Isaac
Years ago

Boti: WNBL to get live streaming, possible FTA

Get ready for online streaming for the first time in the league's history - Canberra Capitals' solo efforts in that regard and occasional dalliances by others notwithstanding - following fairly concrete conversations with a major online provider.
And that move links in to deals BA has on the table with the free-to-air networks who, lately, have been paying a bit of attention.
More here and here.

Topic #37910 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the guys can't get FTA but the women can? I know this is sexist to say but I surely that can't be right

Reply #548570 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Sucks for me, pay as I go internet will cost me probably $30 a game. I wanted Foxtel to pick it up.

Reply #548583 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

WNBL have been a more stable competition and had FTA for a while now, haven't they?

Reply #548585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The WNBL had a game of the week FTA on the ABC for over 30 years. Finished end of last season:(

Reply #548586 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Get an internet plan for $30 lol

Reply #548589 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Surely the guys can get a credible streaming service going for those who dont have Foxtel or cant afford it.

Reply #548594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you can't afford it Tornado, go and find a friend who can!

Reply #548595 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hope the WNBL can get FTA. Rumours are that some teams have lost $100k sponsorship deals because of a lack of FTA coverage which is huge in keeping these teams financially sustainable

Reply #548598 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Never said I couldn't afford it anon...just don't think it is a great financial decision to buy the basic package plus sports just so I can watch NBL. I and a lot of my friends have had Foxtel in the past and not only is the majority of the programming on their junk, it is stuff I can get off of the internet anyway. Besides, I dont have the time to sit and watch all the other stuff if it were good to make it worthwhile.

It would be like me purchasing Foxtel just so I can watch a couple of NBA games via ESPN but why do that when I can get all games from League Pass cheaper?

Personally, I think a streaming service would only help the NBL to grow and gain exposure. For example, imagine all of the Aussies in college subscribing and keeping up to date with the NBL....getting all of their team mates around to watch etc...

Need to think bigger and broader rather than just sitting on top of your money bags giving pointless advice!

Reply #548611 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Tornado - does the NBL deal with Foxtel allow clubs/NBL to set up a (competing) streaming service? I can't recall it being mentioned in the announcement.

Reply #548613 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There have been articles stating that it does.

Reply #548615 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

PeterJohn as Koberulz mentioned, I believe it does. If LK entered a deal with Foxtel where a streaming service wasn't allowable it would be a massive fail in my opinion!

Reply #548618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am another (anon!) who will pay for streaming NBL, but not Foxtel.

Reply #548626 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Cheers - that's good to know. I see streaming as a better option for me, too.

Reply #548644 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If they do go the streaming option they need to talk to the NBA and find out whohow they do their site. It is top quality and you feel like you are getting what you pay for.

If they use Perform again it will be a waste of time as the previous NBL.TV service was very average and the LiveBasketball.TV website is a joke.

Reply #548652 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Agreed Aussibballer.

Reply #548653 | Report this post

sportsfan  
Years ago

there is always the basic option clubs may go with a just live stream through youtube like SEABL has done as clubs would not need to spend money on it.

If people say the picture is not that great some clubs don't have that great of internet speeds to do it

thats how Dandenong already do it with seabl game & have last season with WNBL

Reply #548670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone not willing to pay $1.87 per day to watch EVERY NBL game LIVE on Foxtel really doesn't understand value for money

Reply #548694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free is too much to pay for what product they're offering

Reply #548713 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon its more than $1.87 a day if you don't already have Fox.

Plus, that $1.87 over the course of the NBL season equates to about $340.

NBA has a longer season than the NBL and League Pass is cheaper than that and offers more than the Fox package.

Add that $340 onto the $300+ members are paying to watch their club play live at home and the price starts to add up. Why pay $650 plus when you can add a streaming service for $100.

I understand the value of money just fine thank you very much, not sure I can say the same for you?!

Reply #548720 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Stop whinging about having to pay for Foxtel and just be happy that the league is on the up and broadcasting every game. Go and attend the games in your city and be supportive. If it wasn't broadcast you would whinge about that. It is great for the league to be available for those who want to watch it

Reply #548737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tornado, you say

"Why pay $650 plus when you can add a streaming service for $100"

simple answer to that is because you cant.

Yes it would be great to have a streaming service, but at this stage there isn't one. So as per other comments stop whining and accept that the deal that the league has done with foxtel, while not perfect is a pretty good result. If you choose to get foxtel then great, if you decide its not something you want to commit to then that's fine too.

Reply #548749 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm not whinging about it, I'm just responding to others and saying that the league wont grow or get the exposure it requires without a streamed service.

Reply #548781 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I wouldnt think a streaming service would help the league grow or gain exposure? Majority of those that would subscribe to streaming would be fans already.

Reply #548784 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Still plenty of dumb people around that think anyone anywhere in Australia can get internet signal! I can spend heaps to get satellite or wait until its turned on in my area. Crappy old Telstra lines make it impossible to run internet.

Reply #548804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wouldnt think a streaming service would help the league grow or gain exposure? Majority of those that would subscribe to streaming would be fans already."

Excatly. This is the point people don't get.

Streaming services do nothing to attract sponsors.

Television coverage does

Reply #548815 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Why cant a streaming service attract sponsors, they have the platform and breaks to sell advertising space just as TV does?

Dave, the casual fan would be more likely to subscribe to a streaming service than Foxtel and you will also get those subscribing that cant quite afford Foxtel...surely that's better for the league than just Foxtel?

As far as growth and exposure with a streamed service...imagine Aussie colllege students abroad subscribing and inviting friends over to watch the game. Now imagine if that Aussie is part of the college basketball team and invites team mates over to watch games. This could increase the profile of the NBL and attract better imports to our league. Those better imports provide a better product which attracts a bigger crowd. Bigger crowds attract more sponsors...

Reply #548939 | Report this post

NBL #1 Fan  
Years ago

Does WNBL have streaming yet?

Reply #563310 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:19 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754