Thonyboy82
Years ago

Breakers and Kings favourites for NBL championship?

Hello,

I'm a french australian basket fan and I would have your opinion on the two teams Breakers and the Kings: who is well armed for the title? Why? Are there outsiders in this championship?

Thank you very much

Topic #37898 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings will make the grand final solely because they have Rhys carter

Reply #548240 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Kings big 3 of Childress/Thornton/Khazzouh is as good as any. Depth looks better this season too.

NZ will be good again but it depends how good a pickup Charles Jackson is. Of course, if Webster gets the NBA gig they could miss playoffs.

Everyone outside of Townsville is going to be really competitive so it's a matter of coaching and who gels the best. Tough to predict right now

Reply #548242 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Tv wont b pushovers either!

Reply #548248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First lesson: The two 'big' teams are New Zealand and Perth.

Sydney have traditionally been a big 'hype' team but lacking in substance.

Having said that, I really like the look of their roster this season and do expect them to make some noise.

Reply #548268 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

This season its a big 3 nz hawks kings imo. Cats style wont worry too many this season... really hope for league balance title comes out of nsw.

Reply #548280 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree anon, NZ and Perth are the big two, they have won the past six titles and their continuity will make them tough again, although the Webster situation will be big for NZ.

There are plenty of teams with the talent to challenge them this season, let's see who can turn that talent into a quality team though.

Reply #548282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney is not part of the big two

Reply #548290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad to see the league's global reach expanding. LK's re-branding and FOX deal is already starting to have effect.

Reply #548299 | Report this post

Thonyboy82  
Years ago

So if you could bet on a team, which one should you choose?

Reply #548398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks, NZ as a hedge will be those 2. Lost of Perth fans on this site, so they are going to be one eyed but realistically this season isn't played off history. Bevo is a safe bet at the gong at $9.

Reply #548401 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thony - Illawarra.

Reply #548416 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I spoke to the Kings coach Damien Cotter on Saturday. He said they have a great team but don't like playing defence.

Reply #548437 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm sure he appreciates you sharing that.

Reply #548442 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Every year I hear people talking up Sydney and every year we get the Violet Crumbles.

Sydney can play some really good games, when they chose to.

Reply #548450 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

@paul he said it jokingly not as though he was giving away team secrets.

Reply #548454 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ive never said it about the Kings, I think they have more than not been woeful. But Childress is special and if this new import is an upgrade on last seasons import dud, special things can happen. Markovic's head space will go along way to where they peak too...

Reply #548469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress is the difference obviously if he stays healthy the rest of the Kings team could be SEABL standard (they're not) and they would still be contenders.

NZ & Illawarra early favourites for mine.

Reply #548482 | Report this post

I'm not going to do a full analysis but the grand finalists from the past five seasons seem to have the more stability from prior seasons to the next. In some cases its just stacked teams (Pert and NZ) and in some cases its adding one or two more pieces to get them to the next level (Adelaide and Cairns).

As talented as they are, the revamped Hawks and Kings rosters are going to have a steeper learning curve.

Reply #548496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers have kept their core together so a strong chance to at least return to grand final. Adelaide have kept aussie core their season hinges on the imports.
Hawks and Sydney look great on paper but will take time to gel with so many new faces.

Reply #548508 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Any team could win itr- except maybe Townsville who are a massive long shot.

No one tipped Cairns to be one of the top two teams last season- in the end they went 21-7 and lost the GF. Wilbekin was a star. There's the million dollar question: Which of the imports will be duds, which will be studs, and which will be decent? If Thornton (Sydney), Holt (Melbourne), Prather (Perth), Jackson (NZ) etc are superstars aka Scottie W, then any of those teams could win it.

My prediction though, would be NZ if they keep Webster. They've lost depth but they seem to keep producing good local players- so Te Rangi might make up for the loss of Carter and Ibekwe.

Kings and Hawks would be next. Both big chances.

Perth, United (Question mark on Barlow, apparently), and Cairns all around the mark- could easily contend or things could easily go wrong.

36ers I don't see making the 4 but Joey has had success so you never know.

Reply #548510 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And another factor is injuries. That also went in Cairns favour last season- they had a very good run with injuries. In a relatively even league, injuries can make a difference. We've already heard that apparently Barlow might miss the season for United. Is it true? Who knows. Can they replace him with someone good? Maybe, maybe not.

As discussed in the other thread though, a good case has been made for the Hawks being a value bet. If they're still $9 right now then get on that if you want to put a bet on...

Reply #548513 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ are a good chance.

The question marks are....

Corey Webster.
With Corey trying out for a spot in New Orleans for the Pelicans there aren't a lot of potential replacements with his ability to take his place if he does make it.
If he doesn't make it, what kind of disruption will it be to the Breakers preseason preparation and will Corey drop his head?

Luckily Corey has dealt with this before and has matured, he's now married, settled and playing his best basketball.

Charles Jackson.
The Breakers initially thought he was out of their league salary wise but were pleasantly surprised when he was keen seeing the NBL as the ideal place to hone his game and improve. I won't be expecting any turn around jump shots fading away on the buzzer but I do expect dunks, rebounds and a big mitt swatting shots.

Alex Pledger.
The Pledgehammer is expected to be out for the first moth or two of the 2015/16 season as he comes back from his Turf Toe injury. NZ have indicated that they intend to use 17yo Development Player Tai Wynyard to play some back up minutes behind new import Charles Jackson while Alex finishes his rehab.

Tai Wynyard despite being only 17 isn't a bad development ace to have up your sleeve to play some coverage before he jets off to UK at the end of the year.

Shane McDonald.
At 30yo he at least brings a level head and some experience albeit not a lot at this level. His ability to knock down the open outside shot and run the offence and a decent passing game saw him beat out local options like Jarrod Kenney but weather he can out perform him will be on display in round 2 when NZ head to Perth to face the Wildcats and Kenney.

Tai Wesley is in better shape than he was all of last season and most if not all of the Kiwi's in the Breakers have all been playing together with the Tall Blacks so are all game fit and are carrying that chemistry into the NBL season (hopefully).

Oh and that Cedric Jackson guy is pretty damn good also.

Reply #548541 | Report this post

Thonyboy82  
Years ago

So if I understand, everybody's waiting the Webster's decision (rather the Pelican's decision)

To resume, if Webster will leaving, Kings and Hawks are your favorites..?

Reply #548916 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:17 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754