Luuuc
Years ago

R1: Melbourne vs Illawarra

Loving the NBL saturation coverage.

This one could get ugly for the Hawks at Hisense with Lisch out injured.

Topic #38155 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah man me too re being able to be a nbl addict this year :)

Pity about lisch was looking forward to seeing him play again as a perth fan

Reply #553913 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Agreed, Melbourne didnt really seem to use up too much energy in the 4th quarter against the Crocs. Expect Goulding to score much more than 7, he wont die wondering!

Reply #553914 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This one is also live on GO!

Looks like GO! are adding their own flavour to the telecast, starting it off with their own in-studio intro.

Reply #553915 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Keeping on tack with the issue of uniforms this round, not digging how the Hawks' white uniforms have white numbering. The poor contrast doesn't convey well on telecasts.

Reply #553918 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

No Lisch or Martin in this one.

Reply #553919 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Coenraad is underrated big time.

Man there is some serious talent out there on the court right now among the 10.

Reply #553920 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Enjoying the Goulding v Penney match-up.

Reply #553922 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This is fun

Reply #553923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree on the Hawks unis. Between warrick and Goulding majok Holt Melbourne are going to be a highlight reel this season!

Reply #553924 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

18 threes attempted in that first quarter

Reply #553925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good intro by Bill Baxter & Brad Rosen on GO.

Reply #553926 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Solid start for Warrick.

Reply #553927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long is martin and lisch out for? Injuries might be the difference between them making the playoffs or not

Reply #553928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Majok Majok related to Ater Majok?

He looks a real find I thought he was just going to be making up the numbers on their roster but seems to have gone right ahead of Patton.

Reply #553929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So GO have an accompanying studio panel? Nice work but why isn't fox doing something similar

Reply #553930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Nine's intro was quite good all things considered (just taking a feed of Fox's broadcast), Rosen too was much more palatable spoke slower

Reply #553931 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

WEEKS! Did not expect that.

Reply #553932 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Rosen was better in the Sydney v Cairns game too. May have worked on his game.

Reply #553933 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Me neither. Nice. Almost Andrew Gaze-like but Holt got himself out of the poster

Reply #553934 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Weeks through down on of them last year too, surprising hops on him!

Reply #553935 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Just stupid play there by Ellis.
Melbourne should not have had the final play.

Reply #553936 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Penney's mistake, should have pulled it out. What a half though, as entertaining half of basketball as I can remember at any level.

Reply #553937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn Weeks is nice for one of these "fringe of the league" type players. Great dunk.

Interesting in Goulding's HT interview he refers to the Hawks having a great coach. Everyone got so much love for Bevo, it's a wonder how he was out of work for this long?

Reply #553938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like some of the sets to get Penney and Coenraad in 'creating' situations running off off-ball screens in the absence of their primary ball handlers in Martin and Lisch. Those plays helped to get Ogilvy going there.

Reply #553939 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Take ya sunnies off Homicide, geez.

Reply #553940 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Big pre game Buzz around hisense.

Lk doing a lot right.

Love majok majok. Brings exactly what Melbourne missed last yr. And it's gonna be so fun watching Warrick and Goulding every game

Reply #553941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is homicide just happen to be here on vacation when the nbl started our has he been brought in in an official capacity?

Reply #553942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Love majok majok"

Very nice indeed.

I think Homicide was just out here for some one on one tournament in Townsville or something.

Reply #553943 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ellis' last shot was absolutely stupid. Can't blame Penney for passing it up court. Any player with 1/100th of a brain would pull that out. The result of not doing that = a Goulding three.

Reply #553944 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

90% Penney's fault. A guard who has the ball with15 seconds left should never kick it to a shooter in the corner. Keep the ball and run a play. Guards should never assume bigs have clock awareness.

Reply #553945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has coenraad taken his game to the next level?

Reply #553946 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Ellis is a spud.

Reply #553947 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Coenraad was very good last year but it looks like he's added some nice new tricks.

Reply #553948 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Greenwood would have got a big shock this year if he thought he would waltz into the Boomers team.

Reply #553949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it is only the responsibility of guards to play smart Paul? I'm not buying that

Reply #553950 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Coenraad has improved every year. With Penney and Lisch now taking some of the attention, he can flourish this year. Always had this sort of potential.

Reply #553951 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

paul, every player should have clock/game awareness. It shouldn't be reserved for guards only.

Ellis needs to be taken off.

Reply #553952 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

Bit of a boring game. Yesterday Adelaide game was the best of the round

Reply #553953 | Report this post

For real?

Reply #553954 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

This games being very exciting IMO. Best of round.

Perth Adelaide game was a grind.

Reply #553955 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Guards should take care of running the rights play at the right time. Ellis should never have touched that ball.

Reply #553956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this game has been quite good, the second half of the 36ers/Wildcats game (I missed the first half!) was horrific.

Reply #553957 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think there was a bit of sarcasm there.

Reply #553958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis should never have been on the court.

Fixed.

Reply #553959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You couldve blamed a guard if he passed it to a big running at speed in the middle of the court. He passed it to a guy with his feet set it would not have been difficult for Ellis to simply catch and pass it back to the top

Reply #553960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV,

Any word on what has happened to Patton?

Reply #553961 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good coaches go back to the source. The source of that bad mistake by Ellis was Penney pointlessly passing him the ball when he should have been running the final play.

Reply #553962 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Those United Cheerleaders....yikes.

Reply #553964 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hawks running out of gas now.

Reply #553965 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Blame that loss on Penney. Every pass he made lead to a bad play..got to go back to the source ;)

Reply #553966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't like how they play whole songs over multiple possessions

Reply #553967 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Melbourne have so many weapons this year.

Reply #553968 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Love Holt's game. He knows his environment. Doesn't try to do too much.

Very efficient player which is perfect given the talent on that team.

Reply #553969 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Was just thinking the same thing. Real class for a guy that young. Knows when to pass to big guys and when to run a play ;-)

Reply #553970 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Argggh! What is Ellis doing on in the last 3 mins.

Reply #553971 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Just go home Ellis... He's been Melbourne's best player today.

Reply #553972 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ellis *facepalm*

Reply #553973 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Why would you take Oscar off? He must have asked for a blow surely?

Reply #553974 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

2 really big defensive plays by Goulding late here. He's not just all offense anymore.

Reply #553975 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I know Bevo loves him, but not like that

Reply #553976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevos weakness coming back to haunt him? Seems to be an equal opportunity type coach but results in crabs seeing more time than they should

Reply #553977 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's prob because Martin and Lisch are out. They've done pretty well in their two games given their backcourt.

Reply #553978 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Agreed. No avoiding bench time in a game of this tempo. Great effort by the Hawks, and could have been much closer had a couple more of those very good looks dropped

Reply #553979 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I see Melbourne only used 8 players today, but can't think of anyone they are missing?

Reply #553980 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Oh, Barlow. Of course.

Reply #553981 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nice game, can't believe we have to wait three days for the next one.

Reply #553983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game, Goulding is going to make a lot of people cry this season. I hope he has his off nights against the Kings.

Reply #553998 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I have been quite impressed by Weeks for the hawks surely he will be in the league next season with Brisbane coming in.

Reply #554000 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, United did what they had to to get over the line, Hawks are good but just not able to lead during games and chasing their opponents.

0-2 is going to be hard for the Hawks now, but they are not far off the mark, A.J. is a key for them he has to dominate.

Anyone know the crowd today, seemed to be a good one on the TV?

Reply #554001 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Hawks did well without Lisch and Martin. They will be better by the end of the season especially under Bevo who is the best coach in the league imo.

Reply #554007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks will be lucky to be in the league next season along with the crappy crocs.

Reply #554013 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I think people were talking up the big three for hawks too soon. Yeah, they have Lisch, Ogilvy and Penney, but they also have Ellis and that dickbrain Demos to help nullify their effectiveness.

The Hawks bench is largely full of guys who wouldn't get looks elsewhere. A lot for this team rests on the big three, and there is a question mark next to Kirk Penneys ability to produce what they need at his age.

Interesting, for Melbourne, they persist with Majok Majok over Hakim Warrick. You can't argue with results, and I don't think anyone expected to Majok to start like this, but it must confuse the hell out of Warrick, who probably expected to be the teams go-to guy.

I really hate the ISC uniforms on both of these clubs. I am also not a fan of Hisense on TV. I feel like uniforms and arenas need some aesthetic overhauls. But, promisingly, Melbourne United has almost 10,000 fans at their opening game after a poor season - a good sign for the team, and league.

Reply #554015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Hisense is probably the best looking stadium to watch a game from on TV. Used be Townsville back in the day.

Reply #554020 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hawks minus Lisch and Martin is big losses for them and the way they play or intend too. Unlike some teams who have already shown their weakness, the Hawks have plenty to build, and a import spot up their sleeve. Agreed Hisense is awesome for viewing on tv!!!

Reply #554022 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crowd would have been around 7500 judging from the configuration with the tops at each end being shut off. Really good start for them, deserved as their promotion was very good.

Reply #554026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there much difference as far as cost/practicalities in playing at Hisense vs Rod Laver Arena? RLA just seems to be a better venue for atmosphere, Hisense feels like a big empty room with some seating as opposed to a proper stadium.

Reply #554028 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Wouldnt mind seeing a Warrick and Majok front court.. especially when you already have three, 3 point bombers on the field ( goulding, holt, tblanch

Reply #554052 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Both teams impressed me.

Having seen both Hawks games this weekend, if they can get their team on court I expect top 4. Add Lisch and Martin and today's a different result.

Goulding's ball handling has improved so much compared to 3 years ago.

Like the balance in United's line-up this year.

Ogilvy is real good. Such a great having so many quality 5's in the league

Reply #554083 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Treat *

Reply #554084 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I saw Jon Patton at the game.

That could suggest he thought Chris might play?

Definite Buzz. Saw a lot of the North Melbourne Kang players there today. Big crowd in.

What's with 6 home games in a row in 3 weeks though? The real test of crowds will be the Wednesday night game straight after a couple of home games in quick succession.

Reply #554086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What's with 6 home games in a row in 3 weeks though?"

I said the same on here when the commentators for the Town/Melb game said Melb play their next 6 games at home and Town play their next 5 games on the road.

Odd scheduling but a few here said because of the tennis which doesn't explain the Crocs equally extreme schedule.

Reply #554088 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth and Melbourne need to play home games now because of the tennis, and Sydney lose their venue in December so the more home games they've played by then the better.

And since all these teams have to play against someone, other teams are going to have road-heavy schedules.

Reply #554090 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754