Cute Man
Years ago

Lack of FTA coverage - a perception about Hoops?

I was scrolling through the sports section of my local newspaper today and noticed that there was a section about the National Football League (NFL - American Football) and the 3 games that would be broadcast live this week on 7Mate.

I wouldn't have thought NFL had anything more than a niche following in Australia so I thought it was impressive that followers could watch 3 live games per week on FTA.

It got me thinking that not even the NBA, which is understood to be more popular than NFL in Australia has any games broadcast on FTA.

That got me thinking about whether the NBL's struggles to get a FTA deal perhaps goes beyond the league itself and perhaps is more a reflection of FTA TV's attitude towards the game.

Is there something about the game of basketball that is not appealing to FTA audiences or the "general public"? Is it the fact that the sport is "non-contact" and not physical enough for the blood thirsty Aussie public? I note that soccer, another massively popular sport, also has no FTA presence be it the local league or the extremely popular European leagues. This is another "non-contact" sport. Yet the NFL is able to get 3 games per week.

Is this a hint for future marketing campaigns, that we market the physicality of our game?

I note the AFL and NRL, which have the biggest followings in our country, have a largely "bogan" following filled with guys that just enjoy biffo and beers.

Your thoughts?

Topic #38054 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The people at the top in Australian TV just aren't big on basketball and the NBL over the years has done nothing to help that.

Reply #551559 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The fact that Jarred Hayne a former NRL star is playing in the NFL and this is the reason 7mate is airing those games makes this a poor example to begin your argument @Cute Man.

Reply #551562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They showed games last year too when there was no hayne. Poor example yourself

Reply #551566 | Report this post

Henry  
Years ago

I would have thought that a decision like this would come down to costs.

More people would probably watch the NBL than the NFL but the NFL would probably give 7mate the rights to show it in Australia dirt cheap as a form of promotion. The match itself is already being filmed so the costs to have it in Australia is just a satellite feed to start with.

Anyone who wants to show the NBL would have to pay production costs to start with which would be much more expensive than what 7mate would be paying.

And the other important factor is that they 7mate dont care about the ratings on a Monday morning anyway when the NFL feed come in. Not many people are watching anyway.
The NBL however want prime time Live at 7:30 which is the massive timeslot and no station is going to drop their shows to put the NBL on instead.

Reply #551568 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Guys, things would have to go wrong with some other sports for NBL to ever come to dominate prime time again.

Reply #551570 | Report this post

Cute Man  
Years ago

@Henry, yes good points about production costs and timeslots etc - but hence why I used NBA as a comparison for NFL - there is no FTA NBA coverage and the same positive factors for NFL would apply. Hence my query whether its more of a sport-related thing against basketball as opposed to just NBL.

Reply #551576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is already promoting itself as a HARDBALL league, so again the point is lost!

Reply #551579 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I thought One HD was supposed to become the prime sport channel but it is far from it. This is the platform NBl and WNBL need to be on.

Reply #551583 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

NBA is uneconomic to broadcast in Australia because lots of people watch it - the NBA can and do make real money out of its subscription service. It will only broadcast on Free to Air for fair value.

NFL on the other hand has maybe a tenth (or less) of the interest levels of NBA, and therefore the broadcast rights are dirt cheap. NFL make no real money out of it but have an interest in it being shown on Free to Air to raise interest levels in Australia (like the NBA did 30 years ago).

Reply #551586 | Report this post

Phobos64  
Years ago

FTA announcement coming very soon. One game a week, possibly on Sunday afternoon.

Reply #551587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You beauty! I'm still holding out hope for a streaming service too because I wasn't interested in getting Foxtel.

Reply #551628 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Sunday afternoon would probably require games to be pushed half an hour earlier, because 3-5PM AET won't cut it if there's overtime. Also, Rounds 2,6,8,13,14,16,17 don't have any Sunday games either.

Wednesday Night seems most likely if it was to happen, as they have a game every round (although Friday night would be another alternative)

Reply #551746 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Henry, I think you're right about cost and timing. Also, the NFL is a professional operation and the purchaser can bank on getting the right information at the right time, hassle-free. The cost would be the cost, no unexpected dramas as you might get with the NBL.

Reply #551754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti says the NBL are about to announce a game of the week on FTA TV and a deal with Sky in NZ too.

Reply #551767 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Nah, I think its two separate questions really.
The problem with the NBL is the cost of actually producing the show. It's simply far cheaper to buy "MASH" re-runs or some other "already packaged" sport.

The issue with the NBA, is that I understand Australians are big subscribers to the NBA's own service? So the question would be whether they can get more money selling subscriptions, or selling their packaged games dirt cheap to FTA.

Having said that, there might be something in what the OP says. The BIGGEST sport in NSW & QLD IS Rugby League, which is the most similar to NFL, so potentially it easy for League fans to identify with.

Reply #551833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:19 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754