Quiet one
Years ago

Shaq re commits

NBA star Shaquille O'Neal has signed a new five-year contract to stay with Miami in deal worth around $US100 million.

The All Star centre decided not to exercise the final year of his contract, and has decided to commit to the club he joined at the beginning of last season.

"I'm very excited about my new agreement," O'Neal said. "This contract allows me to address all of my family's long-term financial goals while allowing the Heat the ability to acquire those players that we need to win a championship."

O'Neal won three titles with the Los Angeles Lakers before a spat with Kobe Bryant saw him return to Florida, where he began his career with Orlando.

Heat president Pat Riley said the club was delighted to have secured O'Neal long-term.

"For over a year, the Heat's relationship with Shaquille has been a win-win situation on and off the court," he said. "We have been able to secure one of the most dominant men to ever play the game of basketball as a member of the Heat. At the same time, we have gained flexibility to achieve our ultimate goal of winning an NBA championship."

O'Neal started 73 games last season and averaged 22.9 points and 10.4 rebounds. O'Neal has averaged 26.7 points, 12 rebounds and 2.58 blocks a game in his career.

Topic #3819 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

"This contract allows me to address all of my family's long-term financial goals..."

With his previous contract he was obviously struggling to put food on the table...give me a break!

Reply #44435 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Reminds me of Patrick Ewing's comments during a lockout in 1999 or so.

"I might be on $30 million, but you people don't understand how expensive our lives are," or something to that effect.

He got lambasted for it - and fair enough.

Reply #44746 | Report this post

dub zero  
Years ago

with shaq signing a new contract the heat will dominate in their conference

Reply #44973 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Long term goals? that money should last a lifetime.

Reply #46069 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754