wussupsydney
Years ago

Basketball advice - keep getting stuffed

Hey boys,

Just want a word of advice on this. I recently returned to balling and have found I keep getting blokes rejecting me, don't know how to prevent it other than shooting with a weird high arc lol.
I think the problem is I take too long to set up and am only watching the hoop not my peripheral vision. I am pretty accurate but that doesn't help you when the ball is flying back at your face on the reg. Is there a drill to get your shot off nice and fast before the defender has a chance to swat you?

Topic #38027 | Report this topic

Dave  
Years ago

Don't force shots up and you won't get blocked... if you get blocked on Jumpers your not open enough when you shoot. My advice.... pass the ball.

Reply #550883 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Head Fake

Reply #550886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you talking about jump shots getting blocked around the perimeter? If so it sounds like your shooting technique needs a revamp.

Reply #550889 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

It's all about timing. Catch-Shoot (the speed is the same for the shot as it would be for you to say "Catch-Shoot"). Receive the ball already in a low stance so you only need to come up instead of catching, bending knees and then coming back up. Also, know what you're going to do before you get the ball either catch-shoot or catch-go. If it is catch go then as you catch it you are already moving which allows you to get past a defender. Finally, pass fakes and shot fakes clear space. Whatever you do, don't stop shooting- you miss 100% of the shots you don't take!!

Reply #550893 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Don't stop shooting.... if they're good shots.... if you're getting blocked on the perimeter, you're not taking good shots...

Reply #550900 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

Watch kuroko no basket, lot of good tips there that should help.

Reply #550901 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Dirk fade-away bro!

Reply #550906 | Report this post

wussupsydney  
Years ago

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to give it a crack next time I play. I'm raring to go!

Yea anonymous I'm talking about mid-range, long 2s etc, not getting blocked on layups and I don't really F with 3 pointers atm.

Reply #550951 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

let us know how you go...... what worked/didn't!!!

Reply #550968 | Report this post

try 1 bounce step back.

Reply #550999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tried passing to someone who is open?

Reply #551000 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Mid range jumpers
- Call for a screen
- Run off an off ball screen
- move without the ball
- passfake/headfake
- 1 dribble jump shut off either hand
- Jab step
- Elevate on your jumpshot

Contrary to a couple of posts.....stop taking long 2pt jumpers. Penetrate and shoot the layup or a runner, then work on pulling up for a mid range or short range jumper. If you are shooting 20ft jumpers, your team mates should be calling you Josh Smith and stop passing you the ball.

Jump on youtube and watch how undersized guards in particular get their open shots, or look at the great guards and how they work. Literally 100s to pick from, but hard to go past guys like Ray Allen and Steph.

Reply #551038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Move without the ball!

Reply #551259 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754