Dazz
Years ago

Casey Prather?

One game does not a season make, but what did you all think?

I don't want to read to much into one outing. Although his overall contribution wasn't what we'd expect from an import, at times he looked ok.

However there is one aspect that concerns me...

There has always been a big question hanging over Prather, just what type of player is he and what role can he fill for the Cats?
The roster is grotesquely lopsided. In a "perfect world" Prather would be a genuine SF, and you'd trade out a couple of bench players for a backup SF and a backup SG, but it is what it is. Reality is that we need somebody to be able to play as a 2, or at the very least 2/3, and Prather seems to be it.

This was magnified last night, with Martin missing, and Beal at times running the point.
Yet Prather played only 18 minutes. Less than Wagstaff and Redhage. At times we had HIRE running the 2 spot.
What's more, and I know its only one game, but he looked just like his highlight reel; great close to bucket, nothing from outside.

Whilst its probably true to say that Martin's return will change things up. I still feel Prather is going to struggle to find a role.
I feel that SOMETHING has got to "give" and that if we assume that the locals are all untouchable, then its going to be Prather?

I wonder if they have their eyes on anyone, if Ennis isn't released?
(Which might be a godsend as I'm not convinced a return is what they they need this season.)

Topic #38159 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was in foul trouble most of the game.

Reply #554034 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Like Starks he showed some impressive physical skills, the trick will be finding how to use those successfully in the NBL. Too early to make a judgement on that, but wasn't terrible last night.

Reply #554036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He hit a nice corner three in the third, followed by a nice mid range shot off a little curl cut. If the Cats find how to utilise him off the move like that he will be very useful.

Reply #554041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal took many games to hit his straps.

Reply #554047 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Prather is a big upgrade from Deandre Daniels, but is still a big downgrade from Ennis.

There are certainly glimpses of what he can do, like push the ball and pressure the D.

Early days of course but he seems like a solid pick up.

Reply #554049 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Yes that is true....both Lisch and Beal took a while to get their rhythm.

Reply #554050 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Good player. Not too sure about the fit though however was signed based on Greenwood as I have mentioned!

Reply #554055 | Report this post

whitewind  
Years ago

i like his drive and aggressive nature to the basket. From what ive seen he is slashing to the basket well which is what was lacking last season at times.

Dont worry about guards, with Damo and Beal, Prather will get to play the 3 and will do it nicely. I think he will thrive in the role when damo returns, as teams wont be able to sag off beal/marto/redhage/wagstaff like they were on kenny or they will pay the price. With redhage slowing, and wagstaff loving to sit at the 3 line, our PF can play outside and give prather room in the key (if jawai vacates it).

After watching last nights game, im convinced we picked the right guy more so than a sit out 3 pt shooter. We just need damo back. Take any star local out of a team and they will be deficient in areas, and you can make scenarios where a different built player would suit a side more. Think of abercrombies absence with NZ, goulding out for melb etc, it changes the way a team can play for sure.

Reply #554057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I totally agree with white wind, he found his way to the basket with ease and managed to create his own shot. He also found a lot of space on the perimeter, he looked to lack a bit of confidence and that will come. Those little floaters he was getting in the key over the big men were good looks and will start to drop. On the defensive end he played the passing lanes well and his on ball d troubled the Adelaide guards. He looks a good team defender aswell. I think he's a good fit for the cats and he's only a youngster so as he gets more mature and more confident he will be a big asset.

Reply #554071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he had a reliable shot he would be a gun.

Reply #554073 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

One game does not a season make, but then again he played exactly the same way as he did in the preseason games, right down to the big dunk attempt that went flying off the rim, so there's no reason to think much is going to change with him this season.
As we've been saying all along about him, Greenwood's departure makes him no longer an ideal fit position-wise, but hopefully we can still make it work. I like his energy & athleticism, and think we need that. Can't shoot for shit, but that seems to almost be a requirement to be a Cats guard these days. Between him, Damo & Kenny we must have one of the worst perimeter shooting backcourts ever.
Stay healthy, Beal!!

Reply #554087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I liked it when rucker said during the game ' cats need to substitute in their better shooting guards to take advantage of the attention their bigs area attracting inside'... But we don't actually have any good shooters!

Reply #554091 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

He must have thought he saw Ray Allen on the bench wearing red.

Reply #554095 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

I think people need to get off his back and stop hoping for the second coming of Ennis. Don't get me wrong, I loved Ennis and would have him back in a heartbeat. I just think Casey needs the chance to settle in. Ennis came in with deficiencies in his shooting- he got better. Casey had a lot of upsides despite the glaring jump shot issue. Hopefully he is a hard worker- which is what all the cats staff are saying- that the shots will start to drop. It is exciting to see a guy willing to slash to the basket and create a few highlights. Just give him time. Beal needed time and look how that turned out.

Reply #554097 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

he's only a youngster so as he gets more mature and more confident he will be a big asset.

He's here for like 4~5 months, not sure how mature he's gonna get.

Reply #554105 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dont worry about guards, with Damo and Beal, Prather will get to play the 3 and will do it nicely.

umm, just to fill you in, we don't want him to play the 3.

Let me put it another way, even assuming Damo is back and firing, if Prather goes down with an LTI tomorrow, what do we look to replace him with.

I'm also not sure how anybody could possibly conclude that he's an improvement on DD?
Anything I've seen Prather do, DD could do a LOT better. DD's downsides were that he lacked the strength to post-up, and that he didn't have enough outside game to really play the small 3 role. Prather looks to be a smaller version of the same.

Thing is, these guys on one season deals are hired guns. Its not the way I like to see things run, but that's how the Cats have decided to utilise one of their import slots. But if you're gonna hire a gun, he better be able to shoot.

Reply #554106 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Beal is the Real Deal,
a man-made highlight Reel,
he can shoot and Steal,
the win he can Seal,
like a cold-blooded river Eel.

Reply #554119 | Report this post

"I'm also not sure how anybody could possibly conclude that he's an improvement on DD?
Anything I've seen Prather do, DD could do a LOT better. "

Prather can dribble the ball without turning it over. Thats a massive improvement, not just for the player, but for the teams offence.

Reply #554136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather was never a 'hired gun' dazz, do you really think the scouts and coaches thought he would be an overnight superstar?? He wasn't a superstar in college nor in the d league, he's obviously a player they hoped to develop.

Reply #554140 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was very good in college, I'm sure they think he can be a very effective player, but it's his first real pro gig so there will be ups and downs.

He played his part in a huge opening round win so I think think anyone will be sharpening knives just yet.

Reply #554141 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

He'll get better as the season goes on. With Jawai in the lineup we need to surround him with shooters. He's attracting double teams every possession. If Prather can continue to hit threes, we'll be ok. He should good defense in his first game, shut down Ebi Ere

Reply #554154 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Should add, he wasnt a great 3 point shooter in college, but went 1/3 against 36ers. That would be enough to make teams pay for doubling Jawai

www.wildcatsviews.com

Reply #554162 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"umm, just to fill you in, we don't want him to play the 3."

Oh really? So we got ourselves an import just to fill in whatever minutes were remaining from the 2 guard spots after Martin, Beal & Greenwood??

"Prather can dribble the ball without turning it over. Thats a massive improvement, not just for the player, but for the teams offence."

He also looks focussed and vaguely invested in what's happening on the court, and gives effort for more than 2 minutes per game, so that's an improvement as well.

Reply #554178 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Prather was never a 'hired gun' dazz, do you really think the scouts and coaches thought he would be an overnight superstar?? He wasn't a superstar in college nor in the d league, he's obviously a player they hoped to develop.

He's here on a one-season deal.
Yes, they hope he develops, but the payback period is SHORT, as in within the season.

"umm, just to fill you in, we don't want him to play the 3."

Oh really? So we got ourselves an import just to fill in whatever minutes were remaining from the 2 guard spots after Martin, Beal & Greenwood??

Ok, you must have missed this, Greenwood LEFT and was replaced with Jawai.

I don't know if the Cats anticipated Jawai (or perhaps another local front-court player) but even at the time they went looking for Prather they said they wanted a swingman could could play on the wing.

With Jawai, we now have a logjam in the front court.
Including Prather, we've now got 4 guys who will rotate through the 3 spot. What we need is ONE of those to show some aptitude to rotate through the 2. (As I mentioned, last game we at one point had Hire in the 2.)
Prather is the obvious candidate, not only because he's the one they recruited to have that ability, and because he's the only one that even looks like he might, but because he's the easiest replaced.
(He's not only an import, but a 10 point player.)

At the end of the day, if Prather ends up playing mostly in the 3, and a result Hire, Redhage & Wagstaff all drop in minutes, then fine, but that's NOT what we have seen so far.

Reply #554993 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd give Casey a big pat on the back with a giant foam hand if I could.

I thought he was adequate enough and wasn't trying to be a star aka Thornton from Sydney. As the season wears on Casey will make errors and will also grow from them and take bad shots but we need to encourage him being aggressive slashing to the basket and I think we will have a much better player come finals time

Reply #555045 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:18 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754