There is not enough people in Margaret River, Busselton, Bunbury, Albany regions and a lot of fun things to do down there that it would be a total waste!

Norwood would be a better option... Do they get the type of hate that Port do from a footy perspective ?

Whilst I agree that it's all about the sponsors, you have to give sponsors a chance with a team in their vicinity ie CQUniversity sponsoring Cairns... Whilst Cairns is very much North Queensland it's acceptable to have that sponsorship but if it was on a Melboyrne United jersey then that would be ridiculous.

Mostly we see James Boags and Cascade as sponsors of all things Tasmanian so maybe they can be sponsored by others down there and would anyone be concerned if Darwin had 'you'll never never know if you never never go" type advertising on theur uniforms... I'm excited and I wonder what colours they'd use up there... Could we have another team called the Suns or would we get an original name

Reply #547903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are more millionaires per capita in Darwin then any other place in Australia (mining/gas/property boom).

A team in Darwin will sell tickets although its not a sexy destination when it comes to selling TV. A team in Darwin will need to have a lot of corporate backing and I'm not sure if big joe has the networks just yet as he seems to send most of his time abroad or in QLD.

Reply #547916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try SEABL first I would suggest

Reply #548010 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

NT seems a popular conversation point. Now the CLB are talking about them. Lets see if it goes anywhere, though.

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/champions-league-basketball-bring-game-top-end/

Reply #548265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it says a long way away.

Reply #548307 | Report this post

lol capt obvious!!!

Reply #548977 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The only NBL you will see in Darwin this year and the crowd was about 900.
Both rosters nearly at 100% but could be considered as full strength as throughout the season you expect to have players miss games through injury.

Is this a lack of Darwin people wanting to see NBL, a lack of advertising in the correct domains or other factors? One that comes to mind is grand theft basketball which was reported last year in local papers. Outsiders from the close knit basketball community see the sport is not well managed and money leaking through the cracks everywhere. Not to mention the recent implications of travel fraud and the links that has to the basketball boards. Similar to the issues discussed on this forum in relation to the Sixers, all avenues of basketball in the capital suffer from poorly updated websites and social media.

Is basketball in Darwin over managed? 4 associations sharing the same playing base in a population between 120-150k. 1 thing for sure, there is enough business money in the town to support a local team. With the NBL running during the wet season, indoor air conditioned sport could hold a crowd.

Maybe the future with the NBL in Darwin is not through the local associations but keeping it strictly a business team. Market the team as a great night in the city when it's just too hot and too wet to be anywhere else.

Reply #548986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should try for the CLB before the NBL. A lot cheaper to try and gauge the enthusiasm for basketball there.

Reply #548990 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754