Ditto
Years ago

FOX new NBL team

Just read an article by Boti talking about Rd 1 of the nbl and notice there was a link(below) headling shane heal and those who are calling the nbl games this season.

I was shock to read AFL & NRL are now calling NBL games.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THAT!!

Love to get your thoughts after reading the article.

http://bit.ly/1Z9Imsf

Topic #38138 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

See the existing thread titled "Fox Sports confirm NBL commentators"

Reply #553334 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have you listened to them? Hudson did the Adelaide game with Heal and was very good. He's a pro and has done other sports after all.

Reply #553344 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Hudson did pretty well, who ever the bloke was last night was shocking.

Reply #553346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bloke with no basketball exp was very good last night. CJ Bruton was a glaring issue with the telecast, especially in the first half.

Reply #553348 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Funny how people see things differently. Hudson was one of the worst play-by-play commentators I've ever heard! I couldn't believe how little he knew about how to call a basketball game. Sounded like he'd never worked in commentary either as couldn't fill like a pro.

Russell last night has obviously followed the NBL a bit over the years and sounded to me like he knew the flow of the game pretty well.

Unfortunately CJ Bruton had his mike down too low and early on had very little to say. He did improve, let's hope he gets that enthusiasm up from the start of his next game and they get his mike up too! Heal was solid on Weds in what was a pretty average game to call.

Reply #553351 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Give CJ a go, its literally his first game ever isnt it... The other guy might know what he's talking about but his style of commentary was all wrong I thought. It doesn't need to be a pass by pass commentary.

Reply #553355 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

AFL/Footy commentators have their strength.

I think they will get better as the season goes on - but there are little things that really annoy me.

It makes a basketball game not feel like a basketball game. Saying things like "passes it to Weigh who is un-marked", when most bball savvy commentators would say "un-guarded".

It's a little thing, and I'm trying not to be too precious about it - as at the end of the day I'm in that bball minority that includes die hard fans that'll watch (and complain) everything.

If casual new viewers are OK with it then that is all that matters for now.

But yes, it's infuriating to here a dunk called a "Smash down Splash down".

It's the little nuances that the Foot Commentators miss out on and I dislike how they use footy terms in a bball game.

I do like how they put emotion and hype behind what players do though. It adds more meaning to each play. just needs to be complimented with basketball Ebonics.

In time it will happen.

Reply #553357 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Last nights guy got so many names wrong he couldn't have followed the league much at all. It was terrible, rather CJ any day.

Reply #553358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Voss, Warren Smith & Matt Russell has NO idea about calling basketball. How can the Fox/NBL allow this to happen. WHAT A JOKE!!

NO nrl or afl team will accept a NBL player calling a NRL game!

Right when i thought the NBL is heading in the right direction they make this monumental mistake which will have a huge effect on how the nbl is received by viewers who will hear 2 versions of basketball game and walk away confused instead of been excited about watching the next game!!

I can only assume those at Fox selecting the callers are non basketball people who seat in their office chair and have never been to a basketball game and telling the nbl we are in charge of coverage.

Reply #553361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andy

My brother and I grew up watching CJ but i had to turn down the volume during the game to avoid hearing to him.

Im sorry mate he was ATROCIOUS!!

Reply #553362 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Both non NBL guys have be brilliant and for the average fan who loves there other sports codes, probably makes it easier for them to watch and relate too. Its the non commentary former legends of the game that is the issue. Even in the NBA, not every great player is worthy of a mic, CJ is a real worry, and the league and coverage can't afford to carry guys until they get better.

Reply #553364 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I must agree on something here, that is the fact that they do need to source former NBL players or at least people who have been involved in the NBL and who have some potential for commentary.

Reason is that when I look at the A-League, NRL and AFL that is what I see, they are developing past players and coaches by combining them with seasoned pros.

The end result over time is that we should get a decent team of NBL commentators, we just have to have some patience in this process (at least I hope this is the process)...

Reply #553366 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Funny how people see things differently.

Haha, that's about the only thing I'd agree with in that post. I thought Hudson was OK, had obviously at least done some research. Heal was good too.

CJ was just horrible. No other word for it. Horrible. And when the other guy early on referred to a turnover as a "handover" I knew we were in for a long night.

Reply #553367 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Commentators and production have been underwhelming. They have basically just given us last years production plus a bunch of inexperienced commentators. I am not over-the-moon at the NBL or Fox Sports at the moment. There needs to be improvements, specifically to production, or the NBL wont reach their goals.

Reply #553370 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

@Anon...I never said I liked CJ's commentating but would much prefer a quiet mute like him than some Idiot commentator who doesn't know the names of players let alone the rules or lingo of the game. I felt embarrassed watching/listening to it.

Reply #553380 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Lets all stop whinging, calm down and let Larry and co. sort this out. He knows what he wants to see and what he has promised us all and he knows what we are getting in the first 2 games is well short of that.

Reply #553382 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Surely it cant be that hard to get a selection of ex Australian basket ballers together for the commentary as a whole.

Reply #553384 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The advantage of the afl and nrl callers is that they have quality and class, no matter what people say there's no basketball commentators that have it in Australia outside of John Casey/Heal/Gaze.

The disadvantage is they don't know bball that well, but if they commentate long enough they'll get there. Some of the best commentators have done both NBL and AFL historically - look at dennis cometti, Clinton Grybas.

Reply #553390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree about the number of commentators, but I'd like to know why Casey, Carfino and Gaze aren't on that list. At least they know the game!

Reply #553395 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think Carfino is busy in a CEO type role, Gaze is supposedly an LK veto (one of the SEN radio guys argued this) and i'm not sure about Casey.

Reply #553399 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Boy oh boy ...woweeeeeee

Reply #553402 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Gotta love BT!

Reply #553403 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

BT is horrendous, both as an AFL and as an NBL commentator

Reply #553406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ratings are in and the panic button needs to be mashed asap.

Just 18k for the Wed season opener and just over 4k for last nights game.

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/38134-nbl-last-night-under-42k-on-tv/#p553388

Reply #553418 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No it doesn't. There won't be good ratings till it gets onto one of the main Fox Sports channels. Both the NBL and Fox would be well aware of that.

Reply #553421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18k is strong for NBL on pay tv. Clearly you have no idea. 4k is low though. Plus it's on FSN not the main channels.

"The advantage of the afl and nrl callers is that they have quality and class"

rofl sorry AFL/NRL comms suit only their sports, they aren't the type of professionals that you can slot into any sport (like some of the top American commentators). quality and class? NO!

Reply #553424 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Speak for yourself, think of Cometti, Grybas, McAveney types.

Do you actually think the NBL TV commentators are more competent to a professional product than Hudson, Russell etc.? The answer is no

Reply #553439 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Every pro starts somewhere KET, and Tom King was excellent, he is certainly a better basketball caller than those guys and he was very professional.

Reply #553441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most AFL callers aren't Cometti or a Grybas. Most are medoicre and LOL at Bruce he is a spluttering geriatric who always ends a statement with a question

Reply #553443 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

I am just happy that I can watch every 36ers game in high quality vision than the odd game on 10 or the waste of bandwidth of NBL.TV that has been served up over the past several years. The players had all their names on their backs, and the scoreboard worked, eventually. Some people are just too precious.

Basketball player and fan since 1965

Reply #553447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok Boti.

The point is to get mainstream back into following the league the TV product has to be really slick.

Reply #553449 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You can't judge someone just because they're an AFL or NRL commentator, look at the 2010 NBL coverage, Brian Taylor was terrible while Dwayne Russell was very solid. New callers will take time, you just hope they do the work to improve, and most pros will.

I guess the frustration comes when someone like John Casey is calling netball on Fox but isn't involved in the NBL coverage when callers who now nothing about the league are.

Reply #553452 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

That ex-AFL plater with initials BT doesn't even deserve his name to be mentioned!

One of the biggest f-wits to ever call basketball. All he wanted to see was fighting and wrestling. I felt really sorry for Drewey that he had to commentate next to BT.

Reply #553453 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Loving Derek Rucker tonight, providing great insight and energy.

Reply #553470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep told you all Rucker is quality. He did the odd playoff game back in the day for Fox after his team were eliminated.

Reply #553509 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yep, enjoyed the Fox tv commentary tonight.
So did the people of Townsville apparently.

Reply #553512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny thought crossed my mind. Rucker being back in T'ville wouldn't some of the yokels be waiting with pitchforks for him. For the old school NBL followers you would remember the whole saga with him getting a house built for "free" *cough*

Reply #553514 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

The one thing that would be great for the overall presentation of the game would be a seperate in studio pre-game, halftime, full-time show. Especially for double headers, just to break it up a bit and get more insight.

Reply #553581 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

Jeremy loe... Said there will be bigger changes to come to production and presentation

Reply #553588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Putting aside the fact that there is room for improvement production wise, i just gotta say it feels like such a luxury to be able to watch every game live and in hd. Not even in the much talked about glory days of the 90s could we watch every game. Feels so good after a v hard day to be able to put the feet up and watch a live game rather than some crap steam or a live stats Web site

Reply #553908 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Second that.

Reply #553912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The one thing that would be great for the overall presentation of the game would be a seperate in studio pre-game, halftime, full-time show. Especially for double headers, just to break it up a bit and get more insight."

THIS. At the moment it is bare bones.

Reply #554252 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:45 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754