downthecorridor
Years ago

NBL ticket prices

Wildcats have just released ticket prices for friday nights game vs breakers.

To get decent seats without being in bleachers and definitely not courtside will cost a family of 4 just over $200 including booking ticketek fee.

This is pretty unaffordable for most families. Whats the logic? Make more money? Push ppl towards season membership? Just a really dissappointing outcome.

Out of curiosity how much is it to buy tickets at other arenas around aust to watch nbl for a family of 4?

Topic #38175 | Report this topic

another anon  
Years ago

Supply and demand. Since the move to the cbd it looks like people are willing to pay that price. They have 10000+ every week and then sell off the bleachers for $10-$20 last minute on a Friday. If people are willing to pay then you charge accordingly. Don't think you can argue with the business logic here.

Reply #554482 | Report this post

Years ago

Very few things go down in price in this world. Whilst they sell at whatever the price is they will stay.

Reply #554483 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

agree with *another anon*.

while everyone wants to be apart of something special, they can charge what they like and people will pay.

Reply #554487 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Makes Foxtel a little more attractive then, doesn't it?

Reply #554490 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hisense

Platinum- lower sides $60
Gold - rear lower sides $42
Silver- baselines lower $35

Ga covers upper sidelines (I think) and upper baselines for 28

Not cheap. So with those prices getting 7000 on opening night is impressive

Reply #554492 | Report this post

lolball  
Years ago

why you guys mad that they are trying to make money?
Basketball is struggling in this country
if they are selling out or close to they have all rights to up the price
more money the better
its up to them to promote WHY they are charging so much, eg "this is the best way your family should spend 200 bucks because....."

Reply #554517 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Fair point, lolball.
For $200 in Perth, 4 people could watch a Cats game, or they could each get a pint of beer and share a bowl of sweet potato fries with tangy tomato relish. So it seems expensive but the Cats game will keep you entertained for a lot longer ;)

Seriously though even Nick (in that article linked here a few days ago) acknowledged the "two-speed" nature of the Cats ticket sales - i.e. that the very best seats in the house and the very cheapest ones are what get snapped up first. Unfortunately the people who just want a good view and don't care at all about price, are not that numerous.
It'll be a real test for the Wildcats this season after most sports fans in Perth have been engaged all through September with AFL.
I hope they're promoting the hell out of this Friday's home opener.

Reply #554522 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I am pretty sure a large majority of Gold/Platinum/Captains Club (which is the majority of the lower bowl) are all members anyway so not that many seats available at the $107 & $158 per game bracket.

Either way that's gonna hurt the credit card in March.

Reply #554529 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Are they getting the word out? Both Hay Street Mall and Murray Street Mall in the Perth CBD have Flag Pole advertising for upcoming Wildcats games. There is a radio advert, a double full page ad in todays local paper, Ive seen a few tv adverts for them too.

There are also the obligatory bus stop signs that seem to alternate between a hair shamppo and the Wildcats advert.

Not to mention the best advertisment of all, teenagers/kids walking around the city wearing Cats shirts/singlets.

Reply #554544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

props to the cats if they have been donating previous seasons merch to the lovely youth of murray street mall

Reply #554546 | Report this post

downthecorridor  
Years ago

The club is well down on membership this season and if they think increasing ticket prices are goibg to help plug revenue hole, i think they are in for a rude surprise. From memory on what i paid last year for tickets we are talkng a 70% increasr on prices. The top priced ticket at hisense is less that a silver adult seat at perth arena.

Price elasticity of demand people.

Reply #554556 | Report this post

The costs in running the club also went up. Its not greed or even the increase demand of members - it is just costing more to run the club than it did two years ago.

Reply #554558 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"The club is well down on membership this season"

If your talking about the Wildcats they had roughly 7600 from memory at start of last season and roughly the same this year.

The club usually snares a bunch of memberships between the start of season and December/Jan. These are sold as part season memberships.

So really they are still on par with last season.

Reply #554561 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Wow, there are still rumormongers stating the Wildcats memberships are severely down? Damn. Thought they had all moved on the to the Moon landing was faked thread.

Reply #554564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They made a loss last year so they need to increase game day revenue

Reply #554572 | Report this post

Singlet  
Years ago

Blah blah blah
Really ???
The people come so they can charge.
Basketball is a shambles and they should be making decisions to make money, obviously enough people can afford it to get 10K plus
You would expect them to expect a drop in crowd with every game live but I would also imagine Perth Arena is a very expensive stadium to play out of

Reply #554601 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Perth Arena is a pretty expensive place to play at. Of course having said that Perth is a lot more expensive town to buy things at than Adelaide and prices for Coffee are easily past Melbourne and Sydney. Again as has been stated however Perth Arena is centrally located and they still get 10k plus to games so they have to be doing right.

Can you imagine how the Wildcats game prices would go down in a place like Adelaide or Illawara? Riots.

Which does beg the question. If some places are charging a 1/3 of what Perth does, how the hell DO their teams stay in business?

Reply #554622 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Perth has Jack Bendat, Brisbane will have Paul Bendat.

Solution: We need more Bendats.

Reply #554624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendat like Beckham

Reply #554625 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Spendat like Bendat..

Reply #554627 | Report this post

Downthecorridor  
Years ago

They won't be getting anywhere near 10k this season at these prices.

Case in point, first home game vs traditional rivals NZ and the cheapest alcohol free nickel tickets at 50 bucks for family are still available. Last year these would have sold out two weeks ago.

Why? They have put them basically last row in the corner whereas last year it would have been still far but not right up back and probably side on court.

I can't go to all games so season membership makes no sense. And why did the cats wait till 5 nights before tip off to put tickets on sale?

I've supported wildcats for over 25 years since the old days and I will continue to do so but unfortunately not by attending games since the club seems to be a little bit out of touch with financial reality. 200 bucks for a family seating in silver seats? Pfft please wake up mr. Marvin.

Reply #554636 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Didn't this thread pop up last season too? And then the cats made the people complaining and saying it's not possible look silly by still hitting the mark?

Reply #554637 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^Tickets wouldn't have been sold out two weeks prior as they weren't on sale for two weeks.

I agree prices are way too high though.

It appears that the Wildcats growth is rubbing a lot of long time supporters the wrong way.

I commend the organisation for pushing with promotion and marketing.

But it really annoys me that my Captains Club membership costs $950 for a season.

All I want is my seat and priority tickets to playoffs.

They bundle in all this "Extra value" to make it seem like you are getting a special package because you have the closest seats in the house - when really, having the closest seats in the house is all the value I need.

Reply #554640 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you're sitting in the front four rows, you don't get to whine about the price of tickets.

Seriously, people.

Reply #554641 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Perth is expensive.
The Arena is very expensive, but its also a great venue.
And if you think Cats seats are a rip, compare them to what we pay to sit in that open sewer at Subiaco.

The problem with trying to get decent seats, is that there aren't any left.
Better off just going for Bronze or Nickel.

Reply #554645 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Last year these would have sold out two weeks ago."

"And why did the cats wait till 5 nights before tip off to put tickets on sale? "

I think you have your answer as to why those tickets didn't sell out 2 weeks ago.

Stop being a negative nancy.

I bought a season membership for about $350, good seats in bronze with side view. That's about $25 per game. I don't know what all the complaining about high prices is.

Reply #554651 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I think the main issue that will affect crowd figures this year will be the length of the season. There are several instances this season where a club plays home twice in a week

Reply #554654 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Train, those are membership prices. Single-game tickets generally cost twice that. I'm paying just under $50 a game for my gold membership, but a single ticket is $107.

Reply #554655 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

As a student, I get Gold Sixers tickets for $20 (plus booking fee) this year. Pretty bloody good if you ask me.

Reply #554657 | Report this post

Downthecorridor, do you know how much it costs the club to operate? They can't continue to price the tickets at family friendly prices if it means operating at a loss.

Reply #554660 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I love the way the Wildcats give such a huge incentive to be a member, and it seems to work.

Reply #554661 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I love the way the Wildcats give such a huge incentive to be a member, and it seems to work.

Reply #554662 | Report this post

downthecorridor  
Years ago

No idea supernintendo what it costs to run a game at perth arena. But judging by responses cost per game under a membership is almost half the price if you were to buy individual game at ticketek.

If its so expensive to run perth arena how can this price discrepancy be justified? I can only conclude the club is trying to persuade ppl to buy memberships by making it unaffordable to go to individual games.

This is unprecedented in any sport in aust excluding those events where demand outstrips supply e.g. finals

Reply #554664 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How can it be justified? Because members make a big down payment straight away, whereas individual ticket holders only fork out for one game at a time. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, so to speak.

Reply #554665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have explicitly stated that they will reward new members by not raising their costs as much as single seats. Its basic economics to look after those who are going to give you more of your revenue.

Reply #554666 | Report this post

downthecorridor  
Years ago

Hopefully the club can get by with the birds in the hand as you say because there are going to be plenty of empty blue seats at the games.

Not to mention a heap of pissed off ppl who feel they have been unfairly targeted and priced out because they cant make it to every home game but still want to support the team. Live foxtel coverage and streaming will be further incentive not to go to games.

This is not the way to go about addressing the clubs financial issues.

Reply #554670 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"If its so expensive to run perth arena how can this price discrepancy be justified?"

Pretty simply, at a guess. The club would much rather receive a large sum of money once per year from a basketball fan than have to advertise and promote to get a small sum for one game, then advertise and promote to get them back for another game, and so on.

Think of how much less effort & expense they'd need to put in if every seat was locked away at the start of the season.

Reply #554671 | Report this post

downthecorridor  
Years ago

Furthermore if the club does react and bring prices down due to low crowds then this would come across at worst manipulative and at best amateurish. They have painted themselves into a corner here.

Reply #554672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DTC, if they are aiming for 9 or ten thousand members, why would they be focusing on pleasing the remaining four thousand potential ticket buyers each week as a priority? That makes no sense.

I'm sorry but you unique situation is not what the club should be focusing on if they can retain almost all members each year.

Reply #554673 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not really, they've operated a pretty successful model for a while now in a mostly unsuccessful industry, I think they're doing pretty darn well.

Most of all, they are on track for a similar number of members once again this season, which is quite remarkable and something no one in basketball in Aus probably thought was possible a few short years ago.

Reply #554676 | Report this post

downthecorridor  
Years ago

Dont think so

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/29772670/salesman-marvin-outlines-his-vision/

Reply #554677 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I know so, undoubtedly. They are one of the great success stories of Australian sport with what they've achieved since almost being broke in the mid 2000s.

What they've done since moving to Perth Arena is special. From those three seasons, overall they've reportedly made over $2 million in profit which is remarkable in the NBL environment. To again be nudging 10,000 genuine members is something other clubs can only dream of.

Reply #554679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like or dislike their pricing model but you can't argue with their results. It's almost as if their M.D. has some idea about what he is doing!

Reply #554680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way! He should be reading internet forums and addressing each complain individually.

Reply #554682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/29772670/salesman-marvin-outlines-his-vision/

Marvin is quoted as saying the Wildcats were propping up other teams over the last few years. There were rumours about this but now it is official. Does anyone know details on who was propped up and how?

Also poor form airing it in public, doesn't look good for the league. But of course it was a story about losses so he couldn't help himself.

Reply #554703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Went to the Wildcats membership website. There are season tickets for $1300-$1400ish hahaha. Perth is on another planet.

Reply #554713 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Anonymous: And the thing is people buy them.

Reply #554774 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Those are courtside seats. Of course they're expensive.

Reply #554828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are nowhere near courtside! According to their website platinum is $1249 and "starts just four rows from the corporate boxes" and captains club is $1399 and is "directly behind the corporate boxes"
The corporate boxes are not even close to courtside either because there are 2 rows of seating courtside and then a very wide walkway before the boxes start and the boxes are several rows deep. The front row of $1399 seats looks to be equivalent to about row 10 of most NBL stadiums.

Reply #554833 | Report this post

Captains Club was only $950 or $999 for renewing members this year.

Reply #554841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$1399 and equivalent to ten rows back. Wow.

Reply #554879 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:38 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754