incognito
Years ago

Olympics - Tips for Australia

Is this going to be most competitive Olympic games in years?

Obviously Serbia and the US are miles ahead or are they?

Australia beat Italy and Italy beat the US. Australia seemed to compete with Serbia, getting killed in only the third quarter.

I caught the US playing in 2000 (including Vince Carters Leap Frog dunk) and I think that team would have destroyed this years team but is the world also catching up? The answer in my opinion is no doubt and I think Australia will be top 4 by next Olympics - we have many youngsters coming through now.

Topic #379 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL is looking at moving the 2005/06 season forward to accommodate the Commonwealth games.

Implications for ABL teams that include NBL players?

Reply #2799 | Report this post

Billo  
Years ago

Incognito, how good was that France game with Vince's dunk? I too was there and that is without doubt the best moment of live sport I've ever experienced. 4 years later and the memories remain. Ahhhhhhh

Reply #2800 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

vinces dunk against france would take some beating for the best dunk of all time.....he pretty much jumped clear over a 7 foot 3 guy....ridiculous really...i still cannot fathom the actual jump, outside the key as well....unbelievable.
as for australia's medal chances, i think the women are as good a shot at gold as we will ever get....jackson in her prime...the men would be outdoing themselves to make top 4....7 or 8 i think.....but you never know??

Reply #2802 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Billo, yea it was honestly one of the best few weeks i ever experienced.

Saw a game when Garnett (I think against New Zealand) decided to defend their guard to the half way line except i did it on all fours with his knuckles on the ground, like a crab. He was still faster thant their point guard though.

The closing ceremony was awesome.

A mate of mine who used to play abl for West lives in Sydney and hooked me and a few other people i was there with (they probably read this forum??) up with a pass to one of the top floors from where they made the mission impossible 2 movie from. Had a a full view of Sydney with glass all around this room and from one of the best vantage points possible. To top it all off the room had a movie sized tv screen setup so we could also watch the tv footage of the closing ceremony.

Would be interested to hear other peoples olympic memories.

Reply #2807 | Report this post

BJT  
Years ago

Went to the quarter final US vs I don't know. Got tickets through a mate who scalped them (only paid $20 extra). We sat 8 rows from the front, and we actually were sitting around all the US fans. At one point the crowd started chanting "Carter's a wanker", and none of the yanks knew what they were saying, it was very funny.

Reply #2811 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Hmmm....Olympic memories....would have to be Tatiana in the pole vault!

Reply #2813 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Oh yea the guy - long jumper. That was memorable. I think he got silver. Was great to see him getting pumped before his jump and the crowd getting into it. He was inspiration to me as he loved his alchohol.

Watching Kathy Freeman win her race from the pub just outside the basketball stadium and actually hearing the crowd from the athletics track about 250 - 500 metres away and about 1000 people inside the pub and just outside the pub going crazy when she won.

Seeing local celebrities like BJT there.

Bumping into Blake Carasella and Chris Heffernen and one of my mates just happening to have an Essendon Guernsey on under his outer attire and Heffernen and Carasella luvin that he had it on.

A mate of mine having a fun wrestle with an Australian Grecko roman wrestler on some lawn in Darling HArbour area and telling some European lass that he was trying to chatup that the wrestler was huge in australia and a household name.

The memories, the memories.

Reply #2815 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Oh yea the italian basketball player guy whose name was "Fucka" and it was on the back of his playing top!

Reply #2817 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I was at that NZ game too where Garnett was doing the crab, Yao Ming was sitting about 8 rows from me watching the game. He also played before USA France in the dunk-a-thon match. I thought the NZ team doing the haka after they'd just been pumped by 50 was a bit of a highlight!!

That Italian guy with a beard who took the mop off the floor sweeper and did it himself in thier match v China (pre USA NZ) was funny.

I was only there for 3 days but it was close to the best weekend of my life. I also caught the mens beach volleyball semis at Bondi which had an amazing atmosphere.

The general vibe of the whole city was insane, watching Cathy win gold with a few thousand others on a big screen at Darling Harbour was magic.

I was so pumped I swore I'd make it to Athens this year, I'm close (well, Scotland's closer than Oz) but not quite close enough. At least I get the opening ceremony at 6pm, just when I'm returning from work on a Friday, not like 3am or whatever you guys have to deal with. Mwwwaaaaaahaaaaahaaaahaaaaaaaa.

Reply #2875 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:11 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754