LC
Years ago

Greenwood signs deal with Crows

Professional basketballer turned Australian Rules Football player, Hugh Greenwood has secured his first AFL contract with the Adelaide Crows.

The Crows have signed the former New Mexico Lobo stalwart and Perth Wildcat Greenwood to a rookie contract.

Hugh Greenwood secures AFL contract with Adelaide Crows

Topic #37885 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who???

Reply #548042 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Hope he has fun playing in the SANFL his whole career

Reply #548046 | Report this post

High Greenwood  
Years ago

His twin brother, High Greenwood, will remain playing in the fantasy NBL with the Perth Wildcat.

Reply #548050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For those still sulking over him going to AFL time to get over it.

Reply #548051 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

They got Greenwood, we got Jawai.. I'm not mad!

Reply #548053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He must of never been passionate about basketball, just do not see how someone can switch between sports so easily.

Reply #548058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did Perth a solid. Allowed them to have enough points to get potentially the most dominant big man in the league this season. Not a bad trade off

Reply #548059 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Kenny may turn out to better suited anyway

Reply #548061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All these flavours and yall still choose salty

Reply #548069 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

He was probably 6th of so down the line of Boomers point guards, so on that front he was no real loss to the program. He had been compared to Jason Cadee, so theres a bit of a 'meh' factor there. He has followed what he thinks is right, and I am done being salty on the situation.

Reply #548070 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Dude. Dont think anyone is being Salty or needs to 'get over it'. I dont think anyone of us were actually 'on it' to begin with. I didnt have High hopes for Greenwood and I never got to see him play a game. Good luck to the dude with his dream to play in the AFL, has he realised hes going to be playing in Adelaide? (Sorry had to get cheap dig in)

I have a lot of respect for athletes who are good at 2 sports or more.. like Ellyse Perry (However she plays both at the same time). She is pretty good at both though.

I think the controversy is just nobody expected it to happen.

Reply #548071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After apparently being promised that if anyone went down he was the next in, and wasn't, less than one week later he abandoned Perth.
Word also is he's earning more than in Perth.
He has 2 years to learn to play at AFL level.
He may join the likes of Ben Richmond and Jack Osborn who are both Tassie guys who switched and done nothing.

Reply #548082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who said it was so easily, these things take time and thought.

try something radical and be happy for someone

Reply #548083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Cat B rookie wages I hope he enjoys working at Bunnings after training.

Reply #548088 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

As a Wildcats fan I was disappointed with not getting to see Hugh play, but wish him all the best in following his instincts of where his heart is as far as his career goes. Hope he does well in the AFL. Shame it's the crows! Lol

Reply #548093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read Hugh's own words.
"It happened really, really quickly, within not even a week," Greenwood said in an exclusive interview with the Mercury."
Be happy for him of course. However making such stupid statements can't be left alone.

Cat B @ $80k is a terrible wage isn't it. Shocking, isn't it.

Reply #548097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He must not be passionate about basketball, just about fame

Reply #548101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get off his case. It's his life. Do any of you ask anyone else for approval with your careers?

As for will he make it, I hope he does.

There have been well documented cases of the one's that haven't. But there are the one's that have and they didn't scale the same heights in basketball as Hugh.

Current players who were very good junior basketballers, but not as good as Hugh, Chad Wingard, Tomas Bugg, Christian Petracca, Jack Watts, Scott Pendlebury, Todd Goldstein, Jarryd Roughhead,Tom Lynch (Adelaide), Harry Dear, Brodie Grundy, Tom Downie, Brayden Maynard, Dyson Heppel, Jake Stringer, Karl Amon, Reece McKennzie, Mark Pittonet, Zac Clarke, Liam Sumner, Sam Frost, Kurt Tippett, Lin Jong.

All either played in State junior teams, australian Junior teams or the highest level of rep basketabll in their state.

IMO they all probably relised they were never going to make it to the next level in basketball (US College, Europe, NBA, NBL), so chose footy.

Also, Hugh played State Junior Footy for Tassie, was offered an AFL Scholarship before choosing the basketball pathway. So for those that don't know his story, yes it is a surprise, but for those that do and also know the amount of AFL players that have played basketball as juniors to a high level, it's no surprise.

Reply #548105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not about being passionate about basketball.

Google Chad Wingard and see who one of his idols is and what his nickname is. King James. He idolizes Le Bron James.

It would be the same for a lot of these kids, they love both sports equally. But it is also about being realistic with their ability to play professionally and make a career out of it.

I think his decision is courageous. This guy is a quality young man, lead his US college and was an Australian Junior Men's Team Captain. He's a leader, so I think a lot of AFL clubs would like to give him an opportunity. Now it is up to him.

Reply #548107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So contrary to his management's statement about no decision having been made about which AFL club he was going to, the media articles of a deal stitched up with the Crows in the background before giving the Cats the flick appears to be on the money.

Reply #548110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The one thing that Hugh has always said is that I chose basketball over AFL so I could travel the world. Once the NBA and Boomers gates closed, he himself admitted the desire was gone. Magically.
AFK clubs have been talking to him throughout his college career.
LeManis sealed is IMO.

Reply #548117 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I saw him play once as a 19 year old for the Chargers vs. Frankston. He was worth the hype back then. That night he was drilling 3's from a meter or so out & dribbled straight down the lane to dunk in traffic. I compared him to Dan Majerle that night.

It's too bad he didn't play NBL & too bad that the potential didn't materialise to a Boomers singlet.

But, as I've said before, if a young guy isn't going to make the NBA or Europe & they have half a shot at playing footy on the MCG... then they will have experienced one of Australia's great sporting experiences... so why not go for it? Particularly since he doesn't have a love for basketball.

All the best young fella.

Reply #548118 | Report this post

Anon (sad cunt)  
Years ago

Man I just want to be a sick dude and voice my opinion. Even though I'm a loser and have no idea.

Reply #548143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He likes basketball and likes afl but no passion for either. Seems to enjoy attention

Reply #548145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It probably dawned on him that he had reached his ceiling in basketball. If he was going to jump it was obviously now or never. After being given every available opportunity and media hype from a young age he no doubt felt he would not be happy spending the rest of his sporting career drifting through NBL obscurity. Last chance to get some if it back.

Reply #548147 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Goodluck to him, for the nay sayers, well its a basketball forum will always have this around. Go get paid to do what you love I say....

Reply #548150 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

As much as I think the guy is a bit of a dick, it is fairly remarkable to be good enough to get an NBA try out and an AFL rookie contract. I am pretty sure he is the only person to ever represent Australia, get an NBA try out, and also be picked up as an AFL rookie.

Reply #548151 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

In regards to the article, bit of a stretch to call him a professional basketballer. He was only amateur as his first pro contract was torn up before it began. So I would have thought high amateur prospect rather than professional basketballer.

Reply #548182 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good luck to him.

Basketball and footy obviously have a massive cross over in terms of skill sets. Ivan Maric for example was a top junior basketballer and didn't even start playing footy until he was 15. Over the past fortnight we've seen Jason Holmes debut for St Kilda- a guy who didn't play footy until 2 years ago. If a guy like Greenwood has always played both sports then there's no reason he couldn't make it work.

Reply #548189 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754