Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Round 3

Round 3 tips off tonight

Thu: UCC-SEQ
Fri: DAN-BEN
Sat: BEN-UCC, SYD-MEL, TSV-ADL
Sun: PER-DAN, SEQ-ADL

Looking forward to seeing how Perth handles Dandenong on Sunday.

Topic #38268 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any games on TV?

Reply #557039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing, Lauren Jackson will miss tonight with an illness. She just can't get back onto the court fast enough for the Capitals. Stars letdown last week on the road vs the Rangers and hard to see which way this game goes. Capitals embarrassed last week by the Fire. Hard to back them even at home with their depleted roster. Is Bishop back to normal mins now and has Renee Montgomery joined them yet?

Reply #557048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any games on Fox?

Reply #557049 | Report this post

Years ago

SEQ by double figures - until Monty and LJ return then they will factor IMO. Lightning getting a big challenge this week.

Reply #557061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect a similar winning margain for Townsville again this week. Perth will struggle against Dandy, their bigs should be able to contain Tomlinson, but look for Whitcomb to step up her scoring if she can get the ball in the hole

Reply #557069 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Far worse than just an illness for LJ.
According to John Tuxworth:
"Yep Lauren Jackson is out for another month with a knee strain. Will update this later in day. More news coming with this I hear"

Haven't heard any news on Montgomery but she was supposed to arrive either Tuesday or yesterday, so fingers crossed that they can start easing her into the lineup from tonight (... or just throw her straight into the deep end with 40 minutes)

Reply #557095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah man, thats horrible news for Jackson. She cant catch a break at all. Maybe its times to hang up the boots? SEQ should control this game in a big way with Mansfield and Stallworth. Any news on when Allen will be back for SEQ and Phillips? The Stars can only last so long using a small rotation and the Capitals are short as well. Think the Stars win this one but I think the Capitals can keep it a little respectful.

Thanks for the updates Luuuc.

Reply #557096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is wrong with the Capitals shooting? They have been horrible this game and vs the Fire. Can't hit anything at all

Reply #557105 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

These issues that the WNBL have with their live scores are annoying and pretty embarrassing too. With no broadcast deal in place, people are more reliant than ever on the live scores, and they are failing regularly.
Tonight's one froze at half time and has been stuck there ever since.

Game is over now - SEQ converting a 10 point half time lead into a huge 95-58 win.

Would be nice if the WNBL could at least tweet a score each quarter when their website fails :-/

Reply #557125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Luuuc. You would think because of no TV deal that they website would be decent and keep the scores up to date. I use livescores.com to monitor the game but sometimes that can be slow as well. Huge win for the Stars. Good road win for them. Capitals, i don't know what to say about them.

Reply #557129 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Ditto above posts re the Livestats demise and the absence of a TV deal.

Good win though for the Stars, Canberra were probably gutted by that LJ news.

Reply #557145 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Wow Payne was on Fire! Huge game and amazing shooting. That's was some easy money I made tonight!

Reply #557156 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Boxscore is fixed now:
http://www.fibalivestats.com/u/wnbl/137231/

Great to see Nads have a game like that after what she's been through over the last year.

Article about Lauren:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/canberra-capitals-play-down-lauren-jackson-injury-setback-after-another-loss-20151022-gkfs6i.html

Reply #557189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will there be a You Tube game this weekend? I haven't seen anything as yet!

Reply #557266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its safe to say Canberra haven't gotten great value out of this contract they signed LJ to.

Reply #557267 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

LJ is a great player but I'm not sure why so many think she can be Canberra's saviour, she hasn't played in a long time and our league is better than ever, much better than when she played in it last time. Both the Stars and the Fire would have beaten Canberra even with LJ at her best, doubt she could make 40pts difference in a match anymore.

Reply #557276 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Lauren Mansfield with a near triple-double! She's looking the goods early.

Reply #557284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to the game tonight.

Dandenong vs Bendigo. Great game. Bendigo head back home tomorrow to face the Capitals. Dandenong are a really tall team and have plenty of fire power where the Spirit's fire power hasn't impressed me at all this year so far. Think the Rangers take this game tonight.

Reply #557301 | Report this post

amominous  
Years ago

Yes, she is a good pick-up for the Stars. A great SEABL season with Reece Potter's Launceston Tornadoes meant she started the WNBL season in peak fitness. It's a wonderful chance for her to develop further working with the quality players on the Stars roster.

Reply #557306 | Report this post

amominous  
Years ago

I don't know about tonight's game? No Clydesdale means that Rangers back-court might struggle a bit, whilst with Gabe Richards doubtful Spirit's front court might struggle against those Rangers bigs. And if Gabe doesn't play, Rangers become almost unbackable favourites.

Reply #557312 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sounds like you'll be jumping on board the Rangers at -6.5 points then?
Head to head it's $1.32 - $3.25

Reply #557346 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

I got money on Bendigo, If Griffin plays well they have a chance in every game they play.

Reply #557368 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

The thing about the Spirit this season IMO, is that, if they are to reach the post-season at all, Griffin, Richards, Snell and Kelly Wilson will all have to play major minutes and produce consistently high performances in virtually every game. That's a big ask.

Reply #557380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah was looking at the +6.5 line tonight for the Spirit. Seems like a lot for a team as good as the Spirit but then again, the Rangers have impressed me this season especially against the Stars last weekend. The total seems a bit high, i think this game goes under 152.5 points.

Reply #557383 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Big win to Dandy, Snell shoots 1 of 11, that wont get you a win.

Reply #557516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do we think about tonight's games?

I really think the Boomers can bounce back and keep this game competitive with the Flames. Lightning no chance against the Fire and the same with Capitals. Snell to bounce back tonight and I think they win comfortably.

Reply #557774 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Fire $1.03, Lightning $10.00

Fire still feel like great value to me at that price :p

Flames $1.35, Boomers $3.01

One slip-up against an on-fire Louella Tomlinson shouldn't see Melbourne out that far IMO. They're a fairly shallow team but I love their starting 5.
But tonight I think the Flames front line should be too much for Melbourne to handle. Livvy & Elyse are going to need to work their arses off and also stay out of foul trouble, which is a huge ask against the class of Swords & Tinkle.
I think Kunek is crucial for the Boomers in this one. If she plays aggressively and is on target, and the bigs can hold their own, they can win this. But I still like the Flames.

No odds on Sportsbet for Spirit-Caps.
I don't like Canberra. Never have. Hope they cop another hiding :p Pretty confident that it won't be close. Carn Spirit!

Reply #557777 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Yeah $3 not bad for the Boomers. I lost money on Bendigo this week, not much only $10, to be honest I was never that confident but their price was good. Waiting for my Rugby bets to come in before I bet on WNBL again, probably next week.
GO All Blacks!

Reply #557823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rio =

Phillips/mitchell
Taylor/allen/madgen
Talbot/ohea
Griffin/Francis/penaluna
Cambage/tolo

Jarry will probably get nod over ohea
Jackson injured again. Maybe done?
Batkovic a possibility at centre over tolo?

Reply #557852 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Flames-Boomers was neck-and-neck for the first half, but Sydney gradually pulled away to get the win by 7 despite Swords' foul trouble.
Massive games by Tupaea & Ebzery for Sydney, and Madgen & Penaluna for Melbourne. Sounds like a beauty.

Caps gave the Spirit a serious scare until a 24-9 4th quarter got Bendigo home by 11. Talbot huge but not enough help. Griffin & Richards too much to handle.

Fire in the process of blowing the Lightning off the court as expected. 57-24 at half time

Reply #557857 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Graf will just blame injuries again, really she is a great coach....yeah right!

Reply #557872 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Holy sheeeeeet ... 88-30 at the final break :O

Both teams have missed 8 3-pointers.
Pity Adelaide have only attempted 8. Townsville have launched 19.

Reply #557873 | Report this post

Dman  
Years ago

104-41 to the Fire! Did the lightning even show up?

Reply #557892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fire & Lightning couldn't find any coverage of this one or any other games. Closest I got to seeing them was on the Weather Channel. National Women's Bush League get a broadcaster ffs

Reply #557894 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Lightning were better off with the Marino's.

Reply #557930 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

Shooting % for adel and fire explains a bit

Reply #557931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spirit's worst decision was signing Snell 2 years ago instead of promoting a local Country Vic kid in Maddie Garrick. Now they're left with a player who for some time now can only finish plays by shooting a 3 and nothing else, whilst the creative, athletic, up and comer who can finish plays with a 3 and oh so much more, has moved on to greener pastures.

Reply #557932 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Unfortunate as it is for Spirit fans and creditors, there were 250k plus compelling reasons for the departure en masse of Blicavs, Penaluna, Roberts, Garrick and Lavey.

A strong win for Bendigo against an improving Canberra team. Steph Talbot's performances have been really eye-catching amidst the turmoil, and won't have escaped the attention of the Opals HC.

Despite there first up surprise defeat, life is all rainbows, sunshine and lollipops for the Townsville Fire!! Quite a leisurely front-end to their season schedule. For Adelaide, mere survival and instituting their new management model might continue to be their biggest wins.

It was a great game at Brydens Stadium last night. The venue had apparently been declared a 'defence free zone' for the evening. Among a host of great performances, Tahlia Tupaea produced a staggering career best.

Reply #557936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um, i think Sportsbet have made a massive mistake. IM jumping on it now. Dandy are +7.5 against Perth according to them

Reply #557955 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

You sure you read that right? It's correct now (-7.5) but if you got on them at +7.5 well done!
Rangers $1.25, Lynx $3.75.

I don't think I've seen this before:
$1.01 is too generous for SEQ against the Lightning today, so Sportsbet have them at $1.005 instead. Ouch!
Based on that it seems wrong that Adelaide are paying only $17. I'd be wanting $50+ I reckon.

Reply #557973 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not WNBL but I may as well put it here ...

Cambage hasn't taken long to get back into the swing of things in China.
A flurry of games to start off their season, and she got
* 31 & 7 last weekend
* 25 on Tuesday
* 22 & 18 on Thursday
* 40 & 13 yesterday

Solid game for Penny yesterday too with 19 points & 8 steals in a 1 point win.

Reply #557979 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

No Pickrel for Dandenong?

Reply #558102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

O'Hea hasn't met criteria for Opals selection as she didn't attend camps so not considered for Rio.

Reply #558174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry then?
Or would you move say griffin to sf?

Reply #558205 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sami Whitcomb you're a legend

Reply #558215 | Report this post

queenie  
Years ago

Yes outstanding

Reply #558227 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Blicavs very good for Rangers by the stats, but a gritty home win for the Lynx, who are doing just fine.

Reply #558242 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, Blicavs was indeed very good.
I'm not quite sure about this point-forward role they've got her playing atm. She's a good passer but I don't know that you want her spending too much time with the ball in her hands. It's great to see her developing as a player though. Always had potential but I felt she was stagnating a bit lately. Playing under Larissa really seems to be working for her.

Not sure why Pickrel didn't play today. Did she pick up an injury in the Spirit game?

Reply #558275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lynx are 3-1 and the preseason post on here had them almost dead last.

Reply #558378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burton really should play gk for the netball diamonds...
She'd be great at it. Basketball is not her game.
With her foot speed, length, height and lateral quickness.... She would be great alongside geitz or Layton.

Reply #558382 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah those 9 boards in 25 minutes were useless to us yesterday

Reply #558387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burton is one of the few players that is a role player at every level, and that is fine.

She won't ever be a big scorer although she will defend, run the floor, block some shots or just be long around the basket and protect the rim, roll hard to the basket out of the pick n roll and rebound.

Most teams can use a player like that who is able to have an impact on the game without needing a lot of touches. That is why she was handy at the world champs because you don't want to put together a team where all 5 players on the court want to be shooting and scoring all the time.

Reply #558388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need O'Hea for Rio.

Reply #558389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that was random

Reply #558398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lynx are 3-1 and the preseason post on here had them almost dead last."

Golden rule is the people on here are fans not experts.

Reply #558481 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

... and the other golden rule is that they are 4 games into the season, so let's not get too carried away just yet. Perth have has good starts to the season before and then completely failed to go on with it.
It should also be noted that both our home wins have come against teams with quality players missing. (Cox & Swords for Sydney, and Pickrel, Cunningham & Clydesdale for Dandenong)

Reply #558521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are going to the Olympic Games for goodness sakes not a domestic tournament and playing up against WNBA players. These are the best in the world. We can't take player who can dos little bit here and there we need 12 players who can dominate on a world stage. I get it Joyce loves Burton and Lacey but truly we will be destroyed having them in the team

Reply #558586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin at either 3/4, flipped between them both most of her pro career anyway, at least at the Connecticut Sun.

Reply #558587 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

I had the Lynx as a preseason playoff chance. Any team except Adelaide and Canberra could make the playoffs...great tight season again.

Reply #558616 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"We can't take player who can dos little bit here and there we need 12 players who can dominate on a world stage."

Unless FIBA are introducing an increase in the number of balls on the court the players who fill roles to allow others to shine are just as important as those who can dominate.

Reply #558619 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754