Anonymous
Years ago

The NBL website needs to lift

Sure, it's had a change in appearance but it's not good enough right now. Here are some straight forward things they're not doing right:

Desktop version - the main news items that rotate through the main image area (and further down the page in the more detailed section) are not updated in line with the news items when you click on "More news" (http://www.nbl.com.au/category/news/). So, despite being 3 games into the season, the most recent news articles flowing through are still about the Blitz/Pre-season.

Mobile version - is "semi-updated" to have the articles (preview/result/highlights) from the Adelaide-NZ game as the most recent. However, when I click on the 'more news' link halfway down the page, I note the articles on there are correctly up to date including the articles about the Melbourne-Townsville game and preview of today's Perth-Adelaide matchup. These don't show up on the main page.

Along the same lines, with results to the games that are listed in the white row across the middle of the page (desktop) and the multiple rows (mobile), they are updated to inconsistent levels. The desktop site shows the games as if all of them are yet to be played when 3 are finished. They should show the final score. The mobile site shows a final score for the Adelaide-NZ game but no others (I guess this ties into the main news articles that scan through the front page being only updated up to this game).

Further issue with the score/game references on mobile - when you "click" on them they go no where, they are not links. Whereas when you click on them on the desktop, it takes you to the boxscore/livestats, as it should (side advice: for finished games, there should be easy navigation to the match report too from the boxscore, most people read these together).

So the only place with up to date news page is by clicking on "more news" by scrolling down the middle of the mobile site page. But I note there's no link to "news" when you hit the menu button? Surely this must be one of your main menu items. The desktop site does have a link to news via the menu, albeit to a page that isn't fully updated.

After the debacle that was the previous websites, I think the NBL made a very questionable decisioning retaining Fox Sports Pulse to be their website operator. Simple, simple things that they can't get right. Get the basics right first, worry about the flash later. People want current scores, stats and news. Not hard!!!

Topic #38145 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yeah, and the videos on the main page should surely have highlights! One of the benefits of having all your games broadcast properly! Instead all I see is a bunch of Melbourne United propaganda (Behind the scenes with...)

Reply #553595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some comments on the NBL Live app:

The news feed is well-updated.

My only complaint is with the boxscores.
It loads with Team A's boxscore and gives you a button to toggle to Team B. When you click Team B, it refreshes to that boxscore, but once you start scrolling it continually refreshes back to Team A.
A minor bug, but reading boxscores is probably one of the main things people will be doing on their app.

Reply #553596 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm happy with how the NBL is going this season. The T shirts were a *great* idea, the coverage on the app is decent, and I think the on court product this season will be the best I've ever seen with so many talented players back in the league.

Just one point of concern- that the Crocs United replay isn't up yet. It's great that they're putting replays up but these things need to be consistent.

Reply #553599 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Some good comments about the website. Agree that it needs to lift.

Reply #553628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're lucky to have a league! They have put this season together in 100 days. How about you stop whinging for the sake of it!,

Reply #553630 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I haven't had a need to go to the website because the app covers everything I want.

Reply #553635 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The app is great though, Im loving that so far. However I think the OP comments about the website are fair. It was one of the first things to be revamped so its been in operation for a while now for the league to iron out its problems.

Just my opinion but I think it should be a bit 'cleaner' in its use for my liking and the OP pointed those out.

I'm loving the improvements overall to the league and what LK has done is remarkable, so with the website, there's great potential for it and I'm hoping it will improve with more time.

Reply #553638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My impression is the website tries to be slick and modern but it comes across as not very user friendly, it's like a bunch of boxes placed on a never ending page length wise.

Reply #553645 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The NBL has made huge changes in a very little amount of time, be thankful it is around and starting to strive. The website is the least of many basketball fans issue... I hardly even go to it, all I need is on the app and here for info and viewing.

Reply #553690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not asking for the world. Just simple things like links to boxscores working and scores and news being current. It's not like the content doesn't exist (as you mention it is available on the app) so how hard is it to link it up correctly? What exactly is Fox Sports Pulse being paid to do if they can't even bring the content that is already out there to the fans via the website?

Reply #553691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBL live feed far better quality than Nbl.

Reply #553697 | Report this post

deweys army  
Years ago

i cant find a single box score? Every game i click on goes to a blank box score sheet. Where are they?

And the latest news still talks about the last game of the blitz as the most recent article. Not 1 report on the round 1 games??

Reply #553752 | Report this post

Jrue  
Years ago

Agreed, need a nice and well laid out site, easy navigation.

e.g. AFL.com.au - so much easier to read and navigate.

NBL.com.au trying to be / do too much everywhere.

Reply #553855 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I've had no problems clicking on the games on the front page to bring up the boxscore.

Reply #553856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe desktop right? But when I'm on mobile the only way i can find the link is to go to nbl twitter feed and look for a tweet where they link the livestats

Reply #553896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Front page hasn't been updated.

No links to game reports. Last reports are for preseason games.

Ladder and player stats are for last season stiill??!

Reply #554260 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

if your on a mobile why don't you just use the app its far easier to find news and live scores.

Reply #554261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am on desktop.

Reply #554263 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree that the website is subpar. Too much focus on improving the look but did a bad job with everything else about it. Ladder on the front was empty when I checked this morning and the stats are a huge pain to use - I gave up.

Their efforts on Instagram and Twitter have been excellent.

Reply #554559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats page needs improving, don't need a general stat page for everyone in the league when I click leaderboard under scoring average.

Assists should be done as average as well, not total.

Reply #554560 | Report this post

So it seems you can polish a turd!

Reply #554563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly Isaac well said it's all look but no substance.

Reply #554721 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

The stats at:

http://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/5/Australian-NBL/stats

So much easier to read and much more info.

Reply #554896 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754