Anonymous
Years ago

What is Tom Garlepp's ceiling?

I used to watch this guy dominate the SBL 5ish years ago and you could see he had talent back then.

Starting to realise that talent now, but how good can he be?

Topic #38038 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say he has peaked and will simply hold his good form until his body breaks down and old Father Time kicks in as he always does. I'm not trying to come across negative seems like a great guy who I'd love to see domaine.... But his body type can only allow so much. Not athletic nor particularly quick.

Reply #551176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not a particularly quick or athletic league doe

Reply #551177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id say he is at his ceiling

Reply #551181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a vert quick league and there are many flat out athletes so not sure which season you watched last. He's a savvy banger type that can rebound as he will put his body on the line and keeps the defence honest with his mid range jump shot.

Reply #551182 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Reached it

Reply #551184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's a vert quick league and there are many flat out athletes so not sure which season you watched last. He's a savvy banger type that can rebound as he will put his body on the line and keeps the defence honest with his mid range jump shot."

Sorry been watching the Cats who are probably the least athletic in the comp :(

Reply #551187 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Like other people have said, he has reached starting role player status and shouldn't be unhappy with that. Could see him finish with similar legacy to Holmes

Reply #551190 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Yeah he is around his best right now. I don't see him going up in leagues or becoming an allstar. Just a decent NBL starter. Can't complain about that.

Reply #551194 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, that's an outstanding effort. Next step for him is to become one of those role players remembered for doing the little things that get his team a championship.

Reply #551204 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Co-captain for the team in the biggest city in Australia is a decent achievement.

Reply #551206 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

He is what he is. Has stuck around in the league worked hard and got the most out of his ability.

Reply #551213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great player now. Worked hard on his game and now full time NBL player.

Reply #551223 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Agree with above comments. He is at his peak. A true power forward by style, and worthy of the title of NBL starter.

He is a hard worker and a team man without much of an ego. A solid player in his own right but will never be the first or second option on offense in this league. However, every successful team needs guys like him- those who are happy to play the team game, contribute in various ways and help their team succeed.

He could play a role this season and help his team win a championship, much like those great lesser lights of the Tigers era Stephen Hoare and David Stiff.

Reply #551227 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's no star but has done well after bouncing around a few teams earlier in his career including the 36ers.

Reply #551228 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Echo the 'reached his ceiling' comments above..

He's a good, unconventional scorer. On his fade away he hangs in the air and doesn't release the shot until he's on his way back down, but he makes them at a good clip.

Not a strong rebounder... actually, just not 'strong' in general. A bit of a tweener which has hurt us in the past on the boards and on interior D in general. Defense is not really his forte, outside or in.

You could do far worse than Garlepp as your starting 4, but you need the right guys around him for it to work. We haven't the past couple of years.

Reply #551237 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Played here one year, didn't trouble the scorers that year. Not a very friendly kinda person..

Reply #551279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As others have said he's not particularly skilled or athletic but kings making him captain probably speaks to his team principles and his smarts. I think he's been using more savvy in his play over the past couple of seasons and that's the key to his success. To answer the question his ceiling is a good role player

Reply #551348 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not a very friendly person? Well that is straight up BS, dude is a champion bloke.

Reply #551364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was chosing Co captain with childress but after watching him at the Blitz I'd say he is on a downward slide. At times he looked slow and out of sync
not knowing where he fit in Cotters system and didn't look happy.

Reply #551547 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754