Sydney Kings crowd number last night?

Anyone know the official attendance?

Topic #38211 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Reply #555358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I ask where you got that figure from?

Reply #555362 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Crowd looked poor

But what do they expect with a Thursday night home game, sandwiched between two Saturday night games?

I understand the reasoning behind having week night games and perhaps that is a necessary evil of the Foxtel deal, but I think having so many home games in quick succession for Sydney and Melbourne is ridiculous. (And away games for other teams eg Townsville).

I expect to see a similarly poor crowd in attendance next Wednesday for Melbourne's home game.

Reply #555364 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Is it a poor crowd?

I recall NRL games with about that many spectators and a couple of very low AFL crowd figures recently too, not to mention how bad some cricket crowds are.

These are all capable of holding many more in their out door stadiums than the NBL can in our indoor venues.

Give me a % of the total venue seating capacity used and then let's talk about if it is a poor crowd or not...

Reply #555369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV at least the game rated really well on Fox Sports News (Foxtel Channel 500).

That is very important

Reply #555376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As always the crowd number is on the match report not sure why ppl keep asking where.

Also Crocs still hiding last weeks crowd number.

Reply #555389 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Rabbitohs regularly pulled only about 4000 to home games before the Russell Crowe bandwagon came to town.

Reply #555394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The city of Sydney has never been big in terms of live sports attendance. Melbourne are the direct opposite. If you check historic crowd numbers nothing has changed between 40 years ago and now with footy crowds.

Reply #555395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As always the crowd number is on the match report not sure why ppl keep asking where."

Really? Where? Link?

Reply #555399 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The Kings need to play many home games at SEC early in season because it's being demolished and they don't want too many games out at the black stump of Sydney - Homebush.

Reply #555411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yuck Homebush. What will the Kings do next year? Is it Homebush for the forseeable future :|

Reply #555415 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

3000 would be the minimum that Sydney would want to get though, despite what night of the week its played. Let's hope they can lift those numbers to around 4,000 at the low end.

Reply #555419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3050 is correct. http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums_crowds.php?id=114

Where is the match report published? It always was on ta copy of the official score sheet.

Reply #555434 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Wouldn't be too worried. Midweek game against the worst team in the league with the biggest draw (Childress) out.

Reply #555436 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Throw Childress in the mix and fans will come for that alone. Sucks he is out for 2-4wks but for on the fence fans that could be all they need to stay away and watch live elsewhere. Win or lose though subconsciously thats always a good thing for the average fan, I'm actually just surprised there aren't more die hard Kings supporters, they've always had atleast one highlight reel import, just that they haven't won enough I guess and when they did it was dull style.

Reply #555445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep dull Goorj ball lol

Reply #555454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what influence does Goorj have over the Kings style all these years later? Nothing.

Reply #555455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be more worried if they only get 3000 tomorrow. Considering they have 2 home games in 3 days more people would be interested in seeing the Saturday one especially since Townsville aren't a massive drawcard.

Reply #555456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"when they did it was a dud style"

learn what past tense is.

Reply #555459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #455 learn what past tense is.

Reply #555460 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

I've been critical of Kings marketing in the past but they seemed to do a good job with last night's game which was midweek and lacking the star power of Childress or a big-drawing visiting team.

You could get tickets for as cheap as $7.63 and members could get additional free tickets.

Reply #555464 | Report this post

hikikomori  
Years ago

the thing is

The nbl shouldnt worry about crowd numbers at games for midweek games

Not when theres something for the australian sports market to watch? Its not an australian sports market behaviour to go to games midweek (even though basketball is played on weeknights in America)

and right now the nbl is a perfect product for the tv (2 hours, close games)

Reply #555469 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Crowd figure is on the Kings match report

Reply #555473 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Homebush is around 4,500. You'll find most or all of Homebush games will sell out. Sponsors don't like it out there though.

Reply #555476 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

3000 isn't great for a huge city. I dont want to get too high and mighty, but check out what we're doing in little old Perth. I've never been to Sydney but small crowds seem like a cultural thing over there. A lot of NRL matches draw poor crowds, but they do get high TV ratings.

I guess Sydney folk just like to stay at home

Reply #555490 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Nat, sponsors and fans don't like it out there. If Sydney is Australia then Homebush is alice springs.. The Kings will be playing at Wentworth park where there is currently a greyhound track, it is an amazing location as its in the suburbs with 100s of restaurants nearby. It's across the road from Sydney fish markets and on a bus line that goes all the way out west. Let's hope this happens asap

Reply #555522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a big crowd but I think it was a decent turnout considering it was a midweek game against the Crocs (probably the lowest drawing team) with Childress out and another game 2 days later. Also doesn't help that it costs $30 to park near the SEC.

Reply #555547 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

3000 on a Thurs isn't terrible, especially if the two Saturday crowds around it are good, and the fans certainly got into the game late.

Reply #555582 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

I dont want to get too high and mighty, but check out what we're doing in little old Perth

Unfortunately, Basketball just isn't very popular in Sydney.

Reply #555665 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754