Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcats vs Breakers, Oct 16

Perth Arena
Tip off: 9:30pm EST (6:30pm Perth time)
TV: LIVE on FOX Sports News (Foxtel Channel 500)

Another great game tonight.

Who will win?

I'm tipping Perth by 2

Topic #38209 | Report this topic

Is Vukona a game time decision again?

Reply #555344 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I'm most excited to how the crowd will translate onto TV and what the new Foxtel casual audience will think.

The bar will be raised tonight.

Reply #555346 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

What a great night in front of the TV, for basketball fans this is!

Can't see Breakers getting close on current form, so I just hope they get some inspiration from somewhere and have a red hot crack at it...

Reply #555374 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Here's my preview if anyone's interested

http://wildcatsviews.com/2015/10/15/preview-perth-wildcats-vs-new-zealand-breakers/

Reply #555375 | Report this post

Post your review here. Saves me clicking a link, and your comments can be responded to as well.

Reply #555381 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

The whole review? It will be too long for that.

Reply #555386 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Corey Webster cut by Pelicans, Probably returning to Breakers. They could sure use him tonight

Reply #555387 | Report this post

Jerry  
Years ago

If the Breakers play like they did in Adelaide and against the Hawks it wil be a pretty handy Perth win.

Reply #555392 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Cant beleve its their FIRST home game of the season.

Got my red Shirt on, remember my membership pass for a change and am ready to hit the Twilight Market on the way to the game.

Reply #555397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny hitting the twilight market when prior to 6:30pm tipoff it's still bright as. but as long as the east are catered for re timing its ok

Reply #555398 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Perth by 20 (says the guy who tipped Cairns by 15 vs Sydney)

Reply #555400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth obviously

Reply #555404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A great night in front of the TV with a cold beer tonight, watching Fox Sports News (Foxtel Channel 500).

Two great NBL games.

Can't wait!!

Reply #555409 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Funny hitting the twilight market when prior to 6:30pm tipoff it's still bright as. but as long as the east are catered for re timing its ok

huh?

Im coming from work here (work in the CBD) I dont want it any later in the evening (hell I want it at 6). Its a great time!

Reply #555412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Middle of summer later tipoff would be better. 630 is too early

Reply #555417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not everybody works in the CBD.

Reply #555418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you can't make it to Perth Arena, watch the game live on Fox Sports News (Foxtel Channel 500)

Reply #555426 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely Perth get this.

Reply #555428 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes, the Cats really should win this one even without Damo.

Cats $1.31, Breakers $3.46

Seems fair.

Reply #555431 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth should get this and comfortably

Reply #555432 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah Perth easily, wont be too many say ones against the Breakers once Webster is back though, so need to capitalise! I can't see the Breakers having the man power and if anyone gets foul trouble good night. Hope its exciting to watch but Perth will probs just grind it out as per usual...

Reply #555435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll be watching at the Paddo

Reply #555437 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Perth should get this one at home.
Cats by 13.

Reply #555439 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'll be watching at the Perth Arenington Hoops House

Reply #555449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuucccy

Reply #555458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last night's game was fluid. Refs need to improve and apply fouls early to make the cats games fluid and not indoor rugby. You have opponents thinking wtf is going on 4/28 times a year they meet the Cats with a totally different officiating style.

Reply #555461 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth have confirmed that Martin is out.

Reply #555463 | Report this post

Any news on Vukona?

Reply #555467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'll be watching at the Paddo"

Have they said they will have it on? With sound?

Wonder how many will go there to watch it?

Reply #555471 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Should be a very interesting game. Wildcats views, good points in your write up and Jawai is likely to feast on huge slabs of meat under the post. Someone bring a pepper grinder so he can have some cracked pepper. I'm expecting the refs will be sympathetic to Jawai.

Gee, you don't want to sound dire for the (Once were) Breakers, but a loss tonight definitely gets them playing off the back foot early.

However, one thing you Wildcats fans conveniently ignore is the fact that the Breakers are your bogie team. Yep, you can go all full of confidence, but that is like gatorade to the Breaker's thirst.

This is the Cats game to lose. Atua tiakina Zealand hou

Go Breakers!

Reply #555481 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Im pretty sure the Breakers-Perth Roadtrip is the biggest distance traveled to play a game of ball in any league in the world. It will certainly be interesting how teams like the Breakers and the Cats handle the new arrangement and its travel demands.

Reply #555484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope. Try Russia. East to west is way longer with eight hour difference between east coast and western portion timezeones. And all in the same country.

Reply #555485 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Thanks Jack. Look anything can happen. No one expected Townsville to beat the Kings last night. Wildcats still have to prove they can regularly hit the open three. If they miss those shots and Abercrombie and Bartlett hit their's, then they are a chance.
I wouldn't get too down though, even if they do drop this one. Corey Webster looks like coming back, he'll greatly improve the Breakers.

Reply #555486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Have they said they will have it on? With sound?

Wonder how many will go there to watch it?'

Ill ring them now and find out.

Reply #555496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a yes for the big screen at Paddo.

Reply #555498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll watch from my big screen at home while flopping it out.

Reply #555500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'll watch from my big screen at home while flopping it out."

What's your address?

Reply #555503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only if you're hot and female.

Reply #555504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't everyone on the Internet hot and female?

That's the impression I'm under.

Reply #555505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Touche

Reply #555507 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Jack toft you get worse every season!

Reply #555512 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Goulding's flopping is embarassing.

Reply #555527 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wrong thread ^.

Perth play such a boring brand of basketball. Most grind out games this year will probably involve them.

Reply #555543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers are playing much better brand of ball in this game.

Reply #555549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai stinking up the joint.

Reply #555550 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

Hack-a-Outback Shaq!

Reply #555552 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perth are like those 90s Knicks squads... win or lose, it will not be fun to watch.

Reply #555553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually under Bevo they were realy fun to watch.

Reply #555554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bartlett sticking it to the Cats

Reply #555555 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Maybe, but not now.

Reply #555556 | Report this post

downthecorridor  
Years ago

Kenney cant shoot can he? If we cant drive or play elite defence, why is he on team?

Reply #555557 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

They weren't fun under Bevo...

Reply #555559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth needs to start Wagstaff and switch Knight to center because the Breakers bigs are to quick for him.This game is a mismatch for Jawai.

Reply #555560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny actually is a ok 3point shooter he just needs to get aggressive

Reply #555561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats look like a different team after halftime

Reply #555562 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Cats surely will run away with this one... cant believe breakers were this competitive.

Reply #555563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bartlett giving the Breakers a huge lift.

Reply #555566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a game!

Reply #555567 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well, other than the result the Breakers take a lot more positives from that than the Cats do.

As long as Cedric stays healthy they look like they will be there at the business end again. Charles had his detractors during the Blitz but He's got some talent and is a good fit for their line up.

Only saw part of the game but I can't say Prather looks a good fit like Charles does.

Looking forward to seeing both these teams play more.

Reply #555573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee whiz jawai was terrible tonight. Glad to survive that ugly game with a W

Reply #555576 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great game, thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of different players making big plays.

The NZ backcourt of Jackson, Webster and Bartlett looks nice heading further into the season. Perth 2-0 without Martin would have to be very happy, Kenny rock solid, such a patient point guard.

Charles Jackson has just been getting better and better with each game. When/if Pledger gets fit that's a quality centre combo. Concern for them is Wesley, who does some good things but his decision making has been poor this season.

I like Perth's versatility, as long as they keep hitting the three at a solid clip they'll be hard to beat. They don't rely on any one player, although offensively you could say Beal is pretty crucial.

Reply #555577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth played like crap for 70% of the game and managed to win without the best defensive player in the league(and probably the NBL has ever seen)and their starting point guard. I think both teams can improve. I still see these two teams fighting it out in the decider.

Especially if the Breakers get Webster back.

Reply #555578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree lv liked the look of prather. When marto is back the cats are going to be amazing in the passing lanes

Reply #555580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Bartlett a free agent again when Webster returns?

Love if the Cats could grab him somehow.

Reply #555584 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I expect NZ will keep him.

Reply #555587 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Who will the breakers get rid of to fit everyone under the caps? I assume they would be on the maximum already?

Reply #555588 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

This will be an interesting one, haven't followed them hard enough, anyone else playing really poor for them Bartlett could take over from. So many teams could use a guy who is a threat from deep, even the Crocs could use his style of play to add some depth to them.

Reply #555593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think one of gleesons first move when becoming cats coach was to sack Bartlett so no chance coming back id say.

Reply #555595 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Wildcats are boring as shit and they make every team they play against boring by extension. I respect the skill of some of their players (I think Beal is underrated in this league), but Jawai is the only guy I am watching too intently. I much preferred the Melbourne/Adelaide game.

Reply #555597 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Jawai certainly got some serious reaction when he scored both baskets, I'm not sure if that was frustrations from the fans but I think that he will be a cult hero in Perth and why not.

He will improve and so will the Wildcars, I think Kenny needs to be more decisive if he will shoot the three or not, it feels like he psyches himself out

Reply #555598 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Jawai certainly got some serious reaction when he scored both baskets, I'm not sure if that was frustrations from the fans but I think that he will be a cult hero in Perth and why not.

He will improve and so will the Wildcars, I think Kenny needs to be more decisive if he will shoot the three or not, it feels like he psyches himself out

Reply #555599 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think NZ are near the points cap due to loyalty discounts. They might be able to renegotiate a deal or two to keep inside the salary cap with Bartlett.

Reply #555601 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Kenny is a quality guard. He is atleast on par with the best back up point guards in the league. Him and Prewster are two Kiwi's who have proven their worth in the league very quickly.

Reply #555602 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Kennys made that huge 3 in the clutch didn't hesitate on that one! Kiwis killing the Kiwis this round! Agreed, Perth still boring as hell, but Beal is legit and Jawai is interesting in everything he does. Prather is better than I thought, but still he doesnt look like a Cats import type... Would they trade him for Ebi haha

Reply #555603 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm surprised some people didn't enjoy that game. That was blow for blow with players making tough shots to beat good defence. I'd say that was my favourite game of the season so far.

Reply #555604 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bartlett would be a better fit for Perth than say Hire. Or Jervis.

They'd be a better team if they made a change like that. But realistically as if it will happen.

Reply #555605 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Do Perth rely on Beal more than any team relies on anyone?

It's a totally different reason but it reminds me of the Tigers of 2013/14. They were a semi final team but Goulding played nearly 40 minutes a night. They didn't have many other scorers so they couldn't take him off! It's looking like No one else does what Beal can do for Perth.

Reply #555608 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they rely on the perceived threat that is Beal more than they rely on Beal producing each game.

Reply #555609 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Agree Paul. I watched most of the second half of NZ Perth and was enthralled. Melbourne game tonight had the odd highlight but on the whole it was a poor game.

Reply #555610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I enjoyed the game too Paul. I think you'll find the guys making negative comments are from cats haters. Regarding those who say beal is relied on heavily yes this is true but let's not forget we are missing our starting point guard and have short guard depth even at full strength

Reply #555611 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hey if he stays healthy it'll be fine.

Tigers won a championship with Braith Cox as a backup point guard!

(Although I suppose Tucker could have played point forward if the need arose. It just would have meant a bit of a reshuffle, pardon the Tigers pun).

Reply #555614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was pretty impressed by prather tonight. Seems a consummate team guy and excudes positive energy just as much when his teammates make nice plays as he does for his own. Showed great competitiveness in the boards in those closing stages and is versatile and impactful on D. Good finisher around the basket and surprised with his passing too. Obviously the jumpshot is the weakness but hes still a pretty good overall package. Only negative is he seemed to get caught up on off ball screens a lot but should improve as he learns opposition playing styles and tendencies.

Reply #555615 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh and to be clear at what I was getting at, the Tigers were really reliant on a 41 year old D-Mac who wound the clock back and played incredible ball that year.

Reply #555617 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Certainly wasn't a pretty game but I enjoyed it as a contest.
Jawai had a stinker but I'd like to think that was an exception to what he'll normally give us. I didn't feel like those big cheers from the crowd were ironic. They seem to love him already.
Not sure about the criticism here of Prather. I thought he was good value. And continued his streak that started in the preseason of clanging a huge dunk attempt off the ring. Glad he was ok after that ... I was crapping myself for a while when he wasn't getting up.

Reply #555618 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Abercrombie alley, the Charles Jackson alley and Prather dunk. Would have been three of the plays of the season so far but all missed!

Reply #555619 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Holt's dunk went down tonight though :-)

Reply #555625 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Game night promo of the season to date must go to P&N Bank, who unwittingly provided around 5,000 cardboard frisbees to the crowd. I feel blessed to have defied the odds and exited the arena unscathed.

Reply #555631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Prather nearly-jam would have been top 3 for the year

Reply #555632 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Be nice to see Shaq get the odd call - the holding was ridiculous at times

Reply #555634 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Prather showed some character with his hustle. He looks a little more in the Deandre Daniels mould than James Ennis, but atleast he gets after it when the coach gets into him.

Reply #555636 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Enjoyed that gane , was a bit ugly at times but some really good battles . Anyone know who the court side announcer was tonight . I thought he was really good.

Reply #555637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Brad Robbins did a good job commentating for Fox so did the lead guy whatever his name was.

Reply #555639 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Jawai is likely to feast on huge slabs of meat under the post. Someone bring a pepper grinder so he can have some cracked pepper. I'm expecting the refs will be sympathetic to Jawai.

Ha! Refs seem to think he's big enough to look after himself and doesn't need to be protected by rules. I can't comment too much on the 1st half, as I sit near the southern baseline, but he got mugged everytime he went near the basket in the 2nd.
Are the refs just too short to see what happens to his arms??

But hey, he must have the strongest fingertips in the world, just see the way he propelled that NZ player backwards across the court, just by touching.
Either that or he was using "the Force."

Reply #555642 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Oy vey.

Glad that's over.

Should have known Bartlett was going to explode against us. Some amazing shooting by Abercrombie at times tonight.

Reply #555643 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

You know you need another guard when...

Greg Hire is running Point!

Gees Louise we need Damo back.
I'm getting a bit worried when they said last week would be a "game night decision," and a week later its the same story.
Plus I wonder how he'll be when he does make it back? When Hire returned from his calf injury, late last season he basically couldn't jump.

I was reasonably impressed with Kenny. Considering he was brought in as backup PG, he does ok. Drained that clutch 3 in the dying minutes, and looked good running the ball.

I'm warming to Prather as a ROLE player. He runs the ball nicely, cuts the key well.
He really puts the SMALL in SF, but the good news is that Perth have the flexibility to put the bigger players out there when needed.
I just want to see him get on the end of some more fast breaks, that's where he could really do some damage.

And yes, if Beal gets injured, we might as well all go fishing.

Reply #555644 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't like the Prather/Knight/Jawai starting combo. Not enough floor spacing.

Also don't particularly appreciate the announcement post-game of the Melbourne-Adelaide result, given I hadn't watched it yet.

Reply #555646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ironic that kenny gets a key three down the stretch, nails the breakers. Yet over the years kenny has trained with the breakers and never got a chance. And when there was a chance, vickerman went for McDonald. Someone who had no history with the breakers only was a mate of vickerman.

He went for McDonald over Bartlett and other options as well.

I'm filthy on vickerman for this.

Reply #555652 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kenny was fantastic last night purely because he perfected his role. He is a very good pick up for an NBL team.

Proud, I know you want Kenny to be more decisive when shooting the 3.

I think its great that he isn't going gun-ho. Hes one of the more intelligent players in the league and knows what he is capable of.

What I have found really creeping into the league is a lack of IQ and players not playing within their means.

Wesley, Vukona, Ced all jacking up threes when the stats suggest what they shoot way outside what could be a normal acceptable %. Its refreshing to have a guy who knows his role and knows what he can and can't do.

Reply #555655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macdub - agree

Reply #555658 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id be concerned with Martin too, UNLESS they took the risk, saw how the Breakers played at Illawarra and figured they'd take their chances and get him 1 more games rest. Hopefully its the latter, not my favourite team, but anytime you play a rival your want them at full strength.

Reply #555660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why was vukona shooting so many long jumpers last night even a few threes. That's not normal is it?

Reply #555663 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"When Hire returned from his calf injury, late last season he basically couldn't jump."

You say that like those 2 things are somehow connected ;)

Reply #555669 | Report this post

Paul, i didn't like the game because from a Cats fan POV, it was lacking in effort and intensity from the home team in the first half. It was like they were walking through the offense at practice int he first half. Missed layups and free throws doesn't help either.

One play where Wagstaff tried an up and under in the post and it was incredibly slow, which results in the defender blocking his shot. Slowing the game done is one thing, actually moving in slow motion is another. Not a good way to get the crowd involved.

Reply #555671 | Report this post

Jerry  
Years ago

I think the Breakers bigs resorting to 3pt shooting was a strategy. They were trying to stretch the Perth bigs and get Jawai and Knight out of the paint and open up the driving lane for their guards.

It is not easy to score in the paint when you have two monsters parked in there like Perth does. You either have to put the ball on the floor and beat them with quickness or resort to jumpers.

Reply #555696 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Here's my take on the game - http://wildcatsviews.com/2015/10/17/recap-perth-wildcats-vs-new-zealand-breakers/

Warning, it's very long!

Reply #555719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai was getting mugged all night and got nothing.

Kenney has a text book shot, he needs to take more threes because they will drop with his technique.

Reply #555720 | Report this post

Crowd of about 11,500 last night. If they have 7,500 members then pretty good effort to sell 4000 seats, despite downthecorridor predicting that no one would buy any.

Reply #555741 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Don't think so.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/29772670/salesman-marvin-outlines-his-vision-salesman-marvin-outlines-his-vision/

Reply #555744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great appointment of Michael Aylen for the game last night, the best ref the league sent to Perth in the regular season. Usually he doesn't travel that far unless for playoffs. Experienced ref setting the tempo and not the usual ridiculous grind/hacking by the Wildcats due to weak refs letting the huge crowd get to them.

Agreed though Wildcats offense is the worst to watch in the league but despite it they are a good team. One less Te Rangi brick and who knows though.

Reply #555763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching replay.

On offense Jawai is a black hole lmao

Reply #555806 | Report this post

Mel O'McKarona  
Years ago

Ok what is the deal with the website nbalivescorenow.com ??
They appear to take normal articles written in English and put them through a synonym generator or something. The results are pretty weird.
For example this Cats-Breakers game report

Kiwi local breaks Breakers' hearts
http://nbalivescorenow.com/?p=15222

Reply #555856 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"After a delayed start, Prather's charge and pushing valid critical, including a chest-pounding arrangement after creation a layup"

But at least Knight came in Adult Large.

It is, to do something through the back translation and Google, as this joke.

Reply #555860 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:48 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754