koberulz
Years ago

On-court branding by NBL clubs

https://twitter.com/SydneyKings/status/651242401827151872

So the centre-circle NBL logo is back for another year, along with various other league sponsors around the court. Including, most notably, the locations Melbourne United have been putting their team logo.

Which leaves essentially no court space for team branding. If the league can buy centre-circle decals for every team in the league and force them not to use that space for sponsorships, they could at the very least make each centre circle contain the logo of the home team.

Townsville, Adelaide, Cairns and Sydney are the only teams who even manage to get their team colours on the court, IIRC. And that's only true of Sydney at the Entertainment Centre. Hisense has those default blue-green out-of-bounds areas, NZ, Perth, Illawarra the Cage and Margaret Court have blank out-of-bounds areas. Adelaide have been deprived of their centre-circle team logo for the past two years.

To me, the fact that you can watch a game, look at the court and have absolutely no idea which team is at home is a problem. It's probably not worth the expense of losing a sponsor, but the NBL's insistence on their logo at centre court negates that argument.

Topic #38109 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm in two minds about this. The teams never effectively used the centre circle for team branding. Their logos were always tiny, apart from the Sixers. Should really have been oversized logos that are in your face like in NCAA (think those overbearing logos that splash out from the centre like Kansas or Kansas State). That plus league logo on the periphary would be ideal.

Reply #552477 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

Are you taking the piss or are you just trying to find things to whinge about?

So there is 2 ways to watch a game, either you are there, and in that case Id assume you know what city you are in so the 'who's home game is it dilemma' isn't a problem

The other way is on TV and Id suggest that you will be able to work it out pretty quickly from the scoreboard, the commentators, the crowd or perhaps even which team is wearing their home uniform.

Seriously if you think that not having a teams logo in the middle of the court is a major issue then wow the rest of your life must be pretty cruisy

Reply #552488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow - koberulz is as neurotic as they come and that is a pretty standard topic for him. We've learned to accept him for who he is.

Reply #552490 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The other way is on TV and Id suggest that you will be able to work it out pretty quickly from the scoreboard, the commentators, the crowd or perhaps even which team is wearing their home uniform.
Not everybody who turns an NBL game on is going to be an NBL fan. If a casual viewer stumbles across a game while channel-surfing, they're not going to know home uniforms, or whatever. This is also true for context-free highlights.

Everyone rightly got sick of all teams wearing almost-identical uniforms (although some of the designs we've seen since then make me miss those days), and this is no different. Teams should have their own branding and identity, rather than everything looking exactly the same.

Reply #552498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK doing everything right hopefully for 2016-17 once everyting is settled they seriously revamp every team's court flooring decals and uniforms as they don't really have that ooomph factor on TV.

Make those two things really classy (integrate sponsor logos on uniforms properly) and it will all look super slick.

I would say going by the design of the league rebranding LK are definitely capable of delivering on this, the issue is wrestling control of the team branding away to HQ to make sure it looks professional along with the league look.

Reply #552501 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Different people's mileage will vary when determining how important they think this is, but FWIW I agree that it's a good thing for the casual viewer to be able to easily identify the court.
I know it's just a detail, but why not get the details right.

Reply #552506 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

every teams court should be forced to look like the NSEC :p

Reply #552509 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Just paint the city name along the baseline.

Reply #552513 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBA teams seem to be making a bigger deal about court branding these days. Might be worth following suit.

They appear to dedicate the centre circle to club branding and the baselines for city name, I think.

I imagine they have the luxury of not selling every square inch to sponsors though.

Reply #552516 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

True, but the centre circle isn't being used for sponsorship anymore anyway. When it was, I didn't mind. But if it's going to be a sponsor-free zone, it should be club branding not league branding.

Reply #552517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz.....just stop mate, you are really starting to worry people. Just run with it, the league is on a high, ride the wave!!

Reply #552522 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Hey, things are great, let's not bother doing anything to improve!" was the mindset that almost killed the league in the 90s.

I'll pass.

Reply #552523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

better courts, jerseys AND hotter cheerleaders

Reply #552536 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Hahahah Mystro! Yes our NSEC is standout

Reply #552546 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Mystro, you sound like a intelligent and keen NZ basketball fan, why the hell haven't NSEC management installed new lighter floor boards yet after all these years. Surely it cannot be a financial issue.....??

In all honesty it really brings down NZ basketball, it presents itself so bloody ugly and unprofessional on TV, beyond a joke actually. The stadium when full feels and looks like a place with great energy and atmosphere, it's such a disappointment about the floor.

Reply #552552 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd be happy to have a team nickname on the sideline on every court, leaving room for sponsors on the baseline.

So does this mean that 'West Australian, newspaper advertising isn't in the center of the floor

Reply #552575 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So does this mean that 'West Australian, newspaper advertising isn't in the center of the floor
It wasn't there last year, either:

Reply #552577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSEC should be banned the floor is a joke.

Reply #552704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could just write "thanks Larry" somewhere and that would cover all sponsors.

Reply #552708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When I am watching a herd of Zebras and Lions turn up, it doesn't take too long to work out who has the home court in the jungle!

Reply #552709 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Mystro, you sound like a intelligent and keen NZ basketball fan, why the hell haven't NSEC management installed new lighter floor boards yet after all these years. Surely it cannot be a financial issue.....??

In all honesty it really brings down NZ basketball, it presents itself so bloody ugly and unprofessional on TV, beyond a joke actually. The stadium when full feels and looks like a place with great energy and atmosphere, it's such a disappointment about the floor."

are we talking about the same court? the court at the NSEC is beautiful....

Reply #552729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wtf Mystro, drugs are bad mmkay

Reply #552740 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Looks like they've nicked the keyways too, at least in Adelaide.

Reply #552858 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754