Train
Years ago

Post Blitz thoughts

Just a few of the points that stuck with me from the Blitz Tournament....

Cairns look like the team to beat.
Perth are going to struggle from beyond the Arc.
There is some serious young guns this year - Hodgson, Kay, MacDonald, Sobey etc
This years import class is the best seen in a long long time.
WTF are New Zealand feeding their kids, their talent pool just keeps producing.
Tim Coneraad's game is getting bigger and bigger.

Topic #38056 | Report this topic

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Adelaide aren't going to be bottom dwellers is another thing the Blitz showed me. They may have lost a lot, but they looked like they already have some real cohesion going on. Will be deadly when the imports are good to go.

Reply #551525 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Adelaide were fun to watch in their first 2 games. Certainly will be competitive.
It's really hard to pick how teams will go from the Blitz Tournament. I got the idea a lot of teams had their poker face on and not wanting to show a lot.

Reply #551528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth defence and interior scoring is going to be scary/ perimeter shooting is the only issue.

Melbourne can score at will but cant play any defence.

Breakers are going to need someone to replace Webbster if he dosent return. Bartlet is not that person.

Crocs are going to struggle .

Reply #551529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought that Gibson had a very ordinary Blitz, Carlin looked good today for the Sixers (nice dunk), Sobey is an excitement machine, Teys was Teys, Kenyon looked serviceable hitting the three, but i need to see more in the penetration area. DJ was off, but will be fine, Peach was solid, Big Matt was good early, but went missing today, Creek showed glimpses just like every year, but struggled a lot also, Waxy was ok, had a solid game today (him and creek are too similar for my liking) I really want to see what Ebi will bring.

Reply #551530 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I agree with the young guns comment.
Sobey, Hodgson, Hill, Majok, Kay, Wynyard.

But McDonald isn't a young gun, he's 30 years old.

Reply #551532 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Haha my bad. Thought he was a rookie

Reply #551533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor form Train, McDonald is even a former Wildcat!

Reply #551538 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Meh, bite me :P

Reply #551540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs were a bit average - missing some pretty important pieces but I did think Maynard and Kay played better than expected
Jett was out of his depth at times - not sure he's the best choice - perhaps jamar Wilson would be a good pickup if it doesn't work out

Reply #551542 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Lets not forget the great free coverage the NBL organised online for the tournament! It was just light years better than what we've had online up until now and I think its another great sign that we might finally have the right people running the NBL!

Also, of the four games or so that I saw, there is a lot to like about the talent in the league this year. I actually think my Sixers have improved from last season, with a better balanced roster and yet I'm not sure they will make the top 4, because Melbourne and the Hawks have improved so much! The Kings have a lot more talent too, although thus far they don't appear to be playing well as a team.

Reply #551544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings were terrible. They are my pick for the wooden spooners even when childress! They lacked energy, cohesion and at times playing selfish basketball.

Reply #551545 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

United are going to be scary if they click this year. There's something rather terrorfying about a team loaded with Goulding and Blanchfield. Those 2 players alone have the potential to destroy opponents. Mind you they were loaded last year and failed.

Reply #551546 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

There's no stand out team. There are lots of teams who look really talented. This is the strongest NBL I've ever seen.

Each team has some question marks and some issues that could become weaknesses.

Reply #551549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne are legit - so many weapons and they seem to be very tight. Majok is a massive surprise. He seems to be such a quiet achiever and has a mean streak!
Cairns are much the same. Already clicking, the guys have been together for a season already so they know their style. They'll be tough.
Perth will be ok but I don't think they'll be as dominant as in the past.
NZ are an interesting one. They might struggle with continuity if their stars are injured and their roster changes. Wynyard, WOW, he's playing in the NZ high school champs next week!!! Ced Jackson is so classy and will win some games by himself.
Sydney are in a bit of trouble if you ask me. Khazzouh was good without being great, Childress didn't play but the problem might be with Thornton. He appears to be a ghost on D and is looking to get his at the other end. He could be a problem chemistry-wise. Jeromie Hill looks like he's been in the league for years!
Illawarra could be an interesting one. Penney looked good today, Coenraad Forman and Martin look like they've bought into Bevos system but the worry is Ogilvy and their depth. I think he led the Blitz in fouls and would have led the comp in whinging too. The Bevo factor makes them interesting!
Perth are Perth but they weren't so Perth without Martin. Their defensive spark wasn't quite there, but it will be. Jamaica hasn't found his feet yet and he seems to have thrown their balance off a bit. Prather is only good in open floor or with a lot of space. Could this be the year? No, their home court advantage is too strong.
Adelaide play so fast and have some serious athletes. I'm not quite sold on them yet but I can see them going on a win streak during the season. Hodgo looks serviceable. Will need a bit of time.
Crocs are in a different league and are already so injured! Schenscher, Young, Jett, Djeric, Conklin, Norton all missed time during the Blitz. Harry Froling and Nick Kay could be something interesting to watch. Jett is out of shape badly and looks to have a bad attitude too. And speaking of that, Conklin is not a leader! The Crocs looked better with Schenscher on the floor so that could be something that will lift them.

What a season we have coming up!

Reply #551550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I be a Tim Conraad fan?

Iv e always felt like he is ready to explode

Reply #551551 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Should have just named the thread Blitz thoughts.
This is a message board so the way people are going to contribute to it goes without saying I would have thought.

Reply #551552 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

NBL Dream Team has been made so much harder after this Blitz and goes to show that the talent in this league could easily extend by several more teams.

Look at Adelaide, they choose against Crawford that could still be serviceable for 10 minutes a game, Teys should be getting 20 minutes a game, Sobey looks a star and if he got 20 a game then that shouldn't raise many eyebrows, Hodgeson looks good for 15 and Waxy was a Boomer not that long ago and that's their BENCH!

I could add more but I wanted to raise a point on Jett, he always has looked out of shape ie in his YouTube footage and I thought he was brought in to keep Conklin happy and hopefully that's doing the job... But if Townsville had Thornton then I think they would be perceived as a far better side as he would give them the shooter they sorely need and he would get his numbers each night

Reply #551563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is a massive difference in pay between Thornton & Jett!!!

Reply #551571 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Illawarra still have Lisch to come into the team.
Penney didn't really play and Lisch didn't at all and they still looked dangerous.
Melbourne have the most weapons. And it looks like they fit together better this year.
I didn't see Cairns play, but on paper, with the continuity they have, they are a scary list. Worthington, Tragardh and Craig coming off the bench? Come on now!
They are my top 3. And I can't pick the order.
Perth will always be fighting for a playoff spot. They didn't have Martin, who glues everything together. So hard to judge them off the Blitz. They will improve throughout the season, I feel. Jawai is someone who could be game changing.
The next group are Sydney, Adelaide and NZ. Sydney will destroy teams at times. Childress and Khazzouh alone will beat teams.
It's hard to tell what you'll get from NZ. Webster gone leaves a hole. Pledger injured, so not sure what to expect, Abercrombie too. Charles doesn't look promising.
Adelaide are a bit not quite there. Ere didn't play the Blitz. McNeail can definitely shoot, hopefully he can do other things too. Gibbo was thoroughly disappointing, but we know what he can do, was kind of hoping his Boomer time would have him back firing. The 3 youngsters are the talking point. Creek is ready to be a full time starter and take that step that he's been promising for a couple years, but injury hasn't allowed. Hodgson was a pleasant surprise, Sobey has some serious game. DJ is back in his 'I'm the man on offence' role. Petrie is Petrie. Walker is pretty much a taller, older Creek. Teys will fall behind Sobey by season end, but Joey loves him.
Then you have Townsville. They just don't have nearly the depth of talent of the other clubs and should struggle. It feels different to other years, where they do well in spite of their list, their list just really isn't any good this year.

Reply #551574 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It is going to be hard to find any legal way of defending any big more mobile than a tree in the post without fouling.

There is going to be lots of living and dying by the three this year (possibly more living than dying).

The bemoaning of years' past that Australia does not produce any good shooters any more may now die down.

Townsville and for mine Sydney look out of the race before it has begun, Adelaide needs to show a bit more interest than it did after mid way through its second game not to join them.

Joey Wright meant it when he said that he wasn't concerned about winning or losing at the Blitz.

Cairns keep winning, and even after last year I still can't quite work out why. Like many of its players, good at everything without being exceptional at anything.

Every team will look different during the real season when their starting 5s start playing 25-30 minutes instead of 10-15 minutes.

Reply #551575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'It is going to be hard to find any legal way of defending any big more mobile than a tree in the post without fouling.'

^That statement is just plain wrong!

What would you rather see @XY, pushing, holding and arm grappling in the key?

Play defense, if you play from behind you do it at the cost of giving up the catch, keep your arms out and if the guy misses the shot you have a perfect box out position.

It isn't that hard to do XY, we want to see post players scoring, that is why the game was invented BTW!

Reply #551581 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I am ambivalent about the change in emphasis so long as the umpires are consistent about it.

That said, there were examples on the weekend of what I would call legal post defence with the offensive player initiating contact where fouls were called where I don't know what the defender could have done differently.

I raised it as a post Blitz thought because I think it will be intriguing to see how it develops in the real season.

Reply #551585 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(Warning: Long post!)

Some people are getting a little bit carried away. I'm a United member, and the fact that they won the Blitz means very little.

A couple of general points:

- There are a lot of teams who look good on paper. There is more talent in this season’s NBL than I’ve ever seen.
- It will ultimately come down to who has better team balance, who gels and finds some chemistry, and who has a good run with injuries.

A few points on each team:

-The Taipans, like the Cats, have exceptional depth in their front court- except they’ve probably got better balance in their lineup overall than Perth. They are well coached, disciplined as always and will be difficult to score against. However, the number one reason they made the Grand Final last season was a bloke named Scottie. Is Markel Starks the new Scottie? His stats look solid. I only saw a few minutes of him and I wasn’t impressed. Although it’s clear that he’s streaky, and I saw a few minutes when he was very cold instead of hot. Time will tell.

When you get into the playoffs you need a genuine go to guy who can put the team on his back and win them the game. In the Grand Final, Wilbekin went cold and Cedric Jackson was that man for the Breakers. Who will the man be for the Taipans? Beal has done this in the past for Perth. Childress, Warrick, Goulding all look to have the ability. Cairns looks to me a lot like the Freo Dockers in the AFL. Well coached, disciplined, work to a plan and generally successful. But winning a championship *usually* requires genuine top end elite class in any sport. Having a very strong *team* is essential, but only gets you so far.

-United will have a starting 5 with all five guys legitimately being able to put up 25 points on any given night. Incredible fire power. Incredible outside shooting with 4 of the 5 starters being capable of lighting it up and hitting 6 or 7 3’s in a match. But- who will take a back seat? Blanchfield, perhaps? Will they be willing to sacrifice their individual games for the sake of the team? Will they gel as a team and find a balance where they’re willing to make the extra pass because let’s fact it, there’s a few guys there who like putting up shots? The signs from the Blitz here are good, but the question remains about how they’ll go under the serious pressure of the regular season.

Also, Majok impressed with 21 boards yesterday. But is he enough of a rim protector? Almost every team has an impressive big who can pound it down low and kill you near the hoop. Conklin, Jawai, Johnson, Khazzough, Childress, Ogilvy. Traghardh, Do Majok, Patton, Kickert and Warrick have the ability to stop these guys? In the Blitz, coaches are trying different things but in the regular season one thing will be on their minds: Winning. The team lacks legit size and muscle- Majok is 6’9 and skinny- Kickert was exposed regularly last season and the league’s bigs are much better this season. Do they have the defensive skills to counter the beasts near the hoop?

Perth’s potential issues with outside shooting have already been discussed plenty. I expect teams will play zone against them all season.

Illawarra- can they defend? Played a nice press against United for a few minutes. But are they physical enough, and good enough defensively to survive in a half court grind?

Sydney- look to me to have one of the most well balanced rosters in the comp. Saw a couple of minutes of Jeromie Hill and he looks solid. Hard to read into the Blitz because they were missing the best player in the competition. Yes, it’s only pre season but getting embarrassed by 36 points - including 26 point first half deficit- is never a good sign. Outside shooting could be an issue perhaps. The general question on Sydney is just the standard one- will they gel?

NZ- Impressive in the Blitz given how undermanned they were. But at the end of the day the equation for me is simple: Get Webster back and they’re still favourite or close to it. Lose Webster and keep Bartlett and I think they’ll miss the playoffs- that’s how good the league appears this season.

Adelaide- Didn’t see much of them. Hodgson is reportedly ready to play some minutes. Johnson’s never been the best defender, and like United, contending with the beasts on the inside could be an issue. If Hodgson can play 10 or 15 solid minutes a game to give DJ a spell, and if imports McNeill and Ebi can push the ball well enough like Ervin and Wilson of years gone by then this team can follow the fast paced, high scoring Wright trademark and is a chance at top 4. But I still rate them very much an outsider if you’re talking about the championship.

Reply #551589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok aint skinny bro

Reply #551604 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Skinny might've been an exaggeration, but he certainly isn't big. He looks very small standing next to the true bigs of the NBL in Ogilvy, Jawai, Burston, Pledger.

I saw a little bit of Majok and I did like what I saw, but the jury is still out on this question for me- how well he will defend the rim against those types of guys. Plus the smaller or more mobile ones (who are mostly still bigger than him) eg Johnson, Khazzough, Childress, Conklin.

Reply #551611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok looks reasonably solid to me, certainly thicker than an Ogilvy type.

Reply #551619 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah but Ogilvy is about 7 foot isn't he? While Majok would be lucky to be 6 foot 9...

Reply #551621 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm not overly concerned about the Kings re: the Blitz results, but I would have liked to have seen Markovic and Carter do better. I felt good about our 3-headed PG rotation with Markovic/Cadee/Carter, but only Cadee has performed, with Markovic and Carter both looking pretty woeful.

If the refereeing is consistent with what we'll see in the season, it might be worthless having a legit 5 man like Khazzouh in this league if they are going to pick up ticky-tack fouls every time the opposing team goes inside the paint. Better off having an undersized energy guy.

From what little I saw of Warrick, he could be the most dangerous player in the comp if he can stay healthy and out of foul trouble.

Reply #551636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did he go again Khazzouh and Brandt yesterday? He aint skinny bro and if teams keep underestimating him, they will be proven wrong.

Reply #551640 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I hope he keeps that form going. I watched 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there at The Blitz so I never saw a full game but I was impressed when I saw Majok posting up hard and scoring around the hoop- with so many jump shooters on this team it'll be fantastic if he can add some balance by being an inside target (and Warrick too)

Rim protection and interior D generally was a weakness last season. So since Majok is a new guy it will seriously help the team if he can bring that.

Reply #551641 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And rebounding too. Kickert is not a good rebounder for a 6 foot 10 guy. So Majok's 21 boards is a reason to be optimistic about him

Reply #551642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fair enough reasonings!

Reply #551650 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I wasn't referring to Majok at all... talking about the state of bigs in the NBL in general.

Reply #551656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was impressed with Majok. Seriously if you were looking through the college ranks and overseas to fill Melbourne's rebounding deficiencies from last year you'd be hard pressed to find a better option than Majok, as a cheap local player with a low points rating.

As for those saying Cairns are the current title favourites ... I'm not so sure. Their cohesiveness and chemistry is definitely their strength, and they defied a lot of expectations last season. I just wonder if their backcourt of Starks, Bruce and Heuir lacks a bit of dynamism compared to a backcourt like Melbourne's (Holt, Goulding). Their frontcourt depth is impressive but also lacks athleticism, and if Burston is injured or in foul trouble do they have any rim protection?

Will be an interesting season for sure.

Reply #551661 | Report this post

Matthew D'occhio  
Years ago

Just a personal prediction for the ladder, don't take it too seriously.

1. Melbourne 20-8
2. New Zealand 17-11
3. Sydney 16-12
4. Adelaide 15-13 (%)
5. Perth 15-13
6. Illawarra 14-14
7. Cairns 13-15
8. Townsville 10-18

MVP: Josh Childress
Leading Scorer: Chris Goulding
Defensive POTY: Ogilvy
Rookie of the Year: Majok Majok

Reply #551668 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Top scorers from the Blitz:

22.0 J Cadee
20.7 S Holt
20.0 T Coenraad
18.3 E Bartlett
17.5 K McNeail
16.7 C Goulding
16.7 M Thornton
Some notable omissions though including Childress, Beal, Ere, Lisch, etc.

Reply #551680 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Title is as wide open as I can remember it ever being.

There's 8 teams. I consider one of them to be no chance, another to be a veeery long shot, and 6 of them a legitimate chance.

And those 6 are hard to separate. I can't see a clear favourite, or two clear favourites.

Reply #551681 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Although if I had to pick a top 4 I'd go Melbourne, Sydney, Cairns and Illawarra in that order.

The potential problems with Perth's team seem a little more serious than the others, and I'm just making a gamble that Webster is still over in the US. Season starts next week, even if he misses the first month it could have a serious impact on NZ's season.

Reply #551682 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Actually switch Illawarra and Cairns

Melb, Sydney, Illawarra then Cairns.

Starks stat lines from the Blitz (and the bits I saw of him) do not impress me, when you consider he played against Perth, NZ and Townsville- 3 teams whose back courts were seriously undermanned at the Blitz.

If Starks is for real (Like Holt clearly is for Melbourne, for example) then I would've expected him to take those teams to school.

Reply #551683 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

But of course, we all thought Dennis was going to be a superstar due to his pre season work 2 years ago. It wasn't to be when he played a year later.

So we cant't read *too* much into these things.

Reply #551685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarrid Frye might disagree ;)

Reply #551688 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ look a lot different at both ends of the floor with Alex Pledger at Starting Centre and Tom Abercrombie at SF.

Cedric Jackson is still one of the very best players to play in the NBL.

Charles Jackson wasn't bought in to be a star import, he got the job because Vickerman saw him as a bigger Mika Vukona and much like Mika he picked up some quick fouls.

Shane McDonald definitely looked like he belongs in the NBL. He directed traffic, hit some threes and I loved that lefty floater, lets hope that wasn't a Ben Allen pre-season performance.

Tai Wesley was looking like he put in some work in the offseason and turned up looking ready to play. I think he has good shot of 6MOTY, especially with Ebekwe gone.

Reply #551693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't believe Markell Starks was a joint MVP of the Blitz. Holt definitely deserved it, Gliddon was very good and if Jackson had played 3 games he would have been right up there. But Starks was not great!

Reply #551694 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Presumably a Brownlow medal style voting system - not many players played 3 full games across the weekend for any club.

Reply #551724 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, Boti implied in his latest article that the refs voted post-game.

Reply #551751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings were terrible. They are my pick for the wooden spooners even when childress! They lacked energy, cohesion and at times playing selfish basketball.

lol, it was a pre-season tournament.

Reply #551753 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, Boti implied in his latest article that the refs voted post-game.

The NBL outright stated it in their article announcing the winners:
Each team played three games over the five-day event in Townsville, with the referees nominating a 3-2-1 vote to the most valuable player after each game.

Reply #551762 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

As I suspected. Refs have NFI about the game. Starks was shite.

Reply #551838 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:17 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754