Casey Cavaliers
Years ago

Big V 2016 Lady Cavs Coach Announced!

**2016 Lady-Cavs Coach Announced**

Casey Cavaliers are proud to announce that Michael Davies has been appointed as the 2016 Senior Women's Coach. Michael has accepted this position alongside his current role as Girls Coaching Co-ordinator for the Junior Cavaliers for 2016.

Michael draws on over 20 years of coaching experience including time spent as a SEABL Assistant Coach, SEABL Head Coach and WNBL Assistant coach.

During his time, Michael has also had a high active involvement in junior VJBL programs, including girls coaching co-ordinator at the Cavs for the past two years as well as 3 years involvement in Vic Metro state sides.
Michael holds a strong belief that the Cavs future is bright and hopes to continue focusing on building the club and maintaining a much more consistent future built around development in both the junior and senior programs.

In this role, Michael desires to develop some future leaders of the club focused around a returning core-group of Lady Cavs. With the redevelopment of the stadium Michael is hoping to introduce a Youth League Women’s side in the near future.

However, Michael is not only fixated on building the playing group. Ideally Michael will also develop the coaching staff involved in the Women’s program at both a Senior and Junior level. This will start where he has left off in 2015 by his continued involvement with the Junior Cavalier girls program.

The Casey Cavaliers are excited for the 2016 season and Michael is setting the bar high with his sights set on bigger things saying that "finals in 2016 is the benchmark".

Michael (Women) rounds out the senior coaching staff for 2016 with Stewart Baird (Men) and Phil Thomas (Youth Men) both locked in to return.

The future is bright for the Cavaliers and the entire senior program is excited to complete some unfinished business in 2016.

Topic #37877 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Did you coach at dandenong?"
"Yes, yes i did"
"Here is the job"

Reply #547770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck rebuilding the titanic.

Reply #547782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Decent team at Casey il sure with the right coach now I'm place they will be back up there.

Reply #547785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are you announcing it on here? I doubt any other association office pays too much attention to this forum.

Reply #547845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil Thomas? Wow

Reply #547848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why Wow?

He's been there two years already

Reply #547852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check the guys' track record.

Reply #547853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Care to elaborate. What record do you speak of? Or care to steer us to where we can check it?

Reply #547860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So annoying that people throw shit and hope it sticks rather than say this is why I have an issue with him or her. If you make a statement about someone and fail to substantiate/elaborate ithen people have even reason to think your full of shit with some axe to grind against an them. Make sure it's true not just someone said or I heard; facts.

Reply #547886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil Thomas is a good regular season coach if you go by his past 2 season record. He turn the Cavs youth men team around from a bottle of the ladder team into a top 3 team. However when the finals start, his team has choked both seasons. None bigger then this season against the Breakers at home when they were up 21-4 at quarter time and ended up losing by 5. As an outsider looking in, it seems his game style is good during the regular season, but doesn't stand up during finals

Reply #547917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - chocked or beaten by better sides? In 2014 they lost to the eventual champion who beat them 3 times that year. And they lost to a grand finalist again this year. Not exactly losses to hang you head in shame about.

From memmory the side he took over were 9th in 2013 and a basket case. Having coached against the guy last year they certainly had a good turn around and looked the goods early this year.

Reply #547922 | Report this post

Phil Thomas  
Years ago

Hi, this is Phil Thomas. Happy for people to have opinions and certainly my coaching needs improvement, I don't need keyboard warriors to say that. That's why I'm coaching Youth.
We lost the 2014 SF to the runaway champs and 2015 PF to a team scoring 82 @ 49% shooting. Not sure we "choked" in either games. I'd feel disrespected if I was those opponents.

More than happy to discuss in person, directly face to face, come out from behind your keyboard and I'll take you through my coaching philosophy and vision for Casey's future.

Reply #547964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like I said Phil did a good job taking the youth men team from a bottom 3 team to a top 3 team during the regular season but his coaching style doesn't stand up during finals

But they definitely choked this year. Had beat Mornington comfortable both times during the season. If you look at both team list, Casey had the better list.

They aren't the only team to choke in this year's finals series (Ringwood SCM in the semis, McKinnon SCM in Game 1 of GF, Blackburn YL1M in semis) just to name a few

Reply #547965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey beat Mornington by 14 first time (not comfortable, were you there?). Beat them the second time after one player hit 5 3s in last quarter (were you there?).
Only stood up when the team beat the champs Warrandyte on their court in FINALS.

Reply #547967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately if Paky get their youth men's team I know a number of players have been approached to play there. If this team gets in could hurt casey for a couple of years

Reply #547968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Packy need players from Casey in order to feild a Youth side then why would they be putting a side in? Whole point is to give players about to graduate from juniors somewhere to develop before seniors.

Believe Pajdic the old Keysborough youth player is taking on the role of youth coach there. Be interesting if can duplicate there the success he had at keysborough.

Reply #547974 | Report this post

Mim  
Years ago

Head up Phil, if it was easy everyone would do it!! Stay proud of you achievements and work to get better each year.

I would question why Paky are looking to expand. My advice would be to focus on building their women's program that struggled this year.

Its all good to have big dreams but they don't happen as quick as we would all like.

I agree with the above post if they need to recruit then they are not ready.

Reply #547980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paky YL, is that the Friday funny?

Reply #547985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The clubs if they have the right direction around that area are gonna be Packy, Casey and Chelsea (Excluding SEABL clubs). The other will eventually fall by the way side with no domestic or juniors to back them up.

Reply #547994 | Report this post

Ivar  
Years ago

I've been around basketball for a LONG time but it still puzzles me how my Association (and I am sure other associations) select their coaches. It seems that in a lot of cases it's not what you know but rather who you know.
There's a lot of "bitching " going on at our club ATM.
Personally I would like to see coaches rewarded for consistently good results and I think if they were selected by this criteria it would lead to a happier environment and LESS bitchiness.

Reply #548569 | Report this post

Ivar  
Years ago

Sorry about that I wanted to start a new thread - I will try again.

Reply #548572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754