Slammin'08
Years ago

Technology and Basketball

After playing basketball last night and discussing moving in and out of the key and how difficult it is for umpires to effectively manage the 3 second ruling I was thinking about how technology could help out. I had a few ideas and thought it would be fun to throw around. Obviously this is all a hypothetical but it is off season so need something to chat about!

1 - Sensors on the court and in players shoes. Each player gets a unique sensor in their shoe's. When a player steps into the key the court automatically starts timing the player. If the don't place a foot outside the key within 3 seconds the key lights up and the violation is called. Can also work for the 3 point line, out of bounds, back court etc. the court can sense where your feet are.

2 - Hot Spot. Can you use a hot spot type technology to see where the last point of contact on a ball is? This could be useful when you get a few sets of hands on a ball as it is pushed out of bounds. See which hand touched it last. Seems a bit more difficult. Perhaps the ball itself could have a sensor that can show touch to a special camera (don't want the ball lighting up every time you touch it!)

These are a couple of ideas I came up with. Please discuss, add your own ideas or tell me I am an idiot and to leave you all alone!

Topic #38025 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How would it work for a player under art 26.1.2 bullet 3 - dribbles in the restricted area to shoot for a field goal after having been there for less than 3 consecutive seconds.

Get's the ball at 2.5 sec, starts his dribble and post move to shoot for a field goal... in there for 4 sec.... doesnt work

Reply #550861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All good points - 3 second calls are influenced by where the game and ball is at I.e has to be live and in the front court and relevant to the play. I think slo mo , zoom and overhead cameras help more with out of bounds calls as there are so many areas of contact. I feel a good technology thing would be a tracker on a player and a referee head cam - I know they tried this in the states. The foot sensor thing might be better at the 3 point line and sidelines. Maybe a ball sensor to show the angle of the shot etc would be good - the 95/50 or whatever it is called can do that.

Reply #550863 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

I guess with the ball having sensors it can reset the timer if the ball is being dribbled by the player in the paint.

Reply #550870 | Report this post

be like video refs, creates more problems.

Put the money into a good ref program and get better results!!

Reply #550878 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sensors embedded in the court and shoes would be too much to require for every stadium and every player.

And at a professional level, the refs are generally going to be of a decent enough standard that they catch most issues.

Reply #550885 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

I was thinking more like NBA level of court then local league stuff. In 10 yrs time when they are looking for a way to make the presentation more exciting on TV or something. I wouldn't think the dude (me included) playing social ball on a tuesday night would care about a 3 being called as a 2 or something like that too much.

Reply #550887 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

stick to hover boards

Reply #550904 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754