Matthew
Years ago

Music during NBL games

I just read Boti's latest piece on the Music that was present at the Blitz.

It got me to wondering about the past couple of years at Perth Arena and the level of the audio and selection of songs. From memory, i dont remember much music at Perth Wildcats games at the old Entertainment Centre. If it was there It wasnt memorable. Sometimes though at the Wildcats games its just omnipresent.

Is this true at other teams games? Does Boti have a point that we dont need music being played during the game?

If I can only keep one, Ill take the Voodoo dance.

Topic #38071 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

At 36ers games, there are a few songs that many fans would associate very strongly with 36ers games and especially particular moments. Starts of various quarters, the end, etc. It'd be sad to lose that. But I think they just need to be more selective during passages of game play and leave most of the other music to breaks in play.

At least in Adelaide, the amount of music is dictated by someone other than the music person themselves. Wonder if the new NBL has adjusted their directives on music at all?

Reply #551893 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

I am totally with Boti on this one. The game is the thing, not the music, which often smothers the game and prevents the crowd interacting with each other &/or the game.

Like a lot of things, a little bit well used can add a great deal. Too much can be - and in this case often is - toxic, making the 'game night experience' a negative one with the very real potential to drive/keep people away from games.

Reply #551900 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

It was non-stop last year at Brisbane as well but Boti said it was great and enhanced the atmosphere but now he hates it?

Reply #551901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It should be used to compliment the action on the floor or fill gaps in the game, not to compete with it

Reply #551904 | Report this post

no more  
Years ago

get rid of it, its unprofessional

Reply #551906 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I'm going to back myself and say that the team of myself and my mate "Wild 1" are the best basketball sound technicians/DJs in the country.

We understand that music is to be played to compliment the game.

We also understand that clubs are selling game night entertainment - not basketball (at least that's what the Wildcats say they do).

Music should not be played all game. My old band conductor used to say the best part of music is the silence. It's true with basketball.

A lot has to do with timing and not so much what you play, but when you play it.

The Blitz soundtrack was extremely dated. Granted they had the hard task of playing music for 4 days it wasn't going to be easy, but the just used the same soundtrack over and over.

If you want a "fresh" product you can't be playing random "hits" from decades ago when there's a whole bunch of current pop hits at your disposal.

There's always the issue of differing tastes of music amongst fans and you'll never avoid that. But the best way to tackle it is to not be biased to one genre or era of music and have a broad mix of un-intrusive music.

With the Wildcats it's not so much the guys doing the music, but more so management telling them what they want played.

We'd love to do the Wildcats games - but they have their own agenda.

Reply #551916 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I notice they got rid of Moscow last year. Which was the 'Let's finish the job!' song when we went on a run in the last quarter, to get the crowd firing for the rest of the night. The crowd used to feed off of that song, I'm not sure why they stopped it.

Reply #551919 | Report this post

I never notice the music played at games so it doesn't bother me but if there are heaps and heaps of complaints, year after year, I don't see why some of the worst offending clubs (like Perth) don't just try a "silent" game or two and see what the response is.

NBA teams play the well known melodies during play, and blast the proper songs during timeouts. I found that to be distracting as you go from normal crowd noise to 100 decibel dance music at the flick of a switch.

Reply #551922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But one of the best moments at the wildcats is when they play welcome to the jungle i think at the start of the fourth quarter

Reply #551925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slightly off topic but does anyone know of lachie reid will be back courtside announcing this season?

Reply #551926 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

if there are heaps and heaps of complaints, year after year, I don't see why some of the worst offending clubs (like Perth) don't just try a "silent" game or two and see what the response is.
Perth's music died during a game for a few minutes last season, and its return was greeted with cheers. I can't imagine the response to an entire game of silence would be good.

And really, you can't go fully silent. It's too much a part of expectations for a lot of people, and there are songs that are tied really closely to certain things in the game, and you don't want to lose those.

NBA teams play the well known melodies during play, and blast the proper songs during timeouts. I found that to be distracting as you go from normal crowd noise to 100 decibel dance music at the flick of a switch.
The other thing with that is the game starts, and everything suddenly goes silent. I went to the AFL grand final in 2012, and they had music playing all afternoon before the game, and then that countdown thing, and then the siren, and then...dead silence. It sounded terrible.

But one of the best moments at the wildcats is when they play welcome to the jungle i think at the start of the fourth quarter
They do that in the final minutes, when a win is locked up. Usually after Get Up Offa That Thing, assuming they have time for both.

Reply #551927 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Slightly off topic but does anyone know of lachie reid will be back courtside announcing this season?
Ten no longer have the contract, and he did the MSBL grand final, so it's certainly possible, but there's been nothing said one way or the other AFAIK.

Reply #551928 | Report this post

Not complete silence, koberulz, but just a few beats and melodies to get the crowd cheering.

But you may be right, the 10k+ Perth fans may be in it for the music. Who knows?

Reply #551929 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Just have less of it and at times that suit it. Like others have said, some teams have certain songs played at certain times and it gets the crowd up and about. Keep that.

What they can cut down on is the need to have constant music from start to finish with a different track playing for each change in play during the game. Some silence is welcomed, and will allow the crowd to make their own noise if the game is good enough.

Ive been to a couple of NBA games where they only play organ music, and have to say - I think music in basketball is needed because when the crowd is dead, the atmosphere is terrible. Just don't have it for 40 minutes!

Reply #551931 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Music can work at basketball games but it has to be limited and you need to have a good DJ that can read s crowd and know how to adjust the music being played to compliment the game. You can't just throw any button monkey in who goes in with a set track listing.

Keep it to building up to start of game/quarters and to ride the crowd at critical moments. Don't want to here top 40 dribble blasting through a whole game ffs

Reply #551933 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Music was absolutely overwhelming at the United vs LSU preseason game at Hisense. It was as if the basketball was a secondary thing. If this is a sign for the real season then I won't be attending as many as I'd like to.

Keep it to a minimum when the ball is in play. I think I recall the Oceania game vs NZ had far less music than an NBL game

Reply #551946 | Report this post

Cute Man  
Years ago

koberulz, what is the song they play at the start of the fourth quarter?

Reply #551948 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Joker and the Thief, isn't it?

Reply #551950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti stop being an old man.. Music is the part of creating environment and creating an experience for fans.. Not all people who go to the games love basketball like we do. It's the one thing that unites the different generations at a game. The problem isn't the music... It's the people playing it at the wrong times and the wrong genre. A perfectly timed song during the game adds an element of emotion to it. Also the standard of basketball in the NBL needs all the help it can get. If teams sold the experience that is a basketball game you might increase numbers by drawing the borderline sports fans. Don't blame the music blame the people playing it.

Reply #551952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#952 'the standard of basketball in the NBL needs all the help it can get' = you're an idiot

Reply #551955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I got the impression that Boti's main complaint was the loudness of the music.

Reply #551962 | Report this post

Megadunk  
Years ago

Its why I stopped going to games - impossible to get behind the team when DJ Otzi is blasting out

Reply #551997 | Report this post

Stackhouse  
Years ago

So are all the teams playing too much music? Or just a few?

Reply #552027 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754