Anonymous
Years ago

Mcneail to be replaced

Is this the end for Mcneail? The Age is reporting he may be replaced. Thoughts on a replacement?

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-201516-adelaide-36ers-coach-joey-wright-says-injury-could-see-import-kenyon-mcneail-replaced-20151016-gkbg3t.html

Topic #38215 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

A bit of a cop out if they let McNeail go yet keep Ere. McNeail has a valid excuse while Ere has no excuse for being out of shape and out of form.

Reply #555692 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Please make it happen.

Reply #555693 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

best quote of that article is the melbourne coach saying "That stuff doesn't occur to me - I'm not that smart" about us changing our line up for Warrick.

What the hell are you there for if you cant pick that up...

Reply #555698 | Report this post

McNeaill is the nicest guy out and is also a pretty skilled jump shooter. If his shoulder holds up fine he'd be a nice keep.

On the contrary we've got Ebi, chilling out doing not much at all beside looking overweight and playing overweight too.

Id rather wait on Kenyon, than play Ere. Splashing one or two threes and bricking 5 whilst lugging extra kilos around doesn't make you a winner in anybodies book.

Reply #555699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong import to chop.
well done sixers

Reply #555700 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I don't think its a matter of "wrong import to chop". Based on what Joey said, its entirely due to McNeail's injury. I'll be disappointed if he has to go, because I think he would've been a good player for us, but it sounds like Joey thinks we can't afford to wait for his injury to heal.

If we're going to cut him, so be it, but I really hope they only do it if they are willing to bring in a star in his place. There's no point bringing in someone mediocre. Gibson clearly needs big-time help in the backcourt.

Reply #555703 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Could this be the interest which Homicide Williams was talking about?

I worry about who Wright will replace Kenyon with, this is why I would prefer to wait on Kenyon and ship Ere out on the next plane.

We could do worse than Kenyon, we would struggle to do worse than an aging, overweight chucker.

Joey does not have the best record with imports at the 36ers. His want to get bargains usually results in mid year changes.

Reply #555708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #555709 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Corey Webster is signing with us?!?!

Reply #555711 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Unfortunately it looks like the injury will not go away and is having a significant impact on his game.

I like McNeail, I think he would rate as a solid mid tier import in the NBL, and if its true he is paid minimum then bonus.

Would like him to stay but if the injury does not allow then its tough.

Reply #555712 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Homicide Williams is 38 so hopefully not.

"Joey does not have the best record with imports at the 36ers. His want to get bargains usually results in mid year changes"

Ervin and Wilson were great players.

Wright is smart enough to pick solid Australian players first and then with money left over he goes for a budget import. If you have limited money to spend on an import you aren't going to get a Josh Childress. Both Frye and Montreal were serviceable for the money they were getting paid. Frye could have continued on but he was taking away from Creeks development. Montreal was replaced by Motum.

Before getting injured McNeail looked like a diamond in the rough.

Reply #555717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

homicide was on the Aussiehoopla pod and said he had been approached by a coach but didn't want to join part way through the season so he won't be playing NBL.

Reply #555724 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree Wilson and Ervin were outstanding gets, just strange he didnt go for a similarly dynamic guard this time, the formula has worked the past two years. Interesting to see how this style of lineup plays out, too early to tell though, they've only played about 10-12 minutes of bad basketball so far.

Reply #555725 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Agreed wrong import to cut, if McNeal is cut due to injury, then so be it, but how injured is he if he is playing 21min and making 3-8 wheres as Ebi is playing same minutes and going 3-12... and injured guy cant play at this level for 21minutes, so basically he has become Joey's scapegoat. Cut both, reload and perhaps Joey would be best to take some other peoples advice on who to select, based on quality and what the fits the team instead of buddies.

Reply #555736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DQ anyone? Gunner off bench cheap option with good size at the 3/4 then sack Ebi and load up on legit import....

Reply #555737 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Please no. Id be cutting both, getting one legit guy, one guy is easier to teach to integrate into the team that already has some legit talent, and play the likes of Sobey more than 8-10 minutes.

As it is, if you didn't know Ebi at all, and he had had all his previous success anywhere else in the world, can you imagine how much more pressure would be on the club to cut him loose. So basically he is getting an out of jail card at this stage for great work put in 8 years ago.... 8 years ago.

Reply #555740 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Six. You were very wrong on last year's import, perhaps you should be a little more open minded on this year's. Yes he needs to improve, but you speak as if there is no possibility of that happening.

Reply #555746 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wasn't all that wrong about Wilson, he was told too pull his head in, they had him rooming with Motum to try and get them on the same page and it finally clicked. And not a second too late. Have you seen his body lately, I'm sue he wont make up enough ground to be a factor and help the 36ers make a title run.

Reply #555747 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wilson ended up serviceable, and being in shape allowed him to simply focus on his game and style. My point there is Ebi so far out of shape and hardly played in the preseason that simply changing his style is only half the battle. Same import type story every bloody year at this club. But we all have opinions, and none them are wrong. I would love to eat my words sooooo hard on this one, and have Ebi start making huge make after huge make, or pass, dont see how it happens though.

Reply #555748 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Serviceable? Opposition coaches voted Wilson into the All-Second Team, and from memory he just missed the1st team. So either the people who watch the most footage of the league had no idea or you were (and still are) even more wrong than I thought.

Reply #555749 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Second team all NBL is ok but there is only like 8 teams, so you'd hope our key import could make the top 10 in the league... he had some great scoring games but when he started rounding it out and getting others involved wow he became valuable towards the end of the season. I dont know the stats, but he definitely changed the way and times he got his stats when the 36ers went on that run and that play was worthy of the accolade for sure.

Look Wilson is a completely separate situation. If the 6ers bring in Motum and a DJ equivalent half way through this season, I'm sure Ebi would have less pressure on him to ball hog too... so maybe that is in the works smh.

Reply #555751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally would rather the club be patient with McNeail, even put him on injury waivers or something, keep him around as he seemed to fit in when healthy, could be a real find and affordable going forward, could have turned into our Lisch.

With NBA cuts starting to happen, plenty of talent is coming available so not the worse time to be on the import market, so hopefully we can find someone good if the move is made.

We need a import who can score atleast 15pts and be a solid 3 point shooter,

I personally wished we had just kept Ervin around form 2 years ago, he fit in with the team on the floor and we had success and he wanted to stick around. ah well

Reply #555752 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So was he a key import or serviceable? You were and continue to be way over the top with your comments on Wilson, at least this time the guy you're talking about is actually struggling. Given Ebi has good form in his past few seasons and is coming off a calf injury he deserves some time, but that can't last for much longer.

Reply #555753 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Paul, mate no one cares about Wilson anymore, its my opinion that his stat line which helped his cause hurt the team before Motum and DJ arrived, so he was serviceable in my opinion. Once the team FINALLY clicked and couldn't seem to lose he became key, as he fit in with what the TEAM was trying to achieve.

Ebi is simply out of shape over the hill, taking the coin and doesnt in my opinion have the goods left in the tank to turn it all around... hence if they are making cuts, id look at him at the same time, and see who is getting cut around the NBA circles. No one is right or wrong with this stuff its simply opinion, i pay my money just like you we all love the game and we use sites like this to let our opinions out. Let the Wilson stuff go, if it helps you, hindsight id rather have him returning than Ebi.

Reply #555754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leauge office weighed Ebi and told the Sixers that's two imports worth right there.

In all seriousness cut both.

Reply #555758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I quite like McNeail, so disappointing if true. But if they don't see him getting to 100% soon then I'm fine with it. Re Ebi I think it depends on the replacement. If Adelaide were able to find a pretty good import then I actually don't mind the idea if Ebi being a 6th man and giving an offensive spark off the bench.

Reply #555769 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

You obviously have passion Kobe, but why are you ALWAYS dogging on your team? Like, always?? It just seems the Sixers can never do anything right in your eyes.

Face it, you were wrong on Wilson. You can have your opinion, but when you're flat out wrong people will call you on it.

As for Ebi, I've previously said I don't reckon they should kneejerk BUT, like Paul and others have said, he has to come good quickly.
I too would like them to keep Kenyon, I reckon he could be "serviceable" in this league for sure. But if his injury is bad, then you're left with little option.

I also agree with Marcus, this team also needs more out of its Aussies. It amazes me there's never any heat on Gibbo. He played well last night, but that's the first decent game he's had. He needs to take over more games, given his ability. Creek, Petrie and DJ have for the most part been out of form and to date and Walker has given nothing really. Sobey and Hodgson have had their moments. So it's not all on the imports.

Reply #555770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi may be a two birds one stone proposition. Think about it Sixers have no naming rights sponsor. So hit up Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig or Lite n Easy and allow them follow Ebi's "progress" from now to the end of the season. Win win.

Reply #555773 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

There has been a lot to be frustrated with i guess. Maybe i have too higher expectations, but DQ was a dud Wilson ended up great, ONCE we were basically able to trade BJ and DQ for Motum and DJ... and before that all went down the team was not going to make a run. And Wilson was frustrating to watch others saw it too.... the dribbling too much etc BUT i was happy to see and admit that all he needed was better support.

This is a new issue, this guy is out of pro level shape, thats a genuine frustration for a fan to have. I keep asking myself, if Joey wasn't friends with him, based on his current form and body type, would he be in the team.... i dont think he would.

Im not the only one who is saying this, guess I'm just the only one who is pushing it.

Reply #555776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Sixers have any bye rounds this season? If so book Ebi in for mandatory fat camp that week.

Reply #555778 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Haha ohh anon stop it!

Reply #555779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I run a fat camp called Thinspiration. Ebi is more than welcome. Hey Sixers I'll contra the camp fee for my business logo on the back of #23's jersey.

Reply #555780 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Don't think that will be a fair swap.

Reply #555783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a funny schedule the 36ers have two bye rounds in Rounds 11 and 13.

It means we only play ONE game from the 13th Dec-7th Jan.

Reply #555786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Book him in!

Reply #555789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, Ebi's form for every season before this one helps us none and is a non-factor. If you know an import is coming in as a role guy (Gruber) then you don't expect much from them. However, Ebi was brought in to spread the floor and make the big shots...he isn't doing either. If you watch a game he just labours around and he is so slow and unathletic now that it isn't at all difficult to shut him down (watch the Perth game).

Kobe24 is right there was talk of Wilson stat building, disharmony between he and Gibbo and he was told just before they went on their run to pull his head in and play a team game.

Joey doesn't have a great track record of picking imports, best he has picked in recent times would be Deleon...Ervin and Wilson were already in the League and proven so they don't count in my book.

Snooch, I have said many times that Gibbo is overrated and no, he didn't have a good game last night...he scored 8 of his points in the last 5 minutes when the game was over - that's not good enough if you ask me! Sure he finished with 17 points which looks like a good game but stats don't tell the whole story (ala Wilson) Also, if it weren't for DJ this team would be in a lot worse state than it is right now.

McNeail will take the whole season to recover from a shoulder injury if he keeps trying to play with it. If he rests it he'll miss too much of the season anyway - for that reason, he needs to be replaced.

Ebi should never have been signed in the first place and should also be cut and replaced.

I just wish for once we would get the team right from the start!

Reply #555802 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anon thanks for that, I knew I wasn't going completely insane and being too passionate and not rational enough! Agree with all that, even the Gibbo stuff, I guess right or wrong, him being and Aussie and not using up a valuable import spot takes the negative feedback off him.

Mostly same as yourself just wish we could put together a talented team from the get go and just go about winning games.

Reply #555804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jahii Carson is available. Would be a good fit at Adelaide.

Reply #555821 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Wilson was not great period. Threw up a lot of bricks. He was ok at best. Ervin was way better for us imo.

Reply #555826 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Gibson disappears for half of the game. He will have a good quarter and than spend the rest of the game watching it on court and forgetting he is not on the sidelines.

When Gibbo put effort in and actually looked for his own opportunities he had one of the best, and most complete games for an aussie this decade. He doesn't seem to want to do that too much, though.

Gibbo is a 'solid' player, who actually has still not recognised his full potential.

Ebi realised his potential years ago, and now he is a has been.

I also agree, the good import pick ups Joey has made have been obvious calls to make. Otherwise he is scouting for the most out-of-shape hasbeen from the Mongolian B league as a diamond in the rough.

But to his credit, he can't be blamed for Scott Christopherson.

Reply #555827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe24...I'm just sick of all the excuses from everyone and playing the wait game - it's the same every bloody year! Just get the team right from the start...other teams are able to do it.

Reply #555829 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I feel ya! And you get shot down for having a negative opinion... I remember feeling pretty positive when the team got properly assembled last season, it felt like the 36ers of old for a while. If Motum had not gone down at the end of that Cats game who knows...

Reply #555832 | Report this post

Basket Hanger  
Years ago

I agree withe post about Gibbo. Just not getting it done consistently. Started last night's game in great form and didn't carry it on. Scored some in the last quarter but few and far between!
His body language is that he only plays when he wants to. He's one of the first guys to be on social media spruiking clothes, gyms, social occasions etc but when the game is on the line he often goes missing.

Reply #555839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo is as to blame as the imports, especially given he would have a higher price tag

If they make the import moves id change both for one star, as close to a James Ennis or Scottie Wilbekin level as we can get, just get a min salary aussie to round out the roster

Reply #555843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo seems to just go through the motions? Dribbles up court then passes it off to a player right next to him and he's done. Umm you're the PG bro.

Reply #555849 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Unless they had too roster wise, I wouldn't even be bringing in a cheap Aussie, go a stud import, potentially hold the other up your sleeve and get Sobey Hodgson more minutes.

Reply #555861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea could they go star import and move carlin into the 10?

Reply #555866 | Report this post

Bretts The Man  
Years ago

Well as team was getting assembled we all had a right to get excited about season ahead with the aussie players signed.
So we all waited to see who our imports were and even on announcement of McNeill left us a little flat ( but lets see ) as gathered he was the cheap import.
But when Ere was announced as our main import it was a little disappointing as had been away a long time and obviously was getting near that retirement age even for basketballer .
But none of us expected to see him turn up in such poor physical shape and all involved should be ashamed pf this.
Now great posters like Kobe24 gets criticised for being negative ,
Now anybody that has seen on Fox even some of the games can analyse that unless we do something about our imports then we are going to finish bottom 2 or 3 .
Now I agree that Gibson is really frustrating in his levels he plays at and seems to go through motions at times and not take ownership like previous star.
As can't see replacing both imports I would replace Ere and just rest McNeil and give time to others until fully fit.
But we know Wright will go the easy way and keep Ere

Reply #555884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just throwing it out there how are Daniel Dillon and Ben Madgen enjoying Europe???

Reply #555888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers may be eyeing NBA training camp cuts as a pool of potential imports.

Reply #555898 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

'may' but probably aren't. Knowing Joey he is eyeing off someone playing in Mongolia's B league.

Reply #555899 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

You must love that Mongolian B league joke ay Mark

Reply #555900 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I tried to think of another obscure place for a league, but Mongolia always tops the list. Mongolia is my go-to obscure league.

Reply #555901 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Brett.

The article suggested that Joey believes McNeail's injury may take longer to heal than reasonable (within the teams needs and timeframe).

Therefore, it would be prudent to let McNeail go and keep Ere for stability.

Again, I wish McNeail would get better soon and show us just how good he is, but there isn't enough time it seems.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ebi really step it up to cover for McNeail should he be let go.

Reply #555908 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

McNeail averages less than 12 minutes per game. And that is heavily boosted by the 20:47 he played on Friday. If Ere was going to step up in his absence, he already would be showing signs of that, which he isn't.

Reply #555910 | Report this post

Bretts The Man  
Years ago

Do you not understand that you don't get younger overnight or you don't get fit all of a sudden .
He is not going to get to the pace of the game to do the numbers we require and expect and easter bunny coming to visit you Marcus.

Reply #555920 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ebe is going to step up because the other import who hardly plays is injured? Thats the hope? Id be more than happy for him to step up regardless... mcnaeil hasnt really done anything... anything at all. So not much big shoes to fill and step up into. Strecthing for glass half full 3 games in i guess.

Reply #555928 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:24 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754