Jack Toft
Years ago

The Plan for McNeaill

Interesting story in The Crow-vertiser today about Kenyon McNeaill and his injury.

The Sixers have had a history of hanging onto injured imports, or imports who have struggled, for too long.

The extent of his injury is unknown and only he and his doctor probably knows the full extent. If he can't play his full requirement of time, should he be cut and another import be brought in? can the Sixers cover it with an injury waiver?

Topic #38167 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

While they're at it can they cut Ebi?!

Reply #554128 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They should definitely be looking so if they have to make a move there's a better chance of a good option being ready to go.

Reply #554132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We lost a game sack Ebi

Reply #554133 | Report this post

Singlet  
Years ago

If McNeil is not fit and is still a few weeks away which could be 6 games then cut him loose.

Whats the Ebi haters, everyone loved him Wednesday night, clearly he just still thinks if you score a certain amount you get a free cheeseburger and was obviously told Saturday that is not the case

Reply #554145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not that we lost as to why Ebi should be cut, it's how he performed or lack thereof that is the concern. Even in game 1 apart from that spurt of points he did absolutely nothing - didn't even look dangerous.

Reply #554147 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He is a overweight and a one trick pony, wrong singing from the get go. No way if the 36ers had seen him before he had signed they wouldve gone through with it, can imagine how they reacted when they first saw him! 7 years ago when he was classified as a winner etc he wasn't fat, heavyish but not to this extent. Win or lose the other night, doesnt matter he has no motor with that weight.

Reply #554177 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I would rather them, cut both imports and sign 1 import gun and sign another young Aussie cheap as 10th man. Even if its Daly as the 10th man, then go for a gun SG?

Reply #554182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe24 - They still would have signed him because he is Joeys boy!

Reply #554183 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

If JP Tokoto gets dropped by the 76ers before the season, could he be the answer?

Reply #554184 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Gee you guys are quick to write players off.

2 weeks ago everyone was raving how good Joey has done to have unearthed another gem in Kenyon, after his fantastic blitz performances.

Now it's "cut him/bring someone else" in.

What if he comes in this week, shuts down Holt (like he did in the Blitz) and dominates again?

Stop being so fickle and get behind your team.

Trust Joey and the players he has selected. This guy took us from bottom feeders to the finals.

The team is well balanced and only lost on the weekend because we were out muscled on the boards and in the paint.

They've been playing together now for a few months, there is good balance.

New import means new chemistry will need to be found etc.

Reply #554193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both imports appear to be poor signings but we all suspected that. I would sit McNeail out until he's healthy if he doesn't get there cut him before his contract becomes guaranteed.

Ebi Ere is the real worry especially as our supposed 'big money' import. Stupid signing. Age, old man injury, weight, poor form. If true Joey is certain to be leaving at the end of the season I wouldn't worry about hurting his feelings and would have cut Ere already. Never would've considered signing him in the first place.

Reply #554195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, I dont think Tokoto is the answer. He is an athlete with good size and a great defender but is very limited offensively unless in the open court.

If Joeys run and gun game gets shut down like it did against Perth then Tokoto will give you little.

We need someone who can shoot and create their own shot.

Anon - people are saying cut Kenyon because he is injured and his injury is a mystery (other than they know it is his shoulder) so not sure how long he might be hampered by it. Given the competition and the length of the season the 36ers can't afford to sit and see how long he takes to recover when it is an unknown.

Reply #554199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay didn't know it was a shoulder just assumed it was an ankle sprain or tweaked a hamstring or something. If a shoulder injury is reducing him to token minutes in consecutive games and he can't give us anything it's obviously serious then and the sooner a decision is made the better.

They're unlikely to axe both so probably means we're stuck with Ere.

Reply #554201 | Report this post

Singlet  
Years ago

McNeil actually looks like value for money but if he is injured how long that is for should determine if he stays or goes.
League is stronger this year cant expect to win 10 in a row to make it again

Reply #554212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shoulder is a very complex joint so his timeline is likely unknown and indefinite?!

I too think he could be value for money but sometimes a decision needs to be made.

I'd like to see the 36ers take a look at Brady Heslip or Glen Rice Jr if they decide to go down that path.

Reply #554219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder/hope they are keeping a eye on Wilbekin/Ennis status in the NBA and pounce if they get released.

Im sure Cairns and Perth are, so i hope the 36ers atleast are keeping and eye out and ready to make a offer if the opportunity arises,

Reply #554221 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Google "Ebi Ere Fiba game center" and check out the numbers he's put up the past 2 years. He still has it!

Reply #554222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should also put a call out to Rotnei Clarke and see if he is happy where he is?!

Reply #554223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV - every year after 30 you decline more and more rapidly. Plus, NBL (I think) is a quicker league than he has been playing in.

Reply #554224 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I dont care if he averaged 35ppg a game last 2 years, its about the now and he is unfit to perform. I dont get why people are defending him so much, its not his fault he was offered a gig, and by all accounts he is a great character guy, but he simply isn't fit for the job he has been hired to do! As for McNeil, a shoulder injury could spell the end before it began, imports need to stay play and produce, sucks but cheap or not, he is no good to the club a is.

Reply #554234 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kobe24, what is the "job he was hired to do"?

Reply #554249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He must be injured, there was a basic layup he missed with so much air between his fingers and the ring.

Reply #554256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so much air between where the ball landed from his release to the ring I should say. was comical.

Reply #554257 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Perform at a high-level make shots when the game is there for the taking. Someone who can self create like he used to, and show spurts of speed. What do you think he is here too do... His weight is holding him back, and his age shortened season and potentially soft tissue injuries are all a very bad mix. He's not here to play spot minutes in a small role, many more younger athletic guys that will run lanes and get off the ground for that. Joey has been talking him up big time, but said Waxy was gonna be a 1-5 spot type.... Joey talks, a lot.

Reply #554270 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So when Ebi was the major catalyst of the 36ers 32-9 2nd quarter that saw them smash the Breakers, was that an example of performing at a high level and making shots when the game was there for the taking?

Reply #554274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet another season of the Sixers imploding already. The fans at least ;)

Reply #554275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a pre-retirement gig for Ebi, he's been in Europe for many years now and all of a sudden is back in Aus. We all know why. Joey is doing him a favour out of nostalgia and eternal gratefulness with what happened at the Bullets.

Reply #554277 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He had 13 against a piss weak version of a great team. If thats the only defence then your kidding yourself, over the course of the season i think he will have his moments, but i dont see it happening enough. I dont think physically he can do it at NBL level. Thats my opinion. Again he wont be sacked, no way Joey would have that on his record, but I dont think he is in pro level fitness which annoys me as a fan.

Reply #554278 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

What anon said!!!!

Reply #554280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe24 most of the people on here want the NBL/Sixers to do well so won't take the blinkers off. They also want it to be popular again with the mainstream public but unlike the true believers the average punter will laugh and switch over to something else.

Reply #554281 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Maybe we need a new thread for Ere

Reply #554368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack you are right go and create a Weight Watchers thread.

Reply #554370 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Haha thats funny, simple but effective! Im done with giving my opinion its just frustrating to see former gun struggle with a usually non athlete related issue. Would be curious to know what people think else where though, is he worth the season, if so why, if not... who or atlas what type of player would they like to see brought in.

Reply #554383 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

McNeail has shown more than enough to warrant sticking with him for a few more weeks.

One could understand if McNeail was a total wrong fit for the team, but he is the outside punch lacking from last year.

Just give him the time to recover.

Same with Ere, Joey knows his qualities and how that fits in with his team plan.

Let Joey's plan evolve before jettisoning people.

Reply #554479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Camby if you ran a team, you'd make Clarke and Radford look like COY candidates, so weak. Business not charity at this level... Your delusion keeps me entertained but frustrated all at once, its my cross to bare at this stage haha

Reply #554489 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It is too early to make calls on imports before games 5-8. That said, if there is a team in the league that is not keeping an eye on the import market, you can bet they will not be a contender.

Ere played a real stinker on Saturday after a reasonable first up game. He wasn't the only one. But it seems to me Ere is exactly the same body shape as he was last time he was in Australia. That just is his body shape, and is something he has always used to his physical advantage. People have short memories.

Reply #554511 | Report this post

36ersNayshun  
Years ago

I reckon Kenyon would be a great value for money import when healthy. His form leading in would suggest that. Can't they put him on injury waivers until he comes good and bring someone else in? 5 minutes of burst play from him with a knackered shoulder probably isn't going to do us any favours when we could get a lesser light in to carry a bit more load.

Reply #554540 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Not going to do his own rehab any good either. I dont really get how you can play even minimal minutes with an injury like this. You're either injured and need to rehab or your ok to go... At full fitness based on what people have seen of him, sound like he could be great value, but if he sits good to go, and that is sport, he becomes the worst value. Its a shame, but thats the life of import players compared to locals who you support as long as it takes...

Reply #554591 | Report this post

Singlet  
Years ago

Oh no now Marcus is involved and no one can do wrong.
Joey seems to have been blinded by a mate who wont keep up with some of these teams.
He will have some good nights but if its only against Townsville or a NZ B team it wont win us finals

Reply #554605 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

But singlet, Joey hast missed the playoffs for blah blah blah.... this team isn't assembled to win the title, and it could be with the right import combo. Simple really.

Reply #554648 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Anon'489...who said anything about Charity?

I said the team has a plan and to give that plan a chance to evolve.

You accuse me of weakness. I put it to you that it takes more toughness and fortitude to stick to a plan under adversity.Just giving up on your platyers is the WEAK option.

Reply #554700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stefhon Hannah has just been cut by the Bulls...he'd be a good replacement!

Reply #554815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charity is a coach bringing his overweight buddy to play the spot that should be utilised by a decent import who is in shape. Season too short for time wasting on poor imports choices... its a weak approach at this level, but at school yard level agree you preserve as there isn't money business plans on the line, simply kids developing character.

Reply #554918 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754