Isaac
Years ago

New NBL TV ad

Topic #38126 | Report this topic

hm  
Years ago

It's fairly cool. I was underwhelmed by last night's coverage though. Looks like the same product shown the same way on screen

Reply #552952 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, ad is nice, really like it considering they didn't have any game footage to use. I thought the coverage last night was bland too, but give them time, they were operating from a complete blank canvas last night.

Reply #552956 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, like the add but I agree with hm on the coverage so far (being week one of course), and I have never though the #Hardball was a great way to go.

Having said that, we are stuck with it, so I am moving on...

What is it about this add that works and how can we extract that coolness to an NBL game coverage.

Sound

Atmosphere

Excitement

These are the key elements (to start with) that I thought were lacking in some way last night for the NBL opener.

How can we improve on these, well for a start the sound quality can be acoustically improved and music coordinated to suit but not being an expert on this I can't exactly say how it would be done.

The atmosphere can improve right from the get-go, when players are introduced. How hard would it be to get the lighting right and do intro's in the dark for example?

Get the commentary right and it will add to the the ecxitement...

Reply #552963 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I thought last night was OK, clearly the new commentary team needs to gel, there were some moments with heal and Hudson talking over each other, but give it a few weeks and they should be fine.

I thought the general production was ok though, I think people have their standards set too high from the NBA. Its never going to look exactly like the NBA, not enough money, smaller arenas, smaller crowds etc. It just isn't possible.

Even Euro basketball for the most part is far off the NBA in terms of facilities etc.

Reply #552964 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Last night was OK, but over the course of the season OK won't be near good enough to achieve the ratings the NBL needs ahead of the review of the deal.

We've got to give it time though, hopefully it will improve a lot as the year wears on, with game footage woven into the coverage along with interviews and features etc.

But a big thing for me that can be done right away is turn down the effects mikes. Why is watching an NBL game on TV an assault on your ears when this isn't the case watching any other basketball comp?

The other thing is time-outs. Don't cross to the huddles for the full time-out every time, its not that interesting for most. Show an interview, or highlights from the game, and then show interesting snippets from the time-out, or occasionally go to the full time-out.

Reply #552971 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I hope the NBL is listening. There should be full player interviews done before all games with interesting anecdotes that don't have to always be about the specific game in question. Something about J Chills shoe collection could even suffice during a break.

Here is an article on it all posted last night which echoes our thoughts.

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/year-one-begins-pros-cons-fox-sports-first-nbl-broadcast/

Reply #552975 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I remixed the video to give it a bit more flavour (IMO).

https://streamable.com/fzgy

Reply #552995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something + Drake = Something worse than before

Reply #553004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I appreciate that you probably put some work into your vid RMQ, but that is just awful.

Reply #553015 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Haha hey no probs - everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Reply #553019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

remix was ramarqable (NOT!) LOL

Reply #553086 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754