Anonymous
Years ago

Bring back Melbourne Tigers!

Enough is enough bring back the Tigers!!!! Get it going. I'm not feeling United.

Topic #38244 | Report this topic

Matthew  
Years ago

Tough Bickies! Support United or GTHO!

:)

Reply #556506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bugger the Tigers, bring back the Dragons!

Reply #556508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DODO SAYS NO !

Reply #556510 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Basically while United exists there wont ever be the Tigers. United own the name, they just arnt using it.

Reply #556515 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The sh!t thing about all of this is that the United crowds haven't justified the change. Yet, at least.

The rationale given was:
- The Tigers brand is hard to sell.
- People from other competing junior clubs aren’t jumping on board.

Given those two justifications, IF Kestleman was right, then with 18 months of United marketing and making grass roots connections, we would see improvements in crowds. But we haven’t.

The first two games of the season saw crowds of 7,009 and my estimate for Game 2 was around 5,000 - 5,500 (I haven’t seen an official figure). That’s not good enough, given that:

- 5 game membership games are chosen by the club. The club chose the opening two games. So hundreds, if not thousands, of people attended both games but won’t be attending tomorrow vs Townsville.
- Full season memberships were going quite cheap this year. Prices were very reasonable.
- The Tigers had 4 games in Hisense during 2013-2014 and all 4 had crowds of over 6,000. Their last game had 7,500.

It will be interesting seeing the crowds tomorrow. They’ve been trying desperately to give tickets away. Last Friday, they let any junior rep players in for free (it is rep off season) and a Sportstix deal offered 43% off. This week, so far I’ve seen:
- Sportstix.com.au offering 43% off Silver tickets again.
- United facebook spruiking 20% off all tickets with a promo code.

So with all this advertising, marketing, etc, they still haven’t achieved substantial improvements over the Tigers crowds. This suggests it was a waste of time.

Reply #556519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south dragons!!!! run out od SBC!!!!

Reply #556520 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

They can keep the United brand, just release the Tigers one / licensing / IP.

They basically killed all that history to a degree, apart from the fact that people still know them as the team that used to be called the Tigers. Fail.

Didn't they learn anything from the Sydney Spirit failure?

Reply #556523 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

So now we are going to have five coaches going at it in an NBL game! - two on the sidelines and in the huddles and three out on the court, in black and white, or grey, or whatever.

The NBL referees co-ordinator is quoted as saying he is asking referees to "use their voices before using their whistles", which encourages them to coach - instruct players - during the game action and is yet another distraction from them doing their job, which is ensuring players play within the rules so we have a game of basketball instead of the other stuff so many teams and coaches seem intent on dishing up.

How I would love to see a concerted effort, over a month or two, at least, on having the referees using their whistles, instead of their voices, to keep players within the rules. I strongly suspect we would all be pleasantly surprised by the high-quality, exciting basketball we'd be getting at the end of such a focused effort.

That said, such an approach would need some effort to ensure the refs can recognise - and instinctively react to - what the rules say is the way things r should be, because that 'intuitive recognition' of what is 'right' has been at least impaired, and often seems to have been lost, by years [I use the term intentionally] of seeing so much illegal play that the illegal has become the 'norm' and so 'intuitively acceptable'.

Please, please, can we go back to calling the game so the game is played as it was intended, with a fair contest between players within the rules, which minimise but don't eliminate the benefits of strength, and a reasonable balance between offence and defence?

And before we start hearing from those who believe you can't have an exciting dunk without a player taking three or four steps, or post play without the defender bear-hugging the attacker, or the offensive man body-slamming the defender out of his or her legal position, you can still get 'exciting play' within the rules. We might even get more of it - and I strongly suspect we would.

Reply #556532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF POP?

Go Dragons!

Reply #556533 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

lol

Reply #556535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The United trial has failed. Management was wrong as predicted. Time to bring back the Tigers.

Reply #556538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say the United experiment has worked. The tigers were boring and while I hate getting rid of old teams the Tigers didn't excite me. The uniform change has been great but still the same old boring court side announcer who hasn't got new material in 15 years

Reply #556542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV. Given that the SNAHC couldn't fill a 3500 seat stadium whats changed? Nothing.

Reply #556545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D R A G O N S

Reply #556549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D R A G O N S

Reply #556550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

E A T 'E M U P

Reply #556551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D R A G O N S

Reply #556552 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Bring back the City of Sydney Astronauts

Reply #556556 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Victoria Titans

Reply #556558 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I love the idea of a United and Tigers rivalry. With the right media attention, United could at some point sell the name, and the rivalry if marketed right could make a for Collingwood Carlton type of thing... again thats is a COULD, big could. As a Basketball fan outside of Melbourne, it'd be cool to see the Tigers back, loved to hate them.

Reply #556559 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I think you will see the Tigers brand released in 2-3 years once the united thing gets going. They know if they release it now it could make United's fans jump ship.

Reply #556562 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Yep change to the Tigers and bring back the Dragons - Along with Brian Goorjian!

Reply #556565 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah thats what i was hoping for. The rivalry could be epic, especially with them owning the Tigers name, its very personal. The marketing opportunities could be huge.

Reply #556566 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

The name United is so boring, and so are the uniforms

Reply #556567 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

I urge all you Tigers fans to visit this site

http://wearenotmelbourneunited.com

Reply #556568 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I was referring to baller#3... I dont mind United, fun squad to watch this season, easier to watch without Worthington I guess!

Reply #556569 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

@anon the Tigers were selling out The Cage in 2013-14

Also I'm not sure if you're from Melbourne or not but The Cage is a few kms out of the city and *much* less accessible than the Tennis precint for the majority of Melbournians.

If you live in the East (like 70% of Melbourne) and you want to get to Hisense, you get off at Richmond and walk 5-10 minutes. If you want to get to The Cage you have to go in to the city, wait up to 30 mins (on weekend) for connecting train on the Upfield line (or catch a tram up Elizabeth street, past hospital etc), spend extra 10-15 mins on public transport, then it's a 5-10 min walk to the stadium.

So getting to The Cage could take upwards of *half an hour* extra.

The Cage was simply not very accessible for Melbournians. Yet, with some marketing by Kestleman they started selling it out. And when they decided to move to Hisense, surprise surprise they start getting big crowds. And then they tell us the Tigers brand doesnt work. And here we are 18 months later and they're giving away tickets and they still couldn't get much over 5k last Friday.

I'm a bball man, and I've kept going to games (and I have tried to calm down fellow ex Tigers fans who,unlike me refuse to attend United games). But, the simple facts at this minute show that the United move was unnecessary.

Reply #556575 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm sorry, but all those suggesting that United "release" the Tigers brand aren't thinking straight.
WHO then owns the history and the championships they've won? United are going to look bloody stupid laying claim to Tigers' history when the Tigers are playing as a separate entity.
Why on earth would United want to split what fans they have?

Only way to "bring them back" is to convince management to reverse the process.
A tough ask, but slightly more chance of success.

I can understand what management were trying to do, But as somebody that appreciates history, I think it was a silly move.
Personally, and this is just an opinion, I think the uniforms are bland, and the name is boring. What do they even have as a mascot? Somebody dressed like a member of the BLF?
Tigers are cute, Tigers are ferocious, Tigers have claws, Tigers roar. What does a united do? Man a picket line?

I appreciate the dilemma they faced, but what have they really solved? Those who remember the Tigers as rivals will not be fooled by the change of name.

I reckon they would have been better off trademarking the Tigers' name, then telling the amateur teams "sorry you can't use the name anymore, here's $100k, change your name and go buy some new uniforms".

Reply #556577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz the present Tigers junior club is the original club, NBL Tigers were a commercial offshoot when professionalism took ahold. Laughable comment that a club with history going back tothe 1920s would change their name for a few bucks, and for a mickey mouse franchise that will go under eventually like most other NBL teams.

Reply #556582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FK UNITED!

Reply #556583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers? Pfft.

Bring back the Dragons.

Reply #556593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back CHURCH I say. But all the kiddly widlets here wouldn't know.
Dragons walked and who cares.

Reply #556595 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dazz the present Tigers junior club is the original club, NBL Tigers were a commercial offshoot when professionalism took ahold.
I'm actually well aware of the history of the club.
Laughable comment that a club with history going back tothe 1920s
What you don't seem to realise is that the Tigers name was only applied MUCH later.
I know for some time they were known As Melbourne CHurch, then I THINK Melbourne Church Tigers, before dropping the Church.

I don't know for certain, but I would bet dollars that when the Franchise was finally sold the rights to the Melbourne Tigers name went with it. Hence the amateur club has ALREADY given up their name "for a few bucks." The franchise would have been within their legal rights to trademark the name and stop the amateur club using it.

Alternatively, if you are suggesting that the Amateur club retained those rights, then absolutely Gaze and go should get behind a rebirth of the Tigers brand.

As for Melbourne being a "mickey mouse franchise that will go under", ROFL. Their owner now owns the whole league. They are probably THE most secure franchise in the history of the NBL.
Whether they will continue with their boring uniforms and name, well we'll have to wait and see.
The irony of Dodo's being a extinct FLIGHTLESS bird doesn't seem to have impacted "Internet that Flies," so maybe they can become the Melbourne Dodos? LOL.

Reply #556602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United has been a terrible experiment. Who thought it would be a good idea? The numbers have not improved even with s huge push of the new branding.

Tigers has history. Andrew gaze was the face of the game for so many years.

Time to bring back the Tigers. Who cares about some issues in the junior program.

Reply #556611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh Dazz

Reply #556612 | Report this post

Dexter  
Years ago

lol @Tigers.
Bring back the Dragons

Reply #556616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are giving away about 1000 tickets for each game

Reply #556625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every chance in 2 seasons LKG may walk dazz.

Reply #556633 | Report this post

Blitzed  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze cares about Andrew Gaze and that's it! he wanted to shut down your 'historical' league! LK, whether you like him or not, wants the game to be great in Australia, and he is willing to put his money where his mouth is!

I was a Tigers Junior, and loved going to Tigers games as a kid, but I love the NBL as a whole, way more than one team, so if the Tigers don't return to the NBL, so be it.

Sounds like some of you guys should go and join AG in making the SEABL the premier league in Australia.

One the giving away of tickets, well good on them, get more families enjoying it again, create the demand, and put on a good show! LK didn't making money because he was stupid, but I'm sure some of you keyboard millionaire's have a way better way....?

For the record, I'm not a Melb United fan, I just love the league and the game, and I think Australian basketball is at its playing peak at the moment and heading upwards!

The league was run into the ground by the 'job for the boys' system that they had since the mid 90's and the wise ones failed time and time again, it was fitting that they finally got a true business person to run the league and not amateurs. Well done LK and anyone else involved!

Reply #556636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dragons colours and log in a new franchise with new people is the way to go, forget the past people who were cocking it up, just bring back a team that we want to support against the Tiger/United Ball Breakers!

Reply #556644 | Report this post

Gman  
Years ago

Tigers had some of the greatest teams in NBL history. Not from Melbourne myself but as a basketball fan I want to see the Tigers back in the league.
Just like a team from Brisbane should be the bullets, Melbourne should have the Tigers.

Reply #556649 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"As for Melbourne being a "mickey mouse franchise that will go under", ROFL. Their owner now owns the whole league. They are probably THE most secure franchise in the history of the NBL."

Dazz, you're joking if you think United is “secure” in any meaningful sense of the word.

LK is a businessman, more than a basketball man. He said it himself, in almost those exact words. Now, if in 2 or 3 years it becomes clear that basketball is costing this business man some money, what makes you think he will stick around? What makes you think he won’t bail like Fiddes or Cowan before him?

Very few professional sports franchises are “secure”. Especially Australian basketball ones.

Now, from a business stand point LK has missed the upside but still has the down side. He gambled on the upside of creating a new brand but as I outlined above, it hasn’t worked- to date. But he’s got down side risk because United doesn’t have the brand loyalty that the Tigers had. In other words if United starts losing games then there’s nothing to keep the fans around.

There is a small number of people who simply love the sport and will attend games as long as there’s a professional franchise in Melbourne. I am one of these people. When the Dragons entered the league in 2006 I went to a handful of their games and supported them- even though I was a fully paid up Tigers member, a parochial Tigers fan who was attending every Tigers game and doing media work for the Tigers at the time. (Along with the myriad of other stuff I had going on in my life). So yeah, you could argue my support is fairly secure.

But there’s also loads of people who aren’t like me. Most people gradually get an attachment to a sporting name, a brand, they go along to have a good time and support their team. Call these people the “goodwill contingent” who follow each team - if you want to use a financial/business analogy. The stronger the attachment to the “club”, the stronger the goodwill component.

LK has massively p!ssed off the goodwill contingent of Tigers fans, which is why the majority of Tigers members are not supporting United. But United has not had time to build the good will yet. So United is in a high risk/high reward phase of their existence. Given the high risk at this present time, it is bordering on lunacy to suggest they are “secure”.

Reply #556651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blitzed Im with you, always been a 36er fan, but these days its more about an overall league to be proud of! Business people need to run the business side of things and leave the former on court starts to coach, commentate or prove them selves through the business ranks like every other business type.

As much as I would love the Tigers, Falcons, Bullets, hell even Gold Coast Rollers all back in the league, the older I get the more I understand blind fan nostalgia can only go so far, sports is money and it needs to be handled the right way to money makes money.

Reply #556659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So of the reported $6-7mill and with the potential demise of the crocs looming, they will be replaced with the Bullets.
How much has been spent and wasted (Crocs) already this year?
How much of that startup money will be spent of the Bullets to make them competitive immediately? $3mill? Doesn't leave a whole lot left for the remaining year to make a go of it does it.
How much has been spent and wasted (Crocs) already this year?

Reply #556661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No money has been wasted on the Crocs, this year, they are a team competing in the NBL and money spent on them is to protect their brand and the brand of the NBL. So much doom and gloom talk purely because people think the Crocs suck for sake of sucking. They are a different product when playing out of the Swamp..

Reply #556676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not worry about the crowds then, shall we?

Reply #556689 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

They just need to get rid of the grey with green stripes strip and they'll be sweet. Ain't no fan gonna buy that off ya racks.

Reply #556691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The crowds, they have played one home game! And it was the night of the Cowboys team dinner. Their situation is not ideal, but wouldn't it be nice to try and look towards a league that could sustain them and future teams. The RSL debacle was just ugly but give them a chance to market things better up there and see how they go once they play a few games at home. On court they've been competitive.

Reply #556692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much will the 51% stake be worth when he sells it?

Reply #556701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victoria is crying out for another NBL team in Melbourne!

Reply #556705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame they still haven't published the crowd figures yet. Let's hope it was only a once off eh.

Reply #556717 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Crowd was reportedly 5,243, which is about what it looked like.

Reply #556722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV think he meant the first Crocs game.

Reply #556794 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh god no, don't bring back the Tigers, I agree bring back the Dragons...

Reply #556807 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Can't believe all the weirdos saying "bring back the Dragons"?
A flash in the pan franchise with no history, no culture, and a destructive owner who spat the dummy, took his ball and ran home after first buying a championship and then falling out with the league.

I agree that "Nostalgia" alone is not enough. We need viable teams in viable locations.
I don't say we should bring back say The Falcons just for the lols. I tend to think that Newcastle as a city and region could "support" a team, and I think if you want to rebirth a team there then it makes more sense to tap into history, then invent yet another new team. But the same rules of viability and sustainability apply. (Mostly you someone or something with deep pockets.)

As for Melbourne being secure, yes they are the most secure franchise in the league.
Will LK nix Melbourne whilst he controls the league, I don't think so.
Could LK walk away from the lot when his 3 years are up. Possibly, but that STILL gives Melbourne more security than anyone else.
If the League folds, then any remaining franchises are pretty much dead in the water. Any franchise is a year to year (or week to week) proposition, relying on strong backers. Even the Cats, without Bendat, would take only a few bad financial years to be knocked on their ass.
I'd also point out, that if in the future we had a viable league, but Melbourne needed a new backer, they've got a better chance of finding the money in Melbourne tan most other teams.

From all that, I'm not arguing that from an outsider's perspective the re-branding of Melbourne was questionable. As I've said, the current brand is boring and unappealing.
Whether it is even possible to go back to the Tigers brand, (or to reinvent the brand as a new team) is probably a complex legal question around ownership of the actual rights.

Reply #556815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, confusing as always.

BRING BACK THE DRAGONS!

Reply #556885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz calling other weirdos, now that is weird.

Reply #556886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got to agree with Dazz. Who cares about dragons?! Bring back the Tigers. The face of the NBL has always been the Tigers foh with united.

Reply #556891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys don't get it, Tigers are dead, they are now the United Ballers so what Melbourne needs is competition to give people another team to follow and a rival not the same sh*t with a different agenda. Dragons can come back as a totally new outfit, new people and new backers and they would be much better than regurgitating the Tigers.

Otherwise, neither of them, just create a new team altogether or go to the country and bring back the Supercats or bring in the Braves from Bendigo, rather them than the Tigers every day of the week.

Reply #556922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Braves from Bendigo. They are a solid team and always at the top of SEABL. They have a proud history and big fanbase. I believe they have a lot of funding on the way for their already big stadium. also a central hub for all country Victoria towns.

Reply #556986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And they are not held back in using their club name with LK owning the rights either!

Reply #556988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez Dazz are the drugs you on working?
The Dragons owner (Cowan) was smart enough to not continue on because the current NBL model they had was unsustainable, and he was proved correct.
Seamus despite initially withdrawing and re entered the Tigers into that already flawed model and look what happened!
How was Cowan a destructive owner? Please explain.

Reply #556994 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My recollection was Cowan wanted to continue with the broken model, rather than adopt the smaller-spending model BA was proposing.

There was also the situation with Visy at the time, and there was speculation that with some funding uncertainty the Dragons owners weren't unhappy to end the losses after a championship?

Reply #556998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't matter really, now does it? That was all a decade ago and as long as the new NBL team isn't the Tigers it would be fine, so Dragons can come back.

Tigers can't!

Tigers franchise is Melb United, just wearing different colours.
Tigers name can't be used because LK will not allow it.

End of story right there, so I suggest DAZZ and all the Victorian Tiger lovers out there stick with Richmond!

Reply #557002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey DAZZ, here is a question for you, if United win the championship this year has LK bought it? According to your logic, as stupid as it is, this is what Dragons did!

Reply #557003 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The posts by Anonymous above show the diversity of views on this subject.

You have Tigers fans who refuse to support United because they feel like Kestleman is a mercenary who has unnecessarily trashed the name and destroyed the history of the club they support. The majority of Tigers members and fans I know fall into this category.

Then you have Tigers fans who have accepted United and started supporting them. There could be multiple reasons: Not overly offended by the change, or like individual players on United's team, or just love basketball more so than any individual club. I fall mostly into this last category, but also loved watching Walker and now Goulding being ex Tigers favourites.

Then you have non Tigers people, ie: Magic/Dragons/The "other side" people who have jumped on board with United, because they are no longer the Tigers and now there’s a team in Melbourne they feel like they can support.

And then you have non Tigers people who refuse to support United because they claim they’re just Tigers v2.0. Like our anonymous friend.

What a schmozzle.

One thing that does annoy me is this: It would’ve been better for the long term prospects of the NBL in Melbourne if Kestleman had kept the Tigers name. And as I’ve demonstrated in this thread, that would hardly have been any better or worse for his business than the new situation has turned out to be.

Reply #557010 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

To clarify, what I meant by that last comment was that it would've been easier for a new, 2nd NBL team in Melbourne if Kestleman had kept the Tigers name.

It would’ve been easier for someone else to get a new club off the group that it now will be.

Reply #557011 | Report this post

"The Dragons owner (Cowan) was smart enough to not continue on because the current NBL model they had was unsustainable, and he was proved correct.
Seamus despite initially withdrawing and re entered the Tigers into that already flawed model and look what happened!"

What a terrible leap of logic right there.

Reply #557014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dazz, confusing as always"

Here, I'll fix it for you...

"Dazz, confused as always"

Reply #557015 | Report this post

Bears  
Years ago

Forget the Tigers and the Dragons, get the Frankston Bears back into the NBL!

Reply #557016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was only a matter of time before the BA model failed and then the NBL's model.
No reason to assume that in 2 more season's time the current model will be successful either.
Let's hope the CLB get's it right.

Reply #557020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only question is this:

Does LK want to allow a second Victorian team?

If the answer is no, we are stuffed, if the answer is yes, then when and how will be more important than who!

But the who can't be the Tigers no matter what eventuates.

Reply #557033 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The change to United was because LK does NOT own the brand name and refused to continue to inject huge loads of cash building a brand he does not own the rights to. Simple as that. If you don't believe me look up who owns the brand name Melbourne Tigers.

Reply #557041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who owns it then?

Reply #557042 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Rumour was McPeake retained rights.

Reply #557043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't matter though, does it. No one wants to go there any more, it is now way going to be popular enough to return to Tigers. I like the country idea, maybe Bendigo could give it a crack down the track?

If not, then a new franchise in Melbourne would be the go, but not the Tigers, that would turn me off NBL basketball in Victoria for good!

Reply #557046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The junior club has ultimate rights to it, which my be tied up with McPeake? It is to protect the historic club.

Reply #557067 | Report this post

Jay B  
Years ago

No NBL should exist without the Tigers/Cannons/Falcons/Bullets brands.. ;)

Reply #557085 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Don't know how true this is, but I heard the IP had been split between into two parts, professional and amateur level, with McPeake and the junior club owning each respectively. Someone who knows more feel free to confirm or otherwise.

Reply #557098 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

OK, this is what I have been able to figure out so far:
There are three legal entities (companies in this case) in play:

a) There is a "Melbourne Tigers Basketball Ltd." This company is public and limited by GUARANTEE which is common for sporting clubs and other NFPs.
However this appears to be a relatively new company, registered only last year.

b) "Melbourne Tigers Pty Ltd", a private company, changed its name to "Melbourne United Basketball Club Pty Ltd." Self-explanatory really.

c) "Melbourne Tigers Basketball Club Ltd" is a public company. This is the INTERESTING one.
Up until October 2013, under BA, it was listed as the NBL club.
It owns the registered business names for the Juniors and Mens amateurs.
IMPORTANTLY, it owns ALL (3) registered trademarks for Melbourne Tigers.
As a public company, there is a little more info available, however according to the last info I could find Michael Slepoy was the Chairman and LK was a board member.

So in summary, "Melbourne Tigers Basketball Club Ltd" (a public company) is the one to watch.
Who owns the shares is the BIG question.
I think that as a public company if you do a full paid search it should show that information, as well as who the current board members are.
I haven't done a paid search, but I will continue to dig up what I can.

Reply #557197 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As a public company, there is a little more info available, however according to the last info I could find Michael Slepoy was the Chairman and LK was a board member.
Oops, should have said Selpoy was the CEO.

Reply #557199 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Oops, should have spelled his name right...

Reply #557206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget the Melbourne Tigers bring back the Glenelg Tigers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenelg_Tigers_(NBL)

Reply #557210 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Keep digging DAZZ, but all you may find is a deeper grave!

Reply #557302 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:24 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754