http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/nbl-and-fox-sports-enter-landmark-deal/

Topic #37878 | Report this topic

Dave  
Years ago

one live game on free to air... that aint the worst news

Reply #547735 | Report this post

Wildcats Fan  
Years ago

One game on fta is a joke. They need all games live streaming and on demand.

Reply #547738 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Five-year deal.
Every 2015/16 game broadcast live in HD
Games in primetime at 7:30 Eastern from Wednesday to Sunday
12 double-headers

Allowance for one game per week to be simulcast on FTA, subject to NBL arranging that.

Reply #547743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL Facebook page is going nuts!!

Reply #547744 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Great news!

Reply #547745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The National Basketball League and FOX SPORTS today announced a five-year partnership to broadcast all games of the NBL live in High Definition; to be reviewed at the end of the 2015/16 season. This is another significant step continuing the return of basketball to its rightful place as a major force in Australian sport.

Executive Director of the National Basketball League Larry Kestelman said the broadcast rights deal is an indicator of the public's confidence in the sport and its popularity.

"We are excited to announce our partnership with FOX SPORTS and Foxtel. We are dedicated to making the NBL a best in breed, professional and commercial product that delivers the best entertainment on offer to the public over the summer, and today’s announcement is a huge step in that direction." he said.

“Fans love watching sport live - and being able to deliver basketball, produced to the high standards for which FOX SPORTS are renowned, live to our fans is of fundamental importance to being a premier summer-sport in Australia.

“Basketball has the highest levels of participation of any sport played by Australian kids, and enormous popularity across all genders and cultures. The potential for our league to partner with other basketball leagues around the world, particularly in Asia, but also in the United States and across Europe, is of significant importance; it is what differentiates us from so many of the other front line sports in Australia and it opens up a number of growth opportunities.

“We are already in direct communication with the NBA and well on the way to building bridges with both the Chinese and Philippines basketball leagues with a view to working closely with them to grow the game and capitalise on its popularity in our region.”

FOX SPORTS CEO Patrick Delany said: “Basketball is one of the most popular sports in the world and is booming in Australia due to the recent success of our home-grown NBA stars.

“With more Aussie kids playing the sport than ever before and interest soaring, basketball is entering an exciting new era in Australia and we are thrilled to be partnering with the NBL at such a watershed moment.

“Today’s announcement that FOX SPORTS will provide live coverage of every match on national television, in a first for the NBL, is a huge win for fans and will ensure the next generation of Australian stars can watch the best local players in action, every week,” Mr Delany said.

The deal will see NBL games telecast live in prime time at 7:30pm AEDT across Wednesday-Saturday evenings throughout the 19 week regular season. FOX SPORTS will also broadcast Sunday games and more than 12 double header games during the prime time evening slots between 5:30pm and 9:30pm across Wednesday – Saturday.

Kestelman also added that the NBL has made provision for a weekly live game to be simulcast on a free to air network and the NBL is in high-level discussions with the commercial networks.

FOX SPORTS and Foxtel will become key partners to support the growth of the NBL in Australia with significant promotional support to be delivered across all platforms. Broadcast arrangements for New Zealand are close to being finalised.

The NBL has attracted significant momentum, as well as corporate interest. Just this week the NBL has announced major retailer Chemist Warehouse as a major sponsor and has a number of other announcements to follow.

The NBL season will be launched at Melbourne’s Crown Pallidum on the 5th of October with the first game being played on Wednesday 7 October when Adelaide play the New Zealand Breakers at home.

Reply #547746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty bad deal for the NBL especially if true Fox can reduce the amount of games they have to show after the first year.

Reply #547747 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, so I see this as some of the best news, or potentially best news, the NBL has had since I can remember.

Any 5 year deal with Foxtel that brings live games at prime time can only give the NBL a boost, end of story!

What we need now is to ensure the product is high quality, with great highlights and our games are not boring arm wrestles with holding, grappling and limited free flowing, exciting play.

So, please get the officiating right, please...

Reply #547749 | Report this post

If the league didn't have a woeful off-season, would this deal still have been the "best ever"?

Reply #547750 | Report this post

shayno  
Years ago

Am i the only one that is worried when it says "to be reviewed at the end of the 15/16 season"?

hope they don't pull a channel 10

Reply #547754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This deal is great news. My whole family can enjoy every NBL game live and in HD for far less than the price of a single decent seat at Perth Arena for 14 games. Foxtel ain't cheap but this is still a big money saver for us.

Reply #547755 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Exactly how many other broadcast deals have we had that deliver all games, live, in hd? Yes its the best broadcast deal.

Reply #547759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even though it's hidden away on Foxtel?

Reply #547761 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Hidden away, how?

Reply #547762 | Report this post

Because only a third of the population have Foxtel. So yes, what they are offering is the best ever. What the league gets out of it may not necessarily be the best thing ever.

Reply #547764 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its probably the best the NBL can get right now, but personally, I'm disappointed, because even though I live in inner city Adelaide, there is no cable in my street and so I can't get Foxtel!

I much prefer the live streaming model, but having said that, I freely admit the company running the live streams to this point has not been up to scratch.

Has anyone heard if Kestelman/ Fox will look into developing a PROFESSIONAL live streaming service in the next couple of seasons?

Reply #547765 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Its clearly hidden away. It's not like hundreds of thousands of people every week watch pretty much all of Australia's major sporting competitions on Fox Sports, is it?

Reply #547766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm so excited that every game is going to be shown - a first for the NBL. This is a great move and hope it continues beyond this season.

Reply #547767 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I am not sure how anyone can complain about this deal. As stated in the Hoopla article, Kestleman actually shows great negotiating nous here

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/nbl-fox-sports-sign-landmark-broadcasting-deal/?utm_content=bufferd7aa8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Reply #547768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing what can be achieved when Basketball Australia is not involved.

Reply #547769 | Report this post

Crobler  
Years ago

So summary

- People with Foxtel think it's the best news ever
- Those who don't have nor want Foxtel think it's the worst news ever

But from a 'What's Best For The Game' perspective

Pros - will be likely shown in pubs, better quality more reliable coverage than NBL.TV, serious sports fans with Foxtel+Sports might be more likely to embrace the NBL, all games are live on TV

Cons - None or only one game live on FTA means fewer viewership overall, no cheap streaming alternative, uncertainty of how many games will be shown live after the first year of the deal.

Overall I guess you could say it's far from perfect but it could be a lot worse.

Reply #547771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure streaming is available, its called Foxtel Play, $50 per month and it includes a heck of a lot more than the old NBL.TV had to offer

Reply #547772 | Report this post

Well said Crobler.

Reply #547774 | Report this post

Crobler  
Years ago

Another Con/uncertainty factor to the mix. The NBL is effectively putting their future in the hands of Fox. At the moment Foxtel are doing a huge campaign on the Rugby World Cup in a bid to drive up subscriptions. Hopefully Foxtel will put a decent effort into promotion of the game and hopefully it is successful. If they just sign up the NBL and sit back and do nothing, when they review the value of picking up the code, they might look back and go "well that didn't work, it's not worth it, lets cut some corners", that's a risk.

Reply #547776 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Beantown - I live in Woodville with no cable for Foxtel, but I have Foxtel by using a satellite dish. My understanding that this is the alternative when cable not available.

Reply #547778 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anyone know if you can get HD channels with Foxtel Play ?

Reply #547781 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Yeah I get my Foxtel by Dish as do all people where I live : aint no cable.

I think this is a great deal. Im a Wildcats member but I do like watching Basketball games in general so am looking forward to seeing it on there.

Also any chance of getting Steve Carfino back for some commentating?

Reply #547783 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Viewing numbers are unlikely to decrease, they are starting from a low base, there are almost three times as many games being shown, the live reach goes from less than 30 games in three states to 112 everywhere, and it's on a channel with a strong audience of sports fans. Overall viewers will be well up, and it's possible average viewers could increase too.

Reply #547784 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

Foxtel. Sounds good except I don't have and cannot get Foxtel (not that I would pay the $50 or whatever a month just to watch the NBL live). Apart from the Foxtel Play app (same cost, no hardware and uses my bandwidth) what other options do I have? I guess if I can find someone with Foxtel I can use there GO login? Does this give you on demand as well or do I have to watch live?

Reply #547786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #547788 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^Boti has suggested "more news to come". Streaming service perhaps?

Reply #547789 | Report this post

Crobler  
Years ago

" Does this give you on demand as well or do I have to watch live?"

There is 'Catch Up' feature on Foxtel Go, Some NRL games and motorsports are currently on the Fox Sports category.

There is a feature on Foxtel Go that you can rewind live tv back 30 minutes, so you don't need to be live, just need to start watching within 30 mins of the game starting.

Reply #547790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train - I have Foxtel Play and it has terrible video quality, barely SD.

Reply #547793 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The pub thing won't hurt but isn't really a huge advantage. Been to pubs many times and had to beg for them to show basketball rather than replays of historic AFL games.

If they can find a partner for a live Sunday game (even if just in the East), that's a decent bonus.

Have they defined live for those of us in SA and WA?

Reply #547794 | Report this post

Crobler  
Years ago

Just had another look, there are actually a lot of full games on catch up (Netball, Union,F1, V8 Supercars), so I would say 90% chance the NBL will be on catch up as well.

Reply #547796 | Report this post

Crobler  
Years ago

"Have they defined live for those of us in SA and WA?" Foxtel only broadcasts in one timezone (so if something is on at 7pm in eastern states, it starts at 5pm in WA). So live means live everywhere

Reply #547798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

22m people in Australia

Current actual viewing audience 50,000 max.

1/3 of the population is still doing fine.

Fox works for a lot of sports. A League, Rugby, Motor racing ... I don't think basketball can argue we're better than any of them.

Reply #547799 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Matthew -
Also any chance of getting Steve Carfino back for some commentating?

Please no!

Reply #547800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carfino left here halfway through last season to move back to the US and remember someone saying he was doing college games over there.

Reply #547801 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Carfino god love him would just kill it for me, need new blood. Flare for the dramatic types that get you pumped up. Keep it simple but effective.

Im planning on signing on to the absolute mininmal $$ for full NBL coverage. Seems they have a no contract thing going at moment too, perhaps could come in handy for those not keen on having fox for off season??

Reply #547802 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Now, can we start speculating on who the commentators will be?

Bill Woods would be my pick for NBL host. But there would have to be a team of local commentators for each venue.

Reply #547803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox Sports HD Channels are of incredible quality and clarity.

Bring on the new season!

Reply #547804 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This deal Fox is offering right now for Sports pack- 100 set up plus 50 a month without a contract- is that all you pay?

Reply #547805 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

NOt sure but ill call to find out tonight, thats fine with me, will def start following every team much closer!

Reply #547806 | Report this post

Crobler  
Years ago

For those who are considering getting Foxtel. May I also suggest checking out the Whirlpool forums Pay TV section. There is an entire thread dedicated to negotiating Foxtel packages.

Reply #547807 | Report this post

shayno  
Years ago

Gaze will be in commentary defs and prob dave bashir and i thnik dave talbot?

Need someone with some flair to do it though, maybe spud frawley?

Reply #547808 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Thanks for the tip Crobler.

Reply #547809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This deal Fox is offering right now for Sports pack- 100 set up plus 50 a month without a contract- is that all you pay?"

No some people are saying you can now get the IQ box included if not that is another $10, getting the channels in HD another $10, direct debit fees too.

They were just doing free set-up installation deals so I'd tell them to shove that $100 if they want you as a customer.

Reply #547811 | Report this post

shayno  
Years ago

sorry John Casey not dave talbot

Reply #547813 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

We shouldn't be worried about reviewing the deal after a season or so. The league has to work hard to ensure its product is briliant, spectacular, relatable, exciting.
If the product can be proven to be al those things but viewership is too low then LK will be asking FOXTEl to look at their level of promotion and the quality of their production.

The 1 game of FTA is what gets this over the line for me ( plus the fact its a 5 year deal).
This is the NBLs chance to catch the casual channel surfer.
LK will be looking for real prime time - Friday night basketball, and I reckon any channel that takes it will promote it, couldn't do any less than 10 did.

NBL needs packed venues to create atmosphere to hook TV audience in.

Reply #547814 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks Crobler. That's good news.

Reply #547815 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

While not Ideal for some (Including me) this is good news....could have been much worse ;)

Reply #547818 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, just a small reality check for some bloggers out there who may be thinking about Foxtel and getting some great deal or other fanciful ideas.

Whatever they offer you remember one simple thing, their deals are many and they will try to confuse you to entice you into signing with their clever tactics and complex mix and match offers.

Not that this should discourage anyone new from joining, just be aware that even with a first up deal you will have to pay and after a while any offer will expire and you will be on the normal price for whatever it is you have signed up for.

Now, this isn't a doom and gloom post, I have Foxtel and have enjoyed it for years, the NBL deal for me is a bonus and I am looking forward to it.

What I don't get is the drama about paying for the privilege of pay-for-view TV!

That's what it is, it is set up for you to have what you want in addition to free to air and you have to pay for it, just like you have to pay for your 55" HD Samsung TV, if you want to watch sport on a big, clear screen...

The Foxtel deal is a great deal for the NBL, I can watch all games, invite who I want (even HO can come over if he brings some bourbon) to watch with me, I can watch it on my lap top using the Foxtel GO app' and I can record any games I miss along the way to watch later on.

Even better, I can also watch heaps of college games and heaps of other sport, I can go nuts on sport overload if I want and it's all on HD, so if you can afford it, don't hesitate, if you can't and don't want to outlay the cash go and find a friend who has (and remember to bring the booze)!

Reply #547819 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bear, you're certainly a rare kind if you can find the time to watch that much sport.

I'm guessing there are a lot of people in my category, time strapped and contemplating whether or not it's worth it to sign up to Fox when realistically I'll watch 1-2 games of NBL a week and that's it.

Reply #547821 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I have some bad news for many of you... Steve Carfino is on Sportsfan Clubhouse on Thursday's show so it means he s back in the country so I am guessing he will be the face of the NBL once again.

I don't like this deal very much as I don't have Foxtel and nbl.tv was great moreso for it's on demand feature so I could watch after others went to bed.

If I want to watch live I will use remz.ca which has everything from the Foxtel feed and ESPN and Fox Sports in USA

Reply #547822 | Report this post

Yes its great for the fans...but what does it mean for the league? No $$$ have been mentioned yet, there is risk of less exposure than before (depending on how you creatively calculate viewing numbers) and the last time the league had Foxtel, their insistence on midweek games led to a big drop in crowd numbers in major markets which is not what is needed right now.

Reply #547823 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not at all LV, I wouldn't imagine many people would watch every game, not would I have the time to do this, I was just implying that the Foxtel option isn't exclusive.

I know it isn't for everyone, but sometimes if you really want something you can make room for it, sure pay TV isn't possible for all but there is always a way if you are resourceful enough...

Ever heard of local a 'Foxtel Network'?

Reply #547824 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah one of my best mates lives 600m away and he has Foxtel with sports....Is that where you're going with this?

I think in actual fact I may get it. But it's a step back from last year in my eyes, without a doubt. NBL TV wasn't great but it was watchable most of the time. And FTA had 2 games anyway.

Reply #547826 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Boti says there is more news to come. Could be streaming, or could be more specifics about the FTA game.

Reply #547828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac the reason pubs won't show bball before is because it's not on a mainstream channel. Now that its on fox it will definitely be shown and particularly in those weeknights where there is no competing live sport.

To the guy who said fox crashed the league last time with midweek games that was a very long time ago and consumers have changed. We now live in a 24/7 ' always on' world. The wildcats experienced no decline in the Thursday night home game this past year and more recently afl had a series of Thursday games with crowds as good as if not better than average

Reply #547837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FTA replay whoopee at 10.30pm never saw it.
In Qld the Sunday game was delayed because of daylight savings real nice Channel 10.

Reply #547840 | Report this post

"To the guy who said fox crashed the league last time with midweek games that was a very long time ago and consumers have changed. We now live in a 24/7 ' always on' world.
The wildcats experienced no decline in the Thursday night home game this past year and more recently afl had a series of Thursday games with crowds as good as if not better than average"

There are about eight things wrong with in paragraph.

Reply #547843 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

This deal is better than good, a Friday Night live game on Free To Air would cap it off superbly. If the NBL grows and gains some respect and power, then they can try for more FTA games and better independent streaming services.

Reply #547844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What everyone here wants: $20/month, Fox HD stream of just the NBL.

Reply #547849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't have Fox, but I think every having game live gives the impression to the public that Foxtel are taking this seriously so maybe the league is better quality/in better shape than they thought.

I didn't word that well, but professionalism is the theme I'm trying to get at here.

Reply #547851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how much the NBL is paying Foxtel for this coverage. I understand that it's not cheap for the netball league. Hope we can afford it in the long run. Especially if live coverage of all games starts affecting ticket sales and therefore the income of the teams.

Reply #547858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If done correctly and popularity grows, the idea would be a sponsorship deal, not pay Foxtel for the air time.

Reply #547862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is a big IF. I hope there is plenty of money in the kitty for promotion/marketing to enable that growth.

Reply #547863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So would I be correct in saying all games live yr 1.

No guarantees in the amount of live games post year 1 and it will depend on ratings and LK perhaps chipping in with some of the costs...

Reply #547864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the anti fox crew, if fta and streaming was so critical, then why was the league a commercial failure during the past couple of years when we have had that? Same thing with clubs going into administration etc. Sponsors don't give a sh1t about being on poor quality fta and poor quality streaming.fox brand speaks for itself when you talk to sponsors about where their name will be seen

Reply #547865 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Typical NBL fans saying that this new deal is the 'death of the league' on Facebook. We can't have any good news without negativity...

Reply #547866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys, fox shows everything live. They realise that delayed sport coverage is no longer a thing. The one year review period is not for fox to reduce live games but to give nbl more flexibility to sell to fta networks

Reply #547867 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

"Typical NBL fans saying that this new deal is the 'death of the league' on Facebook. We can't have any good news without negativity..."

It's not the death of the NBL. It is just the end of the NBL for negative people who don't want to spend any of their own money on it. Only a fool could think the Ten deal is better than this one/

Reply #547869 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The one year review period is not for fox to reduce live games but to give nbl more flexibility to sell to fta networks
It's for Fox to be able to get out if there's no Brisbane team next season, according to Roy Ward.

Reply #547870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm an existing fox customer but my message to those considering the plunge is you won't regret it. It's also very likely that you will watch more than simply the nbl when you sign up. From afl to rugby to a-league to premier league to nba to European basketball to tennis to cricket to nfl to college sports to news there is something for everyone. The HD picture is also a class above the quality you see on fta for those high def connoisseurs

Reply #547871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#871 I know plenty of people that used to say that but soon realised that FOXTEL is not value for money. 95% of the non-sport shows is frequently repeated rubbish. Considering you can get those same shows at a fraction of the price via streaming, and then get your sport from other locations too, FOXTEL is not the magnificent package that people once thought it was.

Reply #547872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone seen what's happened to V8SC's or F1 ratings since they went off FTA???

Reply #547875 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Roy Ward on Twitter:

Main reason for Yr1 review in @NBL FoxSports TV deal is Fox demands Brisbane team in Yr2. This is why NBL promising new Bris team. #HardBall

Bear (and any others), I'm sure there's lots of content and that's great for people who like that, but I want to minimise that in my house. I think TV (and sport) can be a real bread-and-circuses time sink. I turn on TV once a week to watch one show. If I leave it on and channel surf afterwards, I always regret it later. If Fox was a paid product without advertising, that'd be better, but last time I saw it, it was smothered in station promos.

I prefer time-shifted content I've selected. If you switch on TV, too often you'll walk away having watched a mediocre movie rather than something deserving.

I try to be more of a creator than a consumer. I'm not sure I'll have "wish I watched more TV" regrets as on old man. I do think I'll regret not building the crazy idea I've always thought of. So, fewer distractions the better. If they sold a service with solely NBL games, I'd go for it.

Reply #547879 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Roy Ward really gets detailed with his tweeting huh
:p

Reply #547881 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Smartarse!

Reply #547882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@isaac i appreciate your view about too much tv but im a degenerate that can't get enough sports so it suits me well. Each to their own i guess but this discussion isn't necessarily about what's best for humanity but whats best for the commercial future of the nbl and to a lesser extent the game in this country

Reply #547887 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think that is great Isaac, very noble of you and of course you are free to do with your time what you like because that is your choice.

I have hobbies and am very active in many things I do to support young kids in basketball while also working, raising a family and plenty more keeps me busy, not just the TV.

I also like to have the option to watch what like on my TV however, so I subscribe to Foxtel.

I didn't enjoy watching the NBL last few years, crappy time slots and it just didn't offer much for me, but I think I will enjoy it more this season, we will see...

In the end, it is a matter of choice, choose what suits you but no one has to obey what others think is the righteous thing to do with their time.

Reply #547888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't this basically the same as the A-League deal with fox? And isn't Soccer the sport we're chasing?

Also wondering what will happen New Year's Eve, the only time during the season when 2 games clash?

Reply #547891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ughh I am not looking forward to a whole season of the stupid #HardBall hashtag.

First thing that comes to mind when I hear Hardball is an NBA club playing hardball with a players contract, similar to a lowball. And baseball second.

I hate it.

Reply #547893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - I doubt you will have many 'I wish I surfed around more online and on youtube and posted the links on twitter' regrets either ;)

Reply #547897 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

lets see what else I can whinge about on a great day for the NBL I know that hashtag hardball just doesn't sound too good. Get over it honestly

Reply #547898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Matt I like the TV deal I just hate the lame hashtag

Reply #547899 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

So much to be happy about and still NBL fans find as many minor negatives as possible. No surprise anymore, just sad. Will be great to see the 36ers away games on tv, every single one! Haven't been able to say that for ever.

Reply #547901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My testicles have yet to be stepped on by an attractive or unattractive member of the opposite sex. #hardball

Reply #547902 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Great news for a struggling sport.

Reply #547906 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

The slogan is, err okay. It murders "bring it". I guess they are very similar slogans, though. It could be much worse. Out of every thing that the NBL has done well this off-season, the slogan is such a petty issue.

Reply #547908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something like #NewEra would have said it all with a positive spin.

Reply #547909 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The biggest problem I have with it is that a search for #HardBall barely returns any NBL results on Twitter, which makes it less useful. #NBL16 would've been better. You can keep the slogan, just don't use it as a hashtag.

Reply #547910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No cable? Just get a tbox and run over internet

Reply #547911 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

http://m.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-fox-sports-strike-tv-deal-that-includes-creation-of-brisbane-team-20150903-gjen3b.html

"Fox Sports also has the digital rights for NBL games and will stream them to subscribers via its digital platforms, but the league has retained the right to have a third party create a subscription streaming product for people without pay-television."

I wonder what this means exactly ? If the NBL is able to set up a decent live streaming product without having to get Foxtel then they would have done extremely well. It would almost be a perfect deal if they get one game on FTA also.

Reply #547919 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The #hardball slogan was reported in the media as a depiction of Aussie basketball, I believe partially riding on the back of the way Delly played in the NBA finals, portraying tough and gritty play as our style.

This is a worry for me, I love tough and gritty, but I prefer this in a system of play based on intensity and an understanding that Aussies don't flop!

Now, the problem I have seen is this, the NBL has intensity, it has grit and it has toughness, but because we don't generally see open offensive play because of the heavy focus on defense and our officiating allows so much holding and illegal contact, unfortunately players have to flop to get a call.

So, what we generally see as a byproduct built up over recent years and probably don't like so much, is this perception by officials that players and spectators like to see basketball that is tough, physical and has plenty of contact.

To a point I also like tough and physical basketball, also I am not without the knowledge that contact occurs, however there is a line and if we stay on the wrong side of it, allowing all the illegal stuff like we tend to and like I believe the new slogan is referring to, then I think we will be in trouble.

Just my opinion based on how I see players and coaches getting frustrated at no calls, then bang, some obscure call that no one saw any different to the 6 missed before it resulting in anger and officials getting short fuses but not understanding that it is their inconsistent officiating that starts the problem in the first place...

#hardball = #frustration

Reply #547923 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Libertine

"Great news for a struggling sport"

how about....

"Great news for a struggling League"

Reply #547926 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Thanks for that link Train.

That's very good news to hear!!

Now the big question is when/if the league will announce a streaming partner?

Foxtel has a no-lock in deal at the moment that ends on 3 October. Season starts 7 October. Hopefully we'll know way before then!

Reply #547934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also from the same Roy Ward article:

"Loeliger said Fox Sports had always wanted to show all games live, but both parties had to work hard to find a way to share the costs....

"We had to find a way to make the numbers work, and while that may mean we have a little less cream to spread around the NBL, having all games live was better for everyone."

This doesn't seem to have been picked up upon by anyone. I wonder how much the NBL has had to chip in to get the coverage with Fox? Does "less cream" mean they won't have $$ to promote/market the NBL or TV coverage? If they have had to pay Foxtel part of the costs will they have to buy time on FTA to get the one live game shown?

Reply #547935 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I think we need to acknowledge to commitment to show EVERY game live is HUGE. It's not like every game is played around the corner. This means FOZ sendign crews to Cairns and Townsville 114 - 15 times each. That in itself is huge!

Lets hope we get the Friday game is the one that gets on FTA - prime time for TV.

Re setting up for Foxtel - from what I can see its a minimum of $50/ month pus $10 per month to get in HD plus $10 - 15/ month for Foxtel "on the go" which is the streaming option - to see everygame, in HD, anywhwere.

Reply #547937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This doesn't seem to have been picked up upon by anyone. I wonder how much the NBL has had to chip in to get the coverage with Fox?"

I asked this same question yesterday. It is a way for the league to burn through a lot of money very quickly.

Reply #547941 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I don't see that there was much choice in the matter, either we have exposure and pay for part of it or we go back to the old way we did it!

At least now we have potential for decent exposure, isn't that what we all wanted and though the NBL needed?

Starting points like this can be a catalyst for building on everything, but we needed a starting point and we seem to have it now...

Reply #547943 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Swish,
It is $50 for the sports combo package and $10 for HD, foxtel go is part of the first cost. $100 setup fee.

Reply #547956 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Look up Foxtel Play, that's Foxtel's streaming service which costs $50 a month including access to Fox Sports, ESPN, Footy Play etc.

Reply #547961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@BigSexy if you play #HardBall with Foxtel in negotiations you could probably get the setup fee waived.

Reply #547970 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"If they sold a service with solely NBL games, I'd go for it." Aah, live streaming then. Ditto.

Reply #547981 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Would be great if NBL negotiate with Foxtel so that any new subscribers - who mention NBL, get set up fees waived!

Now that's partnering!!

Reply #547983 | Report this post

Badinfluence  
Years ago

We could just capture and torrent every game....

Reply #547986 | Report this post

Thats what the NBL needs. People stealing!

Reply #547988 | Report this post

Badinfluence  
Years ago

ha, you're right, terrible idea.

Reply #548001 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Cain't hear a lotta what TV Commentators are sayen
when court announcer yells out deefence over a mic
a hundred times.....I just get bored. Hard to watch a full game.

Reply #548004 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

i'd like to see something like this:

» All games live & in HD on Fox Sports including streaming though Foxtel Go for subscribers
» Streaming of all NBL games for non-Foxtel subscribers for a fee of around $50-60 a season
» A live game of the week nationally on GEM/9 or 7mate/7 OR even better, each state showing a live game of the week of the home team on GEM/9 or 7mate/7

NBL should look at producing a show made out of highlights of games similar to the English Premier Leagues weekly highlights show, it doesn't require anything but a quick narration and throwing to cuts of the broadcast coverage of each game. Surely the cost would be very minimal and could *hopefully* be broadcasted by either Fox Sports or even better, an FTA channel.

In terms of coverage and commentators, i'd like to see it done like the way channel nine did the Boomers v NZ match.

Have up the top of the stadium in a studio prior to the game (or for smaller stadiums on the court like ESPN used to do for Finals games) an anchor (Bill Woods type) alongside one or two of the people about to special comments commentate (like Gaze/Heal/Carfino/Sapwell/Maher) and then prior to the ad break throw to the lead commentator courtside for a brief spiel (John Casey/Dwayne Russell/Anthony Hudson). Then after the adbreak it's game time and you've got commentary (say, Casey/Gaze/Heal)

Channel 7 used to do something similar on Friday night footy with Dennis Cometti, it worked a treat.

Reply #548014 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

KET, those commentators sound horrible...

Reply #548032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#WEAREBACKBABY

Reply #548033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting touch by the league to have some of the players be present on the podium for a press conference announcement. Not a bad way to increase exposure for some of the big names like Childress and Gibbo. But I have to ask, what the heck was Tomlinson doing there? You've got possibly the best player in the league and a proven Boomer up there with a journeyman backup PG? Odd.

Reply #548111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This from an article on the TV deal in The Australian, one of the nation's most respected and popular newspapers:

"A deal with Fox Sports will see all games of the NBL broadcast live in high definition on subscription-TV provider Foxtel from next month, ending an absence from television screens lasting years."

Note the last bit about an absence from TV screens lasting years. This is despite the league actually having a FTA deal last season. See what I mean about One HD meaning nothing? No one watches that channel and no one outside of dedicated NBL fans knew the league was broadcast on FTA.

FOX definitely represents a win in reaching a more mainstream audience.

Reply #548112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/national-basketball-league-nets-fox-broadcast-rights/story-fna045gd-1227511757865

Link to the story where that quote is taken from

Reply #548113 | Report this post

Nix36  
Years ago

Let's start by saying that this is a good deal for the NBL, but with all the grand statements in the announcement, the talking points that have been distributed to all the NBL players and the negative comments by some in social media, what has been lacking is some clear analysis of the pros and cons of the deal to explain why it is good and what is the way forward.
What we know about the deal so far:
• The Broadcast deal runs for the next 5 years in total;
• There is a review option after at least the first 2 years;
• All games will be broadcast live and in high definition;
• There is provision in the deal for a limited number of games to also be broadcasts on free to air television;
• Foxtel has comprehensive streaming and digital services for all their sporting properties (although not specifically announced it would be unusual for the NBL not to be available via these services).
It has also been reported that there is a monetary benefit to the NBL for the broadcast rights. The value of this remuneration has not been disclosed but it would be safe to assume that it is greater than anything on offer from a free to air or digital provider.
The Pros
The advantages of this deal are clear, the most important is that it puts money in the pocket of a league that needs investments and has limited funding sources. The 5 year length gives the league a median term financial security it has not had in recent times. The review options give the league flexibility to re-negotiate the deal should to position of the NBL improve.
But as a diehard NBL fan (which I am) there are some very tantalising aspects. All games live and in HD (excited squeal) and access to games across multiple platforms at a high quality (cue drooling sound).
It has not been announced but it is highly likely Foxtel will also produce news and analysis programs to support their NBL broadcasts, as they do with their other sporting properties. Which is great for NBL fans that have been starved by the limited NBL coverage and analysis available.
The Cons
There are however some reason for caution in the celebrations. Pay TV is a closed market which limits the ability for the league to attract new fans and grow the league. Penetration for Pay TV in Australia hovers around 30% of television viewers. This is similar to the penetration that existed in the 2000s when the NBL was last on Pay TV and it has been argued that this contributed to the decline of the NBL in the public consciousness.
Some commenters have been breaking down the cost of Pay TV to a weekly or daily number to suggest that this service is within the reach of everyone. However, this diminishes the impact of people’s limited entertainment budget. A basic package with sport and installation will cost close to $700 in the first year and that will require some hard choices in most families’ entertainment budget. The proof in this is demonstrated by Pay TV penetration remaining close to 30% for over a decade.
While a random game on free to air will help, new fans are not attracted to the league as a whole they start by following a team. To attract new fans they need easy access to their team to solidify their interest, without a large financial outlay to set up Pay TV.
So it this good for the league?
The simple answer is yes, as long as we view the deal as a positive first step for the NBL to get where they want to be. If this deal remains the same by the end of the 5 year contract the NBL is in serious danger of repeating the crisis that overtook the NBL in 2008-09. But this deal has the provisions for the NBL to grow past the confines of PayTV. These include the review option and the ability to broadcast more games on free to air.
The best case scenario would be in two years’ time the NBL reviews the deal from a stronger financial position, with more teams in the league - therefore more interest from free to air television and a stronger digital presence.
This is not the end goal for the NBL and should not be treated as some great return, but Larry Kestelman and his team should be praised for making a fantastic first step in getting the NBL back to a primary place in the Australia sporting landscape.

Reply #548127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This from an article on the TV deal in The Australian, one of the nation's most respected and popular newspapers:"

a) It's actually an unpopular newspaper despite it's national profile. The Advertiser sells more copies each day than The Australian does!

b) The reason they said the NBL is now returning to TV screens is because they don't know shit about basketball. Or much of anything for that matter.

Reply #548128 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

If Carfino is back I'm not.... so painful.

Reply #548133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

It is poor research from a journalist, I agree.

But the point is that the combination of OneHD and NBL.tv was a non-factor in creating a mainstream media presence that a writer could come to this assumption.

Speaks to those having a whinge that the Fox deal is a step backwards, when our national prominence is set to skyrocket.

Reply #548134 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

From what I read, it seems like this:

» 5 year deal between Fox and the NBL
» Up for "Review" after the 2015/16 season
» Review includes conditions/looks at how expectations are met regarding a new Brisbane team, product on court, product off-court, viewership numbers (a pessimist would suggest this provides potential for the contract to be easily withdrawn from or altered - an optimist would say it gives the NBL potential to bargain for more if it suddenly gains momentum and become a valuable product)
» No financial details were disclosed, but the broadcast productions costs are being "shared" - this would probably suggest the NBL really isn't getting any money from the deal
» All games will be Live and in HD for 2015/16 - referring to the season specifically and not over the term of the broadcast deal, the further years are not clarified (potentially because of the "review")
» Games will not be broadcast over multiple Fox Sports channels meaning the scheduling can only allow for one game at once (although for the few times in the schedule it clashes, perhaps they'll use the red button for viewer's choice?)
» Games will be streamed via Foxtel Go
» NBL retains the right to stream via a third party
» NBL retains the right to have a free to air channel broadcast "a game of the week" in simulcast with Fox (no information regarding whether it has to be a specific timeslot)

Reply #548160 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Games will not be broadcast over multiple Fox Sports channels meaning the scheduling can only allow for one game at once (although for the few times in the schedule it clashes, perhaps they'll use the red button for viewer's choice?)
There's only one clash all season. I imagine that'll just be the one exception to the 'one channel only' rule.

Reply #548162 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

This is from John Stensholt from the AFR:
Another broadcasting option is one match per round on free-to-air television, rumoured to be a Wednesday night on Network Ten. Loeliger said the NBL had been in discussions with all three commercial networks and believed a deal would involve a rights fee rather than the league effectively buying air-time via sponsorship.

Reply #548504 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You'd think Network ten wouldn't be interested considering they have the Big Bash that runs through the same period weekdays+weekends. Channel Nine with Australian Cricket team also has that, so you'd doubt they'd be interested as well. Although since the Big Bash is primarily on Channel Ten, I suppose we could see it on OneHD. IMO, Channel 7 would be the best option, particularly if they were willing to show it on their main channel. Although going up against sports on the other networks, they would favour themselves to do well not broadcasting sports in the summer.

What I don't understand is what the "rights fee" means. Surely Network Ten would have zero interest in giving the NBL even a single cent? Or does it mean a "rights fee" for air-time meaning NBL pays Network Ten for the right to a timeslot, in which case that's essentially saying the NBL are struggling to find a sponsor to help fund that.

Reply #548521 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Just to recap the article as well:

The title of the article is "NBL becoming more attractive to sponsors after Fox Sports TV deal"

» Apparently potential sponsors are calling up as a result of the new broadcast deal
» Sponsors have been waiting to see what the TV deal would be like first
» TV deal is "slightly back-ended" (whatever that means in this context?)
» Some of LK's $7m is going towards paying for the Fox Sports partnership (ie, NBL is paying Fox for broadcasting expenses probably)

Here's the other important part
» Some of LK's $7m is going towards a league-wide marketing & television campaign
» Advertising begins after the AFL finals
» Adverts will be tailored to specific markets promoting those team's star players

Reply #548525 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

@KET - Ten could be interested. Don't forget Foxtel took a stake in Ten worth 15% and in return Ten took a 25% stake in Foxtel's sales arm giving advertiser access to Ten, Foxtel and Telstra.

Seven would be mad to air a Wednesday night match on the main channel.

Rights fee could mean Fox/Ten pay the NBL or get NBL sponsors to pay Ten for the coverage. Ten doesn't have to give much to the NBL and Foxtel could top up the money for them to gain the rights and it would be like Foxtel or Ten for that matter saying on the mics over and over again to get Foxtel "every game of the NBL Championship is live on Fox Sports"

Reply #548547 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Indeed, there's no chance Channel 7 would put a weeknight match on their main channel. I suspect they would on 7mate or 7two, although it'd be better if Channel 7 showed a saturday night or sunday arvo game live on their main channel.

Big Bash is on every day between December and January, so those two months the NBL couldn't be on Network Ten's main channel.

--

In other news:

League GM Jeremy Loeliger today confirmed there would be live streaming of the matches from Townsville at the preseason Blitz for the Loggins-Bruton Cup.

"It will be of lesser production quality than the TV product which will be screened (during the regular season) but it means fans will be able to see the Blitz games," Loeliger said.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/nbl-today/

and for the WNBL, it appears there will be streaming and free-to-air coverage this season:

BASKETBALL Australia remains confident it soon will reveal an exciting new television deal for its flagship WNBL competition, which would combine free-to-air and online coverage.

"We're in the midst of approaches to a number of advertisers, in discussions with all the free-to-air networks and with several production companies."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/basketball-australia-excited-as-flagship-wnbl-on-brink-of-online-and-free-to-air-tv-deals/story-fndkzqrr-1227516695839

This would indicate they're not going to be on ABC but perhaps Nine, SBS, Seven or Ten.

Reply #548554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome WNBL able to get it's way onto FTA TV but the NBL has to settle for Pay TV.

Reply #548556 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

@KET - think the AFL TV deal even though its completely completely finalised there is a good chance that Ten will get the AFL. Foxtel would want Ten in the deal as it will force more people to subscribe to the pay tv giant and in return its a good deal for ten. I see the WNBL on Ten and Foxtel.

Reply #548559 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

In regards to the NBL article, it all looks very good. I just wonder how much of LK's 7 million will be left at the end of producing a complete live season, and whether he is willing to dig a bit deeper, or whether maybe some of the sponsors are picking up the slack on that front?

Reply #548561 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:09 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754