Isaac
Years ago

Melbourne United signs ex-NBA player Hakim Warrick

To be announced today apparently.

FoxSports:

Melbourne United's capture of ex-NBA star Hakim Warrick the stunning coup revamped NBL needed
Full article

Topic #38016 | Report this topic

Wookiee  
Years ago

While there's been no official announcement, it does certainly seem like one of those "everyone knows it's coming it just has to be finalised" sort of things...

So now the conspiracy theories about why Ibekwe was "regrettably released" can start :)

Reply #550714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone except Andy Maher at SEN who couldn't give two hoots about anything basketball related at all. He only cares about footy, golf and baseball or anything else other than hoops!!!!!

Reply #550724 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

How much would he be on? $250K...

Reply #550726 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Regrettably released because Melbourne feared they weren't a top-4 team and needed a Childress-esque level import?

Reply #550727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many positive people on this forum

Reply #550729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Athletically should dominate, weakish shot from memory.

Reply #550730 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He's an athletic scorer - face-up, attacking the basket with his speed type, more than a back to the basket guy - who didn't do much else in the NBA, but figures to be a strong rebounder/shot blocker at this level too.

Reply #550732 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If United can get some chemistry going then they should be a very high scoring team.

Goulding, Blanchfield and Kickert are proven scorers in the NBL. Warrick averaged 18ppg at 54% from the field in 27 minutes per game in Turkey last season- a league that I'm guessing is quite strong since two teams are in the Euroleague, Then there’s Holt, who’s put up some big numbers in pre season hitouts.

Based on the scouting reports on Warrick, he should be a great fit. United already had a lot of outside shooters, so having an athletic guy who can score around the basket is the right guy to add to the mix.

Questions: Will there be enough ball to go around- and will they be able to defend, especially on the inside.

Reply #550733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am positive that Andy Maher hates basketball!

Reply #550734 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Exepct alot of highlights out if melbourne!! At this level warrick should be able to dominate especially in a 40min format. Thered be a few nervous imports out there having a unsigned ibekewe around the place.

Reply #550736 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Would be a beast in the pick and roll if any NBL point guards could run a pick & roll.

Reply #550743 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Generally speaking, too much zone in the NBL to run effective P&Rs... Might be a problem to play that against Melb next season though, Hawks too.

Reply #550745 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Everybody get ready for 36er fans saying
"How come we didn't sign him."
Not knowing about salary caps and what not ahahah. Just kidding don't hate me 36er fans!

Reply #550750 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Kobe24 you said he would dominate, care to guess what sort of stats he would have? I would say about 12ppg, 7rpg, 1.5bpg. If my numbers are close to being right I wouldn't say that is dominating numbers for a x NBAer.

It would be interesting to see what others would think he will get and then come back after the season to see if it is close to what they thought.

Anyway it is great to have such an athletic player in the NBL and Melbourne will be as good as any to claim a top 4 spot.

Reply #550754 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

As I eluded to earlier, there's plenty of other guys on United's roster who like taking plenty of shots.

I think Warrick might average 15ppg, 7 rpg.

Reply #550755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Due to their only being one basketball on that United team I would say Warrick will average 18 & 7.

22 & 9 on most other teams.

Reply #550756 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Stephen Holt is the real deal!

Reply #550757 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm looking forward to their Blitz matchup against Illawarra

Predicted scoreline United 108, Hawks 103.

Reply #550759 | Report this post

Gekder  
Years ago

Anon#734, Gaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Reply #550760 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id say close to 16 and 7 but its going to be all the attention he recieves defensively which will leave other guys open that will make him dominant. No one on that united would go close to avg 22 mot enough shots to go around, but he will be a very hard cover i think.

Reply #550767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought this team was more in need of a low usage rim protector. (ie Ekene Ibekwe) Although we will see how this goes.

Reply #550769 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

There is certainly some talent going around.

Ego's and chemistry will have a big say in how United's season pans out but they have the horses to challenge any of the other contenders who will be battling the same issues trying to work in new players.

Reply #550770 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

In my opinion they needed someone to score in the low post and protect the rim so Warrick is good fit for them.

Reply #550771 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

You're right mystro- all NBL teams have these issues to an extent.

United just has a tougher ask than the others in terms of the first few weeks of the season due to bringing Warrick in so late, having injuries that have kept players out for extended periods in the pre season (Tomlinson, Barlow), having a coach who's new to the league, and having only 3 hit outs before the Blitz when most NBL teams have had 5 or 6.

Reply #550774 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Very solid pick up by Melbourne.
They've got some handy pieces this year. Starting 5 of Holt, Goulding, Blanchfield, Warrick and Kickert with Barlow and Tomlinson coming off the bench is a pretty scary list. Hadziomerovic and Majok could be handy back-up too.

Reply #550775 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And of course United has overhauled their entire roster and coaching staff more than pretty much anyone else.

Reply #550776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's ok, Adelaide have Ebi Ere! lmao

Reply #550779 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

But they have a ton of talent in Kickert, Goulding, Blanchfield and Warrick.
NZ haven't had their whole team on the court yet either and will be taking two development players to the blitz to make up numbers and I'm sure other teams have had niggles keeping players from training and playing pre-season.
Some guys aren't probably match fit either and will improve as their fitness improves (looks at Nate J).

Reply #550781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"it's ok, Adelaide have Ebi Ere! lmao"

With a calf injury too, here we come!

Reply #550783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Melbourne United sign" not signs?

Reply #550794 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Warrick is a super Athlete. Better scorer than Ibekwe but do Melbourne need another scorer?
Think he will be very good as averaged 17 and 7 in Turkey last season. Would expect similar numbers considering that Melbourne have a lot of scorers.
The thing that helps is he has had overseas experience in good leagues the last two years.
Expecting Kickerts and/or Blanchfield numbers to drop this year due to the players added.

Reply #550802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

huge signing hakim is a jet. two potential mvps at united now.

Reply #550814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's the other.... Def agree Warrick is legit and will cause havoc this season. Ill def be getting fox to suss out all the games, not just 36ers ones. Kings games, Jawai at the boring cats and now United will all make for very good ball viewing.

Reply #550816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another old fart that will be injured,no big deal. United won't challenge for the title!

Reply #550822 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Why aren't people going on about Warrick's age? or is it "X NBA = age doesn't matter" :)

Reply #550843 | Report this post

Because he can slamdunk!! Haven't you seen his 2009 mixtape?

Reply #550844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he is fit and comes into the league in shape. Plus 4 years at 10ppg + in the NBA is pretty good indicator the guy can ball, being athletic usually cancels out any age issues.

Reply #550898 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Actually it is still pretty close to Ere

Last time Warrick played close to a whole season in the NBA was 5 years ago.
Last time Ere played and dominated in the NBL was 6 years ago.

Warrick has been playing well in Europe/Asia
Ere has been playing well in Europe/South America

Warrick is fit and in good shape
Ere was fit before getting a minor injury. His body shape is debatable.

Actually being atheletic is usually the first talent to go with age.

I think they will both go well. I was just saying people shouldn't harp on Ere's age and then ignore Warricks age.

Reply #551070 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:52 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754