Nix 36
Years ago

Increasing Player Fouls at NBL Blitz

I don't know about 10 fouls but if both sides agree then you should be allowed to bring a player back. It is only preseason.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/72443628/breakers-coach-dean-vickerman-calls-for-law-change-in-anbl-blitz

Topic #38045 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a ridiculous thing to suggest. The Breakers still had 5 players, and could have played with 4.

Why not allow double dribbles as well. Players could then have more of a go, even if they had used their dribble up.

Also lets allow running with the ball. Centres could then run the ball into the post without having to worry about the dribble or pass. The extra time they spend in the post would help them in the season.

Actually, I think a team should be able to play 7 or 8 players on the court at once. This will allow the coach to get more players on the court, which is better prep for the season.

What a stupid idea.

Reply #551359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough I reckon, Nix. But maybe any personal foul on a fouled-out player cops 3 free throws instead of 2.

Reply #551360 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If your earn 5 fouls in 8 minutes, you deserve to sit your arse down for the rest of the night.

Bailey and Jackson took a combined 26 minutes to get their 10 fouls. That's just bad discipline, or very poor defensive technique.

Reply #551362 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What a stupid idea, you'd never see the NBA doing something like that in preseason ;-)

Reply #551366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember a seabl preseason game between Kilsyth and Knox where teams had a no limit foul count.

Reply #551370 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

It is pre-season but it's a pre-season tournament, so the rules should be defined at the start of the tournament. I've got no problems if they were to increase the foul count to say 7 for the tournament, for other pre-season games whatever the 2 teams agree to would be fine.

But there still needs to be some (shudder) common sense applied. Maybe the >5 fouls rule should only be applied after a certain team foul limit, or only in the 4th quarter, or if a team has several injuries.

Reply #551374 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

About time the refs started calling by the rules instead of allowing the game to be relaxed for entertainment value.
It's just like speeding fines - if you don't speed then you never pay fines.

We've had to put up with too much lazy and dumb 'd' lately because refs allowed too much contact. Yes, allow incidental physical stuff but not the hacking & holding & grappling & unsportsmanlike rubbish that has taken over these days.

Reply #551390 | Report this post

Nix 36  
Years ago

As long as all the teams agree I don't see a problem with a rule change for next year. Teams have to feel they are getting some benefit from a preseason tournament or it won't last.

Reply #551391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think any team that has a player foul out so quickly in a pre season game gets a big benefit. They can then say "Hey dumbarse...let's work on your rubbish D" Then it might not happen in the regular season. Give them extra fouls they'll never learn

Reply #551396 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not really, when a guy who's only fouled out twice in his past 65 games gets five fouls in under eight minutes, I'm not sure his lazy D is the issue.

Reply #551401 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Why didn't NZ just call in some local TSV A grade players to pad out their lineup? Or sign some random like Brad Hill to help them out during the tournament.

Reply #551421 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Increased foul count results in different on-court behaviour.

Not workable.

Reply #551460 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Yes you should be allowed to stay but if you foul after 5 it should be an unsportsmanlike.

Reply #551461 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Increased foul count results in different on-court behaviour. Not workable."

It seems to work for the NBA summer league.

Reply #551465 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thing I don't get is that "bigs" are penalized very quickly this weekend but perimeter guys get to ride ball-handlers up-court a lot without penalty.

I also wonder at what stage will refs start to call Wildcats players the same as others? Between Wagstaff, Redhage, Hire and Jervis they get away with a LOT more than other Teams. No wonder their games are complete slogfests and awful to watch.

Reply #551467 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Can tell Bevo is at Illawarra. Foul city and low foul count against them and the Sixers were picked up on the light ones. So it starts. An no not making excuses for the loss.

Reply #551503 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I watched the Blitz and did not see much more to excite me than previous years on court. Sam reffing, no crowd and no atmosphere. All about the 3 which his bloody boring to watch. Switching to WNBL this season

Reply #551513 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:18 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754