Baller#3
Years ago

SA district Basketball

With all the crap going on with "not-fully-timed-gate" is it time for a rival to pounce and create a rival state league? If all the smaller teams left BSA to a new league it could be the catalyst for others to jump ship. Of course it would at first be of lesser quality, but if try focus on providing a good solid product for the players, it could work.

Convince:
Church
Western
Adelaide uni
Flinders uni
UniSA

Convince them to jump ship along with a 6th club for a new state league, a bold move that could work.

Possibility of having a seniors/reserves Comp including some country teams.
Yorkers, Pirie, Whyalla, Lincoln, Augusta, Riverland and Barossa, Murray bridge could all be potential targets.

Topic #38249 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you do can you please get senior scores updated on the nights of the games! It can't be that hard to do when it is all online!

Reply #556610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First 3 rounds are paper scoresheets. Players havent been registered by their clubs through sportingpulse. So kinda not online

Reply #556614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And where would this competition be played?

Reply #556618 | Report this post

TheFoxHat  
Years ago

Forget about western and church why not make a Uni based league. The Uni's have the best courts in SA and if they allow new sides in their competition I'm sure it would take off. If your sticking with Baller3's idea the sith team (oops Sixth) should be United Districts.

Reply #556637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry guys, I like the fact that you're thinking outside the square but this is the silliest idea ever.

Reply #556653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd suggest do this for Div 3 and below and invite all the district clubs to nominate as well.

BSA would lose $2500 per week and that would all be able to go to running the comp.

Where will BSA find the lost $100K that this competition generates after referee's and CSO is taken out?

Reply #556667 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

"The Uni's have the best courts in SA and if they allow new sides in their competition I'm sure it would take off."

I don't think Flinders uni gym quite fits this for mine.

Reply #556702 | Report this post

lolball  
Years ago

flinders uni have 2 gyms with basketball courts
1 is on main campus, looks like it should be surrounded by a dirt car park

but there is one on Sturt campus, has new floorboards, backboards are old but still are better than some of the stadiums we play at now, only down side is no scoreboard or shot clock or seating

Reply #556712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus Old Scholars - PAC and Saint Peters have strong clubs too

Reply #556726 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

From the comments here it seems like it is a great option, and probably just needs someone to actually do it.

Reply #556750 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind the premier league being structured more like the sanfl is:

Seniors
Reserves
U18s
U16s

Then a more grassroots level like the Saafl could become the second tier.
Seniors
Reserves
U18s
U16s
U14s
U12s

Reply #556753 | Report this post

Beside the Mawson Lakes uni. Which universities have good courts. They're all disgusting.

Mawson Lakes ain't even tgat great. It's just that its glass boards make it acceptable

Reply #556756 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Don't Church own the Arena????

Reply #556770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baller#3, not meaning to sound rude, but how old are you?

Reply #556863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

church do own the arena ... along with scouts

Reply #556906 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

Should probably factor in no free parking at the unis and that they shut their gyms for 6-7 weeks a year for exams.

Reply #558805 | Report this post

lolball  
Years ago

chewie uni parking is free after 5

and exams dont happen on campus for Unisa

flinders uni exams all finish at latest 6 pm when operated within the gyms (i work at flinders uni)

Reply #558806 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Good call on the parking, but you have more faith than I do with this. Current state of Flinders uni financially and I can easily see them making a grab for cash for parking out of hours, but thats just my cynical self probably.

Exams - yep you are correct, but my understanding was the gym is booked out for the full exam period at flinders, so they don't have to move the chairs around etc. for the start of each day?

Note the floors take a beating as you'd expect.

I do like how we have gotten into this level detail on a hypothetical.

Reply #558865 | Report this post

lolball  
Years ago

flinders have 2 gyms
1 gets its floor boards done end of every year, so it is actually not to bad, the main campus gym is pretty bad

the main campus gym would not allow games as there is WAY to many chairs but the 2nd gym might as most of the exams are done in the class rooms attached to the gym and there would be storage space for the chairs onsite

flinders may be in financial issue but if they make people pay to park it means they would have to pay ticket inspectors double time meaning they could potentially lose money if they are paying a guy 50 bucks an hour to check that 12 cars have paid 4 bucks that would last them 2 hours

i thought hoops was all about hypothetical situations, thats why we are here

Reply #558905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flinders needs to recoup the $1mil missing after the Chris Fuss affair.

His parole review date was July 2015 anyone know if he is out?

Reply #558909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^yup. Under a different name now.

Reply #558922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is he up to?

Reply #558927 | Report this post

Yeh Nah  
Years ago

I agree with Baller#3 re: the structure of the league/games..

Seniors (A), reserves (B) & C grade.. then 18's, 16's etc. Why can't they organise it like football/soccer etc.. play the juniors at the same stadium on the same day just before the games so they can get some spectators to stick around?

I've hung up the boots now anyway, having a child and arranging a sitter to drive half way across the city to play a div 3 game that is literally timed as a social game, it is hardly worth it and it is not cheap either!

It sucks how bball is held back in this country.

Reply #569662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeh nah ... so when to lower divisions play?
when do 12s and 14s play?
how can you fit in fully timed games and 16s, 18,s A, B & C on one night?

and new timing rules are literally NOT the same as social but don't let reality and the truth spoil your story.

Reply #569669 | Report this post

Yeh Nah  
Years ago

why does it have to be a night?

Most stadiums have more than one court.. start the games early in the day with them finishing in the early evening.. You'll never pull big numbers to basketball on a Saturday night (unless it is Sixers).

Reply #569674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cause stadiums aren't available on Saturdays.

And it conflicts with other sports.

Reply #569684 | Report this post

Yeh Nah  
Years ago

Of course..

So you're telling me there are NO stadiums free anywhere on a SaturDAY or SunDAY? I used to play junior district basketball on a Saturday morning.

If we have the "It conflicts with other sports" mentality forever, then no-one will choose basketball. The decision to make it the other mid-week sport option is what kills it. Why are the other sports on Saturday and Sunday? Maybe because it works?

Reply #569722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant use Wayville, Pasadena, Marion or Morphettvale due to church and domestic competitions.

Reply #569741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

St Clair and Port have domestic comps

Reply #569756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

changing for no reason makes no sense.

disrupting 1000s of players commitments for no benefit makes no sense.

People work Saturday's these days. It's already a major issue why create further problems?

What exactly is wrong with the current system?

Reply #569760 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yeh na - unless you are currently involved and understand when everyone plays and where and the true status of courts perhaps you should not comment on what use to be. Pretty much every court at BSA and none BSA stadiums is taken weeknights and weekends with district, domestic, school, social, aussie hoops basketball and other sports who share facilities. Trust us when we say there is no courts available this weekend. Any spare are taken for a tournament that has players from out of town as well and they are only available to the tournament organisers because other regular users have broken off for holidays. Over holidays many players go to tournaments and stadiums are sanded and coated ready for another year. Stadiums are also used for state training and development squads and camps for new and existing players. It is not as simple as you suggest.. You need to also understand that half of district in juniors never comes across the other half. That is the division between 1/2 and those 3 and below. One is a Thurs Friday nights and the other Saturday mornings. So those options are taken. Non district is Saturday afternoons and Sundays are trainings for clubs and other sports use some of the courts.

Reply #569774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and Saturday nights during winter have Premier League, Church basketball puts a pretty big footprint on stadiums on Saturday arvo. Good luck in finding a venue to play your new comp.

Reply #569782 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754