you must be joking
Years ago

entry cost for u14 nationals, Too expensive ??

who sets the entry cost?

adults $15 day

children $10 day

Family pass for the wk $155

i think it is too expensive.

Topic #38077 | Report this topic

?  
Years ago

I am not involved and just having an uneducated guess -

there seems to be a lot more that goes on that week - live stats, things are a more 'formal" so no doubt more people are involved and possibly not all volunteers.

I would imagine the association running them would look to break even - otherwise it will die if ran at a loss.

My kids never got the opportunity - so look it as a once in a lifetime cost that was worth it.

Reply #552013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no live stats at 14s no stats at 14s at all to much pressure on them to perform at a young age.
but you are right the clubs who host them do it as a money raiser a lot of work by a huge amount of volunteers for a little return. Think the price is in line with what BA recommended but when you think that $15 gets you in all day and you can see multiple games and at 14s the kids play 2 games each day I believe it is good value for money. However when added into the cost of travel and uniforms and accom for the kids and parents who go to watch then it does become a costly exercise. My kid never got the opportunity either, it might be expensive but it is something they will never forget for the rest of their lives.

Reply #552014 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

This has come up before.

$15 a day is a little expensive for an adult.

But the weekly family ticket looks like fair value.

How long does 14 go for? I think U16 and U18 nationals is 7 days?

Reply #552020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The kids don't play two games a day, maybe once during the tournament they might. And general parent spectators aren't interested in watching all the other games, so $15 is effectively for 1 game.

Way too much. It's under 14's. And besides whoever said the club who runs it gets little return. They wouldn't do it for the love of the game, they do it for the money, so there would be plenty in it for them.

It's over the top IMO.

Reply #552022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The host association pays a fee to BA, so the entry cost is one way of recouping that. BA employ people to run the various national championships over the course of the year, so that is a significant expense. The alternative would be to charge a team entry fee. I would prefer the spectators be paying a bit more, because if you can afford to travel to watch your kid compete at Nationals, you're doing ok. Those who really struggle to afford just to send the kid can't afford to travel and aren't hit with spectator fees, whereas a team entry fee would drive up their costs, too.

The one day pass does seem exorbitant, but the weekly pass is reasonable. And if you're local and annoyed at the cost of wandering into your own stadium, volunteer and get in for free or just be glad you haven't had to pay airfares like everyone else.

Reply #552024 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

BA set the entry fee pricing and yes it is expensive.

Scoretable officials are volunteers.

Reply #552044 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

This pricing regime is designed to extract as much money as possible from the family of the players. If they have traveled to the event location they would most likely attend each day. For someone else with a passing interest in seeing the games paying $15 entry to watch U/14s play is very steep.

I suppose to bring it into perspective though my daughter's dance eisteddfod charge $9 per adult for a session when there are 3 sessions a day for a week. For any session that your child is involved in they will probably be on stage for only 2 minutes. Either side of the performances in their division you may have to put up with the agony of watching an U/9 division with 20 tap dancers in a row. At that point paying $15 to see some basketball would be sheer luxury!

Reply #552045 | Report this post

Stats  
Years ago

There are stats kept. Press stat icon near results and wella.

Reply #552049 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

All of these tournaments are great value if you are looking to watch and enjoy several games of decent quality junior basketball, but if you are there only to watch one game and leave I can see how you may feel a little ripped off.

Personally I have always found it worth the money...

Reply #552050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the finals going to be streamed?

Maybe for the final..
Melbourne v Keilor
Bulleen v manly

Reply #552061 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Is it free for parents of players? I have no problem with non-related spectators just wanting to watch the game paying, but parents have to fork out enough already and shouldn't have to pay an entry fee to watch their kids play.

Reply #552132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really don't understand this thread. Parents throw money around in all sorts of places that have very little merit - talent ID camps and development camps and school teams and trials for things their kids won't be selected for. If you can afford to take a week off work and travel to Nationals, you can afford to pay the damn entry fee. And if it's that much of a problem, put your hand up to do some score bench duty during the week, or volunteer with your kid's team all year as a coach or manager, and you won't have to pay it.

Has anyone whining about the entry fee actually been involved in running a Nationals? The complete lack of regard for the amount of work that goes in is really depressing. Random strangers should volunteer their time to do bench, wipe the floors, clean the change rooms, announce the games, coordinate the opening and closing ceremonies and man the (no doubt overpriced) canteen for the benefit of your kid, but god forbid you make a substantive contribution.

Reply #552139 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:11 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754