Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Round 2

... starts tonight.

Wed: SYD-UCC
Fri: DAN-SEQ
Sat: MEL-PER, ADL-SYD
Sun: BEN-PER

NY Liberty centre Carolyn Swords has arrived and is expected to suit up for Sydney. Her + Tinkle = a serious front court pairing.

Topic #38185 | Report this topic

Maxymoo  
Years ago

We'll get a good read on the Lynx after this round.

Reply #554775 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, 2 tough road games within hours.
I won't be too concerned if we go 0-2. It's very early days for this team. Stealing one sure would be nice though.

Reply #554778 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Sydney will be a different team with the 200cm Swords playing.
Great test for SEQ too, if they can beat Dandy away with Phillips and Allen still missing they could definitely win the title this season.

Reply #554780 | Report this post

NBL #1 Fan  
Years ago

I expect Perth to go 2-0 this weekend.

Reply #554822 | Report this post

snafu  
Years ago

If Perth go 2-0 I would call that an upset and amazing. Would be good for the competition as a whole IMO, but don't think it will happen.

Reply #554827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be nirvana for Andy if Griffin signed for the Stars. Guess he'd start work then on trying to get Ibekwe and Stallworth naturalized and into the Opals. ;0)

Reply #555016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flames got the job done last night. Strong front court with Twinkle, Boag, Swords, and Cox still to return.

Reply #555051 | Report this post

A. Bitofa Fan  
Years ago

Strong performance from the Flames. Swords looked sharp, Boag a premium recruit and Twinkle is a little star. Cox still to come.

Reply #555060 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Looks like its going to be a long season for the Caps!

Reply #555294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Caps have a good team with LJ and Monty coming in and Bishop moving off a minute restriction.

In an even season you don't really want to drop too many early games.

Reply #555295 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hanna Zavecz also to return to the side once healthy.
Even without LJ they should have a competitive team pretty soon.

Reply #555310 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

It looks like the same team as last year with a better PG, Still not good enough to match the top teams.

Reply #555345 | Report this post

sportsfan  
Years ago

Kristen Veal playing for melbourne boomers this weekend

http://wnbl.com.au/melbourne_news/kristen-veal-joins-the-family/

Reply #555352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad I found this forum, love me some WNBL and WNBA and glad to see others that really enjoy it.. Thoughts about tonight's game? SEQ Stars away to the Rangers in Dandenong. Both had good wins but SEQ were impressive the other night coming out strong 1st quarter and running away with it. Never in doubt, on the other hand Rangers first half was terrible but gelled well together in the second half and won the game. I think SEQ get it done tonight.

Reply #555378 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

I think the Boomers v Lynx is the game of the round, although they're all really interesting for a variety of reasons.

It seems like the majority of teams are either still getting new pieces in place or facing challenges getting their very best personnel on court.

The start to this season certainly hasn't been disappointing.

Reply #555407 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Kristin Veal? Geez talk about a handy ring-in!
I hope that turns out to be game of the round. If the Lynx can be competitive on the road against the Boomers then they're in good shape.

I struggle to tip this early in the season but the Rangers sound more cohesive this season and on paper they've still got some talent, so I think they'd be hoping to defend home court against the depleted Stars.

For anyone who likes WNBL and Podcasts, can I suggest "Basket Cases".
This week's guest is Shane Heal

http://www.spreaker.com/user/carolwical/basket-case-episode-2-inconclusive-evide

Reply #555414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was there any reason the ABC took the Saturday game away? Really enjoyed watching that. The start of the season has been very impressive and after watching a terrible WNBA Game #5, looking forward to some WNBL action. Is there going to be any games on youtube this weekend to follow?

Reply #555420 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

ABC budget cuts killed their game of the week telecast :(

Dandenong vs SEQ will be live streamed on YouTube at 7:30 EDST this evening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5uxrFa5Bt8

Reply #555423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome, thank you for the link Luuuc..

Do you guys bet on this league at all?

Reply #555425 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not really but I should probably consider it after doing pretty well in the WNBA.

FWIW
Rangers $1.38, Stars $2.95 tonight
Rangers -5.5

Reply #555429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The WNBA is a great league but I feel that it had a bad season this year with the Griner suspension, Glory Johnson being pregnant, Diggins ACL injury, Parker sitting out half a season and Taurasi sitting the entire season. Last season was great, this season was a backwards step IMHO.

I bet on the WNBA as well. Really enjoy betting that league. I dabble a bit into the WNBL as well. I do like SEQ +5.5 if I decide to bet on this game.

Reply #555430 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, resting and injured players really did put a dampener on the WNBA this year, especially in the west. The Olympics will likely hurt it next year too.

I agree that the value is with SEQ in this game, but I won't be touching it.

Reply #555433 | Report this post

amominous  
Years ago

Rangers exposing Stars weaknesses. Game over at the long break, no answer to Rangers front court.

Reply #555535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rangers, biggest team in the comp?

Bunton 6'5
Scherf 6'5
Kennedy 6'4
Pickrel 6'3
Blicavs 6'3

Reply #555545 | Report this post

amominous  
Years ago

Tall team alright. If only they had a point guard.

Reply #555546 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

I think the expectation is that Clydesdale will be that point guard.

Reply #555657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have Todhunter as backup and that's all in the PG spot, though she was challenged last night by SEQ who monsters her on the press. Clydesdale is Rangers starting point guard, not a huge amount of experience, but they are a team that helps each other , think they will be fine, they have lots of ball handlers and Philipps can run a point if need be so to Cummings, for that matter so can Downie !!!!!! Do t think there is a position this lady can't play

Reply #555673 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think people underestimate Clydesdale. She is a very capable player who has been pushed down the rotation for most of her career by Dandenong's big money stars.

Reply #555679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agrred^

Reply #555682 | Report this post

Years ago

Good game by bunton - great see our talls doing well

Reply #555691 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Tonight's odds:

Melbourne Boomers $1.20
Perth Lynx $4.25
Total Points Over/Under: 152.5
Line: Boomers -8.5

Adelaide Lightning $3.01
Sydney Uni Flames $1.35
Total Points Over/Under: 148.5
Line: Flames -5.5

Reply #555701 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

It would be good to see Bunts string a few performances like that together.

Stating the obvious I know, but gee the Stars need Allen and Phillips back soon. Stallworth, Jarry and Mansfield can't carry the teams point production on their own.

I thought the livestream was tremendous and the commentary a step up from the type of thing we've seen in the past on TV broadcasts. Great job. Welcome back Peter Buckle.

Reply #555702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bunton and scherf are our opals bigs of the future. Along with cambage... All under 23.

Jackson, batkovic are close to done.
Francis, tolo, penaluna, bishop, burton have a few years to go.
Obviously the likes of smith, froling and magbegor coming through to... But their mainly pf's and a few years off.

Reply #555704 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lynx get the road win 78-68 over the Boomers

Still waiting for the "LiveStats" to get their shit together to know the full extent of the damage that Louella Tomlinson caused.

Reply #555822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA weren't even able to get the one for the Lightning game working at all.

Reply #555828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow Lynx $4.25

Reply #555831 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

A real Flame-a-thon in the city of churches, just like a reunion. Amazing performances from Lei and Ruefie not enough for the home team. The Sydney team getting a good win. Shannon Seebohm giving everyone some minutes, and garnering timely output from a list of contributors.

Reply #555835 | Report this post

Mel O'McKarona  
Years ago

Wow what's the draft age limit for the WNBA? Anyone think Tessa Lavey could get in?

Reply #555857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey... WNBA... LOL ! Unless of course Joyce gets a WNBA gig :)

Her stats tonight v. Melbourne in 31 mins : 2pts 16%, 2 TO, 1 AS, 2PF

Reply #555864 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Tomlinson is just awesome in this league, Well done Lynx!

Reply #555874 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

are they going to put the temporary stand in at wayville ?

Reply #555879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tomlinson wasn't awesome enough for Molloy the previous year. Tought the lesson hard way last night.

Reply #555893 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Holy cow the Fire are handing the Caps a thrashing for the ages. 87-35 with one quarter left to play :O

Reply #555909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No temporary stand for Wayville, heard the cost of this was going to cost $130k.
Going by the large crowd last night they could of done with another stand. Great atmosphere, very loud, great game for 3 quarters until Adelaide tired and shot 19% from the field in the last.
Mitchell is a star, she'll show Lavey what it takes to play in the WNBA!

Reply #555915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo demolished Perth, Snell couldn't miss, Griffin bringing her usual game.

Perth, Tomlinson did a decent job, their import was also doing well.

Reply #555919 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

44pt loss to the Caps, when will they get a new coach? Patience must be wearing thin for Caps fans.

Reply #555924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to get their full team before we can start making calls like that...

Graf has won a lot of championships.

Reply #555927 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Graf has been struggling for a few years now. The game has passed her, look at what happened when she had control of the Opals, we clearly had the second best team at the Worlds and finished 5th.

Reply #555929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF and then won a Bronze at the Olympics , you idiot. Forgot to mention did you . 7wnbl titles ummm

Reply #555931 | Report this post

Cam  
Years ago

All those mystified by BJ's fascination with Burton have more ammo after today. Griffin absolutely schooled her. Too slow to cope with Griffin's speed and not strong enough to cope with Richards either. Fingers crossed for that naturalisation!!
Bendigo's depth worries me a little, looks like a 7 player rotation only with little scraps for Spencer, McAppion and Chalmers. Oliver has been a bit of an unsung hero and great to see her getting a start. Does a fair impersonation of the energiser bunny and is good at sneaking in on the offensive boards and timing her leap well.

Reply #555933 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Any coach would have won a medal with the team Australia had...Idiot. I know a die hard Caps fan who also thinks its time for the Caps to get a new coach.

Reply #555935 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Agree Cam, some people around here don't even think Griffin would or should make the Opals, I wonder if they actually watch any women's basketball.

Reply #555936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opals lost a crossover game to the host nation Czech Republic in 2010. The Czechs pushed the USA in the gold medal game and we're down by 5 at half time.

If Griffin gets her citizenship she should be placed in the extended squad and try out to make the team like every other player. If she does well in camp and games it would be great to have her on the team.

Reply #555943 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Let's not pretend we shouldn't have beaten the Czechs that year. Cambage, Jackson, Taylor, O'Hea, Snell, Harrower ... that's as strong a team as we have ever fielded, and we managed 5th - our worst result since 1992.
It's generous to say they pushed the USA too. They hung around for a half and then got blown off the court.

As for Griffin, hell yes!

Reply #555966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were some pretty serious chemistry issues with Jackson and Taylor during that world championship campaign which wouldn't of helped.

Geno on a recent Zach Lowe podcast mentioned that they really struggled with the Czechs that year.

Reply #555977 | Report this post

Cam  
Years ago

Certainly not suggesting that Griffin gets any special treatment, she goes through the same process regarding camps etc (dare I say jumps through the same hoops) as everyone else. I just get annoyed when some people seem to argue against her simply because she is not "home grown" and would be taking someone else's place. I think she is our best bet at the 3 on skill but more importantly her effort levels are unparalleled. As a Bendigo member I get to see her every home game and I can never remember her at anything less than 100 mph on court at both ends. This afternoon for example she finished off a fast break and then sprinted past 3 Perth players to get into the paint and grab a defensive board.

Reply #555978 | Report this post

amominous  
Years ago

If she gets Australian citizenship that's a big win for her and she's way ahead on the deal. I can't see what the justification is for offering ANY special consideration to her at the expense of athletes who have progressed through junior to senior levels in our tax-payer funded representative programs.

Reply #555986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a taxpayer I don't mind these foreign flyins. They didn't cost us a cent to develop! Here's to freerolling.

Reply #555989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

blowins rather

Reply #555990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as there's not another Jackson-Taylor type situation that blows up team chemistry, a la the 2010 team referenced above, I reckon Graf can right the ship once all her pieces get in town.

Reply #556070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pick your 12...

Pg's
Phillips, mitchell, madgen, lavey, cole
Sg's
Taylor, allen, ebzery, Garrick, cumming
Sf's
Talbot, griffin, ohea, jarry, kunek, blicavs
Pf's
Francis, penaluna, bishop, Tomlinson, burton
Cs
Cambage, Jackson, batkovic, tolo, bunton

Reply #556086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG - Phillips, Mitchell, Madgen (have a feeling Lavey will get the nod over Tess though)

SG - Taylor, Allen

SF - Ohea, Jarry, Talbot (beyond her years, could handle the pressure)

PF - Jackson,Francis

C - Cambage,Tolo (purely to play on Griner if we play U.S, she has a great record on her)

Reply #556091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: Griffin

I had no issues cheering for Kostya Tszyu, Tatiana Grigorieva, Leroy Loggins, (potentially Thon Maker), Vic Darchinyan, etc. If she is eligible to make the team and wins her spot then great.

My only concern is I haven't seen her play much of the 3. Most of her minutes at Bendigo have been at the 4 and same with the Conn Sun. Hopefully she shows improved 3pt range this season and most importantly gets her papers.

Reply #556099 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm ok with Griffin as an Opal. Everything I hear from her makes it sound like she is serious about loving Australia and making a life here.

Only issue is that she's a 3/4 tweener, and I'm pretty sure that's why Joyce isn't a Bishop fan either.

Reply #556111 | Report this post

Cam  
Years ago

With the loss of Blicavs and Aubry there is no doubt that Griffin will shoulder most of the load at 4 for the Spirit (unless Pritchard runs Burke alongside Richards for any length of time) and her outside shooting is clearly the weakest part of her game. That said there has been plenty of talk about how big USA are and I think her height, leap and competitiveness (what we call mongrel) will be more important at the 3 than her outside shooting. Got a squad of 12 so we can always select others with better range for the games against other countries but even then I reckon Jackson and Taylor in particular would rather have a 25% chance of making the final and a 40% chance of winning it rather than the other way around. They already have a slew of minor medals anyway.

Reply #556233 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I look at it the other way. To me, Griffin is someone who can beat up on lesser opponents and help us reach the last game, but will struggle to do much against the USA other than crash the boards (not that rebounding is a skill to be sneezed at)

But yes, as you say having 12 available should give us the flexibility to throw out some different looks.

(personally I think we're kidding ourselves about actually beating the USA. They've spent the last 10 years getting stronger, while we've spent the last 10 having our elite talent either retire or age, with just Cambage as a truly elite level incomer to the team. But, you can only give it your best shot, you never know on the day, blah blah... )

Reply #556237 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Madgen v Lavey
Madgen had been in bed all week and was throwing up at half time. Result- Madgen 14 points plus rebounds etc. Lavey 2 points no assists and did nothing other than over dribble at the point. I know who I would want to have going into battle.

Reply #556376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two very different players. Lavey a lame PG, off the bench standard in WNBL as Bendigo used her. Madgen is not even a PG. Strong and fi with little PG skills. would normally play as 2/3 man under a coach who knows the importance of a PG.

Reply #556404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we're going by one game samples (eg #556376).

Maddie Garrick was the best guard on the floor and Tomlinson was the best big. Lets put them ahead of the other players and not worry about camp or practice game performance at opals camp.

Above was a sarcastic way of saying that every decent Australian player will get a chance at opals camp and it will be up to the player to perform well in the camp setting.

Reply #556413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tomlinson should be wearing an Opals jersey over Nat Burton

Reply #556425 | Report this post

amominous  
Years ago

that would stretch even Peaks fantastic jersey making skills.

Reply #556452 | Report this post

sportsfan  
Years ago

good to see with the lack of coverage syd uploaded there round 2 game v Canberra https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6d_30QguO4

hopefully more games will be online for all clubs

Reply #556476 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Paul of Ephemeral Images doing good work there. And yes they're going to look at commentary for future games.

Reply #556626 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754